2017-2018 Florida International University

Started by Lucca
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys! A couple questions because I wont be able to go to Second Look Weekend.

1. When do classes typically start and when do most people move in?
2. What are good neighborhoods to live in?
 
Hey guys! A couple questions because I wont be able to go to Second Look Weekend.

1. When do classes typically start and when do most people move in?
2. What are good neighborhoods to live in?
I got you future classmate lol!


Classes (mostly orientation) start August 6. Most ppl move in July. Safe places to live at are on the FB group someone posted an Google docs spreadsheet with diff complexes like

-Doral View
-Cordoba
-Amli Doral
-The Manor
-Vista Verde
Etc.
 
I got you future classmate lol!


Classes (mostly orientation) start August 6. Most ppl move in July. Safe places to live at are on the FB group someone posted an Google docs spreadsheet with diff complexes like

-Doral View
-Cordoba
-Amli Doral
-The Manor
-Vista Verde
Etc.


Thanks! You rock
 

just saw this...scary...

I was watching yesterday on our local news that this happened right in front of their medical school.

I went there for undergrad but it's not really close to the medical school

The bridge is actually within 100 yards of the main M1 classroom building. Us M2's were in class at another building when the collapse happened. Oddly, we neither felt nor heard anything. However, many of our faculty preceptors and actual M2's who had been outside when it happened ran to the site and were clearing rubble off of survivors. I'm very proud of the faculty members who ran out there, white coats and all, and got into the thick of it. Terrible tragedy on campus though.
 
Match Results 2018
 

Attachments

  • 895A164F-D84C-4874-88EF-2B98F231FEF6.jpeg
    895A164F-D84C-4874-88EF-2B98F231FEF6.jpeg
    86.1 KB · Views: 277
  • B8251C17-0BDC-4FE5-A83B-1D3BC7A1D64D.jpeg
    B8251C17-0BDC-4FE5-A83B-1D3BC7A1D64D.jpeg
    81.7 KB · Views: 249
  • 13250A9E-62A3-4418-975A-80D4A53307D6.jpeg
    13250A9E-62A3-4418-975A-80D4A53307D6.jpeg
    83.1 KB · Views: 236
  • AD52FAFF-F58A-4EA9-B871-EBB328A8E9E8.jpeg
    AD52FAFF-F58A-4EA9-B871-EBB328A8E9E8.jpeg
    82.6 KB · Views: 238
I have been accepted in January but have yet to hear back for financial aid stuff. When should I expect it?
 
I have been accepted in January but have yet to hear back for financial aid stuff. When should I expect it?
You should expect a lot more contact from administration after the decision day this year. Typically, administrations won't make you go through all the paperwork until they know you're coming. If you must, get started on being up to date on your immunizations and TB screenings. Aside from that, you'll know what to do when they reach out to you.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Anyone receive a parking violation from interview day? Just got one in the mail for $25. But I parked in the designated interviewee parking spots. Grr.

I honestly dont even remember designated interviewee parking spaces when I interviewed but they had us enter our tag info into an ipad so that all tickets could be dismissed if we got them for that day
 
Last edited:
Anyone receive a parking violation from interview day? Just got one in the mail for $25. But I parked in the designated interviewee parking spots. Grr.

This happened to me, just send a picture of it to the admissions office and they will take care of it for you!
 
has anyone that has RSVP'd to the Second Look day received a confirmation? I filled out the form and submitted but didnt get any sort of confirmation. just wondering if it didn't go through or something
 
What do you guys think about the 2018 Match. Strong or average, etc?
I would say it's average only because the do have a good amount of people going into primary care and because they have a lot of people in transitional programs. It's still pretty good though
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Anyone receive a parking violation from interview day? Just got one in the mail for $25. But I parked in the designated interviewee parking spots. Grr.

I had the same thing happen when I interviewed a couple years back. Sometimes, the security guards don't remember the requests from the school. Just tell OSA (Office of Student Affairs) and they'll take care of it for you.
 
Does anyone know if we have access to a panther ID yet? / How to login to that? Or do we have to wait till after april 30th?
 

Attachments

  • 68078626-51ED-4340-AB46-CFCA86D0B595.jpeg
    68078626-51ED-4340-AB46-CFCA86D0B595.jpeg
    156.6 KB · Views: 190
  • BA98C8F8-C268-4BDB-AF1A-C84DE134139D.jpeg
    BA98C8F8-C268-4BDB-AF1A-C84DE134139D.jpeg
    172.9 KB · Views: 170
  • 391C6181-1A09-4AF5-9D62-E31F39A70468.jpeg
    391C6181-1A09-4AF5-9D62-E31F39A70468.jpeg
    179.9 KB · Views: 168
  • 38BE0174-8AAE-417A-A8CF-F609C6175B1B.jpeg
    38BE0174-8AAE-417A-A8CF-F609C6175B1B.jpeg
    175.7 KB · Views: 176
Anyone who went to second look day - can you tell me what you thought? Did you like the people you met, the area, feel like the school had a supportive community? I attended second look at my other acceptance in NY and loved it, and honestly have no clue how to choose - there are no bad choices (which is a wonderful and so beyond unexpected thing)
 
Anyone who went to second look day - can you tell me what you thought? Did you like the people you met, the area, feel like the school had a supportive community? I attended second look at my other acceptance in NY and loved it, and honestly have no clue how to choose - there are no bad choices (which is a wonderful and so beyond unexpected thing)

Second look was cool. I love the fact that so many resources are available. They have a learning specalist who gets to understand how you learn best and teaches you how to study effectively according to your learning style. Each class on the panel (From c/o 2021-2018) seemed like a tight knit family. The students are laid back and seem happy. Step scores are awesome and the fact that students get to rotate at different hospitals is neat because you get to make more connections and learn how things are done at different hospitals. I think that would be a plus when applying for residency as it helps to mold students into more rounded and flexible individuals. Also students there seem supportive and not overly competitive with each other.
 
Hey guys. I know I’m a bit early, but I’m considering this school for my first application cycle this coming summer.

What sort of stats are needed for this scholarship:
Medical students meet the philanthropists funding their tuition

I’m Asian, OOS, 515 MCAT, 3.55 gpa. My gpa is on the lower end, and I would need considerable hope of obtaining a scholarship in order to apply here (OOS tuition is steep). It’s been 4 years since I graduated college, and I’ve significantly beefed up my ECs since then. Assuming my ECs are good, are my stats too low?

Can anyone shed light on this?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey everyone, we are supposed to get our FIU emails and that kind of administrative stuff after the 30th, right?