2017-2018 Howard University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Secondaries will be sent on August 21st!!

Still haven't had any communication from Howard - my school email must firewall against them, for some reason. Instead of having to change my preferred email address in AMCAS (thus changing all communication I've already had with other schools), does anyone think Howard could manually input another email address on my behalf for future communication?

Members don't see this ad :)
Still haven't had any communication from Howard - my school email must firewall against them, for some reason. Instead of having to change my preferred email address in AMCAS (thus changing all communication I've already had with other schools), does anyone think Howard could manually input another email address on my behalf for future communication?
I suggest that You update the email on amcas and try to reach Howard after a few days to make sure that they got it on their hands.

I suggest that You update the email on amcas and try to reach Howard after a few days to make sure that they got it on their hands.

My only issue in doing that is changing this address will potentially cause an issue with the 20+ schools that I have already heard from using this current address. I guess I should call AMCAS and see what they recommend doing.

As soon as Howard slides into my DMs, I'm snapping on that secondary fr fr.

Reactions: 11 users
Anyone pre-writing? Or do you all think they are going to modify their secondary???

Anyone pre-writing? Or do you all think they are going to modify their secondary???

In the email today, they said: "We are currently making changes to the HUCM Admissions website and to the HUCM secondary." So I guess I'm not going to pre-write :/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user
I had that issue too so I had to contact IT at my school and have them unblock the emails from Howard

I had that issue too so I had to contact IT at my school and have them unblock the emails from Howard

IT wouldn't do such a thing for me, smh. I had to go through so many loops for them to just tell me no. But I just changed my email in AMCAS and I should be good to go :)

Howard Hopeful right here!!!! My application wont be verified for about a month but as soon as that secondary prompt is in I'm going to start pre-writing!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I am a current MS1 here at Howard! Good luck, everyone! Let me know if you have any questions; this will be a longggggg process. Feel free to ask anything!

Reactions: 1 users
I am a current MS1 here at Howard! Good luck, everyone! Let me know if you have any questions; this will be a longggggg process. Feel free to ask anything!
How about the first one, are the prompts going to be different and what's the school mission in your own words?

How about the first one, are the prompts going to be different and what's the school mission in your own words?
We have a new director of admissions, so it is possible that the secondary questions will change. They will still center around the school's mission to serve the underserved and how your background/experience and future aspirations fit with that mission.

Hi there! How would you say your application process was like? Did you apply/were you complete early (I guess early being near Aug 15th, since that's when secondaries were sent last year). How long before II, acceptance, etc.

Thanks! :)

Hi there! How would you say your application process was like? Did you apply/were you complete early (I guess early being near Aug 15th, since that's when secondaries were sent last year). How long before II, acceptance, etc.

Thanks! :)
Hi! The application process is pretty long. I sent in my secondary a couple of days after it was sent, received an interview invite on October 14th and interviewed on one of the first interview dates in late October. I was accepted on December 19th. So that is pretty much the earliest things will happen. The majority of the people interviewed later and were accepted later.

Reactions: 5 users

Do you know if there is a maximum limit on recommendation letters they accept?

Anybody get the secondary yet?

Howard, you're one of my favorite schools. Send the secondary please!

Nope. Hoping there isn't another delay out of the dark like last week :(
Be patient! This is a common theme throughout everything HUCM: delays and disorganization. Our poor administration is under-staffed and over-worked, but I promise they are doing their best!

Reactions: 5 users
WHERE IS THE SECONDARY

inb4 Howard sends another email about more complications...

Maybe they got wrapped up in the eclipse hype?¿?¿?

Reactions: 2 users
Maybe they got wrapped up in the eclipse hype?¿?¿?

As I am on the ground in DC, I can assure you that the majority of people who are supposed to be working today say they are, and are just standing outside with those glasses, pretending like they care about astronomy.

Lol kind of scared, just got home and still no secondaries!!!

Has anyone received one?

Be patient! This is a common theme throughout everything HUCM: delays and disorganization. Our poor administration is under-staffed and over-worked, but I promise they are doing their best!
That's good to know. But yeah, my friend got into Howard class of 2021, and the first thing he told me during orientation week is how disorganized they are.

They said they started sending them out today but in batches so their system doesn't "crash", and everyone should receive one by the end of the week hopefully.

Howard just seems to be the one of the few schools, or possibly only school, to have such problems unfortunately.

we all deserve acceptances for putting us through all of this stress :rofl:

Reactions: 9 users
Well, ladies and gentlemen.. It wont happen tonight! Go to bed.

Reactions: 7 users
Look like Howard is the biggest troll after all..Even bigger than I!

HOWARD HOPEFUL HERE! I love this school! Clearly going to be a heck of process!

HOWARD HOPEFUL HERE! I love this school! Clearly going to be a heck of process!
Okay, so secondaries are finally in! Anyone know if there's a word/character limit on the short answers? Don't see any indicated...

Okay, so secondaries are finally in! Anyone know if there's a word/character limit on the short answers? Don't see any indicated...

Has everyone gotten a secondary email? I have not yet.

I haven't got the secondary yet as well

Could you please post the prompts? Are they the same as last year's?

Have you lived (for three years or more) in communities which are medically underserved, or where the majority of the population is economically and/or educationally disadvantaged? Please explain/describe briefly:

After residency, do you plan to practice medicine in an underserved or disadvantaged community? Please explain/describe briefly:

Have you worked (volunteer or paid employment) with medically underserved, economically disadvantaged and/or educationally disadvantaged populations? Please explain/describe briefly:

Please provide below any additional information you believe is important in evaluating your application (e.g. additional coursework, problems with academic record; disadvantaged, etc.)

They also asked if you were convicted of felony and to explain. On another page they ask for super simple explanations of what you're doing for the next 9-12 months (work, school, research).

I think I've hit a glitch. I'm done with everything except the course requirements, and for some reason it won't let me edit that page (everything I haven't completed yet is grayed out). It won't even let me save the section as complete so I can't submit it and Howard doesn't answer phone calls on Tuesdays and Wednesdays :(

Anyone else have this issue?

Have you lived (for three years or more) in communities which are medically underserved, or where the majority of the population is economically and/or educationally disadvantaged? Please explain/describe briefly:

After residency, do you plan to practice medicine in an underserved or disadvantaged community? Please explain/describe briefly:

Have you worked (volunteer or paid employment) with medically underserved, economically disadvantaged and/or educationally disadvantaged populations? Please explain/describe briefly:

Please provide below any additional information you believe is important in evaluating your application (e.g. additional coursework, problems with academic record; disadvantaged, etc.)

They also asked if you were convicted of felony and to explain. On another page they ask for super simple explanations of what you're doing for the next 9-12 months (work, school, research).

Okay so pretty much the same as the year before.

I think I've hit a glitch. I'm done with everything except the course requirements, and for some reason it won't let me edit that page (everything I haven't completed yet is grayed out). It won't even let me save the section as complete so I can't submit it and Howard doesn't answer phone calls on Tuesdays and Wednesdays :(

Anyone else have this issue?
lol, you are the only one on the thread with a secondary... OF course we are not having that issue yet. Lol, thanks for the laughs

Reactions: 3 users