2017-2018 Howard University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For those of you that submitted your secondary, is the Howard secondary a secure website? My computer is giving me all types of alerts not to put in sensitive information like credit card because their website is not secure.
Not sure what type of computer you have but my google chrome on my macbook said the same thing, I used Safari and it worked fine

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
For those of you that submitted your secondary, is the Howard secondary a secure website? My computer is giving me all types of alerts not to put in sensitive information like credit card because their website is not secure.

Not sure what type of computer you have but my google chrome on my macbook said the same thing, I used Safari and it worked fine

Yeah, I've been getting the same alerts with IE, Chrome, and Edge ... I don't know how I feel about it. I can't afford to get a virus/malware on my work issued computer.

Lol, wondering if I should officially submit on my iPhone since I don't have a MacBook.

Were any of you all hesitate when completing the application? My computer is saying the connection isn't secure and I'm not trying to have my credit card information stolen, you feel me?

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Maybe Safari wasn't good enough to catch it?

Jk.

Well this is basically my life on the line so I'm going to use Chrome anyway lol

Your primary application itself might be able to help you out here; AMCAS uses a designation of (U) in your demographic info (by your city/town of residence) to indicate that it is underserved. I didn't even realize that where I currently live is considered medically underserved (probs should've peeped that from the sheer number of black folks in my part of town, but when I look around people don't seem so badly off), and we're just on the outskirts of one of the biggest cities in the US.

Son, you are officially the bomb! I had no idea *mind blown*:boom:

Is anyone having the problem of having the Howard application shut down on them?

Complete email received today

Reactions: 1 users
Just received and submitted my secondary last night. When do y'all think we'll hear back?
In the secondary invite, it was stated that interviews start in September and that selected applicants will receive an invite via email about three to four weeks before the interview date.

Not so fast. Just because you have a (U) doesn't necessarily mean that your community in particular is underserved. I'm in Washington, D. C. and they consider it to be medically underserved. The reason why though is because of SE DC, which I don't live in. So even though it shows my city as being underserved, I personally wouldn't write the underserved essay because I am from a part of the city where I can receive medical care easily, have had health insurance all my life because of my dad's job, etc. I think people really need to think critically about what opportunities you had growing up and if it really constitutes as living in an underserved community. Don't just write the essay to write it as if you're catering to what they want to hear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

While I understand what you mean, the question pertains to the community and not just you particularly. I grew up in a third world country. I was lucky enough to have access to medical facilities even in the US thanks to the life my parents established for me, but more than half of the population of my country is below the poverty line. You might not be underserved, but your community may be (and don't forget that access to healthcare is not just about the distance to be crossed to get to a facility).

I don't know how to answer the community thing... I lived in a very ****ty town but my county is really prosperous... My the elementary school of my town couldn't even afford walls for the classrooms... like... idkkkkk

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you feel Howard does a good job of supporting it's medical students once admitted? Going into this cycle Howard was one of my top choices, now I just want to make sure the disorganization is not something that will hurt the preclinical or clinical instruction. I know medical schools and applicants try to represent themselves at their best during this process to be more desirable so it's a bit of a red flag for me. Are they slow to supply things like LOR's or academic support? I'm still really excited to fill out the secondary but would appreciate anyone's thoughts on this!
One thing I can say is: Howard does support it students. Both faculty and the current medical students have been very supportive of me during this application process already. From what I have heard from the current medical students, they support each other as well.

I lived in Al green District so i made sure i pointed that out.

I don't know how to answer the community thing... I lived in a very ****ty town but my county is really prosperous... My the elementary school of my town couldn't even afford walls for the classrooms... like... idkkkkk
Most of us will fall in that category, it called having caring parents who are willing to sacrifice their last dime so that you dont grow up in a crime infested neighborhood. Still if i were you i d point that, for instance i resided in a neighborhood with a 40k medium but most people around our apartment complex was poor, so i pointed that out. and the nothern part of my district was extremely rich thereby leveling the income level to 40k,

Most of us will fall in that category, it called having caring parents who are willing to sacrifice their last dime so that you dont grow up in a crime infested neighborhood. Still if i were you i d point that, for instance i resided in a neighborhood with a 40k medium but most people around our apartment complex was poor, so i pointed that out. and the nothern part of my district was extremely rich thereby leveling the income level to 40k,
Wait so there's a higher chance of getting accepted into howard if you were once living economically disadvantaged? Could it be during your teenage years? I lived in Nigeria from when I was 11-15 and the healthcare was pretty terrible relative to the US. i was under the assumption that we had to just refer to our current residence when it came to that question

Hey guys howard hopeful here! Taking the MCAT next saturday! Been scoring around 502 on practice exams so hopefully i should be competitive enough for Howard when I submit my app. 3.54 GPA 3.31 sGPA. I'm a secondary author on a publication that i did in south africa currently being peer reviewed and a bunch of other ECs too long to name. most of my undeserved volunteering was done in Nigeria and Lebanon with a Howard med grad ophthalmologist that currently works with doctors w/o borders. I shadowed a neurologist as well. total of 500 hours for both respectively. hopefully i have a chance in the pool of applicants.

For future reference, how much is too much when writing responses for secondaries. I was trying to write like 300-400 words for each question

Hey guys howard hopeful here! Taking the MCAT next saturday! Been scoring around 502 on practice exams so hopefully i should be competitive enough for Howard when I submit my app. 3.54 GPA 3.31 sGPA. I'm a secondary author on a publication that i did in south africa currently being peer reviewed and a bunch of other ECs too long to name. most of my undeserved volunteering was done in Nigeria and Lebanon with a Howard med grad ophthalmologist that currently works with doctors w/o borders. I shadowed a neurologist as well. total of 500 hours for both respectively. hopefully i have a chance in the pool of applicants.
Hey, I hope we both have a shot! We have the same stats (almost. my cGPA is higher and sGPA slightly lower). I also have lots of EC's, 2 publications. I'm taking mine a week after you, and been scoring around the same using NS! Good luck man!

Wait so there's a higher chance of getting accepted into howard if you were once living economically disadvantaged? Could it be during your teenage years? I lived in Nigeria from when I was 11-15 and the healthcare was pretty terrible relative to the US. i was under the assumption that we had to just refer to our current residence when it came to that question
Not really, it's safe to assume that most applicants are economically disadvantaged. I think what you have done to help those who are underserved hold more weight, but i woluld def list that experience.

I have not received a secondary app from Howard yet and my primary was verified last Thursday. Should I be worried?

Okay thank you!!!

I have not received a secondary app from Howard yet and my primary was verified last Thursday. Should I be worried?
They said they are sending secondary to everyone this year. I don't think you need to worry. If concerned, email them.

Do you feel Howard does a good job of supporting it's medical students once admitted? Going into this cycle Howard was one of my top choices, now I just want to make sure the disorganization is not something that will hurt the preclinical or clinical instruction. I know medical schools and applicants try to represent themselves at their best during this process to be more desirable so it's a bit of a red flag for me. Are they slow to supply things like LOR's or academic support? I'm still really excited to fill out the secondary but would appreciate anyone's thoughts on this!
As an M1, I can say that the disorganization can get frustrating, but the administration works extremely hard to get us everything we need. For example, we are starting preceptorships already. While some students did not get placed in their first choice specialty, we all get one-on-one patient interaction. The clinical skills lab is also state of the art and fully trains each student with everything they will need to know for clinicals. Altogether, I do not feel like my education, either basic science or clinical, is at all hurting!

Reactions: 4 users
Is the English course requirement for this school screwing anyone else over? I took bunch of writing and English classes but none of the course abbreviations are 'ENGL' at my college. I do have writing classes with WRIT abbreviation... do you think Howard will make an expection? Anyone else facing a similar problem?

Reactions: 2 users
Is the English course requirement for this school screwing anyone else over? I took bunch of writing and English classes but none of the course abbreviations are 'ENGL' at my college. I do have writing classes with WRIT abbreviation... do you think Howard will make an expection? Anyone else facing a similar problem?
what does your entry level freshman English use as abbreviation?

Yeah, fingers crossed. Already wrote all of my secondary essays too.
it'd be very odd if they weren't able t work with you. & that's good. i have soooo many secondaries awaiting till after my exam. with a FT job, and MCAT prep, i dont wanna write sloppy secondaries lol

I have the same issue

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

it'd be very odd if they weren't able t work with you. & that's good. i have soooo many secondaries awaiting till after my exam. with a FT job, and MCAT prep, i dont wanna write sloppy secondaries lol
I feel ya! But you got this... kick MCAT's ass!!!

Does anyone know if there will be a first Friday open house at HUCM this Friday 9/1, or is it too early in the cycle? Also can any current students speak to the benefit of attending these open houses?

Got a secondary received/screened email today. Submitted secondary 2 days ago though. Is this their "hold" status where I was passed up on an II?

Am I suppose to get a complete email?
Not sure. It either is their complete email or hold email that I received. This is what it said:

Subject: FROM HOWARD U COLLEGE OF MEDICINE-YOUR SECONDARY HAS BEEN RECEIVED/SCREENED
Body: SECONDARY ACKNOWLEDGEMENT - PLEASE DO NOT RESPOND TO THIS EMAIL.

Thank you for your interest in Howard University College of Medicine.

This acknowledgement email means that all of your documents have been received and a preliminary review has taken place.

We will be using the AMCAS database to further process your application. PLEASE DO NOT USE THE
APPLY.HOWARD.EDU site to see updates; you will not see them. That site is for internal office use only.
Updates will come via email so that they are logged into the AMCAS system.

Final (reject) emails will begin to be sent in March (if not earlier) and will continue through June as we release applicants.

OTHER INFORMATION:

Interviews are by invitation only and are sent via EMAIL ONLY.

Invitations will be issued between September until early April. Most interviews will be completed by the end of April.

The rest of the email stated the info about calling and putting them in your non-spam list etc.

Not sure. It either is their complete email or hold email that I received. This is what it said:

Subject: FROM HOWARD U COLLEGE OF MEDICINE-YOUR SECONDARY HAS BEEN RECEIVED/SCREENED
Body: SECONDARY ACKNOWLEDGEMENT - PLEASE DO NOT RESPOND TO THIS EMAIL.

Thank you for your interest in Howard University College of Medicine.

This acknowledgement email means that all of your documents have been received and a preliminary review has taken place.

We will be using the AMCAS database to further process your application. PLEASE DO NOT USE THE
APPLY.HOWARD.EDU site to see updates; you will not see them. That site is for internal office use only.
Updates will come via email so that they are logged into the AMCAS system.

Final (reject) emails will begin to be sent in March (if not earlier) and will continue through June as we release applicants.

OTHER INFORMATION:

Interviews are by invitation only and are sent via EMAIL ONLY.

Invitations will be issued between September until early April. Most interviews will be completed by the end of April.

The rest of the email stated the info about calling and putting them in your non-spam list etc.

When did you submit? I have only received the acknowledgement email that states a "preliminary review has taken place"

Does anyone know when they'll start sending out IIs?

When did you submit? I have only received the acknowledgement email that states a "preliminary review has taken place"

Does anyone know when they'll start sending out IIs?

Submitted secondary on 8/29 around 1 PM.

Not sure when they will start sending IIs since they took quite a long time (+delays) to send the secondary.

For "Have you lived (for three years or more) in communities which are medically underserved, or where the majority of the population is economically and/or educationally disadvantaged? "

If the suburb was affluent, but my neighborhoods growing up were poor, would I answer yes or no to this?

Thank you and good luck to all!

Anybody else having trouble paying the application fee? There's nothing on the screen to click to submit payment.

upload_2017-9-1_2-9-18.png

Don't know what happened, but the issue is solved. The "Pay with Credit Card" link button showed up a few hours later.

Soooo I got a C- in orgo in undergrad...BUT took a general orgo class in my post-bacc and got an A...Would I still be ineligible for an interview? (reading through the secondary instructions)
You should try and call her and explain your situation to them.

For "Have you lived (for three years or more) in communities which are medically underserved, or where the majority of the population is economically and/or educationally disadvantaged? "

If the suburb was affluent, but my neighborhoods growing up were poor, would I answer yes or no to this?

Thank you and good luck to all!

I think you can answer yes, as long as you mention that you currently do not live in that kind of community but have for a number of years growing up.

Hope that helps!

Just to let you all know the general timeline, they did not start sending out II until October last year. The primary/secondary screening takes a long time because HUCM does not interview nearly as many people as some other schools.

Reactions: 3 users
Just to let you all know the general timeline, they did not start sending out II until October last year. The primary/secondary screening takes a long time because HUCM does not interview nearly as many people as some other schools.
do you know about how many interview invites they send out?