2017-2018 Kansas City University (KCU-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anybody interviewing Thursday? :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
My MCAT score wasn't anything crazy (503, with an embarrassingly low CARS score). I applied early, have a 3.83 cGPA, a masters degree in engineering, and very strong ECs (most completed in the United States, as I did my undergrad there). I am a personable individual, and practiced for interviews months before (accepted to every school I interviewed at). In my opinion, getting into med school takes more "grit" than anything. Just gotta keep pushing. If you, or any other Canadian/international students need any advice in the future application cycle, PM me.
Thanks.

Don't worry if you guys are interviewing this late in January, I interviewed in the last week of January during last years cycle and I got accepted in mid Feb!

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
So, not immune to HepB or chicken pox anymore. Yay.....:rolleyes:

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know of a cheaper option for titer draws? I had mine done at my local hospital and most of them came back non-reactive, so I had to receive several subsequent immunizations. Was planning on just having the titers drawn at the hospital again until I got the bill for my first draw-- $250 after insurance...

II for Joplin a couple days ago. Looks like all spots for KC have been filled for a while now. Any advice for the interview? Chose the afternoon session since I'm not much of a morning person.

Does anyone know of a cheaper option for titer draws? I had mine done at my local hospital and most of them came back non-reactive, so I had to receive several subsequent immunizations. Was planning on just having the titers drawn at the hospital again until I got the bill for my first draw-- $250 after insurance...

My university does them at-cost at the wellness center. My insurance is garbage catastrophe insurance since I'm broke and it's all I can afford even after Obamacare subsidy.

Still gonna cost me just south of $400 to get all of it taken care of, and that's before I need any potential updates. Yay~!

I found some lab company that has a package of the common titers for under 200

For the biological science requirement do I have to take a lab course or can it be any "BIO" course? I have already taken 11 BIO credits. Including an introductory biology lab course, right now I am enrolled in the second intro bio lab. Do I have to specifically take a lab course or can I swap it for any BIO course?

Damn...I got mine drawn at my PCP but haven't gotten the bill yet. Kinda nervous now....

Seconding what was mentioned above, there's a website that gives them to you for like $180. You just go to Quest or Lab Corp or one of those places to get them drawn.

Here is the link: Immunization Titers - Blood Titer, IgG Antibodies | Accesa Labs ®

THEY ARE HAVING A SALE NOW $140 FOR ALL 3 TITERS. I found this and I am doing it Immunity Panel | Prenatal and Employment Testing . It is all private and somehow it is cheaper. I called them and they confirmed all three titers in the package are quantitative. They have locations all around the country. My SO was able to get her family doctor to prescribe the titers and her insurance covered it completely. My insurance is nowhere nearly as good as hers.

Members don't see this ad :)
Got my titers drawn, Meningitis vaccine, and TDAP update yesterday.

Why oh why must vaccines always kick my ass the next day?

You guys should go ahead and join both groups. You'll be sharing information across both campuses pretty frequently.

Incorrect. In addition to those documents, international students are required to demonstrate proof of $280,000US to cover expenses. The financial document can be found on KCU's website.

Why would you need that much? I calculated the cost of living expenses + tuition and if that number was in CAD, I can understand. How would you be able to demonstrate that if Canadian banks loan you a maximum of 275,000 CAD? Do you think there's anyway that requirement can be waived or at least adjusted to make more sense with the actual expenses?

Why would you need that much? I calculated the cost of living expenses + tuition and if that number was in CAD, I can understand. How would you be able to demonstrate that if Canadian banks loan you a maximum of 275,000 CAD? Do you think there's anyway that requirement can be waived or at least adjusted to make more sense with the actual expenses?
http://cdn.agilitycms.com/kansas-ci...admissions/financial-aid/BudgetGuideCOMY1.pdf

That's the sample budget for year 1. Years 2-4 are similar.

Ok, I see, but let's say I know that I won't be living so extravagantly and it won't cost me that much? Im just asking if there are any ways to go around the proof of finances requirement?

Ok, I see, but let's say I know that I won't be living so extravagantly and it won't cost me that much? Im just asking if there are any ways to go around the proof of finances requirement?

Yeah I don't see how they came up with that number. Like I looked up places near Kansas City and the total living expense comes out no where near to 280,000 even at a luxurious place. How extravagant do I have to be to hit that mark? lol

Out of curiosity, how does this work? Do you need to put the money in an escrow?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Yeah I don't see how they came up with that number. Like I looked up places near Kansas City and the total living expense comes out no where near to 280,000 even at a luxurious place. How extravagant do I have to be to hit that mark? lol

Right?! I already know I won't be paying for a car, so I would have much lower transportation expenses. Books are all free and online etc... Basically I can see where I would be able to save on pretty much all the expenses they listed, so why should I have to provide proof of such an exorbitant amount?

Out of curiosity, how does this work? Do you need to put the money in an escrow?

I see there's a form on their website that says your financial institution has to provide proof. I'm not totally sure how this works actually. Would having a line of credit work? To anyone who successfully did this, I could really use some advice.

They really sold on me on this school on my interview day. I was impressed with everything but the location. I felt like I would fit well here. And the tuition is not bad at all. I just hope I gave them enough reasons to invite me for the long run.

Reactions: 2 users
Hey everyone! So I interviewed a while back and got waitlisted. Im admitted elsewhere but this was my top choice DO. I was wondering how much waitlist movement occured as Id like to attend if possible?

Does anyone know when the first day of class is? I'm trying to figure out when I am going to move...

Heads up, orientation week is required. You will "lose your seat" if you don't show up. Plan to be moved in completely before the week starts (unless you are a lucky wait-lister who gets in the first day which totally happened last year).

What happens during the orientation week? Just curious!

What happens during the orientation week? Just curious!
Get ready for the most fun 3 days of your life. With things like security presentations, class pictures, financial aid information sessions, "how to succeed in medical school" presentations, and white coat ceremony preparation you will be so happy you're there wearing professional dress in the (usually) 90+ degree KC weather that you'll forget all about the impending biochemistry doom.

Reactions: 3 users
Does anyone know when the first day of class is? I'm trying to figure out when I am going to move...
My advice is to get there with enough time to move in and make sure you have everything set up. You will not have time in MCM to do anything other than study. I suggest 3ish (or more) days before orientation begins.

Heads up, orientation week is required. You will "lose your seat" if you don't show up. Plan to be moved in completely before the week starts (unless you are a lucky wait-lister who gets in the first day which totally happened last year).

Yay~!

Now the 6-week wait begins.

I did check a previous forum. I guess people who interviewed 1/25-1/26 heard back the week of 2/9 last year... maybe that’ll be the case for us?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

For anyone who has any questions about the interview, feel free to PM me!
SDN has been my savior for interviews and it's because everyone is so helpful that I've felt really prepared going into an interview. Time to pay it forward! I'd be happy to help anyone who has any questions! :)

If anyone is in Kansas City tonight and tomorrow, let me know!