SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

2017-2018 Kansas City University (KCU-COM)

Discussion in 'Osteopathic School-Specific Discussions' started by AlteredScale, Apr 8, 2017.

1. jcve34

jcve34 Accepted

Jul 11, 2016
    WAMI
    What would you like to know about it?
    Meets occasionally throughout the semester. Learn a lot of procedurally skills before those outside of the track. Mentors that know the process of away rotations with the military and it’s residency match. There is like 20-30 in the track at a given time including the 2nd years.

workaholic181 likes this.
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. workaholic181

workaholic181

May 29, 2017
    Thanks that’s a great explanation, I was just curious as to the numbers of students in HPSP as the match list from Last year only listed like two military matches. Thanks

4. loopas

loopas 5+ Year Member

May 27, 2012
    I was interviewed on October...waitlisted too. 507/ 3.85..
    I am Canadian so that may have put me at the back of the line.
    Kansas is a great school though :)

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
  5. Magus5454

Magus5454 2+ Year Member

Feb 23, 2015
    It's March 10th for Joplin

Twotwos likes this.
  6. fldoctorgirl

fldoctorgirl ACCEPTED

Feb 13, 2017
    Florida
    I actually ended up calling about this and was told that tentatively the KC date would be April 13th. I didn't want to post it because they said they weren't sure about it yet, but it will likely be then!

Rei02sDinnerParty likes this.
  7. tp1127

tp1127

Jul 26, 2016
    I'm going to be attending the interview date on Feb 7th. Anyone else going to be there? I've noticed that many of the people who interviewed later got wait-listed as opposed to accepted so I hope the February interview isn't too late and they won't wait-list most of us lol

8. TheWhiteWolfMD

TheWhiteWolfMD

Jul 7, 2017
    Is there a facebook group for accepted students?

9. chemistryiscool

chemistryiscool

Sep 29, 2017
    Yes - there should be a link to it in the acceptance email
    Edit: it's in the email with the subject line "Congratulations and Welcome to KCU" near the bottom

10. jvnn

jvnn 2+ Year Member

Jan 1, 2014
    Would I be able to catch a flight at 3:20pm if the interview ends at 1:30pm? Flying at Kansas International Airport so I know its roughly 25 min away, but not sure about how long it takes to get through security and check-in at the airport over there. Do they usually end on time or early even? Also, would a car rental be necessary during my interview? Sorry if any of this has been posted already!

11. Magus5454

Magus5454 2+ Year Member

Feb 23, 2015
    I would give yourself more time if possible

12. kubyx

kubyx

Oct 2, 2016
    I wouldn't risk it, personally. I donno how busy MCI normally is but there was a ridiculously long line when I was there. I probably spent ~45 mins to get through check-in, which is pretty long for that airport given that they split up the security checkpoints into multiple locations.

13. lamplight123

lamplight123

Nov 14, 2017
    Does anyone have solid information on the health insurance requirement?

I am 22 and have insurance through my parents plan. If i am in kansas city the insurance will cover any urgent care and emergency visits, and if a severe illness occured they would cover transport and hospitalization in my home state. Is this enough insurance or will the school require me to have more? Also, to get my insurance verified does the school verify the insurance plan or is it the SentryMD company?

14. NYvc15

NYvc15

Nov 14, 2017
    So I'm finishing up my last semester of undergrad and only need a few of more classes, 9 credits to be exact, but that puts me as a part time student instead of full time. This doesn't affect my admission offer from KCU does it? There's no fine print that I'm missing ?

15. THEBACKANDFORTH

THEBACKANDFORTH

Jun 5, 2017
    No—as long as you get a BS or BA and have met all pre-reqs in time to give them an official transcript by July 1st you are fine

16. DrRedstone

DrRedstone Medical Student 2+ Year Member

Oct 15, 2014
    If you can't get the transcript right on time (maybe you take a summer class), just let the school know what is going on. That applies to pretty much everything. As long as you are actively working towards getting it done, if there are delays outside of your control they are fine as long as you let them know what is going on.

17. Code4

Code4

Dec 3, 2017
    Withdrew my acceptance from here. Best of luck to you all.

18. thunder_thighs_save_lives

thunder_thighs_save_lives

Jul 17, 2017
    I'll see you there, coming in from California. Hopefully, that's not true!

19. fourandtwo

fourandtwo 5+ Year Member

Jan 31, 2012
    KCU doesn't interview people whom they might not want to accept!! Keep your chin up, be a rock star and rock it!

20. TheRealDirtyDan

TheRealDirtyDan

Sep 28, 2017
    Is it too late to start on my immunizations/vaccines? I was out of the country for a while and my PCP won't see me until mid February. I'm worried about some of them requiring 6month follow ups.

21. Magus5454

Magus5454 2+ Year Member

Feb 23, 2015
    Hep B you need to get started on right away

TheRealDirtyDan likes this.
  22. DrRedstone

Oct 15, 2014
    Get them started now. You will need to have them as far finished as you can. Some people just finished off their Hep B vaccinations in the last month, so as long as you are in the process, you will be fine. Just let them know if you won't have something finished ASAP so they are aware. That goes for pretty much anything in this process. Don't tell them it will be late after the fact, tell them as many weeks before as you possibly can so they can let you know how to proceed.

TheRealDirtyDan likes this.
  23. fldoctorgirl

fldoctorgirl ACCEPTED

Feb 13, 2017
    Florida
    I emailed them about the health insurance requirements and haven't heard back yet. I'll let you know when I get a response!

prospectiveDO and fourandtwo like this.
  24. fourandtwo

fourandtwo 5+ Year Member

Jan 31, 2012
    Let us know!!

25. Jesus Christ

Jesus Christ

Jan 1, 2018
    Getting stoked to interview in KC!! My top pick for sure!!

ProspectiveDoc1476 likes this.
  26. Jesus Christ

Jesus Christ

Jan 1, 2018
    I recently interviewed in Harlem so I am hoping someone may give me some insight on the differences between Harlem and KCU. What are some of the things I will like and dislike compared to Harlem, or what will be new.

27. Rei02sDinnerParty

Rei02sDinnerParty 2+ Year Member

Oct 15, 2015
    Touro? The difference is night and day.. I've been to both.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

28. BeDoctorOrDieTrying

BeDoctorOrDieTrying

May 29, 2017
    Anyone receive a campus preference email?

29. katy524

katy524 2+ Year Member

Jul 24, 2014
    +1. I'm gonna change my preference.

30. DrRedstone

Oct 15, 2014
    And come to Joplin? :cat:

trimethylpurine and katy524 like this.
  31. katy524

katy524 2+ Year Member

Jul 24, 2014
    Hey if they'll take me, I'll go anywhere

DrRedstone likes this.
  32. randomthings24

randomthings24

Jul 10, 2017
    They ask if you want to switch campuses or let you choose a campus? They just assigned me a campus and haven't said anything since.

33. Fuji Agar

Fuji Agar

May 20, 2016
    Hey guys, so I had my labs for immunity drawn last week. For Varicella, the lab test showed that I was indeterminant so my pcp gave me a second vaccine for it. As for Hep B, it showed that my antibody test was reactive but antigen was nonreactive (implying immunity). However, it wasn't quantitative.

PCP told me have get my labs done again in 3 weeks so that it could show both Varicella and Hep B. However, I was concerned that Hep B would come back non-immune. But he said that the lab center wouldn't be okay with getting labs done frequently (since it would be three in the span of a month) and that it would be okay since the qualitative test said I was immune so quantitative would reflect that as well.

So my question is, would it be possible that the surface antibody would say reactive but still not have immunity in quantitative test?

34. BeDoctorOrDieTrying

BeDoctorOrDieTrying

May 29, 2017
    It asked if I’d like to be interviewed at the other campus and considered for it, but it wasn’t an interview invite, just a preference question.

35. Magus5454

Magus5454 2+ Year Member

Feb 23, 2015
    They state very explicitly it has to be a quantitative test

musicmed likes this.
  36. Magus5454

Magus5454 2+ Year Member

Feb 23, 2015
    Sounds like they might need more people for that campus

37. Fuji Agar

Fuji Agar

May 20, 2016
    I know, I will be getting it in three weeks. I was asking if it's possible that the qualitative result would imply immunity while quantitative wouldn't, just so I know for peace of mind

38. DrRedstone

Oct 15, 2014
    I had a similar problem. I asked for a quantitative, but it only gave me a yes/no. I called the lab I had work done at and asked them if they had a number of antibodies present from the test that they could put on an official form. After a little finagling, they were able to find an exact number and sent it to me. It never hurts to ask just in case they have access to it. Otherwise, just get them redrawn when you get the Varicella titer and make sure to double check that the order says quantitative test. I was so paranoid I always double checked. If you aren't immune to Hep B, it isn't a huge deal. Just let the school know and they will allow you to send them updates when you get the final vaccine administered and you can have it rechecked. Don't freak out, they won't take away your seat just because you weren't immune to Hep B, there were several people that were not in our class and just recently got their vaccines finished. The key is good communication. Let them know that the titer is coming and send it to them as soon as you have it.

fldoctorgirl, musicmed and Fuji Agar like this.
  39. Welp.Theres.That

Welp.Theres.That

Oct 17, 2017
    For the HepB part—— On the immunization sheet from Kansas it says you need a “positive” result for HepB (positive for the antibodies, not for having HepB). Isn’t what you did sufficient?

Edit: I’m just curious because I got numbers for the rest of the tests but hep B was listed as “positive” and that’s it.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

40. fldoctorgirl

fldoctorgirl ACCEPTED

Feb 13, 2017
    Florida
    I feel you on the peace of mind thing. I had my titers drawn today and reminded my PCP and the lab tech that it had to be quantitative titers. Who knows if they'll actually listen though :p

Fuji Agar likes this.
  41. lotsaqs

lotsaqs

May 5, 2017
    For those who have completed the KCU financial aid application, what did you put for this question:

Do you authorize KCU to pay other charges before refunding aid monies?

1. Please withhold monies to pay for other charges.
    2. Do not withhold monies as I will pay those [other charges] myself.

Is one option better than the other?

42. fldoctorgirl

fldoctorgirl ACCEPTED

Feb 13, 2017
    Florida
    I put the second one because I'd rather be in control of where my money is going and actually see it then just randomly notice x amount of money missing from my account one day. But, I think it's more of a personal decision: do you like having things taken care of for you (like, will you forget if you owe money and will it just be easier for you to have the school automatically take it) or do you like being in control of everything? I am, admittedly, the second type :D

fourandtwo and lotsaqs like this.
  43. lamplight123

lamplight123

Nov 14, 2017
    Can anyone comment on the living situation at Century Towers Apartments?

Fuji Agar and chemistryiscool like this.
  44. Magus5454

Magus5454 2+ Year Member

Feb 23, 2015
    Look at the left of the check box, it says quantitative required and you have to submit the titer report

Last edited: Jan 20, 2018 at 6:34 AM
  45. AspiringDoc955

AspiringDoc955

May 30, 2017
    How does FAFSA work for medical schools? If I am still waiting to hear back from other places, should I still go ahead and fill out my FAFSA for KCU? Am I able to submit multiple FAFSAs?

46. Magus5454

Magus5454 2+ Year Member

Feb 23, 2015
    Can add 10 schools to it iirc

47. AspiringDoc955

AspiringDoc955

May 30, 2017
    Can I add schools after I submit it?

48. lenspx

lenspx

Oct 25, 2017
    Yes once submitted and processed, your info is sent to the schools, then you can go back and remove some and add others and resubmit it to be processed again. Once your fafsa is processed, the schools entered get all your info sent to them directly, so removing one or more schools doesn't mean they lose your info.

Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile

49. AspiringDoc955

AspiringDoc955

May 30, 2017
    Thank you!

50. randomthings24

randomthings24

Jul 10, 2017
    Internationals don't fill out form right? Just arbitration, technical standards, background check, and health documents?

51. Cell Nucleus

Cell Nucleus

Oct 16, 2017
    Hey guys I have an interview here on the 25th. What is the interview like? Is it stressful? And what is the post-interview acceptance rate?