2017-2018 Kansas City University (KCU-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Student Policies

KCU CURRICULUM INFO
in case if anyone else was looking for it :)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Relative to other osteopathic programs, can someone comment on how OMM-heavy KCU is?

Just throwing out that I am
KCU likes non-trads. So if the interview seemed to be less than ideal, there is still a good chance that they like you. It happened to me. My interview was intense and toward the end it appeared that I messed up bIg time, but I am here.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
To: Any Current Students Stalking this Forum

If you live alone or have friends who do, could you recommend some apartment complexes, that are feasible within the allotted COA loan amount? Which buildings, other than the obvious CT, seem popular with students? Any to avoid? Thanks! :)
I found a room to rent on Craig’s list. It has worked out really well.

Relative to other osteopathic programs, can someone comment on how OMM-heavy KCU is?
The omm class is all semester long, 1 to 2 labs per week, 1 lecture per week, 5 quizzes per semester, 3 lab practicals per semester, midterm, final, and omm is incorporated into standardized patients.

Does anyone know for sure--will UNE online medical biochem fulfill the requirement prior to matriculation?

For current students who possibly live at CT, and those accepted who plan to live at CT, why? Have you talked to any students who enjoyed living there? I suppose I mean why other than the proximity to school. I have heard negative things about CT but want to hear both sides.

This question is for any current students who are on the thread! I was accepted and am all set to start this fall at the KC campus. I graduated this December so I have essentially 7 months to just get ready before school starts. What is the best way to prepare for classes or for school in general? Is there anything I should be studying? Thanks!

This question is for any current students who are on the thread! I was accepted and am all set to start this fall at the KC campus. I graduated this December so I have essentially 7 months to just get ready before school starts. What is the best way to prepare for classes or for school in general? Is there anything I should be studying? Thanks!
Relax. Don't pre study

KCU likes non-trads. So if the interview seemed to be less than ideal, there is still a good chance that they like you. It happened to me. My interview was intense and toward the end it appeared that I messed up bIg time, but I am here.
This is interesting because it seems to contrast the experience of the other candidates. I myself am a non-trad, does this mean I will be grilled then accepted..lol..I'm a little scared.

This is interesting because it seems to contrast the experience of the other candidates. I myself am a non-trad, does this mean I will be grilled then accepted..lol..I'm a little scared.
I didn't get grilled, it was a super laid back interview

For current students who possibly live at CT, and those accepted who plan to live at CT, why? Have you talked to any students who enjoyed living there? I suppose I mean why other than the proximity to school. I have heard negative things about CT but want to hear both sides.
I made a comparison further back in this thread with the pros/cons of CT vs another apartment complex in the area. The main/only negative thing I have heard about CT (aside from cost) is that you never feel like you are leaving school and can't escape the anxiety of other students... Since I'm moving with my SO who will not be attending medical school, I'm assuming that having them around will help me to separate myself from school when I need to.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a non trad and also didn't get grilled. Actually, it was a super relaxed and nice interview!

Okay, so here's the deal. You won't believe me or anyone else who says this, but really try to. There is no good way to prepare. Take some time off. Do some pleasure reading. Visit friends and family. Do not study! It is a waste of time. You'll be able to get everything you need to know once you are in school so don't waste your valuable free time before you start. If you have to have something, start learning medical abbreviations.

Become familiar with anatomy and physiology, as
No, everyone’s interview is different. The person that interviewed me knew my application well because it fit exactly what they do as an occupation. So the questions were more technical; they were trying figure out if I was lying in my application. This is why it was intense, i was being grilled to see if I was genuine. This took me by surprise.

Does anyone know if KCU will accept precheck background results that were initially done for another school? I paid like $150 for that and a drug test and while KCU is only $40 I'd rather not spend any more moneys than I have to at this point.
Also wondering this...I emailed them over their break and never heard back. I may call at the end of this week and ask.

I wasn't grilled. On the contrary, I barely said anything. My interviewer kept asking me questions and then answering them himself, haha. Super nice guy, gave me a favorable impression of the school.

Mine was very friendly. No fast pitch stuff, one minor curve ball. I'm old - well into 30s
Are the interviews open file then? Like are they basing the questions from your application? I'm trying to prepare how to answer some questions and it definitely changes based on whether or not they have access to my application or not (primary and secondary.

I believe the interviewer had access to only your secondary app. From my experience the questions were not based off your app: it really was a conversation not as much q/a format. If there is a lull in conversation they may ask a direct question or 2. Mine started out with being asked why DO and just flowed from there. Hope this helps in someway with your interview prep. Good luck!

So how heavily does KCU weigh the MCAT? I'm a lower scorer 499 to 503 confidence band. Cum and sGPA above 3.6. I know we don't know exactly how they judge candidates. Do you think they make it a point to accept those with higher MCAT's?
So for those who were waitlisted did you have lower MCAT scores?

Last edited:
I interviewed 11/9 and was waitlisted right before Christmas. I did have a lower MCAT 502. Every school always says they view holistically so unclear about the amount of weight put on the MCAT at KCU.

I interviewed 11/9 and was waitlisted right before Christmas. I did have a lower MCAT 502. Every school always says they view holistically so unclear about the amount of weight put on the MCAT at KCU.
Got it. Was your GPA on par or better than the averages. Can you comment on your EC's?

Interviewed on 11/14, my MCAT is 499, but GPAs are 3.7+. I was also waitlisted at KCU. You know it's surprising that I even got a secondary app, let alone getting an interview because as I was told KCU MCAT cutoff is 501. So I say as long you get an interview, you got a chance. I was later accepted at ARCOM, and also got an acceptance call today from ATSU-KCOM. So good luck, you can do it. Just believe in yourself.

Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile

So how heavily does KCU weigh the MCAT? I'm a lower scorer 499 to 503 confidence band. Cum and sGPA above 3.6. I know we don't know exactly how they judge candidates. Do you think they make it a point to accept those with higher MCAT's?
I was accepted and I have a MCAT score of 500! It is possible, don't worry too much. I think there are a lot of factors but if you have a good GPA (which you do), balanced extra curriculars, and interview well you have a shot! That being said, I'm sure everyone who interviews here is amazing and highly competitive, so who knows what they really judge on.

Are the interviews open file then? Like are they basing the questions from your application? I'm trying to prepare how to answer some questions and it definitely changes based on whether or not they have access to my application or not (primary and secondary.
They have access to your secondary responses. I got a few questions based on mine.

I'm new to this site so hopefully I'm posting this correctly. I just wanted to ask for a little insight from other applicants/people that got accepted. So I took the MCAT a couple of years ago and got a 506. My college GPA was around a 3.45. I applied to the KC campus around the middle of September and took the earliest interview in KC I could get, which was originally the end of February, but then got changed to January once those slots opened up. Does that seem like a bad omen, or should I not be worried about that? Also, what were the interview questions and process like? I talked to a student who got in last year who worked with me in clinical research and he had some great advice, but I thought I'd ask some people who just recently went through the process. Thanks!

I'm new to this site so hopefully I'm posting this correctly. I just wanted to ask for a little insight from other applicants/people that got accepted. So I took the MCAT a couple of years ago and got a 506. My college GPA was around a 3.45. I applied to the KC campus around the middle of September and took the earliest interview in KC I could get, which was originally the end of February, but then got changed to January once those slots opened up. Does that seem like a bad omen, or should I not be worried about that? Also, what were the interview questions and process like? I talked to a student who got in last year who worked with me in clinical research and he had some great advice, but I thought I'd ask some people who just recently went through the process. Thanks!

How did you move your interview to January? I scheduled mine back in mid October and the only one available was in late February. I had emailed to see if I would try to get an earlier interview, but was told I can't switch unless I had an emergency.

Yes! Sorry probably should have put the whole picture for you in the first post haha. 3.4 GPA but have been out of undergrad for a year and a half so a lot of clinical research work, shadowing and hospital volunteer in that time. Also solid EC's from undergrad. Hope this helps a bit more!

How did you move your interview to January? I scheduled mine back in mid October and the only one available was in late February. I had emailed to see if I would try to get an earlier interview, but was told I can't switch unless I had an emergency.
I lucked out on scheduling mine, got II on 12/1 and there was a 12/7 slot

I lucked out on scheduling mine, got II on 12/1 and there was a 12/7 slot
Awwww man, guess I should've waited a bit. I jumped the gun on this one since I was super excited getting an II and didn't want a later one. Hope its not for a waitlist position

Awwww man, guess I should've waited a bit. I jumped the gun on this one since I was super excited getting an II and didn't want a later one. Hope its not for a waitlist position
Did you pick KC only? KC has no slots my interview was in Joplin

I applied pretty late (November) with a 502 MCAT and a 3.6 GPA and got an interview a week later, and a week after that I was accepted. So there is hope! Although the rest of my app was pretty good, the MCAT was probably the biggest blemish on my resume.

So I got my invitation to interview at the end of October, and then around the middle of November they emailed me asking if I wanted an earlier interview since they had opened up a new interview date on the kc campus. The date must’ve just filled up before they could reach out to you I guess. Not really sure what to expect at the interview though, so if anyone has any tips as to what the day should be like, I’d love to know.

I was waitlisted with a 508 MCAT and 3.9 GPA. I thought my interview went pretty decently so I really don't know what to think at this point. I have received a few acceptances but KCU is my top choice. Really hoping they start moving through the waitlist in the spring.

I was waitlisted with a 508 MCAT and 3.9 GPA. I thought my interview went pretty decently so I really don't know what to think at this point. I have received a few acceptances but KCU is my top choice. Really hoping they start moving through the waitlist in the spring.

You're a solid MD contender with those stats, so I wouldn't take it personally. This process is a crapshoot and there is no rhyme or reason to some of the decisions made imo.

Tough decision but I will be giving up my interview spot here! Hoping it goes to one of you!!

Can anybody speak to the military medicine at KCU? I know they have a military track or whatever but are a lot of students HPSP? Looking at their recent match lists there’s only a few military matches which seems like not enough for such a big school.

Can anybody speak to the military medicine at KCU? I know they have a military track or whatever but are a lot of students HPSP? Looking at their recent match lists there’s only a few military matches which seems like not enough for such a big school.

What would you like to know about it?
Meets occasionally throughout the semester. Learn a lot of procedurally skills before those outside of the track. Mentors that know the process of away rotations with the military and it’s residency match. There is like 20-30 in the track at a given time including the 2nd years.

What would you like to know about it?
Meets occasionally throughout the semester. Learn a lot of procedurally skills before those outside of the track. Mentors that know the process of away rotations with the military and it’s residency match. There is like 20-30 in the track at a given time including the 2nd years.

Thanks that’s a great explanation, I was just curious as to the numbers of students in HPSP as the match list from Last year only listed like two military matches. Thanks

I was interviewed on October...waitlisted too. 507/ 3.85..
I am Canadian so that may have put me at the back of the line.
Kansas is a great school though :)

Last edited:
It's March 10th for Joplin
I actually ended up calling about this and was told that tentatively the KC date would be April 13th. I didn't want to post it because they said they weren't sure about it yet, but it will likely be then!

Reactions: 1 users
I'm going to be attending the interview date on Feb 7th. Anyone else going to be there? I've noticed that many of the people who interviewed later got wait-listed as opposed to accepted so I hope the February interview isn't too late and they won't wait-list most of us lol

Would I be able to catch a flight at 3:20pm if the interview ends at 1:30pm? Flying at Kansas International Airport so I know its roughly 25 min away, but not sure about how long it takes to get through security and check-in at the airport over there. Do they usually end on time or early even? Also, would a car rental be necessary during my interview? Sorry if any of this has been posted already!

Would I be able to catch a flight at 3:20pm if the interview ends at 1:30pm? Flying at Kansas International Airport so I know its roughly 25 min away, but not sure about how long it takes to get through security and check-in at the airport over there. Do they usually end on time or early even? Also, would a car rental be necessary during my interview? Sorry if any of this has been posted already!
I would give yourself more time if possible