2017-2018 Loyola University - Chicago (Stritch)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is there a fb page for accepted students so we can look into housing ?

Members don't see this ad.

CC today. interviewed 2/15. please tell me there is still hope I am so sad..

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Also CC today :( Interviewed 2/13. Time to start crafting another update/LOI. Got the email at 2 pm.

Called the office for more info on app reviews and CC.

They will be meeting two more times before final decisions, March 26th and April 9th. If you are in CC, your app will be compared to the remaining pool of applicants who have not been reviewed yet and will either be given a final acceptance or pushed into the waitlist pool which will form in early May. So from my understanding if you are in CC you will either be accepted or put on outright waitlist starting in May.

Reactions: 6 users
Called the office for more info on app reviews and CC.

They will be meeting two more times before final decisions, March 26th and April 9th. If you are in CC, your app will be compared to the remaining pool of applicants who have not been reviewed yet and will either be given a final acceptance or pushed into the waitlist pool which will form in early May. So from my understanding if you are in CC you will either be accepted or put on outright waitlist starting in May.
Do you know the difference between continued consideration and the waitlist??

Do you know the difference between continued consideration and the waitlist??
Essentially CC is the pre-waitlist. You will still be periodically reviewed and compared to the remaining applicants who are still waiting on a decision and have not been reviewed yet. So on CC, you still have a chance of being accepted before having to go through an actual waitlist after April 30th.

Reactions: 1 users
Just to clarify: if you’re on CC right now, chances are that you will be put on the waitlist if you’re not accepted? In other words, you won’t be rejected? You’ll get put on the waitlist at the end of April and then only if they’re not able to offer you a spot because the class has been filled, then you get the rejections (May or June)?

Sooooo what does it mean if you interviewed early February and haven’t heard back yet? Neither cc nor accepted/rejected

Just to clarify: if you’re on CC right now, chances are that you will be put on the waitlist if you’re not accepted? In other words, you won’t be rejected? You’ll get put on the waitlist at the end of April and then only if they’re not able to offer you a spot because the class has been filled, then you get the rejections (May or June)?
Yes.

Sooooo what does it mean if you interviewed early February and haven’t heard back yet? Neither cc nor accepted/rejected
Means you will be reviewed in the near future. Committee will meet 2 more times I believe, or that is what I was told over the phone. They meet 2nd and 4th Tuesday of each month.

Perhaps one of your interviewers is slow to send in their recommendation. You could call the school and ask. people say they're very open to telling you what's going on.

SAME!!!! My portal changed to let me upload updates a few days after my interview and I haven’t heard anything since

Members don't see this ad :)
Perhaps one of your interviewers is slow to send in their recommendation. You could call the school and ask. people say they're very open to telling you what's going on.
Yeah I had to call a few times, as my interviewer didn't hand their form in initally

Come on down to the Final Four-bound Loyola Chicago Ramblers! There is room on the bandwagon.

Reactions: 2 users
has anyone gotten an update about their financial aid package? I was told by admissions that we should receive our package by mid-late march

Does Loyola accept post-II LORs through email or do you have to submit them through AMCAS? I've tried calling but no one is at the office answering.

Does Loyola accept post-II LORs through email or do you have to submit them through AMCAS? I've tried calling but no one is at the office answering.
You email the admissions office and let them know you have someone who wants to send in a LOR on your behalf, and they will tell you to have the person personally email them. They admissions office will send them a link to where they can upload it, and send them a confirmation when they get it.

A link???? Someone in admissions verified over the phone that they received the LOR on my behalf and would add it to my file...

Did it show up on your portal?
You don't get the link, the person who is submitting the LOR gets the link. When I emailed Mr. Nabers and told him I had someone wanting to send in an LOR on my behalf he told me to have him email the office admission. He (my LOR writer) emailed them and they sent him a link/place to upload the LOR. Once he submitted it, they sent *him* a confirmation email saying they received it, which he forwarded to me. All the email said was that they received it and would add it to my file. There's nothing additional on my portal.

Did anyone upload their update letters to the portal *and* email them to Nabers like he mentioned in the interview?

Did anyone upload their update letters to the portal *and* email them to Nabers like he mentioned in the interview?
I don't remember him saying this on my interview day, when did you interview? Has he confirmed receipt of your updates/said anything else about them?

I have never emailed him or anyone else, I have only uploaded through the portal. In one of the presentations he encouraged updates and letters of interest and then noted that his email address was on his card in the folder.

Just curious if anyone took him up on it.

I uploaded my own update letter and an updated unofficial transcript thru the portal, and directed my post-interview letter writers to email Mr. Nabers directly. After a couple weeks, I emailed the admissions office to ask whether or not ALL of those materials (letter and transcript via the portal + LORs via emails to Mr. Nabers) had been received and associated with my application, and they confirmed the receipt of everything and confirmed that all of the materials had been added to my file.

Hope that info helps.

I uploaded my own update letter and an updated unofficial transcript thru the portal, and directed my post-interview letter writers to email Mr. Nabers directly. After a couple weeks, I emailed the admissions office to ask whether or not ALL of those materials (letter and transcript via the portal + LORs via emails to Mr. Nabers) had been received and associated with my application, and they confirmed the receipt of everything and confirmed that all of the materials had been added to my file.

Hope that info helps.

Thank you, it does!!

has anyone gotten an update about their financial aid package? I was told by admissions that we should receive our package by mid-late march

Every time I've spoken to the fin aid office, they've told me that packages will be available right before second look. So I'm guessing some time this week or next.

For all you still waiting to hear back, when did you interview? Today marks 4 weeks for me and I too have been waiting by my phone ALLLLLLL day. =*(

For all you still waiting to hear back, when did you interview? Today marks 4 weeks for me and I too have been waiting by my phone ALLLLLLL day. =*(
Maybe they’re calling tomorrow? Hoping to hear back

because they historically do not do well on the match and this year is no exception

Oh man, I'm WL'd here and I was kinda wondering the same thing? Was looking forward to broing down hard here but I've looked all over the place and couldn't find much about specific programs, just very general stats of regions and % for each specialty

Well, I've withdrawn my acceptance here. Nothing against the school but I have options I prefer over it. Hope one of you WL folks gets my seat.

Reactions: 4 users
because they historically do not do well on the match and this year is no exception

Lol. The salt is strong with this one.

That is simply not true. Loyola matches very well across the board and match info is provided to the applicants and is also posted on the match threads on sdn. I sat in on residency app/match lecture during my interview and the dean of students provided very concrete numbers on Loyola's stats. Stritch has a very strong clinical reputation to the point that even students with below average step scores still match into very competitive programs.

To those reading, careful who you listen to on these forms. You'll find plenty of rejects/students who didn't receive an II simply trolling these forums. Even students that are on CC (and eventual WL) may **** talk a school to increase their chances of movement. A little bit of research on these forums can give you all the objective info you need.

EDIT: seems the user deleted the post... But only earlier today was desperately asking if anyone knew whether the admissions committee met and given out calls. As a psychology major we call this coping mechanism "reaction formation" :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
I emailed a couple of the students I met on interview day for current match list but dug up 2017 and 2016 match list for those still stuck on schools like me (dat 2016 ortho list doe)

Attachments

• Stritch School of Medicine 2016.txt
    3.3 KB · Views: 93
  • Stritch School of Medicine 2017.txt
    2.6 KB · Views: 100
Lol. The salt is strong with this one.

That is simply not true. Loyola matches very well across the board and match info is provided to the applicants and is also posted on the match threads on sdn. I sat in on residency app/match lecture during my interview and the dean of students provided very concrete numbers on Loyola's stats. Stritch has a very strong clinical reputation to the point that even students with below average step scores still match into very competitive programs.

To those reading, careful who you listen to on these forms. You'll find plenty of rejects/students who didn't receive an II simply trolling these forums. Even students that are on CC (and eventual WL) may **** talk a school to increase their chances of movement. A little bit of research on these forums can give you all the objective info you need.

EDIT: seems the user deleted the post... But only earlier today was desperately asking if anyone knew whether the admissions committee met and given out calls. As a psychology major we call this coping mechanism "reaction formation" :)

Bro that's just like your opinion, I've looked everywhere for a complete match list ie. what programs and what specialities where matched into, and couldn't find anything. I'm on CC and have no reason to troll because that's not what I'm about or who I am, but just want some concrete info. I applied just like you and all they gave us were some perentages of states matched and how many of each speciality were matched and you can't really determine how good the programs are or anything based off that, so don't know what you have access to that the rest of us don't. It's just extra sketch when most med schools are super transparent about their match days (good or bad) and I can't seem to find a Loyola match list in the past couple years! Help us out bro!

Maybe that dude was trolling but coming on here and just making broad generalizations about their match strength without links or concrete evidence isn't much better than the troll lol don't feed the trolls btw rofl

Bro that's just like your opinion, I've looked everywhere for a complete match list ie. what programs and what specialities where matched into, and couldn't find anything. I'm on CC and have no reason to troll because that's not what I'm about or who I am, but just want some concrete info. I applied just like you and all they gave us were some perentages of states matched and how many of each speciality were matched and you can't really determine how good the programs are or anything based off that, so don't know what you have access to that the rest of us don't. It's just extra sketch when most med schools are super transparent about their match days (good or bad) and I can't seem to find a Loyola match list in the past couple years! Help us out bro!

Maybe that dude was trolling but coming on here and just making broad generalizations about their match strength without links or concrete evidence isn't much better than the troll lol don't feed the trolls btw rofl

Going off of match lists is totally irrelevant. It’s too subjective and I only know a select few well known prestigious programs. Its amazing how you guys know how and which programs are good or not. Personally when i look at a list, I’m not sure what to even look for besides location of where students are matching.

Duke SOM hasn’t provided a match lists previous years nor this year, very similar to Loyola. They must not match as well either then if that’s the logic you want to go with

ed the students I met told me that they do not match well and that they boast that they do because the students are weaker and apply to weaker programs and it appears that they get accepted to their top three, which happen to be lower ranked programs. Since you like analyzing anonymous posters as a "psychology major," may be you should be pursuing a future in psychology. And considering Med216 only has one post on this forum, I think that he/she is a troll. A LITTLE BIT OF RESEARCH DOES GO A LONG WAY
If you got into Loyola why have you been posting asking if they’re calling w/ acceptances and when they’re meeting constantly lol

Actually, I did get into Loyola but turned it down because I got accepted to a school that has a high rank and actually ranks versus the unranked Loyola. When I interviewed the students I met told me that they do not match well and that they boast that they do because the students are weaker and apply to weaker programs and it appears that they get accepted to their top three, which happen to be lower ranked programs. Since you like analyzing anonymous posters as a "psychology major," may be you should be pursuing a future in psychology. And considering Med216 only has one post on this forum, I think that he/she is a troll. A LITTLE BIT OF RESEARCH DOES GO A LONG WAY

I'm calling bs on that statement. Anyone that was already accepted wouldn't be asking yesterday if committee met and was giving out calls. And I'm normally a lurker here and made an account specifically because if your blatantly false comment. The rest of your comments don't stand up to common sense analysis of these "students" you spoke to. This forum is meant to be helpful so lets keep it professional. We're all on this boat together and I hope everyone ends up where they want to in the end but lets not throw out falsehoods just because the cycle isn't going how you want it.

Correction on my part: 2018 match list has been trouble to find. But its the same with many schools as its so recent. However, I emailed a couple students I met on interview day and they said match list is posted on their main floor atrium. I'm hoping to get pictures soon and will post here once acquired.

The easily accessible match lists I was referring to were from previous years (2017,2016,etc.) which I had no trouble finding. I actually copied both of them to text files and attempted to upload them last night to save everyone the trouble of looking but my post is still waiting on moderator approval. Once that is approved I assume you'll see the post instantly.

Having spoken to a few of my friends that are in medical school, the match list can provide good information *if used properly*. Given the variety of interests year to year, looking at one particular match list for one year is misleading since there may have just been more (or less) people interested in a specialty one year compared to another. Looking across multiple years gives you a better idea of the reach the school has (obviously still highly dependent on personal performance). Also prestige of programs can be way different for residencies than medical school (ie. Rush is an average medical school but is a top ortho residency) so you have to keep that in mind when looking at the list

Actually, I did get into Loyola but turned it down because I got accepted to a school that has a high rank and actually ranks versus the unranked Loyola. When I interviewed the students I met told me that they do not match well and that they boast that they do because the students are weaker and apply to weaker programs and it appears that they get accepted to their top three, which happen to be lower ranked programs. Since you like analyzing anonymous posters as a "psychology major," may be you should be pursuing a future in psychology. And considering Med216 only has one post on this forum, I think that he/she is a troll. A LITTLE BIT OF RESEARCH DOES GO A LONG WAY

I'll do the research for you

Official Match Lists 2017...

2017 Matches in Derm, NSG, Ortho, Rad. IM matches at Emory, Northwestern, Vandy, Case. Peds at Cinc. Children's.

Match list 2016

2016 Matches in Ortho (9), Plastics, Rads, NSG, Derm (7). Programs include Ortho at Duke, UNC, Plastic at Mich, IM at Cleve Clinic, Emory, Northwestern, NSG at Brigham & Womens (Harvard hospital)

A lot of very good matches in there. So it appears as if the students you toured with were misinformed or made a misinformed categorical statement.

Reactions: 4 users
Correction on my part: 2018 match list has been trouble to find. But its the same with many schools as its so recent. However, I emailed a couple students I met on interview day and they said match list is posted on their main floor atrium. I'm hoping to get pictures soon and will post here once acquired.

The easily accessible match lists I was referring to were from previous years (2017,2016,etc.) which I had no trouble finding. I actually copied both of them to text files and attempted to upload them last night to save everyone the trouble of looking but my post is still waiting on moderator approval. Once that is approved I assume you'll see the post instantly.

Having spoken to a few of my friends that are in medical school, the match list can provide good information *if used properly*. Given the variety of interests year to year, looking at one particular match list for one year is misleading since there may have just been more (or less) people interested in a specialty one year compared to another. Looking across multiple years gives you a better idea of the reach the school has (obviously still highly dependent on personal performance). Also prestige of programs can be way different for residencies than medical school (ie. Rush is an average medical school but is a top ortho residency) so you have to keep that in mind when looking at the list

Liked.

Plus, a school doesn't need to match 100% into top programs to prove itself. More important to realize is that a program which consistently matches into competitive specialties and programs proves that it provides its students with the appropriate resources to succeed.

With specific regard to Loyola, they have a pretty robust residency program themselves - so there is absolutely no shortage of access to gaining experience in these fields.

ed the students I met told me that they do not match well and that they boast that they do because the students are weaker and apply to weaker programs and it appears that they get accepted to their top three, which happen to be lower ranked programs. Since you like analyzing anonymous posters as a "psychology major," may be you should be pursuing a future in psychology. And considering Med216 only has one post on this forum, I think that he/she is a troll. A LITTLE BIT OF RESEARCH DOES GO A LONG WAY
Loyola Stritch is very well-regarded and has a prestigious national reputation. My boss and residence director at my hospital mentioned that Loyola is among his top pick for Residents. But it is unfair for me to generalize based on this one comment and do you suppose you can generalize the entire school based on a conversation you had with a few students. How about the rest of the students and I who were accepted this year, report back when we've matched.

Regarding rankings: loyola is one of the schools that voluntary withdrew from USNW medical school rankings due to flawed metrics. Unfortunately rankings for medical schools don't hold up as well as they do for other graduate programs. You'll find more than enough criticism on ranking metrics on these forums. Makes it bigger pain to decide between schools imo personally I'd prefer a reliable "all-in-one" source to evaluate different qualities per institution

More info here: academicmedicineblog org/ the-fallacy-of-medical-school-rankings/

(remove the spaces after period)

EDIT: I've been doing a ****ton of research trying to decide between schools. Hopefully sharing links like this helps some people because initially I was confused why loyola was is unranked when I hear nothing but great things

Last edited:

LOL bro at least make an alternate if youre going to disparage a school to get bumped up on their list.. funny how you called the other dude a troll cus he had no posts, but your post history sorta gave you away as a troll.. You're either a very poor troll or projecting (not a psych major btw LMAO)

Regarding rankings: loyola is one of the schools that voluntary withdrew from USNW medical school rankings due to flawed metrics. Unfortunately rankings for medical schools don't hold up as well as they do for other graduate programs. You'll find more than enough criticism on ranking metrics on these forums. Makes it bigger pain to decide between schools imo personally I'd prefer a reliable "all-in-one" source to evaluate different qualities per institution

More info here: academicmedicineblog org/ the-fallacy-of-medical-school-rankings/

(remove the spaces after period)

Thanks for backing up your opinions broseph. Im mirin those match lists right now, and no hard feelings yeah?