2017-2018 Southern Illinois University

Started by Lucca
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Really still hoping for an acceptance here, but it sucks that acceptance off of AWPA from what I've seen is typically ~70%.. Does anyone know if we can ask for recommendations from the Admissions Committee to improve our application for next cycle if we are not admitted by the end of May-ish?

Yes please do not give up hope! There should be a good amount of movement happening after the commitment deadline. For the 2016 entering class (class of 2020) 128 people in total were accepted. This means around 50 or so of those who had acceptances from the initial 72-75 batch gave up their seat. Even for my current class there was quite a bit of movement and I do expect this to be a common theme each cycle unless something drastically changed with the admissions process. Movement definitely does happen in the summer. However, I would say it will die down around May/early June-ish and there might be 1 or 2 last minute seats that open up after that time. It just depends on how the cycle is going and if other applicants get other offers of other school's waitlist. In addition, I do agree with @DrPigeon to reach out for feedback on your application and have a backup plan just in case!

Overall just remember the cycle is not over until its over! There still is a good amount of time. I wish everyone the best!
 
Hi! Does anyone know if SIU allows for deferred enrollment, and if so, what are some details about that process?
I can speak from experience that yes, they do offer deferred enrollment on a case by case basis. I was accepted last cycle (2016-17) after the batch acceptances in late April (keep your hopes up if you have not been accepted yet, I was there!), and decided to request a one year deferral for work and personal reasons. I spoke with Beth Hecker on the phone about my situation, and she was helpful and provided the next steps and helped me get approved. For me, it was definitely the right decision, and I cannot wait to get started in Carbondale this fall.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey, everyone! I am an M1 at SIU as well. @UMVoyager has given killer answers so I have no doubt in their ability to keep up with all of this. But since SDN helped me a lot in the process I'd be happy to answer any questions and plan to be on the thread much earlier my next three years of school to try to help. I just want to say one more time because I know the waiting sucks- it's NOT over! You still have a lot of time and you'll see so much movement starting in May. I would recommend keeping busy doing what you love, don't live on SDN (as hard as that is), and enjoy the end of undergrad if that's where you are. Stay positive and good luck!

Also, congrats to the M4s for getting their #1 choice for match! I am so pumped for you guys. @ncklkrt helped me on here so much last year. I'm also very interested in pediatrics so I hope to follow in those shoes!
 
I can speak from experience that yes, they do offer deferred enrollment on a case by case basis. I was accepted last cycle (2016-17) after the batch acceptances in late April (keep your hopes up if you have not been accepted yet, I was there!), and decided to request a one year deferral for work and personal reasons. I spoke with Beth Hecker on the phone about my situation, and she was helpful and provided the next steps and helped me get approved. For me, it was definitely the right decision, and I cannot wait to get started in Carbondale this fall.
Thank you! I'm in a similar situation so this is helpful info 🙂
 
Can any current students or applicants who were accepted in earlier batches shed any light on what SIU has sent out following the email confirmation for your deposit? I assumed they would be sending out information regarding immunizations and financial aid sooner rather than later, but haven't heard anything else besides the deposit confirmation.
 
Can any current students or applicants who were accepted in earlier batches shed any light on what SIU has sent out following the email confirmation for your deposit? I assumed they would be sending out information regarding immunizations and financial aid sooner rather than later, but haven't heard anything else besides the deposit confirmation.

After receiving the acceptance letter and sending in the deposit you should get an email from Leslie Fry who is in charge of financial aid. She would want you to fill out a couple of forms and send in a budget worksheet. Then you should receive information about your first year medical school budget a couple of weeks later. Otherwise after the commitment day when they fill up the class they will send a lot of information and paperwork before pre-orientation in June. You will turn in some paperwork at pre-orientation and at actual orientation in august including immunization paperwork.
 
I was just accepted, and I can't wait to go here! I'm wondering were most of the classes take place in Carbondale. Specifically, what are the buildings where the required classes take place? Also, about how many classes are we required to attend each week?
 
I was just accepted, and I can't wait to go here! I'm wondering were most of the classes take place in Carbondale. Specifically, what are the buildings where the required classes take place? Also, about how many classes are we required to attend each week?

Congratulations! That's awesome!
Almost everything you have to do will be in Lindegren Hall. The only exception are some lectures that take place in Life Science III all in the same room. The number of required sessions vary per week. Almost all of the resource sessions on content are optional. What is always required is anatomy lab, anything relating to doctoring, tutor group, and case wraps that take place after all of the cases you go through during tutor group since those are often done by physicians in the community.
 
Last edited:
Just wondering if this Facebook group has been created, and I wanted to know how to join it!
The facebook group for our class was made around toward end of April if I am not mistaken. You will get an email from someone in administration once it is made and it should be titled "Class of 2022 SIU SOM" And of course a GroupMe is highly recommended in order to keep in touch with everyone at your fingertips.
 
What is the test schedule like the first year?
You have three units- CRR (cardio, respiratory, renal), NMB (neuro, muscular, behavioral), and ERG (endocrine, reproduction, and GI). The first two units have two exams- one in the middle of the unit and one at the end of the unit. The midunit exam is more to help you see how you're doing with the material and is weighted much less than the end of unit. ERG only has an end of unit exam.

When you have an end of unit exam it will consist of a basic science exam, a histology practical, and an anatomy practical that all get scored to give you a final end of unit exam score (this will be combined with your midunit exam score to give you your overall unit score, but like I said the end of unit is where most of the weight comes from). In addition to those, you have two doctoring evaluations which go towards whether you pass doctoring but don't get incorporated with the science tests/practicals. The only difference in the midunit exams is that you don't have both types of doctoring evaluations but only one of them.

For a quick summary: two sets of tests first unit, two sets of tests second unit, one set of tests third unit. Please let me know if any of this doesn't make sense because it can be kind of confusing until you hear it explained out loud, so please let me know if I should clarify anything.
 
Does anyone know how SIU views non-residents but people who grew up there.

For example: Michigan resident (attended and graduated HS here) but spent much of my childhood in Southern IL (West Frankfort, pretty close to SIU Carbondale) before moving to MI.
 
Does anyone know how SIU views non-residents but people who grew up there.

For example: Michigan resident (attended and graduated HS here) but spent much of my childhood in Southern IL (West Frankfort, pretty close to SIU Carbondale) before moving to MI.
I believe SIU only accepts those who are current residents of Illinois.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The acceptance deadline is coming soon, I'm on AWPA and my anxiety is through the roof 🤔 good luck to everyone!
That's totally natural, but stay positive! The movement will be pretty good in May. Do things that you really enjoy doing to try to keep busy! Best of luck 🙂
 
How come people are saying that ~60-70% of people get accepted off of AWPA, but Beth said 80-90%?
Just received some clarification from Mrs. Hecker. It is estimated around 80-90% get off of the AWPA by the end of the cycle. Historically, around 10-20% of the list can be left each year. Hopefully this answers the question. Good luck everyone!

BTW I know some people were asking for a facebook group earlier in the thread. It has been created! (Log into Facebook | Facebook). If this link does not work then search "Class of 2022 SIU SOM" on facebook.
 
Housing question for any current students:

I've seen a little back and forth on the Facebook page regarding housing, but what is the ideal start date for a lease? The class calendar posted earlier in this thread has me worried about moving in a week or two in advance of orientation if I will need to be in Carbondale the majority of the summer. If I planned to move in mid-July, would that cause any issues for me? Thanks in advance!
 
Housing question for any current students:

I've seen a little back and forth on the Facebook page regarding housing, but what is the ideal start date for a lease? The class calendar posted earlier in this thread has me worried about moving in a week or two in advance of orientation if I will need to be in Carbondale the majority of the summer. If I planned to move in mid-July, would that cause any issues for me? Thanks in advance!

Mid-July would be perfectly fine. There is an early orientation (June I believe) but it's just one day so you don't have to be living in Carbondale yet. I honestly didn't move in until the day before August orientation started because that's the earliest move in date my apartment had. I would have liked to move in a week or so earlier than that just to relax and get used to Carbondale but I got everything set up and then went to orientation the next day and it was totally fine!
 
Anyone from last year's class have experience with Ambassador Apartments? Looking into that as an option. Thanks!
No one in our class currently lives at Ambassador (Ambassador Housing Rentals - Carbondale, IL | Apartments.com). However, I do know people in SIU MED's post-bacc program, MEDPREP, who live or have lived there. They seem to have enjoyed it a lot actually. I believe each studio comes with a bathroom and closet but most use a communal kitchen. However, I think some studios do come with an oven as well. It is very close to the school and walkable. Another place that is very close distance to school is The Met apartments (The Met Rentals - Carbondale, IL | Apartments.com). I think a couple people in our class live there as well and they have had no complaints.
 
No one in our class currently lives at Ambassador. However, I do know people in SIU MED's post-bacc program, MEDPREP, who live or have lived there. They seem to have enjoyed it a lot actually. I believe each studio comes with a bathroom and closet but most use a communal kitchen. However, I think some studios do come with an oven as well. It is very close to the school and walkable. Another place that is very close distance to school is The Met apartments I think a couple people in our class live there as well and they have had no complaints.

Great ! Thanks for the info. Do you happen to know how much movement to expect after April 30th. Asking for a friend. Thanks!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just to be clear, having AWPA status does NOT count as an acceptance in terms of traffic day rules, right?
No, I believe you should still receive an acceptance e-mail if you are accepted off of AWPA on/after traffic day. AWPA standing does not translate to an automatic acceptance!
 
Great ! Thanks for the info. Do you happen to know how much movement to expect after April 30th. Asking for a friend. Thanks!
I do not know the exact number of how many of those on AWPA list come off right after traffic day. I do know that historically around 120-130 people in total are accepted. This means around 50 out of the 75 a part of the initial batch will not hold their spot. Most of the time applicants like to hold onto their seats until the traffic day. I would guess the majority of AWPA movement will happen after April 30th and then following that will just be slow/steady movement until the end of June since more people will get off other waitlists. Hopefully this helps.
 
I contacted Beth. There IS still movement. I know this is hard and frustrating to hear- but just be as patient as you can. I can promise you I understand that the wait sucks, but the best thing to do is just keep making game plans for both scenarios (accepted or not) and know that you could get an e-mail any day that you've been accepted. Private message me if you want to about any concerns/more questions/vent about being nervous. Best of luck.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad