2017-2018 Southern Illinois University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
has anyone heard anything else yet? any updates on movement?

I was wondering if anyone knows when the class schedules (weekly schedules) will be given out or what a typical weekly schedule will look like (what time you get to school, how late do classes go, etc). I am a nontraditional student and just want to make sure I have enough time to get childcare and other responsibilities taken care of before orientation starts. Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
I was wondering if anyone knows when the class schedules (weekly schedules) will be given out or what a typical weekly schedule will look like (what time you get to school, how late do classes go, etc). I am a nontraditional student and just want to make sure I have enough time to get childcare and other responsibilities taken care of before orientation starts. Thanks
What is consistent is MWF you will have tutor group 8-11 am. Sometimes groups decide to meet a little later (8:15/8:30) but that is constant. The rest of these three days it's typically lectures and then you'll have histology or anatomy Wednesday and Friday but histology is optional (I think a few times they're on Monday). These three days you'll typically done around 2-3 (sometimes earlier sometimes later). Tuesday is doctoring so you'll likely just have a commitment for an hour or so (they schedule you for a certain time that changes every week). Sometimes it'll be longer like when you have a clinical exam or a lecture as well. Thursday is typically just lectures in the morning so 8 or 9 until lunch time but this day is variable. I believe we didn't get our actual schedule until the August orientation if I remember correctly. As far as childcare goes, I'd say planning you'll be starting at 8 am each day but Tuesday is a fairly safe bet. When you're done is what's more variable. Hope this helps!

Reactions: 1 users
Hi everybody! I just got off the phone with admissions and wanted to pass along the update that Beth gave me. So she said that they haven't been seeing as much movement as they usually do, so they're not expecting to give out a lot more acceptances so she said to "get your plan B in order." She said that they would be sending out an update to people who are still on AWPA later in June.

Reactions: 2 users
One more post just to say best of luck to all of you no matter what your plans are!

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys, just dropping in to say good luck. I just got moved in to my new place for residency and have been reminiscing about my years at SIU. Try not to get lost in the fog during applications and during med school.

If you don't get in this cycle: 1) call Beth, 2) ask for suggestions on improving your application, and 3) follow through on her recommendations. It's not going to guarantee admission, but it will be looked up very favorably. Conversely, asking for recommendations, not following them and resubmitting essentially the same application next cycle will not be looked upon favorably (they don't just throw away your file and forget who you are).

If you did/do get in this cycle: remember that everyone's path is different, and don't forget that there is a light at the end of the tunnel. It's easy to see Step 1, third year, residency applications etc as these behemoths that are far off in the distance, but they aren't far away. That's not meant to stress you out, it's meant to get you excited. You're going to be a doctor. You can do it. Read a bunch of stuff, do a bunch of practice problems, then even more practice problems, and before you know it you'll be here telling the Class of 2026 the same thing.

PM me if you guys ever need anything. <3

Reactions: 4 users
Hey guys, just dropping in to say good luck. I just got moved in to my new place for residency and have been reminiscing about my years at SIU. Try not to get lost in the fog during applications and during med school.

If you don't get in this cycle: 1) call Beth, 2) ask for suggestions on improving your application, and 3) follow through on her recommendations. It's not going to guarantee admission, but it will be looked up very favorably. Conversely, asking for recommendations, not following them and resubmitting essentially the same application next cycle will not be looked upon favorably (they don't just throw away your file and forget who you are).

If you did/do get in this cycle: remember that everyone's path is different, and don't forget that there is a light at the end of the tunnel. It's easy to see Step 1, third year, residency applications etc as these behemoths that are far off in the distance, but they aren't far away. That's not meant to stress you out, it's meant to get you excited. You're going to be a doctor. You can do it. Read a bunch of stuff, do a bunch of practice problems, then even more practice problems, and before you know it you'll be here telling the Class of 2026 the same thing.

PM me if you guys ever need anything. <3
Thank you very much for all of your advice! Best of luck in residency and in all of your future endeavors :)

Do any current students know if the summer research opportunities after M1 are at the Springfield Campus or Carbondale Campus? Thanks

Do any current students know if the summer research opportunities after M1 are at the Springfield Campus or Carbondale Campus? Thanks
You can research anywhere you can find a mentor after M1 including Springfield and Carbondale as long as your proposal is accepted.

Reactions: 1 user

You can also apply for other programs outside of SIU SOM to do a research fellowship over the summer or any other program over the summer.

Just got the AWPA Update. It’s super disappointing that they haven’t had movement. “Considerable time and resources” more like my entire life’s work False hope is the worst.
Exactly, go figure that the year we apply nobody wants to give up their spot. Idk about your situation but I'll be a second time applicant this cycle, so hopefully things work out that way

Got the AWPA update as well. I'm around 80-90 percentile in stats for matriculants, re-applicant who reached out and improved my application to their points, good EC's, good interviews. Feels really pointless. I was accepted to other schools but I still feel really bummed. Gonna have that private school debt now $$$