2017-2018 Stanford University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I hope not. I am still anxiously waiting for their call.

Yeah it has been a stressful week. Hopefully we will get clarity next week :)

Members don't see this ad.

Huge congratulations! What time was it when they called, and when did you interview?
When/around when did you all interview? Also did you guys send any updates/letters of interest?

Sorry for the late response. I sent both of you a PM.

My secondary application portal never actually updated after I received the acceptance call. However, it seems like they took the entire application portion of their site down over the weekend - perhaps there will be more official news on there for everyone on Monday?

Members don't see this ad :)
Waitlisted, interviewed in November.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the updates, and sorry about the news :/. It's not over yet though!

Did the waitlists come by email? And if you don't mind, could you give an idea of when you interviewed (i.e. early December, mid October, etc)

I interviewed early october and yeah it comes by email.

Unfortunately it seems the waitlist hasn't been used in the past few years going by last year's thread so yeahhhh

Anyone who interviewed in December get anything? I haven't heard either way so I'm guessing they haven't reached Dec yet?

When I interviewed in december, they said that we would probably hear back
in March, not Jan with the first batch of decisions!
If you don't mind me asking, were you in the first or second half of December? (I was in first half and I was told mid to late January.)

Are any of the interviewees who heard back (acceptance or waitlist) MSTP applicants?

Waitlisted as well. Anyone know what the chances are of getting off?

Anyone else interview before December and not receive any news?

Reactions: 1 users
Huh, I interviewed early December and haven’t heard anything at all yet. Nothing in my spam folder, either. Have people’s portals been updated with waitlist yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
We must just be behind the cutoff for the January reply date. Suppose we have to wait until March!
It seems like the past couple of years, December interviewees have heard back at various points in February. I'm guessing some early December decisions might be released next week or the week after

It seems like the past couple of years, December interviewees have heard back at various points in February. I'm guessing some early December decisions might be released next week or the week after
Good to know. Thanks for the heads-up!

Did anyone who interviewed in Oct. or Nov. not hear back? I interviewed here early on but didn't receive any correspondence with this first round of decisions.

Did anyone who interviewed in Oct. or Nov. not hear back? I interviewed here early on but didn't receive any correspondence with this first round of decisions.
+1

Congrats to everyone who was admitted! Welcome to Stanford! We hope that you can join us for Second Look. Please message me if you have any questions.

If you were waitlisted, don't feel discouraged. There may be WL movement later on during this year. Plus, if you interviewed at Stanford, it means that you had a compelling application!

Reactions: 2 users
Anyone else still heard nothing? I've had silence since July... no rejection but no II either. I want closure!

Anyone else still heard nothing? I've had silence since July... no rejection but no II either. I want closure!
Yeah, no doubt. I'm right with you there.

Hello! Those of you who have interviewed at Stanford and had to fly there -- were you able to fly back out the night of the interview? Or do you recommend waiting to fly out until the next day?

Hello! Those of you who have interviewed at Stanford and had to fly there -- were you able to fly back out the night of the interview? Or do you recommend waiting to fly out until the next day?
You should be able to! The interview day doesn't end all that late, and SFO (if that's where you're flying from) isn't too far (about 30 minutes without traffic, maybe an hour with heavy traffic). Don't book your flight too early, but if you have one scheduled for 7:00 or so and leave after the end of the interview day, you should get to SFO with plenty of time to spare. Fair warning—this is assuming you're using Uber or some other taxi-type service. If you're trying to do it with public transit, I'd guess you'd still be safe scheduling a flight for 7:00 or so, but it's definitely a slower way to get there, particularly if you're unfamiliar with the Bay Area's variety of public transit systems (Caltrain and BART being the relevant ones here). Lyft hopefully shouldn't be more than about $30 from Stanford to SFO, in my experience at least (Uber can be significantly more expensive, especially considering surge pricing).

If you're flying out of SJC (San Jose) or OAK (Oakland), it might take you a while longer, particularly for OAK, as you have to get across the bay.

If you have any concerns or questions about it, feel free to PM me! I'd be happy to help out with any travel questions and the like.

Even if you flew out of San Jose you'd be fine -- Im posting because I grew a liking to Palo Alto public transportation. Everything is pretty much up and down El Camino St (including Stanford) and Mr. Arturo will keep track of your luggage if you have to bring it to interview day. Takes about 1 hr 15 minutes to get to San Jose airport using the 522 Rapid Bus ($2.25) and the 10 airport shuttle (free) and the interview ended around 3:15.

As @TheOtherAlien said, you should be fine for any flight post 7PM!

Even if you flew out of San Jose you'd be fine -- Im posting because I grew a liking to Palo Alto public transportation. Everything is pretty much up and down El Camino St (including Stanford) and Mr. Arturo will keep track of your luggage if you have to bring it to interview day. Takes about 1 hr 15 minutes to get to San Jose airport using the 522 Rapid Bus ($2.25) and the 10 airport shuttle (free) and the interview ended around 3:15.

As @TheOtherAlien said, you should be fine for any flight post 7PM!
I'm glad public transit to SJC isn't too bad. I so rarely fly out of there that I'm never exactly sure how long it takes to get down there at various times of day/traffic densities.

accepted!!!! just checked the portal, no email or phone call yet

early december!
You're MSTP right? Anyone regular MD have anything on their portal? My new portal doesn't even show any indication that I've interviewed anymore, also can't find the PDF of my app - anyone else?

Congrats!! Where on the portal?

It was just on the front page when I logged in

You're MSTP right? Anyone regular MD have anything on their portal? My new portal doesn't even show any indication that I've interviewed anymore, also can't find the PDF of my app - anyone else?

Ya I'm MSTP, but pretty sure the acceptance is just MD. Don't think I'll hear back from the MSTP till March

congrats to all accepted!

I never got an interview invite but I would like to check my app status. I was able to access it just fine in the past, but now it tells me that "You're not allowed to access the Supplementary Application ". I even reset my password and it says this.
Does anyone know what this means?
Lol did they think they could just delete my app and get rid of me that easily?!

update: got an automatic reply saying
"If you are having a problem logging into our AES Applicant Portal, please know we are aware of the technical issue and are working to resolve it. We will respond to your email during normal business hours."

Last edited:
Yeah, I just have the "Application Status" page, where it says that they've received my information and application fee and such.

It was just on the front page when I logged in

Ya I'm MSTP, but pretty sure the acceptance is just MD. Don't think I'll hear back from the MSTP till March
Congratulations!
Do we need to specify both MD and MSTP on application or
if you apply for MSTP school will consider for MD as well?

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

My guess is that they weren't supposed to display that message...but everyone who has it got in and those who don't have it didn't. Rip.
I don't want to agree, but I think you're right.

Just got the call too!!!! And my portal doesn't say accepted and doesn't have any indication that I interviewed or anything. So don't read anything into that!

Reactions: 4 users
Hey Stanford applicants! I know this doesn't exactly apply to admissions, but I thought you'd all enjoy this year's music video (a parody of "I'm the One") which we released today:

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
I have a missed call from Palo Alto from 11:30 PM last night and now I'm tripping SOS

Reactions: 3 users
Does anyone know if they've extended all the interviews here yet?

Does anyone know if they've extended all the interviews here yet?

I interviewed today and the associate dean of admissions said we were the last interview date.

I interviewed today and the associate dean of admissions said we were the last interview date.
I gotta say, that is pretty sad to me. But I can’t say it’s altogether unexpected. I consider it an honor to have been in the running as long as I was.

Reactions: 2 users
Hi everyone! Does anybody know how to go about sending an additional letter of recommendation to Stanford? I remember on my interview day they gave an email address if we wanted to add another letter, so do we have the letter writer send in the letter to AMCAS, and then email Stanford to let them know we we have an additional letter? Also does anybody have the Stanford's email address to send things to? Thank you so much!

Hi everyone! Does anybody know how to go about sending an additional letter of recommendation to Stanford? I remember on my interview day they gave an email address if we wanted to add another letter, so do we have the letter writer send in the letter to AMCAS, and then email Stanford to let them know we we have an additional letter? Also does anybody have the Stanford's email address to send things to? Thank you so much!

Hey! To add another letter, you'll need to contact Stanford to get the required form. The letter is submitted outside of AMCAS entirely. Email is [email protected].

So sorry if this has been asked before, but does anyone know how Stanford perceives letters of intent and letters of interest?

So sorry if this has been asked before, but does anyone know how Stanford perceives letters of intent and letters of interest?

Interviewed last week. Senior MD admissions officer said, "A letter of intent is not considered a major update. Since we're interviewing you, we kind of expect that you want to go here. If you're going to do an LOI, weave it into a larger update."

I got the impression that a statement of intent woven in with an update on something like a publication or meaningful experience would be reviewed favorably.

Interviewed last week. Senior MD admissions officer said, "A letter of intent is not considered a major update. Since we're interviewing you, we kind of expect that you want to go here. If you're going to do an LOI, weave it into a larger update."

I got the impression that a statement of intent woven in with an update on something like a publication or meaningful experience would be reviewed favorably.
For some reason I though Stanford was fairly anti-update in general. Did I misunderstand them at the interview or some such?