2017-2018 Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine - New York (TouroCOM-NY)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know the best/safest areas in NYC to live with easy commute to Harlem campus?

Your question should be does anyone know the *affordable* areas to live in NYC with easy commute to Harlem? Figure out your budget and start looking now.

Members don't see this ad.

Your question should be does anyone know the *affordable* areas to live in NYC with easy commute to Harlem? Figure out your budget and start looking now.
Yes and of course affordable... I am starting my search but I’d like to narrow it down

Yes and of course affordable... I am starting my search but I’d like to narrow it down

Sometimes affordable and safe/best and mutually exclusive. Also everyone's definition of 'best' varies.

Many people room with others and live in Harlem (110th-148th) for rent around $1500-$1700/month. Positive are it is close to school and one of cheapest in NYC. Negative are that it looks nasty and there's not much around compared to other areas of NYC, and crime tbh

The lower down you go the higher the price goes up. UWS (Upper west side) You are looking at between 2800-3500/month for a 1 bedroom. But one maybe able to get a studio for under $1800 on the westside from 80th-100th around Columbia.

Some commute from Brooklyn or Queens, so look into where the trains run and how long of a commute you want each day.

Also, I don't know your financial situation, but be sure to add into your cost for rent the usual brokers fee, security deposit, first and last months rent. And you won't be getting your financial aid till a week into school starting so it can get tricky.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know when loan refunds go through for Middletown? Trying to figure out housing & I need to know if I should pay with my loan refund when it comes out or to pay housing deposits out of pocket. (kind of freaking out because the $3000 deposit put me in a really tight place financially) :xf: Also if anyone has any suggestions for housing/suggestions for where NOT to live that would be greatly appreciated:) (and yes I'm part of the fb group and have seen the housing spreadsheet lol I'm just curious about what people think)

Reactions: 1 user
Is anyone else having trouble contacting the housing at Middletown? I seriously called the person in charge so many times and left messages and emails and still no response for over a week. Honestly a lil peed off now

Very tough decision but recently withdrew from the Harlem campus. Good luck!

Anyone know when loan refunds go through for Middletown? Trying to figure out housing & I need to know if I should pay with my loan refund when it comes out or to pay housing deposits out of pocket. (kind of freaking out because the $3000 deposit put me in a really tight place financially) :xf: Also if anyone has any suggestions for housing/suggestions for where NOT to live that would be greatly appreciated:) (and yes I'm part of the fb group and have seen the housing spreadsheet lol I'm just curious about what people think)

The key thing about housing is going in person and seeing the place, it's a lot easier to tell when you see the surrounding houses. Middletown is much like any other place where there are a few decent blocks and then some you definitely don't want to live on. I would definitely avoid the area near and few blocks around thrall park (by the train tracks on 211). If living in a complex suits you, places like Sutton Hill, Boulder Point, The Regency, and Carriage House in Goshen are decent, however, people complain about noise from neighbors (but that's to be expected when living in complexes).

Last edited:
The key thing about housing is going in person and seeing the place, it's a lot easier to tell when you see the surrounding houses. Middletown is much like any other place where there are a few decent blocks and then some you definitely don't want to live on. I would definitely avoid the area near and few blocks around thrall park (by the train tracks on 211). If living in a complex suits you, places like Sutton Hill, Boulder Point, The Regency, and Carriage House in Goshen are decent, however, people complain about noise from neighbors (but that's to be expected when living in complexes).
is Orchard street a bad area? I see it is a couple blocks away from Thrall park. I do not know where train track 211 is

is Orchard street a bad area? I see it is a couple blocks away from Thrall park. I do not know where train track 211 is

Orchard street is about two blocks away from the police station so I think it will be okay. On one end of Orchard street is one of the main strips of Downtown Middletown. I've heard many good things about a local bakery called Something Sweet, however, around the corner are also a few bars where I've heard it was shut down one night because someone had a gun. Middletown is one of those places where 2 or 3 blocks are okay and then the next few blocks really aren't great. So while Thrall park is only a few blocks away from Orchard street, it's possible that it is still okay. If possible, check out the apartment beforehand and drive around the area. If it really isn't an option for you to make the trip, I would spend a lot of time on Google Maps street view so you can at least see the surrounding houses and couple of blocks.

I can't post the link for some reason but google trulia real estate middletown crime rate. The website will allow you to zoom in on each street and give you an idea as to how it is rated on crime scale

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Orchard street is about two blocks away from the police station so I think it will be okay. On one end of Orchard street is one of the main strips of Downtown Middletown. I've heard many good things about a local bakery called Something Sweet, however, around the corner are also a few bars where I've heard it was shut down one night because someone had a gun. Middletown is one of those places where 2 or 3 blocks are okay and then the next few blocks really aren't great. So while Thrall park is only a few blocks away from Orchard street, it's possible that it is still okay. If possible, check out the apartment beforehand and drive around the area. If it really isn't an option for you to make the trip, I would spend a lot of time on Google Maps street view so you can at least see the surrounding houses and couple of blocks.

I can't post the link for some reason but google trulia real estate middletown crime rate. The website will allow you to zoom in on each street and give you an idea as to how it is rated on crime scale
Thanks so much!! I appreciate it! I will be googling it today.

Not to stray from current conversation, but...

Does anyone have any opinions on the Summer courses that Touro offers? I'm interested in all of them, but was made aware that Histology isn't that relevant in the upcoming year. I'm not a cheap kind of guy, but $350 is still a nice amount of money I could spend buying things for my new apartment.

i got accepted to touro middletown accepted off the waitlist! if i can get in everyone else should keep hope!!!

Reactions: 7 users
Not to stray from current conversation, but...

Does anyone have any opinions on the Summer courses that Touro offers? I'm interested in all of them, but was made aware that Histology isn't that relevant in the upcoming year. I'm not a cheap kind of guy, but $350 is still a nice amount of money I could spend buying things for my new apartment.
Yeah i would love to know if anyone is taking them!

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed late feb, and was placed on the wait list in April. I sent them a letter of intent and explained why I am a good fit, and what I can bring to the school. Two weeks ago I sent them an update letter, and then just a brief update (like a “hey I’m still interested”) again this week

I still can’t believe I am going to med school it is so exciting and I feel such a relief :soexcited:

I would say just be persistent, and be honest as to why you believe this school is right for you.

Good luck!!!!

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah i would love to know if anyone is taking them!
@Gymnmedicine @medschooladed

Summer programs are great in the sense that they will put your mind at ease if you have never seen that material before or you have been out of school for a while. Will you really retain everything you learned over the course of 4 weeks..probably not everything..My cousin who was in the summer anatomy course really enjoyed it but she recommends using your time traveling/working/doing anything else but studying. She said benefit of taking class<<<<<enjoying your summer break. It is great place to find some good friends for med school but I think I would rather enjoy my free time. I am sure upper classmen @neurosciT or others might have better idea than I do as they might have taken the course or know someone who took the course and give your more valuable feedback. But that's my 2 cents :)

Reactions: 3 users
Has anyone been registered for the classes yet?
They auto register you when all of your holds are released. I called last week and they said they still aren't processing the immunization forms so nobody should be registered for classes yet.

They auto register you when all of your holds are released. I called last week and they said they still aren't processing the immunization forms so nobody should be registered for classes yet.
When were you complete with everything? I sent my forms pretty early on and they had told me that I was complete. I sent my immunization forms back in December. Did you call on the regular admissions number?

When were you complete with everything? I sent my forms pretty early on and they had told me that I was complete. I sent my immunization forms back in December. Did you call on the regular admissions number?
I sent my immunization forms in last month and then called Kelly about the hold. She said they aren't releasing the immunization holds until after graduation.

After months of obsessively checking emails, I was accepted off the waitlist to Middletown yesterday! yeet

Reactions: 8 users
can any upper years shed a light on what orientation is like and if it's absolutely necessary to attend?
is it a week long thing? or just a day? Thanks in advance!

I don't know if this helps, but I spoke to Frank Rose about the orientation week. He said the first 2 days are ones that we can afford to miss if needed. However, he mentioned that it is imperative to attend the other days.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using SDN mobile

are people still writing to the admissions office, as it said "keep in touch every 2-3 weeks if you are still interested in remaining on the Wait List"?

are people still writing to the admissions office, as it said "keep in touch every 2-3 weeks if you are still interested in remaining on the Wait List"?

Last week received an email asking if I was still interested in remaining on the WL for Harlem. I gave up my spot as I have a firm acceptance with another program. Best of luck to everyone still waiting

I got off the waitlist yesterday... Harlem campus.. I wish Good luck to all of you on the waitlist.. Keep working hard towards your goals and don’t lose faith!!

Reactions: 2 users
I mean, I made a lot of my friends attending orientation. Yes, its boring and long, but there are good snippets of information that came handy throughout the year. Also built up my endurance for sitting in class lol

I mean, I made a lot of my friends attending orientation. Yes, its boring and long, but there are good snippets of information that came handy throughout the year. Also built up my endurance for sitting in class lol
what's the schedule like? is it a week long? is it a full day thing everyday?

If your still on the Middletown waitlist, email admission every week.

Here is the match list for Class of 2018: Match Results

Reactions: 2 users
Got acceptance to Touro Middletown today!!! Interviewed 2/26

was accepted last week, day after I sent an LOI to harlem. Chose this over a midwest school

Did you get a reply other than the acceptance after you sent an LOI?

ye, they emailed me right away thanking me. Heres a tip- use an email tracker. Get to see if your emails are actually getting opened and read by admissions.