2017-2018 Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine - New York (TouroCOM-NY)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just withdrew my acceptance from Touro NY - Harlem. Hope it goes to one of you deserving people!!

I predict lots of waitlist movement in the upcoming days/weeks as today was the deadline for the 2nd deposit.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Officially withdrew my acceptance at TouroCOM-Harlem. Good luck you all!

Reactions: 1 users
I know the White Coat Ceremony is July 23rd in Middletown, and the website says "Orientation is 7/23-7/27".. can a current Touro student speak as to what goes on during Orientation week? Are we given our financial aid package to go out and buy supplies? Are we given our textbook list? Supply list? Access to online lectures? It seems like an awful long time just for orientation, what goes into it?

Reactions: 1 user
I know the White Coat Ceremony is July 23rd in Middletown, and the website says "Orientation is 7/23-7/27".. can a current Touro student speak as to what goes on during Orientation week? Are we given our financial aid package to go out and buy supplies? Are we given our textbook list? Supply list? Access to online lectures? It seems like an awful long time just for orientation, what goes into it?

During orientation week you are "oriented" to the way of the D.O. That's all I can really say. You'll understand after you take the blood oath.

I am on the waiting list for this school but just found out I got dismissed from my SMP due to a grade violation. Any advice on how to handle this?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am on the waiting list for this school but just found out I got dismissed from my SMP due to a grade violation. Any advice on how to handle this?

Harlem 1st year
Care to expand? Grade violation can mean many things.

PM me if you don't want it to be open to the public.

Harlem 1st year
Care to expand? Grade violation can mean many things.

PM me if you don't want it to be open to the public.
I PM'd you but I needed a 70 to pass a class and I got a 67.5. All my other grades are good. This program is linked to a medical school so we were basically taking similar classes to the first year of medical school.

In case anyone is curious, I called Frank Rose today. He is out of the office until Tuesday so I’m guessing no Middletown movement until then at the earliest. Have a good long weekend...!

I PM'd you but I needed a 70 to pass a class and I got a 67.5. All my other grades are good. This program is linked to a medical school so we were basically taking similar classes to the first year of medical school.

What is an SMP? Was this a pre req course? And did you call or email the school to see if a grade below B would affect admission?

PM me if it's private as well.

Hello,

I have been on the waitlist since 1/7/18 and I interviewed at 12/13/17. Would it be a good idea to call the admissions office and ask my waitlist status? Such as what spot I am at?
Thanks

Hello,

I have been on the waitlist since 1/7/18 and I interviewed at 12/13/17. Would it be a good idea to call the admissions office and ask my waitlist status? Such as what spot I am at?
Thanks

They won't give you an answer regarding position. As someone who got accepted off waitlist, best option is to write letter of intent

Dang I guess I was wrong!!! Thanks for reporting and congrats!!!

Did they call or email?

Dang I guess I was wrong!!! Thanks for reporting and congrats!!!

Did they call or email?
I received an email.

However, to your point, I did get an automatic vacation reply from Frank Rose when I emailed him yesterday.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using SDN mobile

Still waiting for Middletown :(... what’s everyone’s feelings about the waitlist movement?

Still waiting for Middletown :(... what’s everyone’s feelings about the waitlist movement?

I heard from reputable source that they are still waiting on some second deposits. They are giving a few days of grace period due to storms and power outages in the area (apparently the school was affected). So soon...maybe.

Also -- does anyone know how much time is allocated for studying for COMLEX / Step 1 at Touro Harlem?
More time / less than most schools?

Thanks!

I know few people have been getting in from the masters so I guess those spots for Middletown are getting filled.

ACCEPTED to HARLEM of the waitlist just now!!!!!!!!! This feeling is unreal!!!!! Never loose hope everyone we’ll all get there ! Omg!!!! Interviewed and waitlisted back in November

Reactions: 5 users
Was accepted to Middletown off of the waitlist yesterday!! All other schools were waitlists so super happy to get off! Paid the deposit already

Reactions: 3 users
Does the letter grading breed heavy competition among students? (rather than p/f)

There's 4 groups of people here. 1) People who get A's from start 2) People who get B's then work hard to get A's 3) People who get B's and are cool with that
4) People who struggle to pass.

There's a general consensus that grades in years 1 and 2 don't matter as much as boards or year 3 grades so everyone, with the exception of a few, are friendly.

Also -- does anyone know how much time is allocated for studying for COMLEX / Step 1 at Touro Harlem?
More time / less than most schools?

Thanks!

Depends on when Passover falls for your year. My year aka 2021 aka the greatest class ever gets 8 weeks due to the way the holidays fell. This years class has 6 weeks. I would say the dedicated time here is standard.

When is the first day of classes and white coat ceremony?! Anyone know?!?! :)

You earn your white coat here at Harlem. You won't see that baby till end of 2nd year... if you make it.

Jk but yea middletown does it during orientation I think. Harlem does it end of 2nd year before dedicated

Why is this? I was superrr looking forward to the white coat ceremony which I thought was at orientation? I'm at Harlem campus can anybody confirm this is the case? I don't want to have family come out if there's no ceremony.

It is what it is. Like I said you earn your white coat here. No ceremony, save the family some travel money.

Has anyone spoken to frank about whats going on with the waitlist?

I sent an LOI to Touro Middletown last Friday May 18th and just got an email an hour ago that it would be added to my file as the Committee on Admissions reviews waitlist applicants. Here’s to more waiting!

I sent an LOI to Touro Middletown last Friday May 18th and just got an email an hour ago that it would be added to my file as the Committee on Admissions reviews waitlist applicants. Here’s to more waiting!

Likewise

got an email that says the waitlist is ranked, very fluid, and slow moving due to the need to wait for people to respond to offers. the wait continues...

got an email that says the waitlist is ranked, very fluid, and slow moving due to the need to wait for people to respond to offers. the wait continues...
Just got that too, funny how it’s a ranked waitlist but we can’t ask what rank we are

Just got that too, funny how it’s a ranked waitlist but we can’t ask what rank we are

Well, I think the explanation makes sense. It doesn’t help anyone to learn they are near the top only to have the list re-evaluated and get pushed to the bottom...

Well, I think the explanation makes sense. It doesn’t help anyone to learn they are near the top only to have the list re-evaluated and get pushed to the bottom...
True better safe than sorry I just hate not knowing after checking SDN and emails every day for the past month, but what can you do!

Approx when do we get registered for the classes? Roughly how long before the start date do we get the list of things required in addition to the syllabus?

Approx when do we get registered for the classes? Roughly how long before the start date do we get the list of things required in addition to the syllabus?

Enjoy yourself. All will be explained in orientation. Just make sure all your documents are in to the registar office. DO NOT buy any books there will be plenty of chance for that later and the class passes around free PDF copies, so don't waste your money.

Orientation week is where all will be explained and you'll see the class schedule etc.

The time from when I was accepted till when I started was literarily the best time of my life.

Reactions: 4 users
Enjoy yourself. All will be explained in orientation. Just make sure all your documents are in to the registar office. DO NOT buy any books there will be plenty of chance for that later and the class passes around free PDF copies, so don't waste your money.

Orientation week is where all will be explained and you'll see the class schedule etc.

The time from when I was accepted till when I started was literarily the best time of my life.
Thank you :bow: