2017-2018 University of Florida

Started by Ismet
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

waitlisted 🙁 email arrived at 5:08 EST. oh well, looks like I gotta keep grinding for the rest of the cycle. Congrats to everyone who got good news today, everyone I met on my interview day was awesome and I'm sure the other days were the same, you deserve it!
 
Congrats to everyone who got accepted today, hope to see you here next year! Let me know (or any of the other current students in the thread) if you have any questions regarding the school. To those waitlisted or waiting on an interview hang in there, still a long way to go in the process. I realize how frustrating it can be, during the cycle I picked up new hobbies to help keep my mind off applications, try to enjoy life before med school
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
IMG_5640-1.GIF
 
Is it to late to submit my secondary here? OOS applicant (Nebraska)
Better late than never! You always have a chance if you believe in yourself! Anything is possible!

Just kidding, realistically you're hugely disadvantaged given the fact interviews & acceptances have already started. Keep in mind people that submitted in July are still waiting & the queue is enormous. You'd have to be an outstanding candidate to say the least. My 0.02$
 
Does anyone know if UF will send a rejection letter as they review, or make you wait until March to inform students
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Anyone know if UF does a Hollistic review of your application?
I think all schools will claim to some degree to do a holistic review, and to some degree I think that’s true. However, UF has higher stats than a lot of the other schools in FL, so I think they do place a certain amount of emphasis on that, as opposed to say, FSU which appears more geared to fulfilling a specific mission.

So yes, they’ll probably look at your app as a whole, but something’s gotta stand out if you’re working with lower stats.
 
I second this. I have a unique background and was recently accepted with gpa significantly below 10th percentile. My impression is that while stats are important, they admire resilience and parts of the application that truly reflect the virtues of empathy and caring for others.
 
I think they do. I’m an odd applicant and they seemed to like my application. My GPA is below 10th percentile.

I’ve heard they care quite a bit about secondary responses as well.

I second this. I have a unique background and was recently accepted with gpa significantly below 10th percentile. My impression is that while stats are important, they admire resilience and parts of the application that truly reflect the virtues of empathy and caring for others.
 
I second this. I have a unique background and was recently accepted with gpa significantly below 10th percentile. My impression is that while stats are important, they admire resilience and parts of the application that truly reflect the virtues of empathy and caring for others.

I think that's exactly what they're looking for.

Hi fellow "old" people :hello:
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For those of you who got interviews, what part of your application did the admissions committee like the most?
 
For those of you who got interviews, what part of your application did the admissions committee like the most?

One of my interviewers discussed pretty much my entire application and the other didn’t discuss any part of it, so it is difficult to say. However, the administration seems to be looking for people who will be humanistic physicians. They even mentioned the Chapman award at the presentation, which really stood out to me. I would say they are looking for people who really want to care for patients on a deep level, but other interviewees may have a better response.


Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile
 
One of my interviewers discussed pretty much my entire application and the other didn’t discuss any part of it, so it is difficult to say. However, the administration seems to be looking for people who will be humanistic physicians. They even mentioned the Chapman award at the presentation, which really stood out to me. I would say they are looking for people who really want to care for patients on a deep level, but other interviewees may have a better response.


Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

How long did it take you to hear back for an interview from the time you submitted your secondary?
 
How long did it take you to hear back for an interview from the time you submitted your secondary?

It felt like forever, but I'm a unique case - I applied for a joint program and then decided to move to the regular MD pile, which delayed review of my application - so early August complete date, late october II.
 
So, just like earlier this week, I'm trying to study for PChem and failing miserably, so I thought I would update on the interview experience here and my general impression of the school

I thought UF did an amazing job with the interview day. I attended the dinner the night before the interview and a LOT of current med students showed up. UF pays for the dinner, which encourages students to attend and gave those of us interviewing an excellent opportunity to ask questions with no pressure. The interview day was a really great experience. I don't have the schedule in front of me, so I'll miss quite a few of the presentations, but what really impressed me was the introduction that the dean gave in the morning. He told us what UF is looking for in its applicants (the admissions committee is looking for people who will provide patient-centered, compassionate care). The rest of the presentation was about the patient-centered physician. I was really impressed with the focus on providing outstanding care. There were other presentations throughout the day, and one of my favorites was hearing from a UF physician and meeting with one of his patients. We had the opportunity to ask her questions about her care and what she appreciated about her physician. We also toured the simulation center and had the opportunity to watch the dummy die and try to bring him back to life. Other presentations in the morning included hearing about research opportunities and hearing the perspective of a current student.

At lunch time, a LOT of current students joined us as UF provided lunch (free food!) - when I say a lot of students, I mean at least a 3:1 ratio of current students:interviewees. This was an excellent opportunity to talk with even MORE students during the day and I was impressed by how friendly everyone was (and how calm they seemed - even the MS2s who were eating lunch between final exams). We ate lunch in one of the lecture halls, which are set up with lots of round tables. I LOVED this space and the concept of listening to lectures while sitting around those tables instead of in stadium seating. It provided an opportunity for more interaction and felt more intimate. I could see myself sitting there. We went on the tour - the new building is beautiful and takes advantage of the natural Florida light. I also loved that they took the trees they cleared during construction and turned them into boards to use as decoration throughout the entire building. The facilities are truly amazing. I also really loved that the hospital is on site, so no extensive driving once you get there. It should be noted that all students are required to do at least one clerkship in Jacksonville. One of my tour leaders did part of every rotation there, so we got the low down on which rotations were the best. I appreciate that it gives students multiple perspectives, although I can imagine some students may not like the idea of spending part of third year in Jacksonville.

I discovered during the tour that anatomy lab is a little different - it extends over both the first and second year. During the first year, you do prosection (along with radiology), which means you're referencing the parts dissected by others. What you learn in anatomy is coordinated with the system you are learning at the time in class. During second year you do dissection. This immersion in anatomy and the hands-on approach matches my learning style, so it is one of my favorite aspects of the school. At the beginning of medical school, you are also placed into a small group of eight with a clinical faculty member. You meet with this group throughout all four years to discuss problems and school (you meet often during the first two years and less often after). The clinical faculty have to apply for these positions and are excited to mentor the students.

My interviews were low-key. One was a conversation while the other was based on specific questions about me and my application. We met back for some final remarks and went on our way.

All in all it was an excellent (albeit long) day. I felt that I had a good impression about the school and its mission as well as the students that attend there. I honestly wouldn't have cut any part of the day and was happy to be there the full 9 hours. Best of luck to anyone interviewing!
 
So, just like earlier this week, I'm trying to study for PChem and failing miserably, so I thought I would update on the interview experience here and my general impression of the school

I thought UF did an amazing job with the interview day. I attended the dinner the night before the interview and a LOT of current med students showed up. UF pays for the dinner, which encourages students to attend and gave those of us interviewing an excellent opportunity to ask questions with no pressure. The interview day was a really great experience. I don't have the schedule in front of me, so I'll miss quite a few of the presentations, but what really impressed me was the introduction that the dean gave in the morning. He told us what UF is looking for in its applicants (the admissions committee is looking for people who will provide patient-centered, compassionate care). The rest of the presentation was about the patient-centered physician. I was really impressed with the focus on providing outstanding care. There were other presentations throughout the day, and one of my favorites was hearing from a UF physician and meeting with one of his patients. We had the opportunity to ask her questions about her care and what she appreciated about her physician. We also toured the simulation center and had the opportunity to watch the dummy die and try to bring him back to life. Other presentations in the morning included hearing about research opportunities and hearing the perspective of a current student.

At lunch time, a LOT of current students joined us as UF provided lunch (free food!) - when I say a lot of students, I mean at least a 3:1 ratio of current students:interviewees. This was an excellent opportunity to talk with even MORE students during the day and I was impressed by how friendly everyone was (and how calm they seemed - even the MS2s who were eating lunch between final exams). We ate lunch in one of the lecture halls, which are set up with lots of round tables. I LOVED this space and the concept of listening to lectures while sitting around those tables instead of in stadium seating. It provided an opportunity for more interaction and felt more intimate. I could see myself sitting there. We went on the tour - the new building is beautiful and takes advantage of the natural Florida light. I also loved that they took the trees they cleared during construction and turned them into boards to use as decoration throughout the entire building. The facilities are truly amazing. I also really loved that the hospital is on site, so no extensive driving once you get there. It should be noted that all students are required to do at least one clerkship in Jacksonville. One of my tour leaders did part of every rotation there, so we got the low down on which rotations were the best. I appreciate that it gives students multiple perspectives, although I can imagine some students may not like the idea of spending part of third year in Jacksonville.

I discovered during the tour that anatomy lab is a little different - it extends over both the first and second year. During the first year, you do prosection (along with radiology), which means you're referencing the parts dissected by others. What you learn in anatomy is coordinated with the system you are learning at the time in class. During second year you do dissection. This immersion in anatomy and the hands-on approach matches my learning style, so it is one of my favorite aspects of the school. At the beginning of medical school, you are also placed into a small group of eight with a clinical faculty member. You meet with this group throughout all four years to discuss problems and school (you meet often during the first two years and less often after). The clinical faculty have to apply for these positions and are excited to mentor the students.

My interviews were low-key. One was a conversation while the other was based on specific questions about me and my application. We met back for some final remarks and went on our way.

All in all it was an excellent (albeit long) day. I felt that I had a good impression about the school and its mission as well as the students that attend there. I honestly wouldn't have cut any part of the day and was happy to be there the full 9 hours. Best of luck to anyone interviewing!
I love this program. It's just like their PA Program (or vice versa)
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So, just like earlier this week, I'm trying to study for PChem and failing miserably, so I thought I would update on the interview experience here and my general impression of the school

I thought UF did an amazing job with the interview day. I attended the dinner the night before the interview and a LOT of current med students showed up. UF pays for the dinner, which encourages students to attend and gave those of us interviewing an excellent opportunity to ask questions with no pressure. The interview day was a really great experience. I don't have the schedule in front of me, so I'll miss quite a few of the presentations, but what really impressed me was the introduction that the dean gave in the morning. He told us what UF is looking for in its applicants (the admissions committee is looking for people who will provide patient-centered, compassionate care). The rest of the presentation was about the patient-centered physician. I was really impressed with the focus on providing outstanding care. There were other presentations throughout the day, and one of my favorites was hearing from a UF physician and meeting with one of his patients. We had the opportunity to ask her questions about her care and what she appreciated about her physician. We also toured the simulation center and had the opportunity to watch the dummy die and try to bring him back to life. Other presentations in the morning included hearing about research opportunities and hearing the perspective of a current student.

At lunch time, a LOT of current students joined us as UF provided lunch (free food!) - when I say a lot of students, I mean at least a 3:1 ratio of current students:interviewees. This was an excellent opportunity to talk with even MORE students during the day and I was impressed by how friendly everyone was (and how calm they seemed - even the MS2s who were eating lunch between final exams). We ate lunch in one of the lecture halls, which are set up with lots of round tables. I LOVED this space and the concept of listening to lectures while sitting around those tables instead of in stadium seating. It provided an opportunity for more interaction and felt more intimate. I could see myself sitting there. We went on the tour - the new building is beautiful and takes advantage of the natural Florida light. I also loved that they took the trees they cleared during construction and turned them into boards to use as decoration throughout the entire building. The facilities are truly amazing. I also really loved that the hospital is on site, so no extensive driving once you get there. It should be noted that all students are required to do at least one clerkship in Jacksonville. One of my tour leaders did part of every rotation there, so we got the low down on which rotations were the best. I appreciate that it gives students multiple perspectives, although I can imagine some students may not like the idea of spending part of third year in Jacksonville.

I discovered during the tour that anatomy lab is a little different - it extends over both the first and second year. During the first year, you do prosection (along with radiology), which means you're referencing the parts dissected by others. What you learn in anatomy is coordinated with the system you are learning at the time in class. During second year you do dissection. This immersion in anatomy and the hands-on approach matches my learning style, so it is one of my favorite aspects of the school. At the beginning of medical school, you are also placed into a small group of eight with a clinical faculty member. You meet with this group throughout all four years to discuss problems and school (you meet often during the first two years and less often after). The clinical faculty have to apply for these positions and are excited to mentor the students.

My interviews were low-key. One was a conversation while the other was based on specific questions about me and my application. We met back for some final remarks and went on our way.

All in all it was an excellent (albeit long) day. I felt that I had a good impression about the school and its mission as well as the students that attend there. I honestly wouldn't have cut any part of the day and was happy to be there the full 9 hours. Best of luck to anyone interviewing!
Sorry to hear you're in Pchem 🙁 but thank you so much for this insight!!!
 
II just now! Complete on 7/11.


Wow, you just got an interview and were complete July 11th? At that rate, i'll never get an interview haha. I was complete at the end of August. Do they call you or email you about interview invites?
 
Wow, you just got an interview and were complete July 11th? At that rate, i'll never get an interview haha. I was complete at the end of August. Do they call you or email you about interview invites?
They called first and sent an email after the call was done.