2017-2018 University of Illinois

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I dont think its happening today may be Monday .

Members don't see this ad.

I was told that if I don't hear before Thanksgiving, I should assume I'm on the waiting list. Wish they'd hurry up and send out them decisions!

Reactions: 1 user
I guess do they send the decision to every one in one batch file or it bleeds into different hours or even different days. I am sure there will be at least 60-90 applicants getting decision this round of acceptance.
I think I read in some previous post that they accepted ~80-90 out of 128 Interviews which is quiet a good number of acceptances .

Members don't see this ad :)
So not to freak people out, but at my interview, they said they planned to send decisions on the 16 and if not, the 18th.

Is there a Facebook page for the incoming class?

Reactions: 2 users
Hi everyone. I'm a current M1 at UIC COM Chicago. If anyone has any specific questions (new curriculum, interview process, med school in general, etc.), feel free to send me a message. I'll check the forum posts occasionally too, but might not always see them right away. Good luck!

Where do you/most students live in Chicago? I'm hoping to get assigned to the Chicago campus and will need a dog friendly place.

I interviewed on Wedneday this last week, a day before the committee meeting on Thursday. They said that it would be too close to the committee meeting to make a decision and that we'd likely have to wait till next month (3rd thursday of december) to hear back

Well they did not announce anything on Friday so they might be still deciding.
Let's hope they announce on Monday

Is there a Facebook page for the incoming class?

It doesn't look like it. I think last year's was created in January and the year before that was December. I'm guessing it would be the same timeframe, but I think it's variable. If I hear about one, I'll post something.

Where do you/most students live in Chicago? I'm hoping to get assigned to the Chicago campus and will need a dog friendly place.

A lot of people live about a 15 minute walk away. I would say there are two main areas.

West is the Tri-Taylor neighborhood:
- Streets are around Polk and Taylor
- A little less expensive than Little Italy
- Considered a little less safe but still okay (but west of Western is considered a lot less safe)
- It's more residential, so not so not many restaurants

East is the Little Italy neighborhood:
- Streets are around Laflin and Taylor
- A little more expensive than Tri-Taylor
- Considered a little safer
- Closer to more restaurants and bars
- A little closer to the main UIC campus (undergrad)

When it gets closer to the school year people find roommates through the Facebook group and through a shared Google doc we create to help M1s find each other. I'll share some realty companies which specialize in the area to find apartments for students later on.

Not sure how easy it is to find a dog-friendly place. I know some people have pets though.

Also, a lot of other people just live throughout Chicago and just drive or take the train/bus. Just keep in mind that sometimes we have mandatory early morning classes (sometimes 8 or 9 AM). Also, when anatomy lab starts (M1 second semester) then this might be a pain if you spend late nights and weekends on campus.

Dorms (Google: UIC SSR dorm) are also an option, which are more apartment-like. Think of it like a two- or three-bedroom apartment which has a kitchen and bathroom. Each person has a key for their own room in the apartment and the kitchen and bathroom is shared between the two or three people. I think the dorms are pricey for what you get, but it has the shortest commute.

Reactions: 1 users
Deferred, tragically. Does anyone know what that means?

Accepted! No email, just checked the portal a few minutes ago.
:)

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If my portal didn't change at all, does that mean I was waitlisted or deferred?

ACCEPTED!!!! Now how do you submit the formal acceptance?? I can’t seem to find it anywhere!

Reactions: 3 users
Accepted! Wishing you all nothing but the best.

also accepted!! so happy!! has anyone gotten an email or the form where you rank the campuses?

Accepted!!! Congratulations to everyone!!!!! I haven’t received the email yet either!!

Accepted!!! Congratulations to everyone!!!!! I haven’t received the email yet either!!

When was your interview? I interviewed 11/10, but they said we would likely be in the November admissions meeting...I haven't heard back, so I'm wondering whether it's a sign I'm out, or if maybe my cohort didn't make it into the November meeting in the end...

Accepted!!!!!!! Complete 8/26, II on 10/11, Interviewed on 10/18. Wishing everyone else the best of luck this cycle :)

Reactions: 1 users
When was your interview? I interviewed 11/10, but they said we would likely be in the November admissions meeting...I haven't heard back, so I'm wondering whether it's a sign I'm out, or if maybe my cohort didn't make it into the November meeting in the end...
I interviewed on 10/18! I felt the same as you becuase I interviewed the day before they decided. I think you will probably hear back next time though.

Accepted!! Interviewed 11/08! Congrats to everyone too!!! Put Chicago down for preference but scared now that so many people are prob putting the same thing lol. When do we find out where we get placed??

Accepted!! Interviewed 11/08! Congrats to everyone too!!! Put Chicago down for preference but scared now that so many people are prob putting the same thing lol. When do we find out where we get placed??
Urgent question for those who have been accepted. It says that you have to accept their offer within essentially 2 weeks. Is this binding because I thought official decisions are not due until April 30th? In other words, if I click yes, am I in trouble with other schools that I'm still applying to?

Urgent question for those who have been accepted. It says that you have to accept their offer within essentially 2 weeks. Is this binding because I thought official decisions are not due until April 30th? In other words, if I click yes, am I in trouble with other schools that I'm still applying to?
No, you can still accept elsewhere, if you choose.

You can accept offers from multiple schools within 2 weeks of receiving them until April 30. (Having multiple offers/acceptances doesn't decrease your chances at other schools, I believe. So you can continue to interview elsewhere.) After April 30 you can only hold one acceptance. In other words, accept all the offers you get unless you know you don't want to go to that school for sure. Right before the April 30 deadline, choose the school you want to go to and decline the offers for all the other schools. You get your refundable deposits back. (The way I did it was I emailed the admissions offices a statement saying I was declining the offer. Then I followed up in a few days to make sure they got the email. Then I got the refunds shortly after. Easy.) After April 30 since everyone who held multiple acceptances can now only hold one acceptance, then there's a lot more movement off the waitlists and more candidates who were stuck in a holding pattern start to get acceptances.

Read the AAMC "traffic rules":
The AAMC Application and Acceptance Protocols - Admission Officers

5. On or before April 30, permit ALL applicants (except for EDP applicants):
a. A minimum of two weeks to respond to their acceptance offer.
b. To hold acceptance offers or a waitlist position from any other schools or programs without penalty (i.e. scholarships).
6. After April 30, implement school-specific procedures for accepted applicants who, without adequate explanation, continue to hold one or more places at other schools or programs.
7. Each school's pre-enrollment deposit should not exceed $100 and (except for EDP applicants,) be refundable until April 30. If the applicant enrolls at the school, the school should credit the deposit toward tuition. Schools should not require additional deposits or matriculation fees prior to matriculation.

For anyone who has received an II, what was your portal status pre-II?

Did it read,
1. "Your application is under consideration by the screening committee" or
2. "Your application has been forwarded to the screening committee"

Who else hasn't gotten an acceptance? I was told Nov. 16th I'd hear but still haven't heard anything, and my status page hasn't updated.

Secondary received yesterday,seems kind of late to me. Does anyone know roughly how many people who receive secondary get an ii. Also does anyone know how soon after sending the secondary can one expect to hear back?

Secondary received yesterday,seems kind of late to me. Does anyone know roughly how many people who receive secondary get an ii. Also does anyone know how soon after sending the secondary can one expect to hear back?
Almost everyone gets a secondary based on stats they showed interview day. Thus look at MSAR for amount applied and the amount of interviews given. This will give you a rough estimate not counting people who do not complete their secondary. Also the time can vary on when you hear back.

When did you submit your primary? Did you have an IA?

When did you submit your primary? Did you have an IA?
I submitted mid August, and had not heard from the school until yesterday. I read on their website that they only send secondaries to individuals they are strongly considering for admissions that's the reason why I was a bit confused. What is an IA?

Who else hasn't gotten an acceptance? I was told Nov. 16th I'd hear but still haven't heard anything, and my status page hasn't updated.

I interviewed in October, and my status page still hasn't changed either. Is the portal supposed to update if you get deferred?

I interviewed in October, and my status page still hasn't changed either. Is the portal supposed to update if you get deferred?
I think it would update. Someone above said a couple of days ago their portal updated to Deferred status. Hoping this isn't a bad thing!

I submitted mid August, and had not heard from the school until yesterday. I read on their website that they only send secondaries to individuals they are strongly considering for admissions that's the reason why I was a bit confused. What is an IA?

IA = institutional action

So i submitted my secondary on 9/27 and they received my letters on 10/06. It has been complete silence then. I am an OOS. Do you guys know how long it usually takes to get an II, or pre-II rejection after submitting the secondary? Getting pretty antsy.
Status: "Your application has been forwarded to the screening committee"

Last edited:
So i submitted my secondary on 9/27 and they received my letters on 10/06. It has been complete silence then. I am an OOS. Do you guys know how long it usually takes to get an II, or pre-II rejection after submitting the secondary? Getting pretty antsy.
Status: "Your application has been forwarded to the screening committee"

OOS complete mid-August with letters. You're in for the long haul. I'm also MSTP, if that affects how soon I hear back.

Did I screw myself over? This school is my #1 choice. I thought I was IS, as I was born and raised in the north shore suburbs and even attended college in Illinois. I just moved out to California for a gap year job and I put my permanent residence as my california address. IF I get accepted here, will I lose my in-state tuition..?

OOS complete mid-August with letters. You're in for the long haul. I'm also MSTP, if that affects how soon I hear back.
I keep seeing this MSTP... what exactly is that? Also, are you still in silence too?

Did anyone who got an interview have the status "under consideration by the admissions committee" beforehand? I was complete early July and would appreciate a heads up if that means a rejection is coming soon.. :shrug:

Got an II this morning which made Thanksgiving 10x better!! Completed 11/6 but I'm IS so. Kind of strange that they would send emails on Thanksgiving day. Also means I can't call to schedule my interview right away. Hope others got the email today too!!

Did anyone who got an interview have the status "under consideration by the admissions committee" beforehand? I was complete early July and would appreciate a heads up if that means a rejection is coming soon.. :shrug:

+1