2017-2018 University of Nebraska

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
9/1 interview. Good luck to everyone going for early decision!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Interview 8/25. Good luck to other early decision people!

What is everyone's plan for the next year before Med school?

What is everyone's plan for the next year before Med school?
Get accepted into school first, then play a ridiculous amount of golf leading up until school starts. I work at an Ophthalmology clinic currently and plan on keeping that job until school would start

Has anyone considered appealing the decision for rejection as of yet? Curious as to whether or not I should...

I will be taking the August 19th MCAT for a retake; does anyone know IS applicants here at UNMC are extended interviews even if they are waiting on mcat score release? (I have heard some schools do this) I am planning on submitting my secondary as soon as I can finish and have it be well written after my mcat.

The amcas deadline is the hard deadline for your application. There are also transcript deadlines. The last interview date is before Christmas for the normal cycle. There's an area on your amcas where you list if you have a pending exam date. Once the scores are released it'll load on your app. You can take the mcat anytime through September and still be considered for this cycle because the scores will load prior to the amcas deadline of November.

If you applied for early decision and are retaking it, then I'm not sure how that would work. They make the ED decisions in September and mail by 10/1.

Last edited:
The amcas deadline is the hard deadline for your application. There are also transcript deadlines. The last interview date is before Christmas for the normal cycle. There's an area on your amcas where you list if you have a pending exam date. Once the scores are released it'll load on your app. You can take the mcat anytime through September and still be considered for this cycle because the scores will load prior to the amcas deadline of November.

If you applied for early decision and are retaking it, then I'm not sure how that would work. They make the ED decisions in September and mail by 10/1.

While I do thank you for replying, you didn't understand what my question was: my question was regarding if they send interview invites prior to second mcat score release. I have already been verified and received a secondary invite. Any ideas on if they send interview before mcat score for IS? I know like all in states get interview at UNMC so i didn't know if they will wait or not.

Would it be worth submitting an application here OOS, 506, 3.9/3.9, application prioritizes serving underserved pops

Would it be worth submitting an application here OOS, 506, 3.9/3.9, application prioritizes serving underserved pops
Couldn't hurt if you don't mind sending in the secondary application fee. Their MCAT average is 510 so your score is definitely within range.

Members don't see this ad :)
Interview done! Now the wait until the end of the month...

Reactions: 2 users
What is everyone up to while we wait? I am going crazy o_O

Hey, guys so I know that at most schools getting an interview is a huge deal and shows that the school is strongly considering you but with Nebraska, almost everyone from IS gets an interview. I just wanted to know how important the interview was at Nebraska. I know that it is very important but does it hold as much weight as other schools? My GPA and MCAT are pretty average and I have some above average ECs as well as a lot of things involving giving back to Nebraska. But I am banking on the interview being my selling point, does anyone know how Nebraska goes about deciding on who to accept for IS students?

As far as I know, if you are IS you get an interview no matter what. I know the evaluation made during the interview is an important part of it. Grades, MCAT, and experiences definitely matter the most. It's good to be around their posted accepted averages from the prior year.

Does anyone else's secondary online say they are still waiting for your LORs? My secondary was complete a long time ago and I have my interview next week.

Does anyone else's secondary online say they are still waiting for your LORs? My secondary was complete a long time ago and I have my interview next week.
How do you even get to this option? Whenever I log in it goes right to my payment receipt and I can't figure out how to look at anything else.

It will say waiting until they pull your letters from amcas. It doesn't mean anything is wrong

I just submitted my primary (late, I know but it's better to apply with a higher mcat score) and I'm instate. Does anyone have an idea of how long you waited between sending primary and getting secondary?

Also, is it true that most IS applicants automatically get interviews?

Thanks!

I just submitted my primary (late, I know but it's better to apply with a higher mcat score) and I'm instate. Does anyone have an idea of how long you waited between sending primary and getting secondary?

Also, is it true that most IS applicants automatically get interviews?

Thanks![/QUOTE
1 to 5 working days.
Are you Iowan (IS) or Nebraskan (IS). I saw you mentioning IA as IS.

Huskerne, funny thing. I am considered in state for both NE and IA. I moved to IA one year ago so IS there, and graduated from high school in NE. If I had to pick, I would choose IS for IA but since both schools accept, I won't complain! :)

Huskerne, funny thing. I am considered in state for both NE and IA. I moved to IA one year ago so IS there, and graduated from high school in NE. If I had to pick, I would choose IS for IA but since both schools accept, I won't complain! :)
:)

Is there a Facebook group going?

Anyone who interviewed on 9/29 (or any other day)... any advice?

Anyone who interviewed on 9/29 (or any other day)... any advice?

It is super relaxed. You have nothing to worry about. They do a bunch of presentations and tours before the interview so you are pretty comfortable by the time you have an interview. Relax and enjoy yourself, it's a beautiful campus.

Reactions: 1 users
There's no portal or anything after one pays and they have all of your AMCAS materials/LORs right? Also, does anyone know if they accept pre-II updates?

There's no portal or anything after one pays and they have all of your AMCAS materials/LORs right? Also, does anyone know if they accept pre-II updates?
I think they do... but when I interviewed on Friday, they asked that you condense all your updates into as minimal emails as possible and use the same format as the AMCAS activities/experiences, otherwise they might not be able to condense them as easily for the ad com. Hope this helps!

I think they do... but when I interviewed on Friday, they asked that you condense all your updates into as minimal emails as possible and use the same format as the AMCAS activities/experiences, otherwise they might not be able to condense them as easily for the ad com. Hope this helps!
Thank you! Hope the interview went well and you hear back some good news soon :)

Could someone please explain to me how they make decisions for acceptance post interview? And how long I can expect to wait? I interviewed 10/13. Thank you!

Could someone please explain to me how they make decisions for acceptance post interview? And how long I can expect to wait? I interviewed 10/13. Thank you!

I interviewed on 10/13 too, and they told us during the admissions presentation that 95% of people will not hear before January... Not sure how they make decisions though.

I also interviewed on 10/13 but I am a reapplicant this year. From my experiences last year, they did not make decisions in order of interview date. There were several friends who interviewed weeks and months after I did and heard back over a month earlier than me. I was ultimately rejected and they were accepted though. I do know that they don't save all the rejections till March because there were several people that were rejected up until March. The admissions committee tells us that they review files in a random order but we don't know exactly how they decide which files to review first. Unless you have stellar stats and great experiences, I would not expect to hear back until Jan to March.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I interviewed on 10/13 too, and they told us during the admissions presentation that 95% of people will not hear before January... Not sure how they make decisions though.
I am currently a M1 here. We received acceptance letters on 19th December and the letter was postmarked as 16DEC16.
I was interviewed on 21OCT16.

Reactions: 2 users
I am currently a M1 here. We received acceptance letters on 19th December and the letter was postmarked as 16DEC16.
I was interviewed on 21OCT16.
What were your stats?