2017-2018 University of Texas - Rio Grande Valley

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
II a couple of days ago! Very thankful. My app transmitted on 6/30, secondary submitted early July and letters in early August. The earliest date I was offered was 10/13. IS but no ties to the Valley, but really excited to visit and see the school. Good luck to everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
II here yesterday! In state no ties to the area

Reactions: 1 users
Flights booked, man, flying into the valley is not cheap.

Reactions: 2 users
When is the earliest available interview date, does anyone know? I currently have an interview scheduled for September, but due to an unforeseen personal circumstance, I need to reschedule. Would I have to wait until November... x.x

Flights booked, man, flying into the valley is not cheap.
For those of you who will be using a rental car, consider flying in to Harlingen rather than McAllen, because Southwest Airlines serves Harlingen and prices are generally lower than United or American.
Harlingen is only 30 miles east.
I realize it may be too late for you, @breachnkd since you already booked.

When is the earliest available interview date, does anyone know? I currently have an interview scheduled for September, but due to an unforeseen personal circumstance, I need to reschedule. Would I have to wait until November... x.x
When I scheduled this past Wednesday, there were spots 10/27 and then in November starting 11/10 I believe

Is it possible to Uber from McAllen airport to the school?

Members don't see this ad :)
When I scheduled this past Wednesday, there were spots 10/27 and then in November starting 11/10 I believe

Oh wow. They are filling up sooo fast. I still have hope to get an interview here but there's not that many days left to interview.

Oh wow. They are filling up sooo fast. I still have hope to get an interview here but there's not that many days left to interview.
There was plenty of days left in November, I did not look past November before selecting my date, but I assume there were dates in December and possibly even further down the line as well. Don't lose hope :)

Possibly- but be aware that Uber is VERY new in the Rio Grande Valley and availability may not be what you hope for.
Hmmm... ok thank you! I guess I'll have to figure that out, I wasn't really planning on renting a car lol

The earliest I saw when I reserved my spot this past week was 10/13

The last interview is around Jan 20th I believe.

Is it possible to Uber from McAllen airport to the school?

Uber and Lyft are very new to the RGV so rates might be pretty high, but it is possible. I guess I should also say that while the McAllen airport is a lot closer to UTRGV than the Harlingen airport, it is still relatively far. So yeah, it will be a pretty expensive ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For those of you who will be using a rental car, consider flying in to Harlingen rather than McAllen, because Southwest Airlines serves Harlingen and prices are generally lower than United or American.
Harlingen is only 30 miles east.
I realize it may be too late for you, @breachnkd since you already booked.
I have trip insurance so i can change it if needed, but it looks like even southwest is the same for me. little over 600 for the flights. Thanks for the thought!

Uber and Lyft are very new to the RGV so rates might be pretty high, but it is possible. I guess I should also say that while the McAllen airport is a lot closer to UTRGV than the Harlingen airport, it is still relatively far. So yeah, it will be a pretty expensive ride.

yep, 12-14 miles from McAllen International Airport to UTRGV SOM. If Uber prices are super high for that distance, it might be worth it to rent a car and have mobility. Harlingen airport would be too far to Uber

yep, 12-14 miles from McAllen International Airport to UTRGV SOM. If Uber prices are super high for that distance, it might be worth it to rent a car and have mobility. Harlingen airport would be too far to Uber

What do you recommend for people who don't drive?

Oh okay! Are those prices comparable or worse than the inflated uber prices?
Here is a Lyft page, estimated price$15-22 for the oneway ride to the med school from airport. Rio Grande Valley
I searched the same info on Uber and it says "no driver available" LOL

A taxi would probably be twice as much :(

Maybe you could try to stay in a hotel as close as possible to the McAllen airport, get a Lyft ride TO your interview, and carpool back FROM the interview with another applicant!

hi I'm an MS1 at UTRGV, let me know if you have any questions
@thx1137 and @parrotlet2016, can you chime in on transportation information? How can interviewees get from McAllen airport to UTRGV SOM and back? Are Uber and Lyft now available in the McAllen-Edinburg area? How expensive and how hard to get with a time limitation?

@thx1137 and @parrotlet2016, can you chime in on transportation information? How can interviewees get from McAllen airport to UTRGV SOM and back? Are Uber and Lyft now available in the McAllen-Edinburg area? How expensive and how hard to get with a time limitation?

Uber is available for sure. Checking on my phone, it costs about $19 from the airport to school (one way) so it'll probably be best to split the cost. Everytime I look on the app there's about 6-8 Uber cars somewhere in the city. I believe Lyft is available but I don't have the app so I'm not sure of the price. Other option is taxi but it'll be more expensive (not sure on the exact cost).

I can go bother the admissions department to see if they have ideas, but it's labor day weekend so expect a delay on that answer (regardless the first interview is 9/11 so the delay wont be a major issue). The hotel I had for my interview had a deal to take us to the school but that's when interviews were in Harlingen not Edinburg. I'll double check if any hotels here have that deal.

Uber is available for sure. Checking on my phone, it costs about $19 from the airport to school (one way) so it'll probably be best to split the cost. Everytime I look on the app there's about 6-8 Uber cars somewhere in the city. I believe Lyft is available but I don't have the app so I'm not sure of the price. Other option is taxi but it'll be more expensive (not sure on the exact cost).

I can go bother the admissions department to see if they have ideas, but it's labor day weekend so expect a delay on that answer (regardless the first interview is 9/11 so the delay wont be a major issue). The hotel I had for my interview had a deal to take us to the school but that's when interviews were in Harlingen not Edinburg. I'll double check if any hotels here have that deal.
Rent a car, split it with another person going to the II. might as well travel on your time for the same price.

I'd be willing to pick up anyone from either airport for the 10/7 interview date. I'm flying into McAllen late on the 5th and renting a car. I fly out on the morning of the 8th. Decided to come a day early to visit family. It was actually only $380 for my flight into McAllen (AA) so I guess I just got it on a good day. I'm staying in McAllen but could also pick people up OMW to the interview.

Does anyone know if UTRGV heavily prematches?

Does anyone know of and hotel deals in the RGV? Asking for the 10/7 interview.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

does interviewing early help if both dates are before pre match? For example, is interviewing in September better than in October?

Got an II on 9/1/17

Primary transmitted 7/27/2017, Secondary received on 8/8/2017 and submitted 8/12/2017!

LizzyM score ~63 but have tons of EC, research, and an unique background.

Got an II on 9/1/17

Primary transmitted 7/27/2017, Secondary received on 8/8/2017 and submitted 8/12/2017!

LizzyM score ~63 but have tons of EC, research, and an unique background.
Thanks for posting and all the info!
Wow! Congratulations!!!

Just got a secondary!

Woah, I got an II today! I was not expecting it since I'm OOS. LizzyM 67, extremely nontrad applicant. Super stoked! :)

Reactions: 3 users
Woah, I got an II today! I was not expecting it since I'm OOS. LizzyM 67, extremely nontrad applicant. Super stoked! :)

Congratulations! That's awesome! Go crush that interview!
Do you mind sharing what dates were offered and when you were complete?

Congratulations! That's awesome! Go crush that interview!
Do you mind sharing what dates were offered and when you were complete?

Sure!

TMDSAS Transmitted 07/28
Secondary Invitation 08/08
Secondary Complete 08/23
Interview Invite 09/07
Interview Scheduled 11/17 (there are no dates left in October; November had plenty of available interview spots)

Sure!

TMDSAS Transmitted 07/28
Secondary Invitation 08/08
Secondary Complete 08/23
Interview Invite 09/07
Interview Scheduled 11/17 (there are no dates left in October; November had plenty of available interview spots)

WOW! You've had a relatively fast turn around! That's amazing!

Just got an II for next Friday! (9/15)

Congratulations!!! Wow I didn't know they still had dates in September!! When was your file complete? Thanks for posting!
Thank you!! Yeah, I was really surprised to see that date available. Probably good timing with a cancellation? Not sure :p

I was complete June 28th - thought I had been passed up but it appears to not have been the case!

Would any current student be willing to speak about the school from a personal/student level? You could DM me too! I would like to know what, in your opinion, truly makes this school unique.

Thank u in advance!

Landing in Mcallen tomorrow at 3:18 pm, if anyone needs a ride to hotels let me know, i have a rental car, don't worry about splitting fairs.

If anyone interviewing today feels like sharing how the day went, I'd be willing to listen. :)