-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2017-2018 Virginia Commonwealth University
Started by gyngyn
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
It just means you passed the initial screening and you may now complete the secondary. That's all it means. Nothing more, nothing less. Perhaps you do have a decent shot. Just do your best and see what happens!Thank you all for the reply!
Edit: I got an email today informing me I can proceed!
Does that mean I have a decent shot?
It just means you passed the initial screening and you may now complete the secondary. That's all it means. Nothing more, nothing less. Perhaps you do have a decent shot. Just do your best and see what happens!
Wise words from Agent Michael Scarn
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I pre-screened out. Pretty average stats (506 MCAT, 3.40 UGPA, 3.62 in my bioethics MA program at Wake Forest), but I'm a non-traditional (philosophy, history, Latin American Studies), in-state, older student (28 yo) and have 2000 hours of shadowing and clinical research experience, 600 unique patient encounters as an oncology research coordinator here at UVA, a year of service work in Latin America, extensive social science research work, several hundred hospital volunteer hours around Charlottesville, three presentations at a national bioethics conference, and I'm a gay, first-gen college grad.
I definitely was a little disappointed, but I know you can't win them all. Good luck everyone!
I definitely was a little disappointed, but I know you can't win them all. Good luck everyone!
Last edited:
To put some data in perspective, VCU SOM has about 9,500-10,000 applicants each year. About 1/3 are invited to complete a secondary (~3,000) and about 1,000 are invited to interview. In-staters tend to have a better shot, as about 500 interviews are given to in-state students (out of the ~1,200 in-staters that submit an initial application). From there, slightly less than 400 offers of admission are given in total.
This info comes from what I was told during my interview in the fall 2016 and the sources below:
http://www.medschool.vcu.edu/media/medschool/documents/2015-2016ExecutiveSummary8-11-16FINAL.pdf
http://medical-schools.startclass.com/l/63/Virginia-Commonwealth-University-School-of-Medicine
This info comes from what I was told during my interview in the fall 2016 and the sources below:
http://www.medschool.vcu.edu/media/medschool/documents/2015-2016ExecutiveSummary8-11-16FINAL.pdf
http://medical-schools.startclass.com/l/63/Virginia-Commonwealth-University-School-of-Medicine
Is anyone else also having trouble logging in? I have reset my password twice and then when I log out and try to log in again it won't let me.
Had this issue as well, this is what I found out a while back:
Update on the portal log in issues, in case anyone else is having the same problem: I talked to someone on the phone, and it turns out that passwords need to be 10 characters or less, and can only include numbers or letters. If the password you choose is too long or has invalid characters, you won't get an error when you set it, but you won't be able to use it to log in. Now that I've set a password within those parameters, everything works fine! The admissions folks were super helpful, and it sounds like they're trying to get these instructions added to the portal for the future.
9,500-10,000 applicants each year. About 1/3 are invited to complete a secondary (~3,000) and about 1,000 are invited to interview.
If this is true, this makes me much happier about getting invited to complete a secondary as an OOS applicant. Who's with me?
Anybody here have really strong state ties but did not voice it on the secondary? I am a military kid, that was born and lived in Virginia, but I am now in the midwest. I haven't been rejected yet and I completed my application 7/7 so I was hoping my strong ties could bump me over.
Does this school do silent rejections?
I still haven't heard anything since their first email saying they received my primary app...
I still haven't heard anything since their first email saying they received my primary app...
It's been a couple of weeks at most, and they get 10,000+ applications. Be patient. I'm sure you'll hear back soon.Does this school do silent rejections?
I still haven't heard anything since their first email saying they received my primary app...
What was your science GPA?? If what you say is true, then I would place money on your science GPA being lower than is required.I pre-screened out. Pretty average stats (506 MCAT, 3.40 UGPA, 3.62 in my bioethics MA program at Wake Forest), but I'm a non-traditional (philosophy, history, Latin American Studies), in-state, older student (28 yo) and have 2000 hours of shadowing and clinical research experience, 600 unique patient encounters as an oncology research coordinator here at UVA, a year of service work in Latin America, extensive social science research work, several hundred hospital volunteer hours around Charlottesville, three presentations at a national bioethics conference, and I'm a gay, first-gen college grad.
I definitely was a little disappointed, but I know you can't win them all. Good luck everyone!
Anyone wanna trade secondaries?
I'm assuming admissions for fmSTAT and the SoM are separate decisions?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm assuming admissions for fmSTAT and the SoM are separate decisions?
did you apply fmSTAT?
did you apply fmSTAT?
Yes, I'm interviewing at both fmSTAT and regular SoM. I'm assuming it's based on a decision by the SoM and then, if accepted, I'll have a subsequent decision by fmSTAT
Just checked the portal...what do i make of this...
"The Committee's file review indicates that they are very interested in your candidacy. We are trying to interview all candidates at your priority score interviewed as soon as possible if we have an adequate number of interview slots. Please anticipate an e-mail from us regarding a possible interview date."
"The Committee's file review indicates that they are very interested in your candidacy. We are trying to interview all candidates at your priority score interviewed as soon as possible if we have an adequate number of interview slots. Please anticipate an e-mail from us regarding a possible interview date."
Just checked the portal...what do i make of this...
"The Committee's file review indicates that they are very interested in your candidacy. We are trying to interview all candidates at your priority score interviewed as soon as possible if we have an adequate number of interview slots. Please anticipate an e-mail from us regarding a possible interview date."
Sounds like a pre-interview hold
Sounds like a pre-interview hold
oh so they are still in the midst of screening me or whatever.....well, i hope i make it through lol
At this point in the season it means you have an interview. That may not be the case later on.oh so they are still in the midst of screening me or whatever.....well, i hope i make it through lol
Just checked the portal...what do i make of this...
"The Committee's file review indicates that they are very interested in your candidacy. We are trying to interview all candidates at your priority score interviewed as soon as possible if we have an adequate number of interview slots. Please anticipate an e-mail from us regarding a possible interview date."
Jk. It's been addressed.
When were you complete?Just checked the portal...what do i make of this...
"The Committee's file review indicates that they are very interested in your candidacy. We are trying to interview all candidates at your priority score interviewed as soon as possible if we have an adequate number of interview slots. Please anticipate an e-mail from us regarding a possible interview date."
Does anyone know how I should notify them of state ties? They've said not to call and stress on their website to only give updates at their request.
There is no mechanism to indicate this above and beyond your personal statement, your past institutions, and your potential legacy status. Apart from that, you can make your Virginia state ties known at a potential interview.Does anyone know how I should notify them of state ties? They've said not to call and stress on their website to only give updates at their request.
When were you complete?
On July 12th
Hey guys I had a quick question about whether you think I satisfy the pre-req requirements. So I used AP credit for General bio 1, gen chem 1, calc 1, calc 2, and an english class. The general bio 1 and gen chem 1 that I got credit for have labs within them. The VCU pre-req website says that they accept AP credit but that lab credit will still be required. Would my lab credit that was part of the classes I got AP credit still satisfy that requirement? Also, I have advanced biology coursework beyond general bio, do you think that would satisfy the biology pre-req?
Hey guys I had a quick question about whether you think I satisfy the pre-req requirements. So I used AP credit for General bio 1, gen chem 1, calc 1, calc 2, and an english class. The general bio 1 and gen chem 1 that I got credit for have labs within them. The VCU pre-req website says that they accept AP credit but that lab credit will still be required. Would my lab credit that was part of the classes I got AP credit still satisfy that requirement? Also, I have advanced biology coursework beyond general bio, do you think that would satisfy the biology pre-req?
Emailing them would give you a more accurate answer than any of us could provide.
Just checked the portal...what do i make of this...
"The Committee's file review indicates that they are very interested in your candidacy. We are trying to interview all candidates at your priority score interviewed as soon as possible if we have an adequate number of interview slots. Please anticipate an e-mail from us regarding a possible interview date."
When did you submit your secondary?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
VCU, please send a secondary my way 😳
oh so they are still in the midst of screening me or whatever.....well, i hope i make it through lol
Did you apply to fmSTAT or just the regular program?
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
When did you submit your secondary?
I got an email from them about status change on my application on July 12th (which was just an update on my secondary receipt). I think I submitted on the 11th though.
Just regular. Was there an extra essay or something for the fmstat or did we just have an option for this? I cant remember exactly (which i should lol)
What's the character limit on this?For this question:
Please briefly explain any lapses in your undergraduate education; include any in enrollment during your undergraduate education and/or any gaps between undergraduate education and applying to medical school. (example: poor grades, multiple withdraws, health reasons, etc.)
Does this include time taken off after undergraduate to work a job and go to grad school? The second part suggests yes, but it's not a "lapse in my undergraduate education" as the first part prompts us to do.
Just regular. Was there an extra essay or something for the fmstat or did we just have an option for this? I cant remember exactly (which i should lol)
If you ranked FM #1 on your desired specialty then you had the option to apply for fmSTAT and do two other essays
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
If you ranked FM #1 on your desired specialty then you had the option to apply for fmSTAT and do two other essays
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
I've always wanted to be a family practitioner, so I applied for fmSTAT. I have been wondering: does applying for fmSTAT lend leniency to some of the stats? I don't have a great MCAT score, but I have a passion to practice FM. Hope they see that, but I'm not sure it will make a big enough difference.
Does anyone have VCU SOM's email? Or know how I can send updated info? I don't see a place for it on the portal.
I'm pretty sure they don't accept updates unless specifically requested.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
I'm pretty sure they don't accept updates unless specifically requested.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Do you know if they are receptive to "in the area" emails?
Do you know if they are receptive to "in the area" emails?
I have no clue, sorry!
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Submitted! Hoping my hometown gives me some love 🙂
Just submitted too, so appreciate a break from the cookie cutter secondary questions
Does this school do silent rejections?
I still haven't heard anything since their first email saying they received my primary app...
If you still haven't heard anything try checking the actual portal if you haven't done so already. I got invited to complete a secondary. Never got the email for it, but it was updated in my portal!
Hmm. I took about 5 days to submit this secondary (compare that to the pileup I'm still working my way out of where each of these things is taking around 2 weeks, haha...)--received on 7/5 and submitted 7/9 or 7/10 (got a status change email after completion). Logged in randomly today and they still say "Your M.D. file is now complete. The Sub-Committee will now do a review of your application. Once this review is complete, you will receive a status update regarding your profile." I guess they're still reviewing me? I won't be horribly surprised if that's true because my PI took ages to get his letter to me (I did have 3 other letters already on AMCAS at the time), but I wonder if I should start worrying. OOS, 3.6c/515.
What was your science GPA?? If what you say is true, then I would place money on your science GPA being lower than is required.
You'd probably lose that bet. 3.20.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am in the same boat with similar stats.Hmm. I took about 5 days to submit this secondary (compare that to the pileup I'm still working my way out of where each of these things is taking around 2 weeks, haha...)--received on 7/5 and submitted 7/9 or 7/10 (got a status change email after completion). Logged in randomly today and they still say "Your M.D. file is now complete. The Sub-Committee will now do a review of your application. Once this review is complete, you will receive a status update regarding your profile." I guess they're still reviewing me? I won't be horribly surprised if that's true because my PI took ages to get his letter to me (I did have 3 other letters already on AMCAS at the time), but I wonder if I should start worrying. OOS, 3.6c/515.
Just logged in and saw this (submitted secondary Jul 13):
Your complete application has been considered carefully by the Admissions Committee, and we regret that we are unable to offer you a position in the class beginning in August 2018.
The Committee understands the disappointing nature of their decision and urges you to consult with your pre-med advisor to discuss the possibility for improvement of your application.
We wish you the very best of success with your future plans.
Your complete application has been considered carefully by the Admissions Committee, and we regret that we are unable to offer you a position in the class beginning in August 2018.
The Committee understands the disappointing nature of their decision and urges you to consult with your pre-med advisor to discuss the possibility for improvement of your application.
We wish you the very best of success with your future plans.
You'd probably lose that bet. 3.20.
When can I collect??? The minimum is 3.3.
Oh snap. Got a source?When can I collect??? The minimum is 3.3.
Call them and demand a refundJust logged in and saw this (submitted secondary Jul 13):
Your complete application has been considered carefully by the Admissions Committee, and we regret that we are unable to offer you a position in the class beginning in August 2018.
The Committee understands the disappointing nature of their decision and urges you to consult with your pre-med advisor to discuss the possibility for improvement of your application.
We wish you the very best of success with your future plans.