2017-2018 Washington State University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Calls have gone out this time each month on a Friday this cycle. Maybe some of us will hear something today?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Calls have gone out this time each month on a Friday this cycle. Maybe some of us will hear something today?

I hope so. But I know there is an interview day today so they may be busy.

Reactions: 1 user
Helpful updates from yesterday’s interview:
-applicants who have interviewed before yesterday should be hearing back by the end of jan. Not sure what date. Not sure if they’re going have a system like “SUC”
-There are two more interview dates 2/2 and prob 2/16.
-obvi the latest date for anyone to hear back is 3/15. But I got the feeling that all interviewees should hear back before then.
-They are trying not to fill the class until all interviews have been done. (That’s nice of them)
-all interviewees probably already know this: no LOIs nor thank you letters will affect the admission committee’s decision. However updates are accepted during waitlist period.
- Pretty sure the waitlist is ranked, but no one will know what # you’re if placed on waitlist.
-this school is awesome, hope we all get in!!

For feb interviewers, if you could help keep us all sane and do a similar update, god bless you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
-applicants who have interviewed before yesterday should be hearing back by the end of jan. Not sure what date. Not sure if they’re going have a system like “SUC”
-obvi the latest date for anyone to hear back is 3/15. But I got the feeling that all interviewees should hear back before then.
-They are trying not to fill the class until all interviews have been done. (That’s nice of them)
-all interviewees probably already know this: no LOIs nor thank you letters will affect the admission committee’s decision. However updates are accepted during waitlist period.
- Pretty sure the waitlist is ranked, but no one will know what # you’re if placed on waitlist.

For feb interviewers, if you could help keep us all sane and do a similar update, god bless you.

So for those of us who haven't heard back about an interview, chances are we are SOL? I submitted my application at the beginning of October and have not heard anything. I recognize this is a little late but I was unable to take my MCAT until August, and thus was not able to decide if I wanted to apply or not until September.

So for those of us who haven't heard back about an interview, chances are we are SOL? I submitted my application at the beginning of October and have not heard anything. I recognize this is a little late but I was unable to take my MCAT until August, and thus was not able to decide if I wanted to apply or not until September.

I can’t say that, you could totally be getting an II for the feb dates. It sounds like they haven’t filled up their interview spots either. (Not 100% sure) They usually interview 30applicants/II, so that’s 60 more possible spots. From my interview date, I definitely know some people submitted their primary later than Oct. Have you received a secondary from them?

Keep hope, I know it’s a hard process.

As to follow up on hearing back from interviews (throw away account since this is identifiable), but I was the last person accepted last year, and it was literally like 10 days before class started. So if you make it onto the WL, don’t give up hope until the cycle is truely over. You never know how the dominos will fall when people are making last minute decisions.

I can’t say that, you could totally be getting an II for the feb dates. It sounds like they haven’t filled up their interview spots either. (Not 100% sure) They usually interview 30applicants/II, so that’s 60 more possible spots. From my interview date, I definitely know some people submitted their primary later than Oct. Have you received a secondary from them?

Keep hope, I know it’s a hard process.
Oh yeah I submitted my secondary in the beginning of October. Guess we’ll see.

As to follow up on hearing back from interviews (throw away account since this is identifiable), but I was the last person accepted last year, and it was literally like 10 days before class started. So if you make it onto the WL, don’t give up hope until the cycle is truely over. You never know how the dominos will fall when people are making last minute decisions.

Do you mind sharing what # you were on the waitlist? Or maybe how many ppl they accept off the waitlist?

We never knew the waitlist ranking #, so I unfortunately can’t answer that. But they published a “catch rate” of 1.52 on the website, which would mean 91 offers were given. I would say just guessing that maybe half were off waitlist, half were before WL. Obviously though because of the timeline being what it was last cycle, everything might be different this year.

Worst comes worst, I know they really try to be transparent throughout their admissions process and you could follow up with them. I would just sit tight until maybe feb. Crossing fingers for the sdn fam :)

I turned my application in mid-August and haven’t heard a peep, so you’re not alone! My stats are pretty average and I really want to work in underserved areas in WA so I’m hoping they just haven’t reviewed my application yet, but that could be wishful thinking...

In the same boat with you -- as in I submitted my application in the Fall. Not to sound whiny, but I'm a bit confused on why I didn't (or haven't) receive an II from WSU. I've received II's from other schools (including UW), but if you asked me the school that was most likely to give me an II, I would've said WSU. I guess they're really putting forth effort on finding students that fit their mission, and perhaps something I wrote in my secondaries just really didn't jive with them?

I turned my application in mid-August and haven’t heard a peep, so you’re not alone! My stats are pretty average and I really want to work in underserved areas in WA so I’m hoping they just haven’t reviewed my application yet, but that could be wishful thinking...
Yeah, my stats are pretty middle of the road too. I figured if I got any interview anywhere, it would be at WSU since I'm a resident and it's a relatively new school. I have gotten a couple of interviews at other schools as well, I was just really hoping I'd get one at WSU since that's really where I want to be.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, my stats are pretty middle of the road too. I figured if I got any interview anywhere, it would be at WSU since I'm a resident and it's a relatively new school. I have gotten a couple of interviews at other schools as well, I was just really hoping I'd get one at WSU since that's really where I want to be.
if you meet the stats threshold, they blind themselves to the gpa/mcat until after you're accepted or rejected. might be one of the only schools in the country to actually practice the holism they preach.

Reactions: 3 users
Since someone just got an II and submitted in July, everyone should have hope!

Reactions: 2 users
if you meet the stats threshold, they blind themselves to the gpa/mcat until after you're accepted or rejected. might be one of the only schools in the country to actually practice the holism they preach.

Yeah, I think that's a very critical piece of information to point out. Everyone interviewing is very impressive - people who have done peacecorps, people who worked for NIH, people who have been nurses, people who have been scribes (I can't believe like 50% of the applicants on my interview day are/were scribes). Anyway, I have a fun background and UW poo-pooed all over my app. We're not owed IIs just because we're in-state and have ties (literally everyone applying to WSU). Adding that - I hope your interviews went well, poster person far above. We'll all get in somewhere eventually...is what they have told me for a few decades now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I think that's a very critical piece of information to point out. Everyone interviewing is very impressive - people who have done peacecorps, people who worked for NIH, people who have been nurses, people who have been scribes (I can't believe like 50% of the applicants on my interview day are/were scribes). Anyway, I have a fun background and UW poo-pooed all over my app. We're not owed IIs just because we're in-state and have ties (literally everyone applying to WSU). Adding that - I hope your interviews went well, poster person far above. We'll all get in somewhere eventually...is what they have told me for a few decades now.

(If you were referring to me), Thanks! Sorry, I might've came off as salty/bitter, which wasn't my truest intention. I'm confused more than anything, but you're right, it's pretty entitled me to think that I'm owed anything -- if anything, applying to medical school has really taught me this one. I hope your interviews have gone well as well! :)

crossing fingers for us all fam.

Accepted via call from Dean T.! Interviewed in November.

Reactions: 2 users
Anyone from December interviews hear anything? Anything at all?

I interviewed in October and still haven't heard anything.

I don't know. Am I the only one who thinks its kinda messed up to leave applicants hanging for months post-interview?

Reactions: 4 users
There is no portal or anything for us to check from, correct?

I don't know. Am I the only one who thinks its kinda messed up to leave applicants hanging for months post-interview?

I feel like UW and WSU does this so they get a sense of all their applicants. If you put yourself in a feb interviewees shoes, it would be bad to have filled up the class before December, leaving little chances. I totally get how frustrating this process is though :((

I feel like UW and WSU does this so they get a sense of all their applicants. If you put yourself in a feb interviewees shoes, it would be bad to have filled up the class before December, leaving little chances. I totally get how frustrating this process is though :((

I understand they want to get a good look at every applicant and thats great on their part. But, at this point, they have to have some idea as to which applicants from early interview dates in Sept./Oct who are not going to make it. They should let those folks know so they can get on with the cycle or start preparing for the next one. I'm just griping because I'm getting restless for any news.

There will be plenty of movement in the coming months. I recommend you try to take your mind off things with whiskey, or perhaps enjoying the outdoors.

Reactions: 5 users
This ^ . Just to give you an idea, of the school on my list never got back to me at all. Others post-interview had me wait like 7 months. It's all part of the game - and no they don't know who is going to make the cut or not right away; which is something you wouldn't want anyway. There is likely some people that are an easy up vote or down vote, but I would hazard a guess that many many people fit into this middle category where it behooves the school to wait until they've interviewed as many people as necessary to get the best possible candidates.

Also just want to point this out (it's a bit late but thats okay it's still worth saying), for anyone who has an interviewed scheduled or gets one moving forward; take advantage of talking to the med students that will be at the lunches and guiding the tours. We have no influence in any decisions, so don't hesitate to be frank, ask any questions you have, and ask things you might not ask faculty/admin. Thats what we are there for. Too many of the people I've toured with or had lunch with, either a) don't ask anything or use us as a resource at all, or b) put on a dog and pony show. First off, hearing directly from the students is massively important to get an idea of what student life is like, if you think the school would fit you, etc. You can really get a sense if that's where you should be. Secondly, again, we have no influence. Rather than wasting time talking about how you voluntoured helping save the babies for a week in some third world country to try to impress us, ask something like "what is an average day like for you in reality"...."where do students spend their time, what places are there to study, do you feel like you get the support from faculty for xxx, or yyy, or zzz?", "what are things about the program that you DON'T like". I promise, we won't bite. And keep in mind, we are giving up valuable hours of our day to be there for you. For example, we have a massive exam on biochem and physiology on Monday and this has been a hellish week of studying; yet there are 5 of us that are giving up 2+ hours of our day to take you on a tour and answer questions, and 12 of us that are having lunch with you. Help us help you.

Last bit of advice - relax a little! If there is something like Dr. Conley is asking questions in the lab tour, have fun with it and participate. In one tour I led earlier in the year we looked at some radiographs and I asked some questions about them. We are just trying to have some fun, and no, we aren't secretly recording you and expecting you to be able to identify the long thoracic nerve.

This ^ . Just to give you an idea, of the school on my list never got back to me at all. Others post-interview had me wait like 7 months. It's all part of the game - and no they don't know who is going to make the cut or not right away; which is something you wouldn't want anyway. There is likely some people that are an easy up vote or down vote, but I would hazard a guess that many many people fit into this middle category where it behooves the school to wait until they've interviewed as many people as necessary to get the best possible candidates.

Also just want to point this out (it's a bit late but thats okay it's still worth saying), for anyone who has an interviewed scheduled or gets one moving forward; take advantage of talking to the med students that will be at the lunches and guiding the tours. We have no influence in any decisions, so don't hesitate to be frank, ask any questions you have, and ask things you might not ask faculty/admin. Thats what we are there for. Too many of the people I've toured with or had lunch with, either a) don't ask anything or use us as a resource at all, or b) put on a dog and pony show. First off, hearing directly from the students is massively important to get an idea of what student life is like, if you think the school would fit you, etc. You can really get a sense if that's where you should be. Secondly, again, we have no influence. Rather than wasting time talking about how you voluntoured helping save the babies for a week in some third world country to try to impress us, ask something like "what is an average day like for you in reality"...."where do students spend their time, what places are there to study, do you feel like you get the support from faculty for xxx, or yyy, or zzz?", "what are things about the program that you DON'T like". I promise, we won't bite. And keep in mind, we are giving up valuable hours of our day to be there for you. For example, we have a massive exam on biochem and physiology on Monday and this has been a hellish week of studying; yet there are 5 of us that are giving up 2+ hours of our day to take you on a tour and answer questions, and 12 of us that are having lunch with you. Help us help you.

Last bit of advice - relax a little! If there is something like Dr. Conley is asking questions in the lab tour, have fun with it and participate. In one tour I led earlier in the year we looked at some radiographs and I asked some questions about them. We are just trying to have some fun, and no, we aren't secretly recording you and expecting you to be able to identify the long thoracic nerve.

This might come off strange. I totally think you were one of my guides. I kept thinking about that when we toured the lab lol. I could be totally crazy though.

Dr. Conley seemed superrrr chill and looks like he makes anatomy fun AND challenging.

I also wanted to give the feedback that my group’s student guides were really helpful and I felt like the tour was way more informative than other schools. I really liked going into the student lounge, seeing how tight knit the students were, where ppl study, food ratings of the cafe in SAC, etc. basically, the little things that matter for med students. This made me really think if I could see myself there for 4yrs.
I wish I could’ve expressed this and other stuff in the post-interview eval, but I didn’t see a free response comments sections. (Maybe I’m just blind too ha)

Appreciate all your advice and time, Marvic1298

Dr. Conley is an absolute rock star, one of the best prof's I've ever had. Doing anatomy the way we do (all in one block up front, with histology and embryology) is ridiculously challenging, but they make it possible. Its no wonder that he won the WWAMI Distinguished Teacher Award for Basic Sciences last year. And could have been! I've done a few of the tours and a bunch of the lunches (although I think all the tours I have given have been when Dr. Conely was out so it was just the med students presenting).

Rejected today. As a WSU alumn I was really hoping for a chance to finish a Coug. I really hope you all get a seat, best of luck!!

Just a reminder - keep your heads up and keep moving forward. With such a tiny class size, these first couple classes simply don’t have enough spots for everyone that deserves to get in. Take a couple days to allow yourself to be bummed, then get back up and figure out your next steps. Took me 2 application cycles to get a single MD acceptance, and I had exactly 0 interviews my first cycle. If you don’t have an acceptance, figure out what you need to do to strengthen your app, and start getting ready for the next cycle, it will be here before you know it.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Reactions: 3 users
A friend talked with some staff at WSU: last interview date is tomorrow (2/16). Emails are going out to those who didn't interview, either tomorrow afternoon or Monday.

Last edited:
A friend talked with some staff at WSU: last interview date is tomorrow (2/16). Emails are going out to those who didn't interview either tomorrow afternoon or Monday.

Cool, thanks! If anyone interviewing tmrw could update us with anything, that would be great!

A friend talked with some staff at WSU: last interview date is tomorrow (2/16). Emails are going out to those who didn't interview either tomorrow afternoon or Monday.

"Emails are going out to those who didn't interview either tomorrow afternoon or Monday."

Can you clarify? Does that mean those that did not get an interview invite will be emailed tomorrow?

"Emails are going out to those who didn't interview either tomorrow afternoon or Monday."

Can you clarify? Does that mean those that did not get an interview invite will be emailed tomorrow?
"...we began making offers in November. Our last interview day is tomorrow. We plan to send out notifications tomorrow afternoon or Monday for those whom we did not interview." - Leila Harrison