2017-2018 Washington State University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just as an FYI, I doubt this next week will bring any news. It's the last week of our term, and there is a bunch of accreditation meetings and such going on - on top of all the normal end of term stuff. I could be completely wrong though so don't hold me to that!

Wait so WSU doesn't have to meet the March 15th deadline for notifying applicants of their status?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Wait so WSU doesn't have to meet the March 15th deadline for notifying applicants of their status?

I think that March 15th is the deadline for the AMCAS-participating schools to have offered a number of acceptances at least equal to the number of seats in the class. They can wait until after March 15th to send out official notifications about rejections and waitlists, and probably also to offer any seats that are open from students who already declined their spots. So we should still see any acceptances that haven't been offered from the original class given out by next Thursday, but all the applicants won't necessarily hear back. correct me if I'm wrong!

Reactions: 3 users
I think that March 15th is the deadline for the AMCAS-participating schools to have offered a number of acceptances at least equal to the number of seats in the class. They can wait until after March 15th to send out official notifications about rejections and waitlists, and probably also to offer any seats that are open from students who already declined their spots. correct me if I'm wrong!

I can second this for the purpose of 3/15. However, based on the fb list, I highly doubt they’ve accepted 60 ppl, so maybe we should be hearing something next wk.

Hold on fam, next week is about to be a whirl wind of emotions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I can second this for the purpose of 3/15. However, based on the fb list, I highly doubt they’ve accepted 60 ppl, so maybe we should be hearing something next wk.

yep, edited too late! next week will still be... exciting. I'm gonna deal with it by taking a research trip to chase birds in the middle of nowhere way out of Internet range, the ONLY way I'll be able to stop myself from hitting refresh on this page every 5 seconds. :dead:

Reactions: 2 users
yep, edited too late! next week will still be... exciting. I'm gonna deal with it by taking a research trip to chase birds in the middle of nowhere way out of Internet range, the ONLY way I'll be able to stop myself from hitting refresh on this page every 5 seconds. :dead:

Can I come with?

I get this and I feel like I’ve read it somewhere on the WSU or AAMC website, but we who interviewed on 1/19/18 (mybluedog you also interviewed on this day yes?) were told everyone would be hearing by March 15th...but then they also inferred that those who interviewed before us would hear by the end of January, and given the recent September acceptance(s) (congrats btw) it’s clear THAT didn’t happen. Not looking forward to more waiting . Waiting is definitely a little easier if we have a date to look forward to though... so if March 15th doesn’t work out, what’s the next date we can look forward to? End of April...?

It says on their website that everyone should receive an admission decision by April 9, 2018. It is listed in the FAQ - Admission Decisions section.

When will I hear a decision regarding my application to the Elson S. Floyd College of Medicine?
No later than April 9, 2018

What if I’m accepted to more than one school?
As of April 1, medical schools are permitted to view the schools to which applicants have been accepted. You may hold more than one seat nationally until April 30.

It says on their website that everyone should receive an admission decision by April 9, 2018. It is listed in the FAQ - Admission Decisions section.

When will I hear a decision regarding my application to the Elson S. Floyd College of Medicine?
No later than April 9, 2018

What if I’m accepted to more than one school?
As of April 1, medical schools are permitted to view the schools to which applicants have been accepted. You may hold more than one seat nationally until April 30.

One has to laugh at the absurdity of the whole process. They have 44 weeks to make a decision, you have 3 weeks.

As noted by others - they will have met this goal (I think they already have after this last round of acceptances but again could be wrong) because they have to. But that is just offers, not matriculations. I would look at the catch rate for last year, I would hazard a guess it would be similar. It was 91 offers total (1.52:1 catch rate). Also, I think for a while our FB page wasn't reflective of how many people were actually taking spots, so that isn't a great gauge to go off of.

Members don't see this ad :)
Declined my seat, hopefully it goes to someone here!

Reactions: 6 users
268mqt.jpg

Just got a call from the Dean; does anyone know when we find out how much money they're offering?

Reactions: 3 users
Accepted! Call this afternoon. Interviewed in October.
Excited but will be withdrawing for UW. See you across the river!

Edit: I’m choosing UW Spokane. Sorry for any confusion

Last edited:
Just got the phone call, literally started crying. I'm so excited. Interviewed October 2018.

Reactions: 5 users
Congratsssss!!!! Yay!
We are going to be classmates :)
Pretty sure I sounded bad during the recorded phone call lol.

Go celebrate now

Just got a call from the Dean; does anyone know when we find out how much money they're offering?

Rich contacts you. I haven’t gotten a call yet, but it sounds like soon.

I also got a call today, and am very excited and grateful!!! When I saw the 509 area code I almost lost it!

Are there any current students (or anyone else who remembers) on here than can remind me what a typical week looks like in terms of scheduled classes, etc. Thanks!!

I also got a call today, and am very excited and grateful!!! When I saw the 509 area code I almost lost it!

Are there any current students (or anyone else who remembers) on here than can remind me what a typical week looks like in terms of scheduled classes, etc. Thanks!!

When did you interview?

Just got the "well, you're not rejected yet!" email (unfortunately my phone still works out here after all). Fingers crossed, thanks to all of you who are withdrawing yr acceptances for other schools early on!

Early January! Although with the acceptances from all over the place I am starting to actually believe that for WSU it doesn't really make a difference.
Werd. However, they may have a preference for applicants they have been looking at for 4 months vs 1 week (provided they are comparable) and they are up against a traffic deadline.

Officially confirmed my acceptance as part of the Class of 2022. Anyone else know for certain that WSU is their school?

Officially confirmed my acceptance as part of the Class of 2022. Anyone else know for certain that WSU is their school?

I’m 80%WSU and 20%UW. Hoping WSU convinces me at second look. I have a feeling they will! I love this school so much, this is kind of a go where your heart tells you to kind of school.

I’m 80%WSU and 20%UW. Hoping WSU convinces me at second look. I have a feeling they will! I love this school so much, this is kind of a go where your heart tells you to kind of school.

Whaaaaaaaaaat? You’re gonna pick WSU over UW? What possible reason could you have

Whaaaaaaaaaat? You’re gonna pick WSU over UW? What possible reason could you have

To me WSU is very forward thinking, tech oriented, and to me this is an opportunity to start things and UW just seem to have some problems lately with supporting their students and that just causes a lot of unwanted drama in the class, according to some staff member and also students. I also learn a lot better in small groups, and WSU has been showing a lot of love and support and all the med students seemed really happy to me on interview day. I know I’m very n=1. I’m very grateful to have received support from both schools, and I just haven’t decided yet which one I want to join. I’m also just grateful I’ll be staying in Washington.

At the end of the day, both schools offer a lot and they offer security in different things, but they both have missions that match what I want in my future, so I know anyone including myself attending both schools will be competent and amazing docs in the future.

So WSU peeps if you’re reading this, I’m super impressed with the school and I hope I’m making the right choice!

Reactions: 5 users
Waitlisted at wsu....good thing I got into my top choice. Still tho, I feel offended. I guess should accept this slice of humble pie...

Waitlisted. I don't feel as though I've done anything huge since my AMCAS submission (mainly just continuing those experiences), so I feel kind of awkward about not sending an update but still really relieved to not be rejected!

Also, I'm currently on the other side of the world and it's 2:45 here but I can't imagine who would be sending this email at 2AM local time. Hopefully they get some sleep lol

+1 waitlisted! Also +1 on the timezone thing, I am used to calculating the time sent as soon as I see an email and I could not imagine why it was going out in the middle of the night. I'm just imagining some exhausted adcom chugging coffee with a single light on in the empty WSU offices... mayyyyyybe this process is a lil rough on them as well. :)

Also to follow up on @mybluedog's comment, I haven't been actually accepted anywhere so am not making the same decision, but I had the same great feeling about WSU and despite the better rankings/prestige/excitement of UW, there was definitely something special about WSU. Part of it was meeting and liking the other applicants - I know this is subjective, but it felt generally lower on ego there than some other schools I interviewed at haha. A lot of it just came down to asking myself what kind of doctor I want to be and which school will do a better job of dragging me out of the ivory-tower research track - I want to be somewhere where the students are CONSTANTLY and personally encouraged to ask what kind of care and what kind of research is needed to serve health professional shortage areas and how we can fill that need. I don't really know how to explain it - maybe because of the small class size? - but the school mission just felt more personal at WSU. I found myself kind of daydreaming during the interview about getting a yes from WSU and a no from UW, so I could go there with zero regrets about missing out on all the long-established UW goodness.

ALTHOUGH, to any adcoms reading this, pleeeeze don't pull me off the UW alternate list!!! Suuuper excited and in love with both schools. To be clear :love:

Anyone know if transcript updates are accepted at all? The waitlist email didn't mention anything about that.

Anyone know if transcript updates are accepted at all? The waitlist email didn't mention anything about that.

As I understand it would not make a difference unless you were suddenly under their cutoffs, because they don't look at grades after the GPA/grades cutoffs (right?).

I was going to update that I was enrolled in class but not specify the grades because I figured it would not matter.

As I understand it would not make a difference unless you were suddenly under their cutoffs, because they don't look at grades after the GPA/grades cutoffs (right?).

I was going to update that I was enrolled in class but not specify the grades because I figured it would not matter.
That's what I was thinking also, but I wasn't 100% positive that our grades were still blinded.... But I think you're right.

Anyone have an estimate of how large the waitlist will be?

I have an offer elsewhere, but it'll be out of state and the COA will be very high.

+1 waitlisted! Also +1 on the timezone thing, I am used to calculating the time sent as soon as I see an email and I could not imagine why it was going out in the middle of the night. I'm just imagining some exhausted adcom chugging coffee with a single light on in the empty WSU offices... mayyyyyybe this process is a lil rough on them as well. :)

Also to follow up on @mybluedog's comment, I haven't been actually accepted anywhere so am not making the same decision, but I had the same great feeling about WSU and despite the better rankings/prestige/excitement of UW, there was definitely something special about WSU. Part of it was meeting and liking the other applicants - I know this is subjective, but it felt generally lower on ego there than some other schools I interviewed at haha. A lot of it just came down to asking myself what kind of doctor I want to be and which school will do a better job of dragging me out of the ivory-tower research track - I want to be somewhere where the students are CONSTANTLY and personally encouraged to ask what kind of care and what kind of research is needed to serve health professional shortage areas and how we can fill that need. I don't really know how to explain it - maybe because of the small class size? - but the school mission just felt more personal at WSU. I found myself kind of daydreaming during the interview about getting a yes from WSU and a no from UW, so I could go there with zero regrets about missing out on all the long-established UW goodness.

ALTHOUGH, to any adcoms reading this, pleeeeze don't pull me off the UW alternate list!!! Suuuper excited and in love with both schools. To be clear :love:
I'm glad I'm not the only one. A lot of people have been unsupportive of my choice, but at the end of the day mental health and what I personally like>>>everything else. However, I am just a little worried about me worrying about myself changing my mind about pursuing PC and possibly the ranking of this school, and its future, etc. I could just be overthinking though.