2017-2018 Western U of Health Sciences College of Osteopathic Medicine of the Pacific Lebanon

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

student2471

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Prompts
1. Have you participated in research? If yes, why was this research experience valuable to you?
2. Do you have teaching experience? If yes, why was this teaching experience valuable to you?
3. While shadowing a physician, what did the experience do to solidify your desire/ambition to become an osteopathic physician?
4. Explain why the opportunity to study and participate in clinical experiences in the Pacific NW appeals to you.
5. What is your specific interest in the osteopathic medicine at COMP Northwest?
6. Describe why you see yourself as a great "fit" for our school.
7. **Optional: Briefly discuss any extenuating circumstances which you feel are pertinent to your application (poor grades, course withdrawals, lapse in your education, etc.)

This thread is for any discussion related to WesternU COMP NW! Good luck to everyone applying!

Members don't see this ad.

I am debating between my acceptances to DMU and COMP-NW. Honestly, COMP-NW seems to lack in resources but I'm still considering it because it's closer to home while DMU is more established. They both offer ultra sound training, research opportunities, and OMM fellowship opportunities. I need to make a decision before the first deposit date.
Here are my pros and cons:

Western COMP-NW
pros - close to home and family, PNW weather, good rotation sites in the PNW, possibility of living at home during 3rd/4th year, close knit class, friendly faculty, walking treadmill desks available, a lot of simulated patient interaction
cons - $56,250 tuition, relatively new school, no anatomy lab tour, Lebanon is a tiny town without much to do, $2000 deposit, no real library, lack of study space on campus, construction projects near campus, streamed lectures from Pomona campus, tutor availability?

DMU
pros - Cheaper $48,410 tuition, established curriculum, mannequin simulation and surgery centers, thriving city with things to do, tutoring center, gym on campus, affordable $500 deposit, huge library, plenty of study spaces, cafeteria on campus, school close to the airport
cons - far from home and family, windy/snowy weather, large class size, questionable rotation sites in the midwest

Any further thoughts from anyone? I'd really appreciate some input from students from either school.

I am debating between my acceptances to DMU and COMP-NW. Honestly, COMP-NW seems...

I got accepted into COMP-NW as well! I'm not too familiar with DMU so I'll only comment on COMP-NW.

Addressing your potential cons:

1. Addressing new school issue: COMP-NW is a newer school, but they seem to have the same reputation built off of WesternU in CA, which has been established for about 40 years. Because COMP-NW basically operates the same in terms of curriculum, etc., they have a really good reputation that falls under the umbrella of WesternU as a whole. Their residency matches, especially back into CA are great. More than a handful of students get into really competitive residencies at UC medical schools, USC, Scripps/Sharp in San Diego, etc.

2. Addressing lectures that aren't in house: In terms of the lectures that are streamed from Pomona, I heard this was about 50/50, not sure how true that is. Meaning, 1/2 of the time we are streaming to them, and 1/2 of the time they are streaming to us. I did find this to be a potential negative, but it seems that many students in med school don't mind it since students prefer having their lectures online to re-listen to or listen to it on their own time. I guess it depends on your study style!

3. Study space: I also think that at COMP-NW, lack of study space is a negative, but I think that with apartments that are really close by to the campus, perhaps students spend most of their time studying with the set-up they have at home. I think that the down-side of not having enough on-campus study space is alleviated by the fact that home can be close to campus if you choose.

4. Lack of resources: I would semi-agree with you here. I don't recall them showing us the anatomy lab either, but I wouldn't think that it's too bad. WU in COMP-NW offers a significant amount of research (especially with their new research track), and because they are a new campus they have state of the art facilities (like the OMM rooms and patient practice rooms, study rooms and lecture halls are new, etc.) I'm sure that because the building is new, their anatomy labs should also be equipped quite nicely. However, I do agree that lack of study space/library, among other neat things that other schools may have (opportunities to use cut-suits, surgery centers, etc.) are lacking.

5. Not much to do: Although this could be a concern, while I interviewed I talked to the students and they seemed very happy and close knit. It seems that with the very little time that they have off, they explore Oregon. Oregon may not have all the main-stream things to do, but Oregon is known for its beautiful nature! Also, for those good ole city experiences, there is Corvallis and Portland, which isn't too far away (I'm not from OR I'm from southern CA lol, just learned all this stuff during the interview).

6. Price: Can't say much here lol, it's expensive

Benefits:

1. Close knit community: During such a tough process like medical school, it's important to be surrounded by others that you can see yourself with. I generally saw that students knew each other, were supportive of each other, and were overall quite happy.

2. Good relationship between students-faculty: I think this is a huge plus. These are our mentors. Students at COMP-NW say they have a great relationship with faculty. And of course when its time to utilize those connections in order to get recommendations, etc., I feel this is invaluable.

3. Research: If you are into research, both COMP-NW and Pomona offer great opportunities for this. They have basic science and clinical research available at COMP-NW. This track has some cool requirements that prepare you for life in research, like being able to work on your own project, setting up journal clubs to discuss relevant/current research, facilitating the research club, being a part of poster presentations and potentially research conferences, and going through research rotations during year 3 and 4. According to a COMP-NW student, this also greatly benefits you when applying to residency since these experiences will be included in the Dean's Letter.

4. Patient care sims: I think in any specialty, this is important. WU seems to do so many that by the time you're done, you'll be yawning at the fact that you have to talk to patients. It'll come to you easy (at least I'd hope so after doing it so many times).

5. Community support of COMP NW/Community service: If I remember correctly, the history of COMP-NW was that the community really wanted this med school built there. As a result, the local community reveres and supports COMP NW. This also opens up many opportunities to be a part of the local community, perhaps be involved in teaching others about common illnesses, or setting up basic clinics, etc. In a way, this may fall in-line with having more patient care interactions, or just having interactions overall with the local community.

6. Reputation: I feel like COMP-NW has a great reputation since it falls under the very established Western University of Health Sciences. I think the best way to back this up is to look at those residency matches. I'm sure a lot of Pomona CA students match into those competitive CA residencies, but I'm sure OR students do as well since the overall match list doesn't show too many students matching in OR, along with the fact that WesternU is simply WesternU. Both campuses have the same curriculum and almost do the same thing.

7. Rotation sites: I agree with you on this one. You get to rotate at some of the top 10 hospitals in OR, pretty neat!

8. Facilities: It's a new building, and while touring, i noticed that the lecture hall, OMM labs, patient sim rooms, study rooms, etc. were really nice.

9. Admin support: From what I've heard, administration does a good job of helping you pick those rotation sites, getting you prepared, doing what they can to help you advance so that you can focus on your studies.

10. Curriculum: WesternU's hybrid PBL/lecture system is unique. I think this is a great plus at WesternU since PBL is a great way to develop critical thinking skills while enabling us to engage with the material. However, I like that instead of having you solely read tons of books on your own, PBL is supplemented with lectures. One thing people bring up is that WU's curriculum may not be Step 1 friendly, but I've read on recent threads that they're changing their curriculum (while still maintaining the hybrid style i believe) and as a result they're seeing increases in board scores. Also, according to their academic calendar, it seems like they give a nice 2 month chunk of time to prepare you for studying, and supplement that time with resources. In any case, even before the changes, I like the PBL/lecture hybrid, and WU still has above average board scores and pass rates, along with that great residency match list.

That's about all I can think of for now. I'm sure DMU may have lots of pros as well, but in any case, I hope this helps!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the feedback @vs_95
Good things to consider for a future interviewee. Just to add since we kinda moved threads, I'm really hoping people start posting here instead of the main with both campuses haha.

I submitted 8/9, complete 9/13 (I had a lot of trouble with them accepting my physician letters, had to have my physician send me letters again twice), and got II first week of November. I'm scheduled January 20th...quite a ways away!

Reactions: 1 user
I interviewed on 10/5 and also got accepted at this school. I am debating between this campus and Pomona, although price of living in Oregon is considerably cheaper than California.

Congrats on all your acceptances! Also, loving the pros/cons list - thank you for taking the time to type all that out!

I'm so glad this thread was started! I submitted my primary late September, secondary complete 10/14, and was processed by EDS 10/25. I'm ready to go! Hoping the II comes soon :)

@PreMedHeart , @thelampking
Added my views on WU's curriculum to the pros/cons list! Not sure why i didnt include this before, but it's there now!

Also, Im also glad I started this thread. I was so confused on the Pomona thread where I wasn't sure which campus students were referring to! Hopefully people start switching to this thread for COMP NW discussion. Perhaps we can be proactive and from time to time, we can post this link on the Pomona thread (without spamming of course)!

Also, congrats to everyone who has received secondaries/IIs/acceptances so far!!

I submitted my secondary 8/6, and needed about an additional 3-ish weeks to submit my DO letter. Interviewed at COMP NW 10/5, accepted 10/19!

Last edited:
I interviewed on 10/5 ... I am debating between this campus and Pomona, ...

Nice, I also interviewed on 10/5!

Pomona vs COMP NW is a tough choice to make! The two schools are very similar. I would consider the following:
1. Resources
2. Size of school/class size (do you thrive better in a larger or smaller setting?)
3. Culture/vibe of students and faculty (relationships among students, and relationship between students/faculty)
4. Location
5. Rotation sites

I think these would be the major differences between Pomona and Lebanon!

First year here! Let me see if I can help address some concerns.

Addressing @Opal16's concerns specifically...
The lack of anatomy lab tour is due to us wanting to respect the donor patients (aka cadavers). I can tell you that if you're in the regular anatomy class (like during the fall) you have six people per table and there is about 15 tables. We have set lab times but usually you have 2 maybe 3 people per group that actually like to dissect. The others just wander around and most people come in to study outside of lab time. The lab itself is solid and really nice.
As far as it being a tiny town, while thats true you definitely have plenty of opportunities to get out and do stuff if you want. We have the standard bars and pizza joints of course, but then corvallis isn't that far away and then you have tons of hikes and such close by. You just have to find people that have done those things before so they can tell you all the best spots to go to :)
Not going to lie, the lack of a library is pretty dumb but we do have access to an online library which is stellar. If you're like me and like books in your hands there is always OSU's library.
Construction projects really aren't an issue at least for me. They completed the nursing school next to us so right now there isn't anything going on.
Now the infamous streamed lectures. Honestly there not as bad as everyone thinks. Plus a lot of my class just stays home and watches the lectures at home anyways. If you're an in class person there are always microphones so you can ask questions mid lecture if you want to.
Tutor availability. There are many ways for you to get tutors if you need to. We also have access to TAs/"success mentors." For example, we are in MCBM which is one of the harder classes first year. There are like six second years who did really well in the class last year that are available at specific times during the week then a handful more who are available by appointment. Same with OMM.
Lack of study spaces could potentially be a concern I suppose, but a lot of my class finds other places to study anyway. Tons of coffee shops around and if you like Corvallis you can go there to study too. I usually study at school and the only time I struggle to find a spot is when the third years are back for didactic week.
Tuition is always a negative. But you'll get that anywhere. We have a really good financial aid guy who is willing to set up meetings with you to discuss scholarships/other ways to help pay for school.
Finally the "relatively new" school part. While the Lebanon campus hasn't been around for a super long time, we are connected to Pomona which has been around forever. We have a really good reputation in the Mid Valley and students are able to go all over for rotations should they choose to do so.

Good luck with deciding guys! If you need anything else or if there are any concerns/questions I'd be happy to answer them. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
I got accepted into COMP-NW as well! I'm not too familiar with DMU so I'll only comment on COMP-NW.

Addressing your potential cons:

1. Addressing new school issue: COMP-NW is a newer school, but they seem to have the same reputation built off of WesternU in CA, which has been established for about 40 years. Because COMP-NW basically operates the same in terms of curriculum, etc., they have a really good reputation that falls under the umbrella of WesternU as a whole. Their residency matches, especially back into CA are great. More than a handful of students get into really competitive residencies at UC medical schools, USC, Scripps/Sharp in San Diego, etc.

2. Addressing lectures that aren't in house: In terms of the lectures that are streamed from Pomona, I heard this was about 50/50, not sure how true that is. Meaning, 1/2 of the time we are streaming to them, and 1/2 of the time they are streaming to us. I did find this to be a potential negative, but it seems that many students in med school don't mind it since students prefer having their lectures online to re-listen to or listen to it on their own time. I guess it depends on your study style!

3. Study space: I also think that at COMP-NW, lack of study space is a negative, but I think that with apartments that are really close by to the campus, perhaps students spend most of their time studying with the set-up they have at home. I think that the down-side of not having enough on-campus study space is alleviated by the fact that home can be close to campus if you choose.

4. Lack of resources: I would semi-agree with you here. I don't recall them showing us the anatomy lab either, but I wouldn't think that it's too bad. WU in COMP-NW offers a significant amount of research (especially with their new research track), and because they are a new campus they have state of the art facilities (like the OMM rooms and patient practice rooms, study rooms and lecture halls are new, etc.) I'm sure that because the building is new, their anatomy labs should also be equipped quite nicely. However, I do agree that lack of study space/library, among other neat things that other schools may have (opportunities to use cut-suits, surgery centers, etc.) are lacking.

5. Not much to do: Although this could be a concern, while I interviewed I talked to the students and they seemed very happy and close knit. It seems that with the very little time that they have off, they explore Oregon. Oregon may not have all the main-stream things to do, but Oregon is known for its beautiful nature! Also, for those good ole city experiences, there is Corvallis and Portland, which isn't too far away (I'm not from OR I'm from southern CA lol, just learned all this stuff during the interview).

6. Price: Can't say much here lol, it's expensive

Benefits:

1. Close knit community: During such a tough process like medical school, it's important to be surrounded by others that you can see yourself with. I generally saw that students knew each other, were supportive of each other, and were overall quite happy.

2. Good relationship between students-faculty: I think this is a huge plus. These are our mentors. Students at COMP-NW say they have a great relationship with faculty. And of course when its time to utilize those connections in order to get recommendations, etc., I feel this is invaluable.

3. Research: If you are into research, both COMP-NW and Pomona offer great opportunities for this. They have basic science and clinical research available at COMP-NW. This track has some cool requirements that prepare you for life in research, like being able to work on your own project, setting up journal clubs to discuss relevant/current research, facilitating the research club, being a part of poster presentations and potentially research conferences, and going through research rotations during year 3 and 4. According to a COMP-NW student, this also greatly benefits you when applying to residency since these experiences will be included in the Dean's Letter.

4. Patient care sims: I think in any specialty, this is important. WU seems to do so many that by the time you're done, you'll be yawning at the fact that you have to talk to patients. It'll come to you easy (at least I'd hope so after doing it so many times).

5. Community support of COMP NW/Community service: If I remember correctly, the history of COMP-NW was that the community really wanted this med school built there. As a result, the local community reveres and supports COMP NW. This also opens up many opportunities to be a part of the local community, perhaps be involved in teaching others about common illnesses, or setting up basic clinics, etc. In a way, this may fall in-line with having more patient care interactions, or just having interactions overall with the local community.

6. Reputation: I feel like COMP-NW has a great reputation since it falls under the very established Western University of Health Sciences. I think the best way to back this up is to look at those residency matches. I'm sure a lot of Pomona CA students match into those competitive CA residencies, but I'm sure OR students do as well since the overall match list doesn't show too many students matching in OR, along with the fact that WesternU is simply WesternU. Both campuses have the same curriculum and almost do the same thing.

7. Rotation sites: I agree with you on this one. You get to rotate at some of the top 10 hospitals in OR, pretty neat!

8. Facilities: It's a new building, and while touring, i noticed that the lecture hall, OMM labs, patient sim rooms, study rooms, etc. were really nice.

9. Admin support: From what I've heard, administration does a good job of helping you pick those rotation sites, getting you prepared, doing what they can to help you advance so that you can focus on your studies.

10. Curriculum: WesternU's hybrid PBL/lecture system is unique. I think this is a great plus at WesternU since PBL is a great way to develop critical thinking skills while enabling us to engage with the material. However, I like that instead of having you solely read tons of books on your own, PBL is supplemented with lectures. One thing people bring up is that WU's curriculum may not be Step 1 friendly, but I've read on recent threads that they're changing their curriculum (while still maintaining the hybrid style i believe) and as a result they're seeing increases in board scores. Also, according to their academic calendar, it seems like they give a nice 2 month chunk of time to prepare you for studying, and supplement that time with resources. In any case, even before the changes, I like the PBL/lecture hybrid, and WU still has above average board scores and pass rates, along with that great residency match list.

That's about all I can think of for now. I'm sure DMU may have lots of pros as well, but in any case, I hope this helps!

Thank you for addressing my concerns. I know that the COMP-NW and WesternU have the same curriculum, but I found it very difficult to distinguish between the two schools online. For example, the school boasts of many things (facilities, technology, academic support) on their "Prospective Students" page which actually refers to the Pomona campus specifically and led me to falsely assume that the Lebanon campus had comparable facilities. I guess it would be nice if the administration made a larger distinction between the two schools given the differing geographic locations.

In regards to cost, I find it disappointing that tuition for both campuses is the same. Basically, people who are attending the Lebanon campus are paying Californian prices for a school with less resources. But I guess that's what you sign up for if you attend a smaller satellite school.

Do they take people off of the alternative list throughout the year or at the end after interview season?

First year here! Let me see if I can help address some concerns.

Addressing @Opal16's concerns specifically...
The lack of anatomy lab tour is due to us wanting to respect the donor patients (aka cadavers). I can tell you that if you're in the regular anatomy class (like during the fall) you have six people per table and there is about 15 tables. We have set lab times but usually you have 2 maybe 3 people per group that actually like to dissect. The others just wander around and most people come in to study outside of lab time. The lab itself is solid and really nice.
As far as it being a tiny town, while thats true you definitely have plenty of opportunities to get out and do stuff if you want. We have the standard bars and pizza joints of course, but then corvallis isn't that far away and then you have tons of hikes and such close by. You just have to find people that have done those things before so they can tell you all the best spots to go to :)
Not going to lie, the lack of a library is pretty dumb but we do have access to an online library which is stellar. If you're like me and like books in your hands there is always OSU's library.
Construction projects really aren't an issue at least for me. They completed the nursing school next to us so right now there isn't anything going on.
Now the infamous streamed lectures. Honestly there not as bad as everyone thinks. Plus a lot of my class just stays home and watches the lectures at home anyways. If you're an in class person there are always microphones so you can ask questions mid lecture if you want to.
Tutor availability. There are many ways for you to get tutors if you need to. We also have access to TAs/"success mentors." For example, we are in MCBM which is one of the harder classes first year. There are like six second years who did really well in the class last year that are available at specific times during the week then a handful more who are available by appointment. Same with OMM.
Lack of study spaces could potentially be a concern I suppose, but a lot of my class finds other places to study anyway. Tons of coffee shops around and if you like Corvallis you can go there to study too. I usually study at school and the only time I struggle to find a spot is when the third years are back for didactic week.
Tuition is always a negative. But you'll get that anywhere. We have a really good financial aid guy who is willing to set up meetings with you to discuss scholarships/other ways to help pay for school.
Finally the "relatively new" school part. While the Lebanon campus hasn't been around for a super long time, we are connected to Pomona which has been around forever. We have a really good reputation in the Mid Valley and students are able to go all over for rotations should they choose to do so.

Good luck with deciding guys! If you need anything else or if there are any concerns/questions I'd be happy to answer them. :)

I know you're a first year, but are you able to speak on the quality of the rotations for 3rd and 4th year, maybe based on what you've heard from others' experiences and such?

Members don't see this ad :)
I know you're a first year, but are you able to speak on the quality of the rotations for 3rd and 4th year, maybe based on what you've heard from others' experiences and such?

Well from what I do know... the second years have several meetings in the fall to kinda discuss amongst themselves where they want to go for third year. There are plenty of options (Portland, Corvallis/Albany, Medford, Bend, Tacoma, etc.) so it really depends on what track you're in. The third years that I have talked to have seemed to like their rotations though. I haven't heard of anyone having any major problems, but obviously this is all second hand so I'm not going to lie and say I know a whole lot about the process. I will say that its nice not having to compete for rotation spots with other schools. One of my good friends was on surgery two rotations ago and she was the only medical student so she got to do a ton.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm glad this is a separate thread now! I'm interviewing in January and really excited about it :)

Thanks for your insights!
Are the lectures also saved so that you don't have to watch them in real time? And do you feel that the lecturers (or some other knowledgeable resource) are generally available via email if you come up with questions and you are not in class in front of a microphone?

I'm glad this is a separate thread now! I'm interviewing in January and really excited about it :)

Thanks for your insights!
Are the lectures also saved so that you don't have to watch them in real time? And do you feel that the lecturers (or some other knowledgeable resource) are generally available via email if you come up with questions and you are not in class in front of a microphone?
Yep! They are usually up within 30 minute to an hour after the lecture is complete. Sometimes sooner (yesterday was up by 15 minutes, though thats an anomaly). And as far as their availability absolutely. I emailed one of our professors Saturday night and she emailed back within an hour. There is also a discussion board that you can post on that the professors will check and answer questions on. If you want more individual attention you can go to office hours if they are in Lebanon or they will set up skype like sessions (called Zoom sessions) so you can ask questions. All in all its not that bad of a system.

Hey @sprinter16 , it really seems like our viewpoints of COMP NW match up pretty well. Glad to know that the knowledge I obtained from visiting and interviewing at COMP NW is accurate!

Are you able to speak more about the volunteering opportunities at COMP-NW? Are students able to volunteer within Oregon and also provide aid to other countries? How do students go about doing this exactly? Thanks so much for your input so far.

Hey @sprinter16 , it really seems like our viewpoints of COMP NW match up pretty well. Glad to know that the knowledge I obtained from visiting and interviewing at COMP NW is accurate!

Are you able to speak more about the volunteering opportunities at COMP-NW? Are students able to volunteer within Oregon and also provide aid to other countries? How do students go about doing this exactly? Thanks so much for your input so far.

There are tons and tons of opportunities to volunteer! All students are required to do a community service project and there’s plenty of options to choose from: soup kitchen, special olympics, school district, hospice, etc. if you’re really in to volunteering like I am then you can just basically help wherever is needed. There is always something to do! As far as other countries I think our global health track does some of that sort of thing. I don’t know a lot about that since I’m not in the track. What I do know is that the school is big on service in general so if you have any desire to help out a certain organization or population there are opportunities to do so

Can anyone shed light onto what the MMIs were like here? This is going to be my only interview so far that incorporates MMI.

Very basic actor situational.

This interview was by far the worst I attended. There literally was not a single thing that compared favorably to other schools. Unprofessional interview. 60k per year for rural Oregon with heavy MA-level faculty and emphasis on OMM? Pfft

Why is that? I've been semi on the fence about attending and waiting to hear back from RVU before buying my plane tickets and all that jazz. Feel free to PM instead if you prefer

Professionalism - 0/10 - Interviewer was nowhere close to professional.
Cirulum - 0/10 - Emphasized Comlex prep, very heavy OMM emphasis, no plan on merger, said they might change it (to what?)
Value - 0/10 - 60k per year is the highest tuition in the country. OK in LA, but in rural Oregon? And with a lot of the classes taught by fellows, MA-level lectures, and other campuses?
Rotations - 2/10 - Scattered all over West coast for 3rd year. 4th year is up to you to arrange.
Facilities - 3/10 - Nice but extremely small campus.
Food - 1/10 - They offered a Jimmy John's sandwich and cookie.
Diversity - 0/10 - Not a single black or Latino person in the building. Seriously?

Culturally they repeatedly called themselves "family style" and offered great emphasis for affiliation over achievement. Not my cup of tea but maybe it's yours

I would not go here if only acceptance

Thanks for the feedback. My main concern with this school is how rural it is...I've always lived in big cities but am open to somewhat rural locations. From what I'm hearing this seems on the more extreme end? (also my partner is planning to move with me also and needs to be able to find a job in his field.)

I will say the cost of the school is fairly D.O. typical...there are definitely cheaper ones but my other two interviews range from 53k-55k in tuition and many seem to be around the 50k margin. The setting up 4th year is the only true thing I dislike about D.O. schools, but again- this does seem to be the case for all D.O. schools, not just this one. I was under the impression they had fairly good rotation sites though. Definitely benefits and cons to consider. Thank you for your feedback!

To be fair, every interview I've attended so far just gave a basic sandwich for lunch.

Reactions: 3 users
I interviewed there too, and I disagree on almost every part of the feedback that the person above stated. Curriculum at this school is identical to the one in Pomona, which is a very well established school. They have strong rotation sites, and their COMLEX step 1 pass rate was 100% last years. School is small, but I personally prefer a small school with a small class over being one in couple hundred of students. Yes, they have no cafeteria, but they have a lounge with fridges and microwaves. At the end of the day, if you are a good student with good habits you will get great education there. I really loved the family feel, and, while the town is very rural, Corvallis (a major college town with lots of entertainment) is only 20 minutes away, Portland is 90 miles away, and if you are into outdoors there is so much to do in the area.

Yeah and every interview I've been to has had at least one black and Latino applicant present. Lebanon had zero. No applicants, no faculty, no student ambassadors

This school is the bottom of the barrel in every respect

I had a Latino faculty member interview me..

Has anyone who interviewed on 11/4 heard back yet?

I have to agree with @Jaxey and disagree with @Tiger Tank. My overall review earlier on in this thread (3rd post) pretty much says it all as to why I completely disagree with Tiger Tank. But to each their own, I guess!

Is there a portal that has your status listed? Every time I check the link sent to me, it only shows the date EDS completed it.

Is there a portal that has your status listed? Every time I check the link sent to me, it only shows the date EDS completed it.

That is the only portal they have. It will change only if you have II or acceptance decision ready.

Accepted! Interviewed on 11/9

II tonight! I am so excited! I find it incredible how community wellness/volunteering-focused this program is and have long idealized settling down in the PNW, so I could not be more stoked. I got rejected from other schools in the area (including PNWU and UWash...nothing from OHSU, but an II there would be a miracle), so I had almost given up hope on studying medicine in that part of the country. Some of the content in this thread has me concerned, but I know I need to see it for myself.

II tonight! I am so excited! I find it incredible how community wellness/volunteering-focused this program is and have long idealized settling down in the PNW, so I could not be more stoked. I got rejected from other schools in the area (including PNWU and UWash...nothing from OHSU, but an II there would be a miracle), so I had almost given up hope on studying medicine in that part of the country. Some of the content in this thread has me concerned, but I know I need to see it for myself.

I currently hold 4 acceptances and will likely be attending COMP-NW. Do not let one person that had a bad experience at the interview impact your decisions. I loved the interview day, and the school. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions about it.

Reactions: 3 users
congrats! when were you complete :)

P
Professionalism - 0/10 - Interviewer was nowhere close to professional.
Cirulum - 0/10 - Emphasized Comlex prep, very heavy OMM emphasis, no plan on merger, said they might change it (to what?)
Value - 0/10 - 60k per year is the highest tuition in the country. OK in LA, but in rural Oregon? And with a lot of the classes taught by fellows, MA-level lectures, and other campuses?
Rotations - 2/10 - Scattered all over West coast for 3rd year. 4th year is up to you to arrange.
Facilities - 3/10 - Nice but extremely small campus.
Food - 1/10 - They offered a Jimmy John's sandwich and cookie.
Diversity - 0/10 - Not a single black or Latino person in the building. Seriously?

Culturally they repeatedly called themselves "family style" and offered great emphasis for affiliation over achievement. Not my cup of tea but maybe it's yours

I would not go here if only acceptance

First year here. Gotta love forums (0/10 curriculum, MA level classes, haha). You’re irrationally negative and already made up your mind, so what follows is probably not for you.
No school’s perfect, DO’s especially. But if you want to become a doc, learn in the NW, and have the extra tool of OMM, it’s a great school.
Drive 15min west and you’re out of rural oregon.
Curriculum is run by Dr Ed Junkins, a badass that earned his MD from Hopkins and ran the curriculum at U of Utah Med for years. Honing your portfolio for specific residencies is done by Dr Guenther, earned her MD from OHSU, and is very knowledgeable about what it takes for a DO to get into different residencies.
Most of us zone out during OMM, but when forced to learn it it’s actually a nice tool.
Look at our class photo for diversity in race.

Reactions: 4 users
Interview January 20th! This will be my first med school interview:nailbiting::happy:

Interview January 20th! This will be my first med school interview:nailbiting::happy:

Good luck to you! I’ll see you there :) I wonder how many students are in each interview group. Anyone have stats like these for the school? (# of apps, # of secondary invites, # of interviews granted, # of acceptances offered)

Good luck to you! I’ll see you there :) I wonder how many students are in each interview group. Anyone have stats like these for the school? (# of apps, # of secondary invites, # of interviews granted, # of acceptances offered)
There were about 30 people in my interview group!

Received an interview here a few days ago. Any airline or hotel recommendations?

Received an interview here a few days ago. Any airline or hotel recommendations?

I am also wondering about lodging and transportation as I know it’s a rural area, and I’m not old enough to rent a car.

I am also wondering about lodging and transportation as I know it’s a rural area, and I’m not old enough to rent a car.

Same. I was looking at hotels and saw that there is one right next to the campus, but it also seems to be the most expensive..

@Munchkinman1 and all others who have interviewed,

How was the interview like? Kind of nervous not going to lie, but excited indeed! The traditional panel/MMI hybrid sems a bit intimidating. Let me know how you all fared, and what you all thought about it :D

Also, if any of you are going tomorrow to the casual pizza dinner social, I will see you there!

Good luck in your preparations, and if you are waiting for an interview, ALL THE BEST!

They have five hotels on their webpage. Phoenix Inn Suites in Albany (15 minutes away) was the cheapest with the campus discount. They should have Uber, hopefully? I know I interviewed in Joplin, MO and they just introduced Lyft and Uber recently, lol, so I don't know about that.

@Munchkinman1 and all others who have interviewed,

How was the interview like? Kind of nervous not going to lie, but excited indeed! The traditional panel/MMI hybrid sems a bit intimidating. Let me know how you all fared, and what you all thought about it :D

Also, if any of you are going tomorrow to the casual pizza dinner social, I will see you there!

Good luck in your preparations, and if you are waiting for an interview, ALL THE BEST!
A good resource for interviews is the U of WA SOM’s interview section “preparing for your interview”. Just search U of WA med interview and you’ll find it. If you can think through and hopefully practice talking through the aspects on there, you’ll be in good shape for both MMI/Panel. MMI is just being a nice person/doc in a variety of situations, so kinda hard to prepare for.