2018-2019 California Northstate University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
Does this school accept letters of interest?

Yes, they do accept letters of interest. But I don't know how effective they are, however it never hurt to send an update.
I recently sent in an LOI and it was added to my file.

Reactions: 1 user
Good luck to those interviewing tomorrow! You may see me there

Good luck to those interviewing tomorrow! You may see me there
just wondering if you know if CNU still is sending out IIs and how many more interview days they have. Thanks.

just wondering if you know if CNU still is sending out IIs and how many more interview days they have. Thanks.
Not sure if they’re still sending out IIs, but I know there’s at least one more interview day in May.

Reactions: 2 users
For those who interviewed today: it was fun meeting you! Hope you enjoyed the school

Members don't see this ad :)
I talked to the AdCom and I can confirm that yes, they are cancelling the May interview date. The reasoning is that compared to last year, there is a higher applicant response rate (applicants choosing to go to CNU after being offered admission) compared to previous years. I would probably attribute this to the recent successful Match more than anything, though they did cite other factors like improved reputation, better information dissemination, etc.

For those "waitlisted" I would encourage you to keep checking your email as waitlist movement hits its peak as we move to the end of April and start of May

I am sorry to those who did not get an II, and I encourage you to apply again next year if you were not successful in matriculating this cycle. I would be happy to talk to anyone over PM for an application review to see if I can point out any areas for improvement.

Has anyone heard back from the March 29th interview group yet???

I got a reply from the AdCom. They hope to have a decision on this group in the next 2-3 weeks. A few of their recent meetings have been aimed at prepping for the last interview group as well as reviewing admission procedures for improvements as part of their internal review process.

I got a reply from the AdCom. They hope to have a decision on this group in the next 2-3 weeks. A few of their recent meetings have been aimed at prepping for the last interview group as well as reviewing admission procedures for improvements as part of their internal review process.

Thank you for the update Zenabi!

I’m having a hard time finding data on USMLE averages by school. I want to see how the most recent results compare to other schools. If you could share it here or DM me, it would be much appreciated. Thank you!

Do you think people will start coming off the waitlist this week?

Just officially withdrew my acceptance, hope it goes to one of you bright, talented, deserving folks

I’m having a hard time finding data on USMLE averages by school. I want to see how the most recent results compare to other schools. If you could share it here or DM me, it would be much appreciated. Thank you!

I believe that the most recent takers, class of 2020 and current M3s, had an average step score of 239 in 2018. A quick google search tells me that the national averages of US/Canadian schools from 2015, 2016, and 2017 were 229, 228, and 229 respectively.

I talked to the AdCom and I can confirm that yes, they are cancelling the May interview date. The reasoning is that compared to last year, there is a higher applicant response rate (applicants choosing to go to CNU after being offered admission) compared to previous years. I would probably attribute this to the recent successful Match more than anything, though they did cite other factors like improved reputation, better information dissemination, etc.
Does this mean that there will be less waitlist movement also?

Does this mean that there will be less waitlist movement also?

I can't say either way. Perhaps, one less interview day means 30 less candidates to consider likely means increased waitlist movement. On the other hand, there are less slots available. And still more, there are people who withdraw their acceptance like we saw just yesterday (maddog's post). It's hard to say how it will affect waitlist movement, but it's always good to have a Plan B, or start it, just in case.

Hello! Has anyone heard anything about waitlist movement recently? Thank you!☺️

Just got accepted off the waitlist!! So excited to go! Interviewed 3/1 and waitlisted 3/20

Reactions: 6 users
interviewed 3/29, accepted this morning!

Reactions: 6 users
Hi Rayvenzex and CaptainMan,
Congratulations! Did they call you or by email?

Is there any way to get connected with incoming students without joining the fb group? (I deleted my fb earlier this year)

Is there any way to get connected with incoming students without joining the fb group? (I deleted my fb earlier this year)

I recommend that you make one, even if it's just for use with CNUCOM.

I myself deactivated my primary FB, and I made another one just for my time at CNU. We use FB pretty heavily for inter-student comms. Classwide announcements are usually delivered both in-class and via the FB group, as attendance for most lectures is optional. We also can use the class FB group to share resources like reviewers, notes and recordings, and FB messenger is a convenient way to message classmate(s) when you don't have their number. In addition, I think all of the student interest groups have their own FB group and we use those to send out event invites and such. For example, our basketball interest group posts weekly polls to see who is interested in playing that week to see if we have enough to run games on Tuesday. One of our affiliate student clinics uses their group to post monthly schedules. It's been pretty useful. I myself don't post much on my actual profile, I just use it for the comms.

Hi guys! Does anyone happen to know the class size for this year? Thank you!!

I was accepted to the CNU MPS+MD (2+4) program yesterday, after being waitlisted for the MD program at CNUCOM earlier this cycle!! I was very impressed with the faculty at CNU, and with how well the CNUCOM medical students are doing on the USMLE Step 1. After numerous application cycles, 9 prior MD interviews, 6 prior MD waitlists, and multiple MCAT exams (2010 MCAT expired), this is truly a dream come true!

To those still in search of that elusive MD acceptance, never ever give up! If you work hard enough, you will eventually make it. I had a low undergrad GPA (3.14 transcript, 3.05 AMCAS), which made the entire process harder, but I kept fighting until the end.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Anyone hear from the waitlist recently? Are they still accepting and starting to reject people now??

Gave up my acceptance here on Friday. Was pumped to go here but I got into my home institution on the other side of the country. Hope my spot goes to one of you!

Just a note for people on the waitlist: they are planning to rescind acceptances of those who have not CTE'd by Friday at 9 AM. This might produce some waitlist movement.

I was accepted to the CNU MPS+MD (2+4) program yesterday, after being waitlisted for the MD program at CNUCOM earlier this cycle!! I was very impressed with the faculty at CNU, and with how well the CNUCOM medical students are doing on the USMLE Step 1. After numerous application cycles, 9 prior MD interviews, 6 prior MD waitlists, and multiple MCAT exams (2010 MCAT expired), this is truly a dream come true!

To those still in search of that elusive MD acceptance, never ever give up! If you work hard enough, you will eventually make it. I had a low undergrad GPA (3.14 transcript, 3.05 AMCAS), which made the entire process harder, but I kept fighting until the end.

Hi!

Do you mind messaging me? I am applying to CNUCOM this cycle and have a few questions about the school!