2018-2019 Central Michigan University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futuredoc0307

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I'm a current student, starting M3 year in a few weeks. Let me know if you have any questions for me!

Reactions: 1 users
I'm a current student, starting M3 year in a few weeks. Let me know if you have any questions for me!
Thanks for dropping by! I’ve seen a few different posts here and there about IS bias. But looking at MSAR, there were quite a few OOS applicants and even some from Texas. Could you speak on the residency makeup of your class?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for dropping by! I’ve seen a few different posts here and there about IS bias. But looking at MSAR, there were quite a few OOS applicants and even some from Texas. Could you speak on the residency makeup of your class?

Good Morning! There are many out of state (and several from Canada) in the class of 2020, I know the class of 2021 also has many people from out of state as well. The school does this to build diversity within the classes so we have the best learning experiences we can. I have classmates from all across the country, several from Texas and California, a few from the east coast, and many from Michigan. The class of 2021 is even more diverse!

EDIT: I am editing my initial response, based on a conversation with the assistant director of admissions. To clarify a previous comment I made (and edited out), CMed does not receive any state funding. There isn't necessarily a bias for in-state students, the approximate 3/4 IS and 1/4 OOS is the way it is right now because of applications as well as many other not simply explained reasons. He did also say that out of state students don't NEED to demonstrate ties to Michigan, it is more important to demonstrate that students are a good fit for CMed and the school's mission. This mission primarily being to serve the under served communities of Michigan. They look for this in clinical and service experiences of the applicants.

However, this mission doesn't mean you can't, or are discouraged from becoming a plastic surgeon or interventional radiologist. Our match lists for the first 2 classes show the diversity of residencies our graduates are able to achieve.

Hope this answers your questions! Let me know if you have any other questions!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Good Morning! There are many out of state (and several from Canada) in the class of 2020, I know the class of 2021 also has many people from out of state as well. The school does this to build diversity within the classes so we have the best learning experiences we can. I have classmates from all across the country, several from Texas and California, a few from the east coast, and many from Michigan. The class of 2021 is even more diverse!

EDIT: I am editing my initial response, based on a conversation with the assistant director of admissions. To clarify a previous comment I made (and edited out), CMed does not receive any state funding. There isn't necessarily a bias for in-state students, the approximate 3/4 IS and 1/4 OOS is the way it is right now because of applications as well as many other not simply explained reasons. He did also say that out of state students don't NEED to demonstrate ties to Michigan, it is more important to demonstrate that students are a good fit for CMed and the school's mission. This mission primarily being to serve the under served communities of Michigan. They look for this in clinical and service experiences of the applicants.

However, this mission doesn't mean you can't, or are discouraged from becoming a plastic surgeon or interventional radiologist. Our match lists for the first 2 classes show the diversity of residencies our graduates are able to achieve.

Hope this answers your questions! Let me know if you have any other questions!
Yes! That is really great to hear. I have literally 0 ties to Michigan, but every time I research the school I fall in love with it even more so it’s great to know that it isn’t completely impossible as an OOS.

Any chance you would also know what the secondary screening criteria is for this year? I saw it was 3.25/50th MCAT a few years ago?

What are your rotations like? As far as location/patient types?

Thanks again for answering questions!!

Yes! That is really great to hear. I have literally 0 ties to Michigan, but every time I research the school I fall in love with it even more so it’s great to know that it isn’t completely impossible as an OOS.

Any chance you would also know what the secondary screening criteria is for this year? I saw it was 3.25/50th MCAT a few years ago?

What are your rotations like? As far as location/patient types?

Thanks again for answering questions!!

I don't know what the screening criteria is, sorry I can't help you with that. I can tell you I was below the 50th percentile for the MCAT, and was accepted. I'm also a highly non-traditional student.

Right now I'm just started my Comprehensive Community Clerkship (CCC), a 6 month program where I am placed in a rural community with a local physician, in addition to specialty, emergency, and surgical experiences in that same community. I absolutely love life right now. I haven't had anything but the time with the local family physician yet (I start pediatric and emergency experiences - probably once a week - this coming week). My preceptor is a family doc, he's been in the community at this local hospital for over 20 years. He's incredibly patient, very skilled with his patients, and seems to love teaching me. He'll take me into his office, draw out diagrams, and take time out of his busy full patient schedule to explain things like how the physiology of congestive heart failure or superficial injury swelling causes edema - and then take me in to see a patient with that exact pathophysiology. The staff here at the local rural community seems to love having me here too, I can't wait to work in the ER and the peds office as well this week.

For rotations, which are usually in Saginaw, a lot of people are still adjusting to the clinical experiences after 2 years of didactic learning. I have heard some stories of rather rough adjustments into those experiences - but I think this is common no matter what school you go to. The transition into clinical training is definitely more gentle for me with the CCC and one on one training from a family physician in a rural community - compared to the city of Saginaw and a larger team of residents and physicians in a much busier lifestyle. I'll be able to speak to this better in January when I'm there as well. I have heard from upperclassmen that the rotations are amazing once you get used to the pace and culture of 3rd year.

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions!

Reactions: 3 users
Secondary

1. The AAMC has developed 15 core competencies for entering medical students. You can see the list here (https://students-residents.aamc.org/applying-medical-school/article/core-competencies/). Which two competencies are your biggest strengths as an applicant? 400 words

2. Please tell us about the most important volunteer experience you have had. What have you learned from this experience about service? 400 words

3. [REAPP ONLY]: If you have applied to any medical school in previous cycles, what have you done since your last application to prepare yourself for a career in medicine? If you have not applied to medical school previously, write “N/A” in the box. 500 words

@futuredoc0307

Secondary

1. The AAMC has developed 15 core competencies for entering medical students. You can see the list here (https://students-residents.aamc.org/applying-medical-school/article/core-competencies/). Which two competencies are your biggest strengths as an applicant? 400 words

2. Please tell us about the most important volunteer experience you have had. What have you learned from this experience about service? 400 words

3. [REAPP ONLY]: If you have applied to any medical school in previous cycles, what have you done since your last application to prepare yourself for a career in medicine? If you have not applied to medical school previously, write “N/A” in the box. 500 words

@futuredoc0307

Is this from this year? Or from last years secondary?

Anybody plan on sending their CASPer results here? I've already taken the exam but I'm not sure if I want to send scores to schools where they aren't required. They say the test isn't factored into the application evaluation but I don't understand why there would even be an option to send scores here if that was truly the case.

Members don't see this ad :)
damn I put this schools down for Casper. Darn

I didn't. They stated that it's completely optional and I don't want something as stupid as CASPer to hurt my chances.

For people who have graduated already, did you answer the "what have you done since graduation" question with just listing your activities? Or did you go into detail like the AMCAS app? I just listed them for the sake of brevity since describing each in detail like I did on my AMCAS app seems redundant.
I just listed mine, seems pointless to repeat what you already have on your primary.

damn I put this schools down for Casper. Darn

It wont hurt you. If anything the CMed adcom's might appreciate your willingness to share so they can better understand the metrics and usefulness of Casper in the application process and decision making.

1CFB335B-ED87-4DD4-8FBE-876109A1CDDE.jpeg
I mean, you can't really say that for sure. If your score is below whatever percentile they deem unacceptable, it can indeed hurt you.

Likely not, if it’s not a requirement for everyone they won’t use it as a mean of judging some applicants and not others. I know the adcom’s... and know they don’t play those types of games.

Don’t stress about it, unless it’s a required part of your application. Even then... don’t stress about it. Do your best, as that’s all you can do.

Last edited:
View attachment 236996

Likely not, if it’s not a requirement for everyone they won’t use it as a mean of judging some applicants and not others. I know the adcom’s... and know they don’t play those types of games.

Don’t stress about it, unless it’s a required part of your application. Even then... don’t stress about it. Do your best, as that’s all you can do.

I really hope so

Submitted and under review! Really stoked about this school. Heres to hoping its not 8 weeks or longer lol.

For the core competencies question, do you guys think it's better to pick what I honestly see as my 2 biggest strengths or should I not focus on one that I know is discussed in my LOEs and give that time to something else that wouldn't otherwise get to be talked about? Also do you think it's bad to pick 2 from the same category?

For the core competencies question, do you guys think it's better to pick what I honestly see as my 2 biggest strengths or should I not focus on one that I know is discussed in my LOEs and give that time to something else that wouldn't otherwise get to be talked about? Also do you think it's bad to pick 2 from the same category?

Usually it’s assumed you don’t know the content of a LOE. I’d suggest being honest, and discuss the ones you see as your biggest weaknesses. You likely have a different perspective than will be seen in the letter. If they are both honest qualities, you see as quite valuable... go with them. Don’t rig your answers to what you think the committee wants to see, because they want to see what you think - rigging it will defeat that purpose.

There’s really no “right” answer here... it’s more of a mindset and communication skills than a right or wrong/bad answer.

I wouldn’t think so. If they’re your strengths and you can articulate them well, go for it. Both of mine were from the same category. I cannot imagine the committee would hold that against us.

Found CMU's application workshop. On their admissions website if anyone is interested/want to calm some nerves. According to mods, the minimum screen for a secondary is 3.25/498.

submitted verified primary today (with CARS = 123) and got secondary minutes afterwards. so no subsection cut offs i guess

secondary submitted 7/17
complete 7/17
under review 7/18

For the question regarding our most important volunteer experience, I'm struggling whether to expand even further upon one that I listed as a most meaningful experience on my primary, or using another one that I DIDN'T list as most meaningful so I'm not discussing the same handful of experiences at length over again... Any thoughts?

something weird happened. My application was under review, and today it went back a step to "application is ready"

something weird happened. My application was under review, and today it went back a step to "application is ready"
Same, I think it may have been originally set to go under review automatically provided everything else was green, because I submitted in the middle of the night and was under review immediately. So perhaps they want to manually review everything is in first. Or it could be because of the typo in the under review status and they’re fixing it. Probably nothing to worry about, 3 people are in the same boat and I bet there are more non SDNers too, but all you need for significance testing in research is an N of 3.

Same, I think it may have been originally set to go under review automatically provided everything else was green, because I submitted in the middle of the night and was under review immediately. So perhaps they want to manually review everything is in first. Or it could be because of the typo in the under review status and they’re fixing it. Probably nothing to worry about, 3 people are in the same boat and I bet there are more non SDNers too, but all you need for significance testing in research is an N of 3.

lol nice analysis. Yeah im not worried or anything. I kinda thought it was too good to be true to be under review in such early time in the cycle. now it feels more right to be tortured for weeks as we wait for the next status

For the question regarding our most important volunteer experience, I'm struggling whether to expand even further upon one that I listed as a most meaningful experience on my primary, or using another one that I DIDN'T list as most meaningful so I'm not discussing the same handful of experiences at length over again... Any thoughts?

I’d say if you have another highly meaningful experience, discuss a different one. It will give them more material to understand you by, and may help your app more than discussion of the same experience. IMHO.

Is anyone else having a hard time submitting their secondary? It keeps saying the page is incomplete, but everything is filled out.

Is anyone else having a hard time submitting their secondary? It keeps saying the page is incomplete, but everything is filled out.
Ahh just figured it out. If anyone else is having this issue you have to hit submit at the bottom of each page in addition to the official submit.

Status changed to under review today. Let the games begin.

I'm an OOS, so do I just leave the first question of the "Biographic Data" section blank? I didn't see an option for "N/A" or anything

Also received my secondary! OOS. Luckily my pre-written diversity essay already indirectly addressed 2 of the core competencies, so I just had to adjust it a little bit lol.

Also received my secondary! OOS. Luckily my pre-written diversity essay already indirectly addressed 2 of the core competencies, so I just had to adjust it a little bit lol.
lol same

my status is updated to:

"Your supplemental application is complete and your materials are currently under review. While we make every effort to provide final decisions as early as possible, it is possible that an applicant could remain without an interview decision until February."

looking from last year's thread, this seems to be the pre-interview status. fingers crossed. this is my top school on my list. I wonder if everyone gets this status including the rejected ones.

my status is updated to:

"Your supplemental application is complete and your materials are currently under review. While we make every effort to provide final decisions as early as possible, it is possible that an applicant could remain without an interview decision until February."

looking from last year's thread, this seems to be the pre-interview status. fingers crossed. this is my top school on my list. I wonder if everyone gets this status including the rejected ones.

I don’t think that’s the case. I think everyone gets this. I think it’s exactly what it says, just to update you on the completeness of your application. I would definitely love to be wrong though. Things did seem to move slow for the folks last year, a lot of people had this status change to the review complete one around this time and II’s didn’t go out for them till September.

I don’t think that’s the case. I think everyone gets this. I think it’s exactly what it says, just to update you on the completeness of your application. I would definitely love to be wrong though. Things did seem to move slow for the folks last year, a lot of people had this status change to the review complete one around this time and II’s didn’t go out for them till September.

oh you are right. I didn't notice that it's different from the other status regarding review completion.

oh you are right. I didn't notice that it's different from the other status regarding review completion.

But in a way, we could look at it as the pre-pre II status, lol. Orientation starts on Monday, if I’m not mistaken, so hopefully that’s when things will really ramp up.

my status is updated to:

Did you get an email or did you have to check the portal?