2018-2019 Central Michigan University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How do you feel being a non-trad in this school? I see that CMU has lots of traditional applicants, and I'm wondering if you feel like you fit in socially with the class? That's one of my concerns :/

Also, do you feel CMU's unranked status hinders applicants when it comes to applying to competitive residencies?

My class had several non-trads, as does the current class. Your social activities will depend on how outgoing you are and how willing you are to hang out with members of the class. The first year I was a little isolated, by my own choice. I didn't go to gatherings, and I didn't study at school. The second year I made an extra effort to go to gatherings and study at school - and made some very dear friends that are a decade younger than me. We're all driven, highly intelligent, and compassionate people - age will only matter if you make it matter. Sure, there is some difference in maturity at times - but not enough to cause social isolation.

The first two years, which is arguably the most stressful, is unranked. You have the opportunity for honors in the clinical years, though the class is still unranked. We've had 100% match with both graduating classes so far, some graduates nabbing quite competitive residencies across the country. So, I'd say there's no issue with residencies. Your competitiveness will largely depend on your own performance, your own experiences, and your own Step scores... not a comparison with others in your class. I firmly believe the noncompetitive nature of CMed is what makes it as collaborative and healthy of an environment as it is.

Could you share when you were complete when you applied and what your timeline looked like? Do you think it would be too late to add CMU next week?

I honestly don't remember all of that, it's over 3 years ago at this point. I applied mid-season (pre-August) but have no idea when the completion status came through. I interviewed and was accepted in December (if I'm remembering right). As for your timeling, it largely depends on your own application. You likely do still have time, but you'll be a little behind the curve as far as application review. If you can afford it, and you like the school - go for it. It's not "too late" until after the applications are closed.

For this question: Please tell us about the most important volunteer experience you have had. What have you learned from this experience about service? 400 words

Do you know if it's okay to write about an experience that we did summer before college and freshman year that was not included in our primary? I didn't include it because I needed space for more recent activities (I'm a non-trad), but it was a pretty meaningful activity to me. Since the prompt says to talk about the most important one I've had, I'm wondering if this would fit...

If you have more to say about the "most important" activity, use that one. If you have a different one which has a large impact and was very important to you - use that one. I think the wording of this question tripped up quite a few people, so you will not be alone in this. I wrote about activities I had during middle school - so I don't think there's a timeline restriction. :)

Hope this helps, best of luck to you!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
How do you feel being a non-trad in this school? I see that CMU has lots of traditional applicants, and I'm wondering if you feel like you fit in socially with the class? That's one of my concerns :/

Also, do you feel CMU's unranked status hinders applicants when it comes to applying to competitive residencies?

Wow, CMED has lots of trads? TBH, I've noticed the exact opposite: I was quite surprised at how many of my classmates weren't traditional, and I think the willingness to accept non-traditional students is one of CMED's biggest strengths.

I am decidedly non-traditional, and I feel like I fit in very well with my class. Most medical students, traditional or not, generally aren't carrying on at Wayside every weekend. You will find a group of people you fit with, and as star.buck mentioned, they may not be who you anticipate them being. (In my case, my best friends in the class are about half and half traditional and not.) It's really about your willingness to go out there and meet people.

As for being unranked, are you referring to pass-fail grading, or national ranking numbers? For my money, the national rankings are worth precisely the value of the paper they're printed on. Our candidates have had no problems matching to date, and as star.buck said, we've sent people to some highly competitive programs. Unless you're gunning for an uber-competitive academic residency, the match game is much more focused on applicant performance and standardized testing results than the putative "ranking" of their school. Focus on developing your skills, your fund of knowledge, and your clinical reasoning process, and the rest will follow.

Could you share when you were complete when you applied and what your timeline looked like? Do you think it would be too late to add CMU next week?

Application submitted mid-August, complete late August, interviewed late January, admitted February. You're not behind the curve at all.

For this question: Please tell us about the most important volunteer experience you have had. What have you learned from this experience about service? 400 words

Do you know if it's okay to write about an experience that we did summer before college and freshman year that was not included in our primary? I didn't include it because I needed space for more recent activities (I'm a non-trad), but it was a pretty meaningful activity to me. Since the prompt says to talk about the most important one I've had, I'm wondering if this would fit...

If it's important to you, I would definitely write about it. Better that than rehashing the same material that's already in your primary.

Considering applying here as OOS but I'm too scared about that tuition

Any IS applicants here who can specify what they wrote for the prompt regarding the affiliation to your home county?

Hi everyone! I'm a current 4th year here. I've been lurking on the thread for a bit, but figured I'd offer myself up for any questions specifically about 3rd and 4th year.

also a quick note for correction on what star.buck said: 3rd and 4th year rotations are graded fail, pass, honors, but you ARE ranked against your class based on how many honors you receive, and this information is a part of your MSPE letter that is sent in your residency application.

Reactions: 3 users
My application has still not been "under review" and I was complete 8/6..is this normal?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone! I'm a current 4th year here. I've been lurking on the thread for a bit, but figured I'd offer myself up for any questions specifically about 3rd and 4th year.

also a quick note for correction on what star.buck said: 3rd and 4th year rotations are graded fail, pass, honors, but you ARE ranked against your class based on how many honors you receive, and this information is a part of your MSPE letter that is sent in your residency application.

Ah, thanks for the clarification Ruby! I didn't realize this!

Does anyone know roughly how long it takes from completing your application to being under review? I'm OOS and submitted on 8/12.

Does anyone know roughly how long it takes from completing your application to being under review? I'm OOS and submitted on 8/12.
It took about ~11 days for mine. There was a glitch initially where I got the under review status immediately after submitting my secondary. Happened to few of us who submitted beginning-mid July. But I got the “real” under review status on 7/23. Also OOS.

My application has still not been "under review" and I was complete 8/6..is this normal?

I was complete on 7/27 and still haven't been placed "under review", maybe because my letters weren't received until 8/16

Current M2 here! Happy to answer any questions you might have.

I submitted same as you... if yours just showing a red exclamation point next to "under review"? does this just mean they are reviewing and haven't made a decision yet?

Did you guys all submit a 3x5 secondary photograph? How did you get this? no CVS, Walmart and Costco near me does this size as they all do standard 2 by 2 sizes for the most part

Did you guys all submit a 3x5 secondary photograph? How did you get this? no CVS, Walmart and Costco near me does this size as they all do standard 2 by 2 sizes for the most part

I just took a "professionally" dressed picture on my phone. It doesn't have to be exactly 3x5, it specifies it just can't be larger than 3x5.

Reactions: 1 users
I just took a "professionally" dressed picture on my phone. It doesn't have to be exactly 3x5, it specifies it just can't be larger than 3x5.

So, would a passport size 2x2 photo suffice? I took a professional one at CVS, but you can't see my dress. It cuts off the photo a tiny bit below my shoulders.

I would say so. If I had to guess, I would say the size limit is just so they can print out your application and have your picture show up properly.

I would say so. If I had to guess, I would say the size limit is just so they can print out your application and have your picture show up properly.

Okay, I will call them and ask real quick too. I didn't know this, I thought 3x5 was a requirement and was waiting to submit until I got that :bang:

This. Any photo will do, it just can’t be bigger than 3x5 or else it’ll get auto-cropped. (Do note that if you use a passport photo or the like, the proportions may come out odd - MacOS/iOS Photos, Microsoft Photos, Photoshop Elements or whatever crop/edit software you use is your friend. Put your photo in 3x5 compliant ratio and it’ll be fine.)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

A lot of things happen on Monday’s... so hang tight and try to be patient (MUCH easier said than done, I know). Hope you all hear back soon!!

are you low-key giving us insider info?

Just got my interview invite here!
Very excited to be moving forward in the process :)

Reactions: 2 users
Thank you!
I was 3.4 / 505, and I am out of state.
I don't know when my primary was submitted to CMU (I submitted AMCAS the day it opened).
Secondary was submitted to CMU on 7/14.
Got the II today, 9/6.
I am a nontrad, and most of my poor grades were upper-level physics courses (I was a physics major), so I think that definitely played a role. I am definitely in the camp of not paying too much attention to comparing stats though, it can become a pretty negative cycle. You either are happy you scored better than someone else or sad you scored lower. So please be careful of how you approach it, my stats are definitely mid to lower tier but I am glad that they saw a lot more in my application that just my scores. I assume they will use the same judgment with everyone!
I look like your outlook. Next time just list your height and weight if they ask for stats. Best of luck to you

I like your outlook

Thank you!
I don't know when my primary was submitted to CMU (I submitted AMCAS the day it opened).
Got the II today, 9/6.
I am a nontrad, and most of my poor grades were upper-level physics courses (I was a physics major), so I think that definitely played a role. I am definitely in the camp of not paying too much attention to comparing stats though, it can become a pretty negative cycle. You either are happy you scored better than someone else or sad you scored lower. So please be careful of how you approach it, my stats are definitely mid to lower tier but I am glad that they saw a lot more in my application that just my scores. I assume they will use the same judgment with everyone!

Beautifully put! And congratulations!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And so it begins. For what it’s worth, I don’t know how helpful stats would be since they don’t use GPA/MCAT for II. Nonetheless, Congrats afcrbn!!!

And so it begins. For what it’s worth, I don’t know how helpful stats would be since they don’t use GPA/MCAT for II. Nonetheless, Congrats afcrbn!!!
Wait, so your gpa/ mcat is not considered for II? They just consider your volunteering/ extra curriculars, research, etc?

Wait, so your gpa/ mcat is not considered for II? They just consider your volunteering/ extra curriculars, research, etc?

Nope it doesn’t look like it. Very cool that they actually embody a mission-driven school.

I posted a screenshot. It’s from the admissions website, under “your path to the College of Medicine” tab. Step #4 in the diagram.

Attachments

• 725C128E-36CC-4DBA-9DD3-B014F58C07F1.png
    725C128E-36CC-4DBA-9DD3-B014F58C07F1.png
    151.4 KB · Views: 197
Nope it doesn’t look like it. Very cool that they actually embody a mission-driven school.

I posted a screenshot. It’s from the admissions website, under “your path to the College of Medicine” tab. Step #4 in the diagram.
Thanks!!!!

Thank you!
Got the II today, 9/6.
Thank you for sharing! I only ask for stats just to see if they II to those that have similar stats to mine. Just gives me an idea :)

Congrats! was it via an email or thru the portal? when were you complete?
Mid July, 7/17. Notified via email and now I have an interview tab on my portal.

My application has been complete since 8/7..still not under review, is this normal?