2022-2023 Michigan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thank you @jayam1947 for sharing this year's questions!

2022-2023 Michigan Secondary Essay Prompts

Essay 1
Comment on how you hope to impact medicine in the future. If examples are needed, feel free to refer to our seven Paths of Excellence. Do not exceed 1500 characters including spaces (about 250 words).

OR, if applying to the Medical Scientist Training Program:
Describe why you are applying to the University of Michigan MSTP. If you are interested in a specific department, program, or area of research for your Ph.D., please provide a brief explanation. We recognize that your interests may change. Do not exceed 1500 characters including spaces (about 250 words).

Essay 2
Please respond to
only one of the following two prompts. Do not exceed 2500 characters including spaces (about 400 words).
  • Describe your identity and how it has impacted the development of your values and attitudes toward individuals different from yourself and how this will impact your interactions with future colleagues and patients.
  • If you recognize and/or represent a voice that is missing, underrepresented, or undervalued in medicine, please describe the missing voice(s) and how increased representation in medicine could impact the medical community.
Essay 3
How was your journey to medical school affected by the COVID pandemic? Please feel free to describe any positive or negative aspects. Do not exceed 2500 characters including spaces (about 400 words).

Essay 4
Outside of medicine, and beyond what we can read in your application, please tell us what you’re curious about, or what you’re passionate about, or what brings you joy – and why. Some examples include listening to historical novels, exploring national parks, woodworking, baking cupcakes, podcasting, knitting, playing pickleball, filmmaking, making music, etc. Do not exceed 1500 characters including spaces (about 250 words). (word count updated based on applicant reports)

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:
University of Michigan Medical School Interview Feedback

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Current student here! Finishing my clinical year right now (M2) and getting ready to start my PhD. Happy to answer any questions you all have regarding Michigan Medicine. Feel free to reach out and best of luck on the upcoming cycle. GO BLUE!

Reactions: 7 users
Incoming student here starting in July. If you have any questions or want an opinion, I’m happy to answer!

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
2022-23 Secondary Application Essay Prompts
We know it’s helpful to have as much time as possible to craft your secondary essays, so we have published our prompts here to allow more time for reflection.

Essay 1
Comment on how you hope to impact medicine in the future. If examples are needed, feel free to refer to our seven Paths of Excellence. Do not exceed 1500 characters including spaces (about 250 words).
Describe why you are applying to the University of Michigan MSTP. If you are interested in a specific department, program, or area of research for your Ph.D., please provide a brief explanation. We recognize that your interests may change. Do not exceed 1500 characters including spaces (about 250 words).

Essay 2
Please respond to only one of the following two prompts. Do not exceed 2500 characters including spaces (about 400 words).
  • Describe your identity and how it has impacted the development of your values and attitudes toward individuals different from yourself and how this will impact your interactions with future colleagues and patients.
  • If you recognize and/or represent a voice that is missing, underrepresented, or undervalued in medicine, please describe the missing voice(s) and how increased representation in medicine could impact the medical community.
Essay 3
How was your journey to medical school affected by the COVID pandemic? Please feel free to describe any positive or negative aspects. Do not exceed 2500 characters including spaces (about 400 words).

Essay 4
Outside of medicine, and beyond what we can read in your application, please tell us what you’re curious about, or what you’re passionate about, or what brings you joy – and why. Some examples include listening to historical novels, exploring national parks, woodworking, baking cupcakes, podcasting, knitting, playing pickleball, filmmaking, making music, etc. Do not exceed 2500 characters including spaces (about 400 words).

Reactions: 4 users
We know it’s helpful to have as much time as possible to craft your secondary essays, so we have published our prompts here to allow more time for reflection.

Essay 1

Essay 2
Please respond to only one of the following two prompts. Do not exceed 2500 characters including spaces (about 400 words).
Essay 3

Essay 4
Outside of medicine, and beyond what we can read in your application, please tell us what you’re curious about, or what you’re passionate about, or what brings you joy – and why. Some examples include listening to historical novels, exploring national parks, woodworking, baking cupcakes, podcasting, knitting, playing pickleball, filmmaking, making music, etc. Do not exceed 2500 characters including spaces (about 400 words).

Thanks a ton for this! Wouldn't it be nice if all schools did this?

Reactions: 2 users

Essay 1

Essay 2
Essay 3

Essay 4
@wysdoc Here are this year's secondary prompts.

Ok, neurotic question time about essay 4. One of one of my biggest interests that I'd assume isn't all that common is literally one of the examples they list in the prompt. Is it going to look terrible or like I copied their prompt if I describe it?

Reactions: 1 user
Has anyone received a secondary application from Michigan yet? Or should we not be expecting them today?

Ok, neurotic question time about essay 4. One of one of my biggest interests that I'd assume isn't all that common is literally one of the examples they list in the prompt. Is it going to look terrible or like I copied their prompt if I describe it?
Nah, you're good. Just be honest and genuine and you'll be fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
Looks like they are requiring CASPER, any idea of how to send this to them? Seems like a new requirement and Michigan isn't one of the schools you can send CASPER to on the CASPER website.

I am also seeing a CASPER requirement on the secondary application...I wonder if they just forgot to remove it? I know that their official website says that CASPER is NOT required for the 22-23 application cycle so maybe it is just a mistake. Hopefully it does not keep the secondary from being processed though...

"PRIMARY APPLICATION RECEIVED -- We have received your primary application. Please complete your Secondary Application using this portal. As soon as possible, schedule your CASPer date if you haven't already done so. Your file will not be complete until your CASPer score, your Secondary Application and payment have been received."

Did you guys see they changed the character count for the last essay? It says "do not exceed 1500 characters (about 250 words)" in the portal. Kinda bummed because I already had my essay typed out. @wysdoc

Also, I did not see anything about CASPer in my email or in the portal.

OOS received 6/25 @7:50 am, no mention of CASPer so maybe the email and application was updated

Did you guys see they changed the character count for the last essay? It says "do not exceed 1500 characters (about 250 words)" in the portal. Kinda bummed because I already had my essay typed out. @wysdoc

Also, I did not see anything about CASPer in my email or in the portal.
Yeah that's weird that they changed it.

Regarding CASPer: you'll see it when you complete your secondary. Go to "Checklist" and the message that @kwantiko posted will appear at the top.

I'm not sure exactly how I will send my CASPer score to them, though. Like @JML_22-23 said, there's no way to add them as a distribution.

If anyone calls the admissions office in the next few days about this, post their response in the thread, I guess.

I'm not sure exactly how I will send my CASPer score to them, though. Like @JML_22-23 said, there's no way to add them as a distribution.

If anyone calls the admissions office in the next few days about this, post their response in the thread, I guess.
Already took CASPer and it said it was received by them on my portal...?

Already took CASPer and it said it was received by them on my portal...?
Yeah, same. I didn't even send it to them lol

Maybe these are just some technical difficulties that they're sorting out. Because they do list on their website that they won't require CASPer, like @JML_22-23 said.

Where on the portal are you all seeing CASPer? I took that stupid test in May and I don't see it on my portal.

for q4, assuming we have to mention something that isn't in our primary w/a section already? which sucks, because i put my 2 most interesting hobbies in my primary app ):

Can any current students speak to how Michigan views re-applicants? This is my top choice but it is my second time applying. Just wanted to know if anyone in the past has had success.

Do y'all think it's okay to write about a hobby that you briefly mentioned in the primary but did not go into depth about at all. Like pretty much just mentioned it?

Do y'all think it's okay to write about a hobby that you briefly mentioned in the primary but did not go into depth about at all. Like pretty much just mentioned it?

I think the consensus is that you don't want to repeat stuff you mentioned in the primary. So, as long as you're going into depth and not rehashing, as you mentioned, I think you'll be good. But I'm also just an applicant, so please take anything I say with a grain of salt haha.

Reactions: 1 users
Is anyone interested in swapping and proof reading secondary essays?

If there are any current students, can you please message me? I’m feeling intimidated by this secondary. Thanks for the support 💛

"Comment on how you hope to impact medicine in the future. If examples are needed, feel free to refer to our Seven Paths of Excellence. Do not exceed 1500 characters including spaces (about 250 words)."

Would it be weird to write about topics that hit 2 different paths of excellence, or would that be too much?

"Comment on how you hope to impact medicine in the future. If examples are needed, feel free to refer to our Seven Paths of Excellence. Do not exceed 1500 characters including spaces (about 250 words)."

Would it be weird to write about topics that hit 2 different paths of excellence, or would that be too much?
Nah, that wouldn't be weird. I could see that being interesting. Go for it.

I did this and used 2 different paths of excellence since they were both big components of my app

I submitted my secondary two days ago and just went back and looked at it. For the essays, the blank line between paragraphs is not there; however, when I input my essays, it showed the blank line. It's not the end of the world, put that really helped denote paragraph changes. Will this be the case with other secondary apps on this "amp" system? How can I tell before I submit? I looked at another app I submitted not hosted on "amp" and the formatting is good. Any suggestions/insight is appreciated!

I submitted my secondary two days ago and just went back and looked at it. For the essays, the blank line between paragraphs is not there; however, when I input my essays, it showed the blank line. It's not the end of the world, put that really helped denote paragraph changes. Will this be the case with other secondary apps on this "amp" system? How can I tell before I submit? I looked at another app I submitted not hosted on "amp" and the formatting is good. Any suggestions/insight is appreciated!
Same thing happened to me. I think some systems will automatically do that, so I'm not sure there's anything you can do about it.

For the experiences/activities section on the secondary -- I did a gap year job in France that lasted ~9 months where I taught at a French high school for 20 hours a week. Can I count that even tho it says leave the field blank if less than one year? It's a very significant part of my application.

For the experiences/activities section on the secondary -- I did a gap year job in France that lasted ~9 months where I taught at a French high school for 20 hours a week. Can I count that even tho it says leave the field blank if less than one year? It's a very significant part of my application.
I wouldn't list it. They'll know it's significant from AMCAS.

I made a mistake and stated I did research for two years when it was actually one, I’m just starting my second year of research and got mixed up. Should I email them about it or just not say anything as long as they don’t ask? I don’t want it to seem like I’m lying to make my stats look better.

I made a mistake and stated I did research for two years when it was actually one, I’m just starting my second year of research and got mixed up. Should I email them about it or just not say anything as long as they don’t ask? I don’t want it to seem like I’m lying to make my stats look better.
I think your fine dude. They know you literally sent them detailed hours and anticipated hours on the primary app. I think this is a way to organize major commitments that’s all.

Two questions about the supplementary equation, how should the following be filled out?

1) Did you work to finance your undergraduate education?
I was on a merit scholarship during uni, but I did work 2-3 jobs to purchase books, groceries, rent, etc.? Would this count if it did not go towards tuition?

2) If applicable, indicate substantive experiences since high school in which you invested a SIGNIFICANT PERSONAL COMMITMENT of 10 hours or more per week. Indicate the total number of years you engaged in the experience. Please leave the field blank if less than one year. (Activity/# years)?

Does this refer to a singular activity, for instance, if I have been doing 10+ hours worth of clinical work (combination of volunteering + paid clinical work), would this count?

Two questions about the supplementary equation, how should the following be filled out?

1) Did you work to finance your undergraduate education?
I was on a merit scholarship during uni, but I did work 2-3 jobs to purchase books, groceries, rent, etc.? Would this count if it did not go towards tuition?

2) If applicable, indicate substantive experiences since high school in which you invested a SIGNIFICANT PERSONAL COMMITMENT of 10 hours or more per week. Indicate the total number of years you engaged in the experience. Please leave the field blank if less than one year. (Activity/# years)?

Does this refer to a singular activity, for instance, if I have been doing 10+ hours worth of clinical work (combination of volunteering + paid clinical work), would this count?
1) You could count that, as it includes books and campus life necessities.
2) "Activity/#years". I assumed it meant a singular activity due to the wording, so that wouldn't count.

1) You could count that, as it includes books and campus life necessities.
2) "Activity/#years". I assumed it meant a singular activity due to the wording, so that wouldn't count.
Thank you! Just one more question on #2, did you interpret it as the activity necessarily starting in high school, or is the activity starting in say, freshman year, fine?

Thank you! Just one more question on #2, did you interpret it as the activity necessarily starting in high school, or is the activity starting in say, freshman year, fine?
I think they mean after high school graduation.

I think they mean after high school, but I wish they clarified by saying something like "post high school graduation".