2018-2019 Cooper Medical School of Rowan University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know the average MCAT for this school?

Members don't see this ad.

Secondary received. Pretty annoying questions, especially since #3 and #4 are basically the same thing with adversity/challenging obstacle

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Secondary received. Pretty annoying questions, especially since #3 and #4 are basically the same thing with adversity/challenging obstacle
+1 on the Secondary Invite. Took its sweet time lol

@Lawper

1. What makes you unique from other applicants to CMSRU, and how will you contribute to the diverse learning environment at CMSRU?

2. Reflect on how you will be able to relate to an underserved urban population.

3. Describe a challenging situation you faced and what you did to address it.

4. Discuss how you identify and respond to adversity or stress.

lol they changed all the questions from last year

Secondary finally received! Good luck everybody! Also they have a "recommended" 2 week deadline for turning it in after you receive it

For the last question it's 1500 words not characters. Is this supposed to be an unrealistically high word limit to let us put whatever we want or are we supposed to write a lot for this question? (Also confused because a previous poster said theirs was 1500 characters)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
How are they the same? One asks you to describe a difficult situation that you conquered and the other asks you how you deal with stress/adversity.

If you find that annoying, wait until the low yield details you will have to memorize.

How are they the same? One asks you to describe a difficult situation that you conquered and the other asks you how you deal with stress/adversity.

If you find that annoying, wait until the low yield details you will have to memorize.

Well, #3 also asks how you address/coped with the difficult situation. A difficult situation in my eyes is a form of stress/adversity. #4 then asks to discuss how you deal with adversity.

To be honest, it's mostly annoying because that means the adversity essay I pre-wrote can only be used for one of them lol

+∞ Secondary received. After almost 90% of my other schools are already complete lol

Essays: RD

1. What makes you unique from other applicants to CMSRU, and how will you contribute to the diverse learning environment at CMSRU? (1000 characters)

2. Reflect on how you will be able to relate to an underserved urban population. (1000 characters)

3. Describe a challenging situation you faced and what you did to address it. (1000 characters)

4. Discuss how you identify and respond to adversity or stress. (1500 characters)
was the last one for everyone 1500 characters or words? Mine is words

Members don't see this ad :)
was the last one for everyone 1500 characters or words? Mine is words
For some odd reason, It's words while the rest is characters. But 1.5k words is like short story length. I think they just clicked a wrong button somewhere.

Anybody else NOT get the secondary today?

For the last question it's 1500 words not characters. Is this supposed to be an unrealistically high word limit to let us put whatever we want or are we supposed to write a lot for this question? (Also confused because a previous poster said theirs was 1500 characters)

I have facing the same confusion here...do they want me to expand more because the word count is so high or is it that way just to not constrict us?

I have facing the same confusion here...do they want me to expand more because the word count is so high or is it that way just to not constrict us?
As with anything in life, be precise. Nobody wants nor has time to read a manifesto. If it is meaningful and well-written, possibly...However, precision is valued. If you are fortunate enough to get in somewhere and you present in front of an attending, he/she will not want to be standing there for 45 min listening to you jabber in order to fill time/space. Say what you have to say and move on (whether it is 250 words or 1500). Don’t put too much thought into a word count or what you think they want.

If you have any questions, feel free to pm me. Don’t be too neurotic or stressed. You should be enjoying this process.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Hi! Secondary recieved today (OOS, verified 7/10)

If I also applied to Rowan osteopathic program, are they going to know at the MD program? Like will it look badly upon me that I applied to both programs?

Hi! Secondary recieved today (OOS, verified 7/10)

If I also applied to Rowan osteopathic program, are they going to know at the MD program? Like will it look badly upon me that I applied to both programs?
No, completely different schools and application programs.

Lmao that is insane. This secondary went 0 to 100 real quick. I just finished the 1500 character count and saw this and was like -_-

Really hoping it was a mistake...i didnt see it and submitted :(

I wrote an email to CMSRU today to see if it was a mistake and what expectations are of that last question. Hopefully they get back to me soon. I'll let you all know what they said!

Reactions: 5 users
Anyone else still waiting on secondary?
Secondary apps are sent in batches. Some will get them soon, some will get them later, others will never get one. Sit tight and best of luck.

+1 for me. I received it on Thursday but forgot to put it!

Anybody hear back about the 1500 character vs. word limit? I initially wrote my response for 1500 characters but was wondering what others are doing? 1500 words is a bit much.

I think I settled on assuming it was 1,500 words. My essay ended up being around 500-700, I forget exactly what it was.

same here but I emailed CMSRU Friday afternoon. I didn't hear anything over the weekend but I'll follow up with them today. Hopefully I'll hear from them to be sure

Anybody have a clue on how they want us to answer: Reflect on how you will be able to relate to an underserved urban population.

From what I hear the "how do you respond to stress/adversity" prompt is a common interview/secondary topic for most schools. Given that Cooper is very service-oriented, it wouldn't make much sense for them to ask for a VERY long response to the stress prompt compared to the others.

I basically wrote my prompt assuming that it was a 1500 character limit. 1500 words is BEYOND what AMCAS even allows you for your personal statement, so take what you will from it. I don't see any utility in providing an extensive and dragged out explanation about something you could likely explain in 1500 characters.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. This is my last secondary and I have answered the question many times, but not nearly to the extent of a 3 page essay. I'll probably include what I need to but no more, they probably don't want to read that much anyways.

Anybody have a clue on how they want us to answer: Reflect on how you will be able to relate to an underserved urban population.

I talked about my service and involvement in underserved areas.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. This is my last secondary and I have answered the question many times, but not nearly to the extent of a 3 page essay. I'll probably include what I need to but no more, they probably don't want to read that much anyways.

I talked about my service and involvement in undeserved areas.
Thanks Gopher, but what if you dont have recent experience volunteering with undeserved areas?

So it says 1500 characters, but won't let me type past 1000 characters? What are you guys going to do?

So it says 1500 characters, but won't let me type past 1000 characters? What are you guys going to do?
+1 I just tried to shorten to 1000 characters for those questions. Seems like they're having some technical issues.

Did anyone else get that weird secondary fake/accidental invite email today?

I spoke with admissions today. 1500 characters was meant to be the last essay and the first 3 were meant to be 1000. I wrote the first 3 around 1000 characters and the last one at 1500. They did say that if you submitted prior to them fixing the secondary character limited you wouldn't be penalized. I didn't get the email ^ got.

Still haven’t gotten a secondary and I submitted 2nd week of June :( do they really screen so harshly for secondaries?

I haven’t received any secondary and I was verified early June. I’ve submitted most other secondaries and they’re marked complete. Anyone know what the case is here?
Still waiting too. Might be screened out.

Submitted my secondary but my app says incomplete because of letters. Did they just not download them yet from AMCAS or should I contact admissions?

Is everyone writing close to 1500 words for the last prompt about stress?

Submitted my secondary but my app says incomplete because of letters. Did they just not download them yet from AMCAS or should I contact admissions?
I'm in the same boat, and I submitted on 7/27. Called them but didn't leave a voicemail.. might email them if its not marked as complete by tomorrow

I'm in the same boat, and I submitted on 7/27. Called them but didn't leave a voicemail.. might email them if its not marked as complete by tomorrow

I wouldn't sweat it. 7/27 was only last Friday.

Trueee. losing track of time, seems like that was forever ago lol

Trust me I'm with you. I want it all to be perfect too but we gotta stay patient and not pull out our hair. I'm a nontrad. Alotta my hair is already gone lol

I spoke with admissions today. 1500 characters was meant to be the last essay and the first 3 were meant to be 1000. I wrote the first 3 around 1000 characters and the last one at 1500. They did say that if you submitted prior to them fixing the secondary character limited you wouldn't be penalized. I didn't get the email ^ got.
Did they mention when they were planning on fixing this? Should I just write 1000 character essays?

Did they mention when they were planning on fixing this? Should I just write 1000 character essays?

I would tell you to do whatever you feel comfortable doing. . When I spoke to them they hadn't corrected anything yet.

OOS. Submitted primary nearly a month ago. Have not gotten secondary yet. Does it normally take this long?