2018-2019 Florida Atlantic University (Schmidt)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lawpy

42% Full Member
7+ Year Member
SDN Ambassador
Reaction score
The college's mission is to advance the health and well-being of our community by training future generations of humanistic clinicians and scientists and translating discovery to patient-centered care. Therefore, as a community-based medical school, community service is important to the College. What community service activity was your most meaningful and do you currently continue to give your time to the activity?
Character limit 1600 (including spaces)

Our College believes in working collaboratively. Thus being able to work in a team is vital to the success of an FAU Medical Student, yet being able to lead is equally important. Give an example of when you were part of a team and had a leadership role. How did you influence your team members to carry out their tasks within the group? How did you perform in your role within the team? What did you learn from having to lead a team? Did any problems arise? How did you overcome them? What did you learn about being a part of a team, while also holding a leadership position?

The FAU College of Medicine Admissions Committee is interested in learning more about you as a person. Please describe a noteworthy personal challenge you have faced, one which you feel has helped to shape you as a person. Examples may include a moral and/or ethical dilemma, a situation of personal adversity, or a hurdle in your life that you worked hard to overcome. Please include how you got through the experience and what you learned about yourself as a result.

Diversity is an array of things. What unique qualities and/or traits will you bring to our College? What distinctive attributes would you bring to the practice of medicine? What values, skills, talents, and life experiences – and how you would add to the cultural, ethnic, and socioeconomic diversity of the Charles E. Schmidt College of Medicine?

Have you held any type of paid employment? If so, please tell us about your most meaningful employment experience. What traits do you feel you learned while with that employer? (If you have not held paid employment, please write none)

Good luck to everyone applying!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone get a seocndary yet?

Reactions: 1 user
just got the initial email that they have received my app, but will be sending secondaries in mid-late july

Members don't see this ad :)
No secondary, they're still running late I think.

Reactions: 1 users
If you look at the MSAR it says they don't start application review until July 16. So maybe that means they won't send them out until then either

The college's mission is to advance the health and well-being of our community by training future generations of humanistic clinicians and scientists and translating discovery to patient-centered care. Therefore, as a community-based medical school, community service is important to the College. What community service activity was your most meaningful and do you currently continue to give your time to the activity?

Our College believes in working collaboratively. Thus being able to work in a team is vital to the success of an FAU Medical Student, yet being able to lead is equally important. Give an example of when you were part of a team and had a leadership role. How did you influence your team members to carry out their tasks within the group? How did you perform in your role within the team? What did you learn from having to lead a team? Did any problems arise? How did you overcome them? What did you learn about being a part of a team, while also holding a leadership position?

The FAU College of Medicine Admissions Committee is interested in learning more about you as a person. Please describe a noteworthy personal challenge you have faced, one which you feel has helped to shape you as a person. Examples may include a moral and/or ethical dilemma, a situation of personal adversity, or a hurdle in your life that you worked hard to overcome. Please include how you got through the experience and what you learned about yourself as a result.

Diversity is an array of things. What unique qualities and/or traits will you bring to our College? What distinctive attributes would you bring to the practice of medicine? What values, skills, talents, and life experiences – and how you would add to the cultural, ethnic, and socioeconomic diversity of the Charles E. Schmidt College of Medicine?

Have you held any type of paid employment? If so, please tell us about your most meaningful employment experience. What traits do you feel you learned while with that employer? (If you have not held paid employment, please write none)

@Lawper @Lucca

Members don't see this ad :)
LOL that's funny because I was waitlisted here and suddenly around 5 PM I was no longer able to access my portal anymore to see my "alternate list" status. Well, that sucks. Hopefully applying in July versus December will make a much bigger difference. Currently waiting for my primary to get verified.

There are also two other questions before reaching the essays!

- Whether or not you will be a full-time student, please provide details of your activities/employment for the application year.
- Tell us why you would like to be admitted to the Charles E. Schmidt College of Medicine at FAU.

Wow they have a really small class.
Only 62 people total.

Thoughts on using the same activity for two different prompts but discussed in entirely different contexts?

Did anyone else manage to submit this without inputting the prereqs you took? I swear I never saw the screen but on my submitted app it says "none" for each of the prereqs. Im gonna email the admissions office about it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using SDN mobile

Some of the secondary questions (i.e. most meaningful volunteer experience, work experience) I already wrote about in my primary application, and covered pretty in depth, at least for the volunteering. Should I say that I spoke about it in my primary or just kinda rewrite it for the secondary?

Some of the secondary questions (i.e. most meaningful volunteer experience, work experience) I already wrote about in my primary application, and covered pretty in depth, at least for the volunteering. Should I say that I spoke about it in my primary or just kinda rewrite it for the secondary?
I copied/pasted and added a couple of sentences to fill the 1600 chars

Same! I really hate having to copy/paste but this volunteer question leaves me no choice

Are you only “complete” 3 weeks after taking CASPer when the scores are received? Or can your app be reviewed at FAU after you took it but before scores are back?

Are you only “complete” 3 weeks after taking CASPer when the scores are received? Or can your app be reviewed at FAU after you took it but before scores are back?

In order to be reviewed, the college has to have received your Casper scores. So yes, 3 weeks after you take the casper

Did anyone else manage to submit this without inputting the prereqs you took? I swear I never saw the screen but on my submitted app it says "none" for each of the prereqs. Im gonna email the admissions office about it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using SDN mobile

If anyone has this problem in the future, I was able to get the secondary unlocked by emailing the admissions office.

Where is everyone find info about the school to answer the "What is your interest in FAU" question? Their website doesn't have a lot of information and from what I could find their only student organizations are interest groups, so I'm struggling to find enough to write about

Where is everyone find info about the school to answer the "What is your interest in FAU" question? Their website doesn't have a lot of information and from what I could find their only student organizations are interest groups, so I'm struggling to find enough to write about
MSAR

Does everyone else just have that CASPer reminder after submitting? Where can we check our status?

Does everyone else just have that CASPer reminder after submitting? Where can we check our status?
I think it’s for everyone. On the bottom of the page in bold it says if you’ve already taken CASPer to disregard the reminder.

I think it’s for everyone. On the bottom of the page in bold it says if you’ve already taken CASPer to disregard the reminder.
Ok as long as everyone has that... I guess the page will update if there's a status update? I wonder if it means were under review

Ok as long as everyone has that... I guess the page will update if there's a status update? I wonder if it means were under review

Yeah, my CASPer is in along with everything else, and it still has the CASPer notice for me along with "secondary application complete" as my status.

Reactions: 1 users
Status updated today: Preliminary Review Assigned. Still waiting for CASPer arrival.

Edit since I misread this but did you get an email about this and what was your status before this?

Did not get an email and before this, my status was Secondary App Complete.

Not sure when my status changed but it says that my preliminary review was completed