2018-2019 Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences (Kansas City)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So they had a presentation about curriculum changes. I'm not quite sure what to think about them for you guys. First semester is now 3 blocks. They did make some positive changes for sure.

How many blocks were there originally? What kind of positive changes do you think they made for the incoming students? Also, where can we find this information? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
How many blocks were there originally? What kind of positive changes do you think they made for the incoming students? Also, where can we find this information? Thanks!
Blocks were originally MCM (biochem), then MSK, then HDM (immuno), then cardiopulm, then renal in fall semester followed by GI, endo/repro, neuro, and MOD in the spring semester. They're combining MCM and HDM for you guys, then there's MSK, and then you have neuroendocrine for like 8 weeks after that (don't even understand how neuro and endocrine go together...). Then in the spring you have cardipulm combined with renal, GI/GU, and then MOD-- I'm not looking at the schedule in front of me, but I'm pretty sure this is the order.

They have also added a fall break, given us a 4 day weekend for Labor Day, added more independent study days to make breaks longer (so Thanksgiving break will start on Tuesday this year).

They are combining some things in second year for us as well, but it seems more weird in first year to me for some reason.

Positive changes are less frequent exams, more free weekends, consistent scheduling (so OS lab will be on the same day every week, rather than randomly scheduled like it is for us now..makes it really hard to plan any outside activities or hobbies). Unfortunately, only time will tell how this turns out. I am personally pleased with how this looks for us, as I like the predictability it will provide in my day-to-day schedule.

Reactions: 6 users
Blocks were originally MCM (biochem), then MSK, then HDM (immuno), then cardiopulm, then renal in fall semester followed by GI, endo/repro, neuro, and MOD in the spring semester. They're combining MCM and HDM for you guys, then there's MSK, and then you have neuroendocrine for like 8 weeks after that (don't even understand how neuro and endocrine go together...). Then in the spring you have cardipulm combined with renal, GI/GU, and then MOD-- I'm not looking at the schedule in front of me, but I'm pretty sure this is the order.

They have also added a fall break, given us a 4 day weekend for Labor Day, added more independent study days to make breaks longer (so Thanksgiving break will start on Tuesday this year).

They are combining some things in second year for us as well, but it seems more weird in first year to me for some reason.

Positive changes are less frequent exams, more free weekends, consistent scheduling (so OS lab will be on the same day every week, rather than randomly scheduled like it is for us now..makes it really hard to plan any outside activities or hobbies). Unfortunately, only time will tell how this turns out. I am personally pleased with how this looks for us, as I like the predictability it will provide in my day-to-day schedule.
I think this could be better. Less testing, so you feel like you are learning for the future, and not because the exam is Friday. The schedule consistency will be nice for sure. Right now, I feel like finding time to make appointments and such is hard, but the proposed schedule gives more predictability so you can. I do like the longer breaks, so it feels more worth it to drive home to see family. It was rough on Thanksgiving, having a Wednesday exam, then trying to drive 7 hours home (because flying takes longer surprisingly). Longer break means the drive/travel time is worth it. And longer time to recoup and get ready for the next block and actually feel ready for it.

Also I think Endo is linked with Neuro fairly well, and GI/GU makes way more sense. (I didn’t like our neuro block, but I think endo fits with it well.)

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Wow. Those are some great quality of life changes. That is a very big difference in the "1st year experience" compared to current classes.

Reactions: 3 users

Overall, I think that schedule is much better. Not having midterms the week after the start of the block is going to be huge. My only gripe is having neuro right after MSK as those are the two hardest classes of first year, IMO. Neuro was already bad enough but classes like cardiopulm, GI and repro built up my study stamina for the long days associated with neuro.

Overall, I think that schedule is much better. Not having midterms the week after the start of the block is going to be huge. My only gripe is having neuro right after MSK as those are the two hardest classes of first year, IMO. Neuro was already bad enough but classes like cardiopulm, GI and repro built up my study stamina for the long days associated with neuro.
Eh. I think getting it over with in the beginning of the year may be better. I think a lot of us were just so burnt out by the time neuro came around that we lost all motivation and just couldn't push through.

I'm super excited for our schedule, though. I'm so ready to be able to have a better quality of life now that I know I only have to be on campus certain days.

Reactions: 2 users
Is there a class schedule out for the 2019-2020 year, or will that be provided during orientation?
You can expect it during orientation. As part of iPad set up, they will walk through how to add the school calendar to your devices and that contains the most up to date schedule.

Are there any good places to live with a family? I have three kids so I would like it if it was in a good school district. Should’ve mentioned I am going to Joplin
It's going to be about 12-15 minutes from campus, but the Carl Junction school district is phenomenal. So is the Webb City school district, but their academics aren't as strong and the property/rental values are much higher there.

Reactions: 1 user
For those of you have used the upload option for sentry, how long was it until you got a confirmation via email? Just a little uneasy that all I got was “success!” lol.

For those of you have used the upload option for sentry, how long was it until you got a confirmation via email? Just a little uneasy that all I got was “success!” lol.
I uploaded multiple times, but got the email either later same day or next day

Is there a class schedule out for the 2019-2020 year, or will that be provided during orientation?
There is a template out now. But as for class by class you'll see at orientation

Members don't see this ad :)
Where would I find this template?
Please keep in mind that nothing is permanent when it comes to exam days, days off, and start/stop times for breaks; this is only a template for now.

Attachments

• OMSI COM2023 GBS.pdf
    85.4 KB · Views: 165
Reactions: 5 users
Little delayed but ya boi got admitted to the KC campus! Interviewed at Joplin end of January. Kinda surprised, also kinda nervous because I have no idea what the campus is like lol
Ahhh! Are you going to go to KCU?? It would be so dope to go to school with a celebrity!

Last edited:
Very important question: what are people from Kansas City called? lol

Has anyone received info about financial aid yet?

OMS-1 posting in here again so that I can receive notifications and hopefully contribute a few nuggets of wisdom before you start in a few months. I'm available for any questions you might have!

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Could any M3/M4's enlighten us know the elective rotations at KCUMB? I am hearing that they are not necessarily the best. What have your experiences been like? As a Canadian I would like to do some electives (about 8 weeks) in Canada, would KCU be open to that as I know other schools are?

Please keep in mind that nothing is permanent when it comes to exam days, days off, and start/stop times for breaks; this is only a template for now.
What's a practical exam? I hear awful things about it lol. Do you pretend like you are a neurologist or urologist and give clinical diagnosis or something to a standardized patient? or is this like an anatomy class where you name things on a cadaver

What's a practical exam? I hear awful things about it lol. Do you pretend like you are a neurologist or urologist and give clinical diagnosis or something to a standardized patient? or is this like an anatomy class where you name things on a cadaver
There are practicals for anatomy lab, like you can imagine. Then there are OS and PCM which is just a way to demonstrate your skills that you have learned. It's not really that scary. It is just how they can grade your knowledge of clinical tests and such

Generally anatomy. They changed ours halfway through the year. But. Rumor says they are going back to the old way

Could any M3/M4's enlighten us know the elective rotations at KCUMB? I am hearing that they are not necessarily the best. What have your experiences been like? As a Canadian I would like to do some electives (about 8 weeks) in Canada, would KCU be open to that as I know other schools are?
It completely depends on what site you go to. KCU has a lot of different cities/states that you can go to, but that is very far away for you and it's all subject to change.

The two responses below your question basically sum it up! We had a really rough spring semester with our anatomy practicals because they changed them, but hopefully they change it back for you guys. PCM and OS practicals are relatively low stress.

Just to piggy-back on what my classmates said above, in general, practical days (whether that practical is anatomy, OS, or PCM) will either be the most or least stressful times of the semester for you. Personally, the times I've felt most nervous/stressed since starting were right before OS competencies (practicals) and right before anatomy practicals in general. With regards to OS-- If I just studied OS for 10 minutes daily, they wouldn't be nearly as stressful, but I never have the willpower to do so. Neither will the majority of your classmates lol. Nerves before anatomy practicals were pretty much unavoidable.

Just to piggy-back on what my classmates said above, in general, practical days (whether that practical is anatomy, OS, or PCM) will either be the most or least stressful times of the semester for you. Personally, the times I've felt most nervous/stressed since starting were right before OS competencies (practicals) and right before anatomy practicals in general. With regards to OS-- If I just studied OS for 10 minutes daily, they wouldn't be nearly as stressful, but I never have the willpower to do so. Neither will the majority of your classmates lol. Nerves before anatomy practicals were pretty much unavoidable.

For OS, if you are just willing to practice on your friends when they have something going on or even are willing to ask to have someone work on you it tends to make memorizing things a lot easier. Remembering the feel of something in your hands is much easier than memorizing steps on a page.

Reactions: 2 users
For the current student, when is a good time to go an sign a lease on an apartment? I'm coming form Florida and was thinking of flying out in mid/late June to find a place, so I can move out there in early July.

For the current student, when is a good time to go an sign a lease on an apartment? I'm coming form Florida and was thinking of flying out in mid/late June to find a place, so I can move out there in early July.
Sooner is better than later. The first accepted student day has passed already, so a lot of housing options are already gone. A realtor told me that by mid-May, your options will be very limited. I'm going to suggest going as soon as possible, because even choosing an apartment/house can take a few weeks, not to mention the application and lease signing process. Late June sounds really late to start that process, considering orientation starts mid July. For reference, I'm moving in the first of July to give myself and my family 2 weeks to get unpacked, settled in, and familiar with the area before the fun starts.

- If I just studied OS for 10 minutes daily, they wouldn't be nearly as stressful, but I never have the willpower to do so
Eh. For the first OS practical of the year I studied for like 3 days. For this last one we just had I studied the day before and the morning of lol.

I'm from Florida! I toured apartments during Accepted Students Day in April but I signed my lease early June so that I could move in early July.

I signed a lease at the end of April but actually moved furniture in June. But I did have other reasons to come out and I brought stuff each time.

Eh. For the first OS practical of the year I studied for like 3 days. For this last one we just had I studied the day before and the morning of lol.
Haha back when we had the time to put in 3 days worth. Those were the days!

Ahhh! Are you going to go to KCU?? It would be so dope to go to school with a celebrity!

Looks like it and super excited!

For current students, I see a lot of people are selling their textbooks on the Facebook page and I am wondering if it's worth it to buy them? I heard there is a certain link that may or may not have some textbooks, can anyone comment on this? If I can get them as PDFs for free I'd much rather do that. I'm already dreading spending $600 on the med kit lol

For current students, I see a lot of people are selling their textbooks on the Facebook page and I am wondering if it's worth it to buy them? I heard there is a certain link that may or may not have some textbooks, can anyone comment on this? If I can get them as PDFs for free I'd much rather do that. I'm already dreading spending $600 on the med kit lol
So you'll probably see more sell books closer to the start of school but it is all personal preference. I prefer print books but I only got the few I got the most use out of. If I needed a quick reference, I used the links provided from the school or the books in the library.

Also you can buy pieces of your med kit online separately. Though ordering from the school is convenient, there are some good options on Amazon. And I believe @DrRedstone has a link floating in this thread....

Nope. I haven't opened a single hard copy of a book until I bought Pathoma for this year and it came with my video subscription.

Nope. I haven't opened a single hard copy of a book until I bought Pathoma for this year and it came with my video subscription.

Awesome thanks! I think I’ll just hold off then for now. Would you say you used the main resources like Pathoma, BnB, Sketchy, First Aid, etc. quite a bit? Or was it mainly school texts?

No need for pathoma or sketchy in first year here. A fair number of questions come straight from lecture slides

Awesome thanks! I think I’ll just hold off then for now. Would you say you used the main resources like Pathoma, BnB, Sketchy, First Aid, etc. quite a bit? Or was it mainly school texts?
I used part of first aid in the sense that as we went through, I annotate it. So come boards time, I have notes from class in there already. I only just got Sketchy and Pathoma because those are more for year 2 material.

You won't need Pathoma or Sketchy till MOD. I used First Aid occasionally when I wanted clarification on something or helpful mnemonics, but just the anatomy/phys sections. Occasionally I read BRS phys if I needed clarification too. Only resource I've used throughout M1 has been Zanki. Otherwise, as said above, questions come directly from the slides first year.

Only outside resource consistently used were practice questions, which I very highly recommend. Everything will be given to you, though, so don't worry about buying anything.

BnB + zanki for first year. you do not need pathoma until end of first year, do not buy it until then. Same for sketchy.

did anyone get a financial aid package? Mine says zero for everything in the federal loans and there is no award information?