2018-2019 Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences (Kansas City)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Interviewed 3/6 ACCEPTED!!!!!!! KC campus

Congratulations! I literally logged on to see if you were accepted! I’m glad you got the outcome that you deserve. See you at orientation (or accepted students day if you’ll be there for that as well)!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Is there anything current students would recommend getting besides required books, scrubs, and the required medical equipment? It could be anything that has been helpful for life or studies. If it matters, I’ll be attending Joplin
Crockpot or InstantPot. I did not get all the required books. Many are e-books. I got an Apple Pencil and case for my iPad. Anything you enjoy to give yourself a break. I stock up on bath bombs to relax, but if you have a hobby, keep at it.

Edit to add: A good blanket if you like to study on campus. I keep comfy slipper socks and KPods in my locker for late night studying. I actually keep quite a bit in my locker.

Also at Joplin if you have questions.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Is there anything I should look at buying now or should I wait until this summer? What books should I buy (FA, Pathoma, etc.)? For the medical device kit, is there a complete list somewhere of what all we’re supposed to get? I’m hoping to get a lot of the parts third party for cheap lol

Reactions: 1 user
Is there anything I should look at buying now or should I wait until this summer? What books should I buy (FA, Pathoma, etc.)? For the medical device kit, is there a complete list somewhere of what all we’re supposed to get? I’m hoping to get a lot of the parts third party for cheap lol
There's a list on the matriculation page: here's the link.

Anybody know when wait list movement starts?
I'm hoping the waitlist starts moving soon now that the COB students appear to have interviewed and been accepted. Does anyone know if there is a ranking system for the waitlist to see where you're at?

Pathoma and Sketchy are more for second year (and MOD at the end of first year). FA can be useful for some topics, but it really shines for pharm and path concepts. I'd get it and write any cute mnemonics you come up with in it to help you for second year.

As for the medical kit and saving money, check this out. It should have everything you need. Alternatively, buy a kit from an upper classman.

Is there anything current students would recommend getting besides required books, scrubs, and the required medical equipment? It could be anything that has been helpful for life or studies. If it matters, I’ll be attending Joplin

A durable bag, preferably water proof/resistant.
A pair of reliable headphones (noise canceling is great, but not required).
A letter to yourself talking about how excited you are to be starting medical school that you can look back on when times get hard.
Someone else's Netflix/Hulu/Amazon Prime/HBO/etc passwords.
A hobby you can engage in every once and a while (I like cooking and also play pennywhistle, both are really easy to fit into my study schedule).
A group of friends that includes non-medschool people (I host a group from my church at my house on a regular basis and it is great not to talk about medicine)

Reactions: 5 users
How do we get e-textbooks? I am trying to save some money by not buying textbooks that's not necessary :p

Congratulations! I literally logged on to see if you were accepted! I’m glad you got the outcome that you deserve. See you at orientation (or accepted students day if you’ll be there for that as well)!!

Aw thanks so much for your support! I’ll be there (accepted students day) and orientation, of course!

Members don't see this ad :)
How do we get e-textbooks? I am trying to save some money by not buying textbooks that's not necessary :p
There are links through the library and they go through the steps in orientation on how to get there as well.

I’ve been reading posts since Sept 2018, but this is my first post.

I turned in my secondary early October yet recieved an interview quite late in the cycle (March 6) since interview slots were full and I didn’t change my location preference. I have been accepted; KCU is now my best option. I’m waiting for a follow up email with additional info from Admissions.

I’ve request to be added to the FB group for class of 2023. I’ll ask here and there. Is anyone looking for a roommate? I’m very interested in the possibility since there seems to be a lot of benefit in rooming with someone going through the same material. I hope that my settings allow for personal messages.

I have a few questions. Oops if they’ve been asked in previous posts.
When is Accepted Students Day?
Is it easy to find a study group from the get-go?

I turned in my secondary early October yet recieved an interview quite late in the cycle (March 6) since interview slots were full and I didn’t change my location preference. I have been accepted; KCU is now my best option. I’m waiting for a follow up email with additional info from Admissions.

I’ve request to be added to the FB group for class of 2023. I’ll ask here and there. Is anyone looking for a roommate? I’m very interested in the possibility since there seems to be a lot of benefit in rooming with someone going through the same material. I hope that my settings allow for personal messages.

I’ve been accepted to KC’s campus.

Crockpot or InstantPot. I did not get all the required books. Many are e-books. I got an Apple Pencil and case for my iPad. Anything you enjoy to give yourself a break. I stock up on bath bombs to relax, but if you have a hobby, keep at it.

Edit to add: A good blanket if you like to study on campus. I keep comfy slipper socks and KPods in my locker for late night studying. I actually keep quite a bit in my locker.

Also at Joplin if you have questions.
The only book I got hard copies of were Panini(Everyone will be selling it) and Robbins

I'm hoping the waitlist starts moving soon now that the COB students appear to have interviewed and been accepted. Does anyone know if there is a ranking system for the waitlist to see where you're at?
No ranking to my knowledge

Is there anyone on here who can add me to the Facebook page? I requested yesterday and I know it can take time, but just thought I'd ask! Thanks!

When is the earliest date to get a Hep B titer after vaccination?

This has probably been asked already but what apartment complex’s are recommended to live in close to KCU. Thanks!

They will be passed down to you one way or another-- through a big, the FB page, somehow. Many are linked through the library.

I didn't buy a single book for this year. I've used FA intermittently throughout the year when I needed clarification on something.

Last edited:
Are there any good places to live with a family? I have three kids so I would like it if it was in a good school district. Should’ve mentioned I am going to Joplin

Last edited:
Are there any good places to live with a family? I have three kids so I would like it if it was in a good school district.

Lee’s summit on the Missouri side and Overland Park/leawood on the Kansas side are nice areas, about 20-30 min away from school. My husband and is teacher in the Hickman mills district (rough area)

Lee’s summit on the Missouri side and Overland Park/leawood on the Kansas side are nice areas, about 20-30 min away from school. My husband and is teacher in the Hickman mills district (rough area)

Sorry, I forgot to mention Joplin campus. Thanks though

Anyone have apartment recommendations for north Kansas City? I’ve got a 70 pound dog that I bring with me when I run, so I’m trying to live somewhere with a good park or something nearby!

If anyone is looking for a roommate at century tower apartments right across Kansas City campus, just PM me. I already put down a deposit for a two bedroom apartment there

Anyone have apartment recommendations for north Kansas City? I’ve got a 70 pound dog that I bring with me when I run, so I’m trying to live somewhere with a good park or something nearby!
There are a ton of apartment complexes north of the river that are pretty much all very similar, so my recommendation is honestly just to Zillow that area. There are also tons of parks and walking trails in north KC! I live a 5 minute drive from a couple. Most places I've seen charge ~$300 non-refundable pet fee plus anywhere from $20-30 added to your rent each month.

If anyone is looking for a roommate at century tower apartments right across Kansas City campus, just PM me. I already put down a deposit for a two bedroom apartment there

It’s not allowing me to send a PM to you

Hi, so I recently got my titer results back, and it said that I’m not immune to measles, but everything else was fine, so I need to schedule for a vaccination. However, I read on the form that I need to take another titer 4-6 weeks after to confirm that I’m immune again, and I won’t get those results until after May 1st when the deadline to submit immunization forms are, so do you guys think that would be an issue if I submit everything else dated, signed and stamped while I’m waiting to get the new titer back?

Hi, so I recently got my titer results back, and it said that I’m not immune to measles, but everything else was fine, so I need to schedule for a vaccination. However, I read on the form that I need to take another titer 4-6 weeks after to confirm that I’m immune again, and I won’t get those results until after May 1st when the deadline to submit immunization forms are, so do you guys think that would be an issue if I submit everything else dated, signed and stamped while I’m waiting to get the new titer back?
Yeah it should be fine so long as you let them know it’s in the works. I had to re do the varicella, MMR and Hep B series and my titers / last hep b shot won’t be until after May 1st

Doesn't matter as long as you show them it's in process.

Yea. Just submit what you have done, and then send in updates

Yea. Just submit what you have done, and then send in updates

Thanks! Does the same apply for the meningitis vaccine? I didn’t have any documentation of it so I got my shot for it today and was told I need to get another shot in a month (so after May 1st). So you’re saying I just need to send in what I got and update them saying I’ll send the others later?

Why are you guys choosing to come here? Go elsewhere if you have the option.