2018-2019 Rocky Vista University (Parker, Colorado)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'll be a first year starting next Monday. Just wanted to throw you OOS applicants a bone. I am from the South. I got my interview invite mid-December. My application was complete in August. If you guys don't get an II right away, don't worry. The admissions committee really does emphasize how selective they are. According to my interviewers, my application must have gone through 3 separate review panels. I was in the last group to get interviewed and accepted in February. You just have to be patient. It's a marathon, not a sprint. Hang in there.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
Anyone else going to the II on Monday, 8/20 PM? I'm hoping to explore the area on Sunday if anyone wants to join!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'll be a first year starting next Monday. Just wanted to throw you OOS applicants a bone. I am from the South. I got my interview invite mid-December. My application was complete in August. If you guys don't get an II right away, don't worry. The admissions committee really does emphasize how selective they are. According to my interviewers, my application must have gone through 3 separate review panels. I was in the last group to get interviewed and accepted in February. You just have to be patient. It's a marathon, not a sprint. Hang in there.
Selective as in they take most of those who they interview?

Selective as in they take most of those who they interview?
yes, they said in an email that it's over 80% acceptance for those who interview and probably higher earlier in the cycle.

Nah, everything has been in since well before June 15, and secondary was complete the day I got it (21st, 22nd?). I guess I can call tomorrow.
If you do end up calling, please update! Sounds like we are in the same boat, but I already bothered them a week or so ago :oops: hate to do so more than once.

Received a II earlier today. OOS and file complete 7/12.

Reactions: 1 users
Secondary submitted: 7
First II yippeee!! Submitted 7/3 and not sure when "complete" but must have been very recent- maybe even yesterday as I checked the portal recently and was still "Applicant".

Anyone else going 8/22 for the PM interview?
Also- what's up with this dress code- any current students know if this is seriously enforced or not?
I'm interviewing at that time as well! Submitted 7/4, complete 7/11, II 7/13.

submitted primary 7/2
secondary 7/6
letters received 7/16 and now app complete
Now pending decision
fingers crossed! its one of my top choices!

Members don't see this ad :)
For everyone that got an interview confirmation email, you guys reported 80% of people interviewed last year getting accepted. When I got my interview confirmation it said:

"We are very mindful of how stressful and expensive the medical school admissions process is. Therefore we are very selective of who we bring in to interview. Last year we accepted nearly 75% of the candidates we interviewed."

Last edited:
For everyone that got an interview confirmation email, you guys reported 80% of people interviewed last year getting accepted. When I got my interview confirmation it said:

"We are very mindful of how stressful and expensive the medical school admissions process is. Therefore we are very selective of who we bring in to interview. Last year we accepted nearly 75% of the candidates we interviewed."

Do you think it dropped 5% because some people declined their offer due to getting off a waitlist of another school recently? I was just curious why the number changed.
Mine says 80% lol

"We are very mindful of how stressful and expensive the medical school admissions process is. Therefore we are very selective of who we bring in to interview. Last year we accepted over 80% of the candidates we interviewed.

We do what we can to minimize the stress of the process so that you can relax and be yourself and we can determine if RVUCOM will be a good fit for you. Be prepared to interview us as well to make sure that you will feel at home at RVUCOM. "

Guess they want demoralize you lol with that 5% less.

Last edited:

I think the earlier you get an interview update, the higher your chances maybe. Maybe they take a higher percentage of people from the first batch? Or maybe it’s off yor stats? I have no idea just guessing

Does anyone have information on their interview process? I didn't see any information on their site.

Does anyone have information on their interview process? I didn't see any information on their site.
I know it's a 30 minute 2 member panel interview (no MMI). Then the other time is mainly interacting with faculty, students, having lunch and touring the school.

UPDATE:
submitted primary 7/2
secondary 7/6
II: today 7/18/18
this and rowan are my top choices so im sooo happy rn.

check your portals yall, i didnt get an email about the II

UPDATE:
submitted primary 7/2
secondary 7/6
II: today 7/18/18
this and rowan are my top choices so im sooo happy rn.

check your portals yall, i didnt get an email about the II
Congrats! Where is this on the portal? Would it be under "admission status"?

Congrats! Where is this on the portal? Would it be under "admission status"?

uh not really sure tbh, i just logged in it automatically took me to a new page id never seen before where it asked me to schedule an interview. then after you checudle it, the admission status tab changes to an interview tab

Submitted 6/20 and completed 7/6. Still patiently waiting for a response :D

Hey all CO residents- I have my interview in August and I’m landing in Denver, CO on a Saturday evening at 6pm. Is there a train or bus that can easily take me from Denver to Parker?

Hey all CO residents- I have my interview in August and I’m landing in Denver, CO on a Saturday evening at 6pm. Is there a train or bus that can easily take me from Denver to Parker?
My advice on transportation in the Denver area (I'm a CO resident living in the Denver area):

Option 1 (suggested method - 1.5 hours): Use RTD (our transportation system, $9 one way from the airport) - the RTD train/bus station is located by the security area within the airport, just ask around). You have to take bus AT and 483.

Google maps shown here: Google Maps
Fares for the RTD: RTD
System map:RTD

I believe there are no trains from DIA to Parker (only to Denver area). Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

@bostonstrong95 At 6pm, the buses should still be running, but not as many.

Option 2 (if you are limited on time - 40 mins): Using uber (about ~$25-$30 one way)

PM me if you have any questions, always happy to help!

My advice on transportation in the Denver area (I'm a CO resident living in the Denver area):

Option 1 (suggested method - 1.5 hours): Use RTD (our transportation system, $9 one way from the airport) - the RTD train/bus station is located by the security area within the airport, just ask around). You have to take bus AT and 483.

Google maps shown here: Google Maps
Fares for the RTD: RTD
System map:RTD

I believe there are no trains from DIA to Parker (only to Denver area). Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

@bostonstrong95 At 6pm, the buses should still be running, but not as many.

Option 2 (if you are limited on time - 40 mins): Using uber (about ~$25-$30 one way)

PM me if you have any questions, always happy to help!

Updates on this: They don't run the entire route on 8/18 (Sat), but they do on 8/19 (Sun)

RTD trip planner: RTD

For anyone wondering, I contacted the office. If you applicant portal says "APPL" it is complete and if it says "File Complete" then it has been processed.
Just FYI because I was freaking out

Hey guys! First year student here but just wanted to drop in and say feel free to ask general questions if needed. We start classes Monday so I’m obviously limited on some questions but willing to answer what I can. I am so happy with my choice to go here and hope you have the opportunity to as well. Good luck all!!

Reactions: 2 users
Hey guys! First year student here but just wanted to drop in and say feel free to ask general questions if needed. We start classes Monday so I’m obviously limited on some questions but willing to answer what I can. I am so happy with my choice to go here and hope you have the opportunity to as well. Good luck all!!

If you had multiple acceptances, why did you choose RVU? also how did you feel the interview was for you? Thanks in advance for sharing!

If you had multiple acceptances, why did you choose RVU? also how did you feel the interview was for you? Thanks in advance for sharing!
I was lucky to have a few options. I was only genuinely torn between RVU and one other school though. Ultimately it came down to two very important things for me. First and foremost, I was confident I would be supported here if I needed it. I’m sure I won’t love every single teacher there, but I will say many whom I met genuinely cared to support their students learning and well-being. I enjoyed that while competitive, there seemed to be a family-like feel of collaboration amongst everyone and I’ve definitely seen that to be true during orientation week as well. They’ve already shown to have solid mentors and the second years have been so kind and involved with us. That feeling of support was important to me on interview day. The curriculum was amazing to boot so after I had the “feeling” it kind of sold me. I also loved Colorado so that part isn’t too shabby either!

Reactions: 2 users
Anyone else going 8/22 for the PM interview?
Also- what's up with this dress code- any current students know if this is seriously enforced or not?

Second year here but from the Utah campus. Dress code is somewhat enforced but probably not as bad as it sounds. It's business casual but you can where jeans and t shirts though they aren't supposed to have logos on the shirts. Some students where shirt and tie every day some where polos, and some where t shirts every day. Maybe a Colorado student can chime in but if I remember from my interview in CO it sounded about the same as what we have in UT.

Second year here but from the Utah campus. Dress code is somewhat enforced but probably not as bad as it sounds. It's business casual but you can where jeans and t shirts though they aren't supposed to have logos on the shirts. Some students where shirt and tie every day some where polos, and some where t shirts every day. Maybe a Colorado student can chime in but if I remember from my interview in CO it sounded about the same as what we have in UT.
Only my second day but from what I’ve noticed about a third dress business casual, a third dress like normal people but “nice” ie a casual dress or maybe a polo with khakis, and about a third dress in jeans and a T-shirt or something plain. I imagine people will get more casual as the semester goes on. Honestly unless you’re used to pajamas, the dress code probably won’t take much an adjustment if at all. Can dress casual or nice if you want to.

Do you happen to know how the curriculum is setup? Mandatory lecture? clickers? how much time you are supposed to get to study for COMLEX vs USMLE?

II on 7/16 at 5pm CST. Scheduled for 9/6! First II of the cycle.

Do you happen to know how the curriculum is setup? Mandatory lecture? clickers? how much time you are supposed to get to study for COMLEX vs USMLE?
Again, I’m only a first year at this a few days but I can give ya the basics. You have some year long courses including OPP, a “doctoring” course where you do standardized patients and whatnot, and ethics. We are on a block schedule so we focus on everything about that specific body system during our block. The first year focuses on what is “normal”, but includes clinical correlations throughout. The second year is more focused on what is abnormal which is nice because you see things twice. Most lectures are not mandatory, labs of course are and are in the afternoon. Lectures usually posted about 10 minutes after lecture is complete. We use clickers for BSCs which are sessions where you practice clinical/board style questions and discuss them as a class for practice. I don’t know much about time for boards so better waiting for an upperclassman. I THINK it’s 6 weeks but it can be more or less depending how you schedule them (hoping a second year can answer this part better)

Does anyone know about how long it took to receive a secondary? This is a top choice and I'm hoping to get the secondary in. I have a LM of ~69 and hoping to get some love from this school.

Does anyone know about how long it took to receive a secondary? This is a top choice and I'm hoping to get the secondary in. I have a LM of ~69 and hoping to get some love from this school.

You should probably get it soon if your AACOMAS was submitted and verified. I added another school after being verified and received their secondary the same day.

You should probably get it soon if your AACOMAS was submitted and verified. I added another school after being verified and received their secondary the same day.

Mines been verified for 3 days now and not a word about a secondary

Again, I’m only a first year at this a few days but I can give ya the basics. You have some year long courses including OPP, a “doctoring” course where you do standardized patients and whatnot, and ethics. We are on a block schedule so we focus on everything about that specific body system during our block. The first year focuses on what is “normal”, but includes clinical correlations throughout. The second year is more focused on what is abnormal which is nice because you see things twice. Most lectures are not mandatory, labs of course are and are in the afternoon. Lectures usually posted about 10 minutes after lecture is complete. We use clickers for BSCs which are sessions where you practice clinical/board style questions and discuss them as a class for practice. I don’t know much about time for boards so better waiting for an upperclassman. I THINK it’s 6 weeks but it can be more or less depending how you schedule them (hoping a second year can answer this part better)

thank you. what is BSCs?

Anyone know if there's some way to check your status on the portal? I can't see any indication that they've received my LORs or that my application is under review.

thank you. what is BSCs?
We use clickers for BSCs which are sessions where you practice clinical/board style questions and discuss them as a class for practice

How do you find if your letters have been received? Under my file status it says supplemental application twice and then AACOMAS application with respective completion dates

How do you find if your letters have been received? Under my file status it says supplemental application twice and then AACOMAS application with respective completion dates
Mine is the same, I think this means that they have not processed the application yet and I believe the letters will show up once they do so