2018-2019 Rocky Vista University (Parker, Colorado)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I submitted my secondary here on 6/28, and it looks like my LORs didn't get completed until 7/9. My app status is FILEC for "file complete" but I haven't gotten any sort of verification that they even received my secondary application or anything. Should this have been expected? Do other people's application status also still say FILEC?

Members don't see this ad.

So today I called to ask to see if my letters of rec are in and someone told me they want more clinical experience from me but I already have over 100 hours of shadowing done and also have hospital volunteering for a whole summer...however they said that hospital volunteering isn’t clinical experience? So confused

Last edited:
So today I called to ask to see if my letters of rec are in and someone told me they want more clinical experience from me but I already have over 100 hours of shadowing done and also have hospital volunteering for a whole summer...however they said that hospital volunteering isn’t clinical experience? So confused

I'm no adcom obviously and don't mean any offense, but as a medical assistant its hard for me to understand how anything not involving direct patient care is considered clinical experience. As a volunteer did you interact with patients in meaningful ways or just clean/stock rooms? Most of the volunteers i've encountered do the latter but it's different everywhere. If you fall into the former maybe try explaining this in your secondaries!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm no adcom obviously and don't mean any offense, but as a medical assistant its hard for me to understand how anything not involving direct patient care is considered clinical experience. As a volunteer did you interact with patients in meaningful ways or just clean/stock rooms? Most of the volunteers i've encountered do the latter but it's different everywhere. If you fall into the former maybe try explaining this in your secondaries!
Interacted with patients and got to view surgeries and help nurses and doctors which I explained in my primary application!

I submitted my secondary here on 6/28, and it looks like my LORs didn't get completed until 7/9. My app status is FILEC for "file complete" but I haven't gotten any sort of verification that they even received my secondary application or anything. Should this have been expected? Do other people's application status also still say FILEC?
Did you get FILEC immediately after your letters came in?

Have you worked with patients in helping provide care? Either as a scribe. Tech. Medical assistant. Etc

I don’t think shadowing is considered clinical experience since it’s more observing than actually interacting with the patient- not 100% on that but I’m pretty sure that’s what my pre med advisor told me

Mine has said FILEC since 7/25 as well. It seems like the people that got II's during the first wave went right from FILEC status to an II, or not. So I'm not expecting an official complete email from them.

Reactions: 1 user
Can someone help me figure out MyVista Page? So I submitted my application on July 15th, and haven't heard anything back from them yet. Is there another update when they add letters of rec (mine are all on AACOMAS so it shouldn't be a matter of waiting for them) or MCAT? How can we tell if it is under review?

I just called the admissions office and they said they are still reviewing applications that were submitted at the end of June so it might be a while before they get to applications that were submitted in mid/late July just to let everyone know

Reactions: 4 users
Anyone know if they pre screen? 499 mcat (127,120,126,126) 3.87 gpa 3.82 sgpa. Ik I’m an underdog since my mcat is trash, but I heard a lot of schools give leeway towards cars. Have a do letter & everything else. Planning on retaking September rn, but we’ll see
Just emailed them and they said they have a hard cut off at 500. So don't waste your money if u have below a 500

Members don't see this ad :)
Just emailed them and they said they have a hard cut off at 500. So don't waste your money if u have below a 500
Hey do you mind telling me the email? I looked up the contact info but only found phone numbers. Thanks :)

Can RVUCOM students receive loans from the federal government? I thought I had read that schools that were for-profit can't receive federal loans, students can only use private loans. I just wanted to clarify this because I know that RVUCOM is a for-profit medical school.

Can RVUCOM students receive loans from the federal government? I thought I had read that schools that were for-profit can't receive federal loans, students can only use private loans. I just wanted to clarify this because I know that RVUCOM is a for-profit medical school.
The is a thing called a gainful employment guarantee (this rule in under review and may be removed) that schools have to prove you will make enough money to pay off their loans. RVU has you sign one if you get an interview. This is my understanding, but if someone knows more please chime in!

Absolutely!

Rejected today. IS, 512 MCAT, 3.3UnderSciGPA 3.8 GradSciGPA. Honestly, a little bummed. Wanted to stay in state and thought I would get some love here. Not sure if I messed something up on my application or what. Good luck to everyone else!
Im surprised by this. Do you have clinical work experience?

I got an II on Tuesday. OOS. MCAT 512, C/SGPA 3.7-3.8. FILEC on 7/19.

We get federal loans like any other school. Tax designation makes no difference on that front!

I have medical work experience and hundreds of patient contact clinical volunteer hours, as well as non clinical hours. Maybe they don't consider my work as clinical, is that something they require or highly seek?
Possibly, i think this school is high on that. I have a 512, same as you, with slightly better GPAs and a rising trend (3.8+ last 40 credits).

What is your work experience?

I’m submitting my AACOMAS this weekend. cGPA 3.66, sGPA 3.60, 511 MCAT. Should I be worried about my late submission? I’ve heard great things about RVUCOM and would love to study/live in CO.

I’m submitting my AACOMAS this weekend. cGPA 3.66, sGPA 3.60, 511 MCAT. Should I be worried about my late submission? I’ve heard great things about RVUCOM and would love to study/live in CO.

Sounds like you've got solid stats and I wouldn't say you are submitting late, just not early. I would just go for it. RVU tries to go off of fit to the school as well so you always have a shot until the spots are filled up.

Sounds like you've got solid stats and I wouldn't say you are submitting late, just not early. I would just go for it. RVU tries to go off of fit to the school as well so you always have a shot until the spots are filled up.

Relieved to hear this, especially coming from a current RVU student :D. Thank you for your response!

I have a possibly dumb question. On the MyVista portal page, my tabs say "Applicant-UT" and "Student Affairs-UT." Does the UT mean for the Utah campus, or is this just what everyone's says? Does anyone's say "Applicant-CO"

I have a possibly dumb question. On the MyVista portal page, my tabs say "Applicant-UT" and "Student Affairs-UT." Does the UT mean for the Utah campus, or is this just what everyone's says? Does anyone's say "Applicant-CO"
it says CO for me. I applied CO

Hey guys, this might be a stupid question, but how can you tell if your letters were received? I submitted the secondary 8/2. Thanks!

Hey guys, this might be a stupid question, but how can you tell if your letters were received? I submitted the secondary 8/2. Thanks!
On the MyVista page if you click on the Applicant tab you will see the LORs listed under File Status, and there should be a completion date if they have been received

On the MyVista page if you click on the Applicant tab you will see the LORs listed under File Status, and there should be a completion date if they have been received
Thanks for the response, if they have not yet been received then it should look like this, correct?

Attachments

• rvu.PNG
    rvu.PNG
    17.3 KB · Views: 95
Thanks for the response, if they have not yet been received then it should look like this, correct?
Right. Mine (under that) says like "science advisor, DO letter, science professor, etc..." with dates next to them all

Rejected post secondary today

3.7/508.

Is it okay to call them to see what’s wrong with my app so I can improve?

For the people rejected, did your portal say FILEC or APPL prior to rejection? I'm wondering how the timeline of these things work.

I'm OOS, no DO letter of rec. Minimal DO shadowing.

I don't know what my app is missing besides that though.

Weird yeah I'd definitely give them a call, maybe it was a mistake. Or maybe they really value DO letters? Was your sGPA as high as your cumulative?

Weird yeah I'd definitely give them a call, maybe it was a mistake. Or maybe they really value DO letters? Was your sGPA as high as your cumulative?

I called, they said they don't give individual feedback so now I'm worried I have a huge red flag. I do have an azcom II though.

Yeah sgpa is .3 higher than cgpa

I called, they said they don't give individual feedback so now I'm worried I have a huge red flag. I do have an azcom II though.

That's so weird I guess it was just the DO letter then? Bizarre. Hey I'm interviewing at AZCOM in November! And my DO letter isn't in so I guess they don't find that part important?

That's so weird I guess it was just the DO letter then? Bizarre. Hey I'm interviewing at AZCOM in November! And my DO letter isn't in so I guess they don't find that part important?

No idea bud. Your mcat blows mine out of the water so good luck to ya.
They told me to look @ their website for what they want....their averages are 3.6/505 so I exceed their academic standards.

Rejected post secondary today

3.7/508.

Is it okay to call them to see what’s wrong with my app so I can improve?
Damn, my stats are similar to yours, 3.65 and 510, and I also don't have a DO letter or shadowing haha so I'll probably get the reject also

Damn, my stats are similar to yours, 3.65 and 510, and I also don't have a DO letter or shadowing haha so I'll probably get the reject also

or I have some red flag, no idea.

I spoke to some faculty from this school and they said this program REALLY values patient care experience and looks for candidates who have a lot of it. Is this something that is not as strong in your app? I wouldn't worry about red flags if you've had success with other schools- RVU seems to be very selective of who they interview and in a way it is nice that they don't string you along for a year if they don't see you as a good fit. Still not fun to get rejections but don't let it phase you too much. Try to see if someone who doesn't know you well is willing to look over your app but I doubt there are any glaring issues.

I spoke to some faculty from this school and they said this program REALLY values patient care experience and looks for candidates who have a lot of it. Is this something that is not as strong in your app? I wouldn't worry about red flags if you've had success with other schools- RVU seems to be very selective of who they interview and in a way it is nice that they don't string you along for a year if they don't see you as a good fit. Still not fun to get rejections but don't let it phase you too much. Try to see if someone who doesn't know you well is willing to look over your app but I doubt there are any glaring issues.

My patient care is mostly volunteering at the hospital for 500 hours but I don't have exactly "CNA, EMT experience". Just the typical ED stuff.
That could be it.