2018-2019 Rocky Vista University (Parker, Colorado)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chizledfrmstone

Enjoying the finer things in life
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good luck to everyone applying this cycle!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Verified 5/21

Good luck to everyone applying this cycle!

Hey guys, as an entering second year I wanted to volunteer to answer questions anyone has! Feel free to send me a private message! Good luck with the applications ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
So I just got rejected pre secondary...3.7 cGPA and 3.52 sGPA with a 502 MCAT. Is their minimum MCAT higher than that??

Reactions: 1 users
Just got rejected with a 3.48 grad GPA and 504... I thought their cutoff was 500 and 3.00?

So I just got rejected pre secondary...3.7 cGPA and 3.52 sGPA with a 502 MCAT. Is their minimum MCAT higher than that??

Same thing happened to me except my MCAT is higher... GPA are each a bit lower than yours but still this seems weird...
I'm trying to get on their website and see what the "minimums" were

Same thing happened to me except my MCAT is higher... GPA are each a bit lower than yours but still this seems weird...
I'm trying to get on their website and see what the "minimums" were

500 MCAT and 3.0 GPA are the minimums on the website. It has to be an error on their part.

Yeah this is what AACOMAS says:
  • To be eligible to receive a supplemental application, candidates’ AACOMAS application must reflect a minimum 3.0 science and overall GPA. An overall score of 500 or higher is required for the MCAT.
I definitely am above those minimums, i'm hoping they made an error, I guess I'll email them.

I emailed them to see what exactly isn’t meeting their requirements. I’ve heard of this happening before due to an error in screening thing though

I emailed them to see what exactly isn’t meeting their requirements. I’ve heard of this happening before due to an error in screening thing though

I emailed them as well. Hopefully it was just an error.

Looks like it was an error lol. Just got an email with a secondary.

Just got the secondary email after the initial "rejection" someone must have made a mistake

Yup, same to the above, I got a pre rejection email with stats above their minimum cutoffs stated on their website and I emailed them.

Just got sent a secondary email link!
I saw something similar happen in last year's thread too!

Members don't see this ad :)
For LOR- I have 2 letters I'll be submitting (1 from DO and 1 from M.D). If I feel the MD letter is stronger, should I submit that one? Or will it look bad that I didn't choose the DO letter?

For LOR- I have 2 letters I'll be submitting (1 from DO and 1 from M.D). If I feel the MD letter is stronger, should I submit that one? Or will it look bad that I didn't choose the DO letter?

Is there a reason why not both? They said they accept up to 5 letters

Is there a reason why not both? They said they accept up to 5 letters

Well I'm having both be uploaded to AACOMAS but I guess it's asking for me to allocate which one I want them to pay attention to.

Hey so the way the secondary looks we can be considered for one school? Colorado or Ivins?? Why can't we apply for both?

Just submitted my app! Excited for this school :D

Well I'm having both be uploaded to AACOMAS but I guess it's asking for me to allocate which one I want them to pay attention to.

This may be just my opinion but I think the DO letter should be the focus considering this is a DO school and they have a why osteopathy question in their secondary. They will still see the strong MD letter but will be happy to see you have DO as well i'm sure

Working on secondary and RVUCOM is one of my top choices! Good luck to all applicants! Ready for some fresh air in the mountains.

Hey guys, as an entering second year I wanted to volunteer to answer questions anyone has! Feel free to send me a private message! Good luck with the applications ;)

Thank you so much for offering your time and energy to helping us out! I'm very interested in the different educational tracks at RVU COM, such as the Global Medicine or Rural and Wilderness Medicine Track. Will you please speak on your experience of these tracks?

What did you find valuable at RVU COM campus and community? What improvements wouldn't you mind seeing?

I think the tracks are great. For the sake of anonymity I won't say much about which track I'm part of, but my expectations have been met so far. Its a great opportunity.

The best part of RVU for me has been how helpful and passionate much of the staff has been. They always go out of their way to make time to help you out, and the resources offered outside of class are tremendous. As far as improvements, I think we had a significant number of growing pains associated with the implementation of the Utah campus, and will probably see some more with the PA program starting this year. I would like to see more effort put into making the CO + UT streaming experience a bit more seamless, and adding more study space for students.

I think the tracks are great. For the sake of anonymity I won't say much about which track I'm part of, but my expectations have been met so far. Its a great opportunity.

The best part of RVU for me has been how helpful and passionate much of the staff has been. They always go out of their way to make time to help you out, and the resources offered outside of class are tremendous. As far as improvements, I think we had a significant number of growing pains associated with the implementation of the Utah campus, and will probably see some more with the PA program starting this year. I would like to see more effort put into making the CO + UT streaming experience a bit more seamless, and adding more study space for students.

Could you extrapolate on the CO + UT streaming experience? What kind of challenges do students face with this?

Could you extrapolate on the CO + UT streaming experience? What kind of challenges do students face with this?

We have had some issues with volume levels in recordings and live lectures, feedback issues, lack of microphones in the beginning of the year, etc. But the school has worked hard to improve these things, and I am optimistic going into the next semester that these issues will have been resolved.

Hey so the way the secondary looks we can be considered for one school? Colorado or Ivins?? Why can't we apply for both?

When I applied we got a secondary from both schools so the admissions is completely separate. You should be able to send primaries to both campuses through AACOMAS

When I applied we got a secondary from both schools so the admissions is completely separate. You should be able to send primaries to both campuses through AACOMAS

This year, they only had one primary app in AACOMAS.
On the secondary, they asked for you to choose which campus you preferred and if you selected no preference, they would make the decision for you.

This year, they only had one primary app in AACOMAS.
On the secondary, they asked for you to choose which campus you preferred and if you selected no preference, they would make the decision for you.

O wow, that is strange. Thanks for the update.

2' sent, guess we'll see what happens!

How long after AACOMAS verification did it take for you guys to receive their secondary?
Also, does anyone know if we put a preference for one campus if we will still be considered for the other campus?

How long after AACOMAS verification did it take for you guys to receive their secondary?
Also, does anyone know if we put a preference for one campus if we will still be considered for the other campus?

If you indicate a preference, that is the only location you will be considered for.

Is anyone still waiting for a secondary? I meet their minimums but haven't received one yet...

Edit: Clearly I was getting a little antsy haha. Secondary received!

Last edited:
Two questions:
1. can someone post the secondary prompts and 2. I know previous secondaries had the question of why Rocky Vista Colorado (or Utah) will we still have to write that if we choose not to specify one? (I guess that may be answered once someone posts the prompts)

1. If not currently in school, what have you been doing since you were a full-time student?
2. Were you employed during the regular school year (excluding summers) while in undergraduate school? If so, please state number of hours worked per week and type of work.
3.Why do you want to become an Osteopathic Physician?
4. Why do you want to attend RVUCOM?
5. What unique characteristics, abilities, or skills will you bring to RVUCOM and the Osteopathic Profession?
No word limits.

The 4th question is there no matter what selection you make about which campus so yes you still need to tell them why.

Also does anyone who has submitted the secondary know if there is some way to find out if we are "complete" or will RVU email us to let us know our app is complete?

I'm wondering the same thing. I submitted the supplemental and my letters are in aacomas but never got any email from them other than a payment receipt. The portal has an applicants tab which it says can be used to "check status," but I don't see anything about letters/completion in there. I assume they're just slow.

You have to check your MyVista website for updates.

Also, as a heads up, they have started sending out interview invites for CO campus!

Yikes, I need to get my letters in!

Do they send complete emails? I sent my letters with AACOMAS but never got any notification that everything was under review

Do they send complete emails? I sent my letters with AACOMAS but never got any notification that everything was under review

No, I never got a confirmation email. I believe you can check on your MyVista website for updates.

Rejected - complete 6/29.
3.2 GPA (3.9 pb) and 510 MCAT