2018-2019 Texas Tech University - El Paso

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Lol yes I got real excited when I received it but I believe it is sent to everyone who interviews.
Did anyone receive a letter in the mail about how “they hope I rank their medical school high on my rank list”?
Lol. I also received the letter in the mail last week. SDN has been very quiet lately.
Happy Holiday everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I was hoping we’d see more prematches this week. But the day is still young, so who knows what the afternoon holds ;)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
To today's interviewees: Did you get any updated information about this cycle from admissions staff? Any idea how many seats are still needing to be filled? Any info would be greatly appreciated. I hope your interviews went great! :)

I assume it isn't as long as the school shows up under the "School Preference Rank" section of TMDSAS.
One of the second year guys I talked with at the student panel asked how many interviews I got. I told him “one” and he told me I should rank PFSOM really high then. I had to think about it before I got the joke.

Reactions: 5 users
One of the second year guys I talked with at the student panel asked how many interviews I got. I told him “one” and he told me I should rank PFSOM really high then. I had to think about it before I got the joke.
:heckyeah::heckyeah:

Just now got a pre-II rejection! Bummed but not all hope is lost, waiting on an admissions decision from the other Tech campus

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Just now got a pre-II rejection! Bummed but not all hope is lost, waiting on an admissions decision from the other Tech campus

I think II are pretty much done at all TX schools. Hopefully you hear good news from Lubbock come Match Day!

My heart sank when I got the rejection email from Long last week although I already knew it was coming :( Best wishes! I hope you get admitted to Lubbock on Match Day! That is only 17 more days to go :)

My heart sank when I got the rejection email from Long last week although I already knew it was coming :( Best wishes! I hope you get admitted to Lubbock on Match Day! That is only 17 more days to go :)
Yup! And thanks a ton. It can't come fast enough honestly. Just staying as optimistic as I can

:)Good luck to everyone who submitted their rank list today! Fingers crossed we all end up where we want to be! Hoping for the best for everyone on this forum! :)

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Exactly one week away till match! It’s gonna be a loooooonnnnnnnng week of pondering. :nailbiting:o_O:wideyed::heckyeah::)

Reactions: 6 users
Anyone know if any scholarship info is released on match day? Also wondering what the stats of the average scholarship recipient are, since I have read that they are merit based.

Matched to PLF!!!!!! Yayyyyyyyy! It's really gonna happen! Hope all of you have the same TMDSAS message :)
But really though anyone know anything about scholarships?

Reactions: 5 users
OH MY GOD MATCHED AND SCHOLARSHIP OF 15K PER YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: 9 users
After a second interview cycle- countless feelings of rejection, tears, endless contemplation. I have matched to PLFSOM today. I just want to say that sometimes things in life happen that you can’t explain- I interviewed here last year and was very heart broken I didn’t get in. But I was very hesitant to come to El Paso- it was away from everyone I know and love. But after interviewing there two times- meeting friends in town, this is a place I am very happy to call my future home. To those who didn’t get in, please do not give up hope. Life is a constant struggle of ups and downs, you WILL have your day in the Sun. My thoughts are with you today, and if you have any questions about reapplying do not hesitate to ask me. Much Love

Reactions: 9 users
Did any other OOS students receive an email about being placed on the alternate list? The email seems geared towards individuals who didn't match, but I wasn't included in the match since I'm OOS. Just checking to make sure I wasn't accidentally sent the wrong email.

Edit: I just called and they said they sent the same email to everyone. So I'm officially waitlisted...

Last edited:
Congratulation to all those who matched today! Welcome to PLFSOM family. In upcoming weeks you will be receiving an orientation packet and the Class of 2022 Student Council will be creating a Facebook group for you all soon. A lot is going on this month at PLFSOM and current MS1s are having exams next week so just have some patience and celebrate this great news. In the meantime make sure the email you used to apply through TMDSAS is the same one you use for Facebook so that its easier to add you all to the group.

To those who did not match today, it's not over yet. There will be some waitlist movement in upcoming months.

Reactions: 6 users
OH MY GOD MATCHED AND SCHOLARSHIP OF 15K PER YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!
Wow congrats! How did you get the scholarship notification? Match email, separate email, call, secondary portal? Mind sharing stats also? Sorry so many questions

Wow congrats! How did you get the scholarship notification? Match email, separate email, call, secondary portal? Mind sharing stats also? Sorry so many questions

Based on what I remember from last year, some scholarships were also offered in April/May via email.

No problem! It was in my match email!
My stats are 517 MCAT and 3.75 GPA

Based on what I remember from last year, some scholarships were also offered in April/May via email.
Ah ok so maybe all hope is not lost!

No problem! It was in my match email!
My stats are 517 MCAT and 3.75 GPA
Wowza no wonder. Ok maybe hope is lost after all lol. Congrats again!

Friend of mine matched here as well and was offered a 15K scholarship per year

Friend of mine matched here as well and was offered a 15K scholarship per year
Nice! Would you happen to know his stats? Just trying to get a sense of who they’re going out to.

I waited until 10 AM to look at any screens because I was scared to see if I was even going to match anywhere and I did! And my top choice! I must say I like some of my future classmates like the office that’s already a plus lol for everyone else that didn’t match, I know it’s stuff I was there 2 years ago, just keep working hard and it will pay off, soon enough you will be here with us!

Reactions: 4 users
I waited until 10 AM to look at any screens because I was scared to see if I was even going to match anywhere and I did! And my top choice! I must say I like some of my future classmates like the office that’s already a plus lol for everyone else that didn’t match, I know it’s stuff I was there 2 years ago, just keep working hard and it will pay off, soon enough you will be here with us!

Congrats on the match, friend!

I also matched here with the 15k scholarship! (I found out a week after I prematched though) It seems like they're really generous with scholarships which is awesome

Reactions: 3 users
I also matched here with the 15k scholarship! (I found out a week after I prematched though) It seems like they're really generous with scholarships which is awesome

Mind sharing stats?

After a second interview cycle- countless feelings of rejection, tears, endless contemplation. I have matched to PLFSOM today. I just want to say that sometimes things in life happen that you can’t explain- I interviewed here last year and was very heart broken I didn’t get in. But I was very hesitant to come to El Paso- it was away from everyone I know and love. But after interviewing there two times- meeting friends in town, this is a place I am very happy to call my future home. To those who didn’t get in, please do not give up hope. Life is a constant struggle of ups and downs, you WILL have your day in the Sun. My thoughts are with you today, and if you have any questions about reapplying do not hesitate to ask me. Much Love
Congrats! You will have a great time there !

Mind sharing stats?

Sure! I did earlier on this thread, but 515/3.98 and I prematched 4 days after my interview (figured I'd be pretty dumb to turn down such a generous scholarship lol)

congrats to everyone who matched!

Welcome to the PLFSOM family! It's an exciting time, and I hope you all get the chance to fully celebrate and RELAX! Med school will be here before you know it!

I forgot to mention. I live in EP and am from here. If you have any questions let me know.

I really like it. I chose to come back after the military and living all over the US and abroad and have practiced here as an RN and NP for the better part of 8 years.

I really like it. I chose to come back after the military and living all over the US and abroad and have practiced here as an RN and NP for the better part of 8 years.
Sorry I meant Where's the best apartments to live at

Hello Everyone,
I am accepted to El paso and wanted to know some feed back from you guys. Any general information you guys know about the school will be helpful but some specifics i want to know:
1) How is the curriculum, what do you love about it and does it prepare you well for the Step?
2) How is the student, faculty, and mentor relationships and does the school provide any extra resources to help with the step exam?
3) How are the clinical opportunities at this school? does going to this school limit me to primary care?
4) How are the research opportunities?
5)How are the facilities like the library on campus and the clinical facilities that MS1 and MS2s get time at?
6)How is life in el paso overall and what has your experience been?

Can someone explain how anatomy and physiology is taught at El Paso. Thanks!

Sorry I meant Where's the best apartments to live at
My bad. So the school is pretty much central. There are a few places around there that aren’t bad. I would look into places on the Westside around Mesa as there’s lots to do and not too far from school. East is really busy and I don’t really recommend living further out than George Dieter and the Far East or Far West May be too much of a drive. I would also steer clear of the Northeast side of town (kind of far and more crime than other areas).

Can someone explain how anatomy and physiology is taught at El Paso. Thanks!

Current MS3 here:

Anatomy: We just recently changed anatomy professors but assuming the curriculum stays the same, anatomy is taught longitudinally throughout preclinical years with weekly sessions consisting of a lecture regarding more clinical aspects of anatomy plus a lab session utilizing prosections. You will rotate around to different stations with cadavers, identifying structures that are already pinned while anatomy TA's and professors circulate around teaching and answering questions. If you are interested in anatomy, there is the distinction in anatomy program, which consists of dissecting the cadavers creating prosections for the next year during the summer between M1 and M2. Then, during M2, those students serve as anatomy TA's for lab sessions and optional practicals. With regards to testing, there are no practicals (tests where you have to identify a structure on a cadaver), but those questions are free game on the end of unit summative exams in the form of clinical vignettes with a picture.

Physiology: Physio is taught by one of the professors in a lecture style setting, but he likes to give an introductory video to prep for the session then during the actual lecture, he goes over cases and questions that he has created.

Hello Everyone,
I am accepted to El paso and wanted to know some feed back from you guys. Any general information you guys know about the school will be helpful but some specifics i want to know:
1) How is the curriculum, what do you love about it and does it prepare you well for the Step?
2) How is the student, faculty, and mentor relationships and does the school provide any extra resources to help with the step exam?
3) How are the clinical opportunities at this school? does going to this school limit me to primary care?
4) How are the research opportunities?
5)How are the facilities like the library on campus and the clinical facilities that MS1 and MS2s get time at?
6)How is life in el paso overall and what has your experience been?

MS3 here, these are just my opinions and others may think differently so take them with a grain of salt:

1) The way the curriculum is set up makes sense with regards to the clinical presentations and everything, and it helps you organize the information in your head a little better. With regards to Step prep, I don't think the curriculum content helps with Step any more than any other school, but the way the schedule works out, you have a lot of time to study for Step (both dedicated and outside of dedicated).
2) I feel that the student relationships are very good. We all help each other and the atmosphere is very laid back. Upperclassmen are always willing to help the classes after them. There is a TA system, where students from the year above you help guide you, which is especially helpful during the first year because they put on weekly TA sessions where they go over high yield or difficult material. Faculty relationships are pretty good, and most professors are very approachable and willing to help and discuss any concerns or questions. The mentorship with the college system is especially strong, as you have access to 2 individuals whose doors are almost always open to you. The school provides Uworld for Step 1 and Step 2 CK.
3) Clinical opportunities are very good, even from the beginning of your first year. There are 4 free clinics that students can start volunteering at during your first year in which you are directly involved in patient care in some aspect. With regards to 3rd year, because of the small class size, it doesn't feel like you have to compete for clinical encounters. Most likely, you will be the only medical student on any particular service. Going to this school definitely does not limit you to primary care, that more depends on your preferences and board scores.
4) Research opportunities are plentiful, as the class size is so small, and there are an abundance of professors doing research and looking for students to help.
5) Facilities are very good, there is an abundance of space in the library at the MEB and in the clinical building. The study rooms at the MEB are extremely large and comfortable. The clinical facilities that MS1s and MS2s use are mainly the free clinics, which are very limited in the resources they have. However, we have a top notch medical skills center, where you start seeing standardized patients from the very beginning of 1st year, which helps you tremendously in learning to take histories and becoming comfortable assessing patients.
6) Life in El Paso is pretty good. I like to describe it as having enough things to do where you won't get bored but not an overabundance of things going on where you feel that you're missing out. El Paso is growing a lot, with new restaurants and bars opening up everywhere. More notable things that opened up in recent years are a TopGolf, Alamo Drafthouse, and a Whole Foods. The cost of living and housing is relatively low.

Again, these are just my personal opinions, but I hope it helped!

Reactions: 4 users
When will they send us more information about everything?

Reactions: 3 users