2018-2019 Texas Tech University - El Paso

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gyngyn

Alta California
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
2019 Secondary Qs:

"The mission of the Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center-Paul L. Foster School of Medicine is to provide an outstanding education and development opportunities for a diverse group of students, residents, faculty, and staff; advance knowledge through innovation and research; and serve the needs of our socially and culturally diverse communities and regions." Recognizing the components of this mission and that PLFSOM is located on the US/Mexico border, please describe why you are interested in applying to our school. (300 words or less)

Please describe how a parent, guardian, friend, relative, or mentor influenced your aspirations to obtain a medical degree. If not applicable, please so indicate. (300 words or less)

The TTUHSC medical student honor code states "In my capacity as a Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center School of Medicine medical student, I will uphold the dignity of the medical profession. I will, to the best of my ability, avoid actions which might result in harm to my patients. I will protect the dignity of my patients and the deceased, and will protect their confidential information in accordance with the prevailing standards of medical practice. I will not lie, cheat, or steal. I will enter into professional relationships with my colleagues, teachers, and other health care professionals in a manner that is respectful and reflective of the high standards and expectations of my profession. I will not tolerate violations of this Code by others and will report such violations to the appropriate authorities." Please describe briefly past experiences or personal attributes that reflect your affinity with this honor code. (300 words or less)

Please describe any personal experiences OR disadvantage (educational, financial or otherwise) and their significance to you in your pursuit of a medical degree. If not applicable, please so indicate. (300 words or less)

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center Paul L. Foster School of Medicine

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
"The mission of the Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center-Paul L. Foster School of Medicine is to provide an outstanding education and development opportunities for a diverse group of students, residents, faculty, and staff; advance knowledge through innovation and research; and serve the needs of our socially and culturally diverse communities and regions." Recognizing the components of this mission and that PLFSOM is located on the US/Mexico border, please describe why you are interested in applying to our school. (300 words or less)

Please describe how a parent, guardian, friend, relative, or mentor influenced your aspirations to obtain a medical degree. If not applicable, please so indicate. (300 words or less)

The TTUHSC medical student honor code states "In my capacity as a Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center School of Medicine medical student, I will uphold the dignity of the medical profession. I will, to the best of my ability, avoid actions which might result in harm to my patients. I will protect the dignity of my patients and the deceased, and will protect their confidential information in accordance with the prevailing standards of medical practice. I will not lie, cheat, or steal. I will enter into professional relationships with my colleagues, teachers, and other health care professionals in a manner that is respectful and reflective of the high standards and expectations of my profession. I will not tolerate violations of this Code by others and will report such violations to the appropriate authorities." Please describe briefly past experiences or personal attributes that reflect your affinity with this honor code. (300 words or less)

Please describe any personal experiences OR disadvantage (educational, financial or otherwise) and their significance to you in your pursuit of a medical degree. If not applicable, please so indicate. (300 words or less)

@gyngyn

Reactions: 2 users
Sort of confused about the last question ('Please describe any personal experiences OR disadvantage (educational, financial or otherwise) and their significance to you in your pursuit of a medical degree. If not applicable, please so indicate. (300 words or less)')... is this an optional question to explain any hiccups in your app (ie. a bad academic year due to a family tragedy)? What are people planning on writing for this?

Members don't see this ad :)
Sort of confused about the last question ('Please describe any personal experiences OR disadvantage (educational, financial or otherwise) and their significance to you in your pursuit of a medical degree. If not applicable, please so indicate. (300 words or less)')... is this an optional question to explain any hiccups in your app (ie. a bad academic year due to a family tragedy)? What are people planning on writing for this?
You are right, this question is a bit confusing. I have done some research regarding this question, and it seems like some applicants in the past have used it to address any experiences that they have yet to talk about, that have had a significant influence in their pursuit to MD school. Someone correct me if I am wrong here.

Hi Y'all, I am an upcoming MS1 here, I Pre-matched here and then eventually Matched. Really honored and humbled to be attending my top choice school in a few weeks. Paul L. Foster School of Medicine has an amazing program! Please let me know if you all have any questions regarding the application cycle and about the school in general, I will try to answer with the best of my abilities. I am sending all the good vibes your way! :)

Reactions: 1 users
You are right, this question is a bit confusing. I have done some research regarding this question, and it seems like some applicants in the past have used it to address any experiences that they have yet to talk about, that have had a significant influence in their pursuit to MD school. Someone correct me if I am wrong here.

I used this question to talk about my personal experiences that I did not mention elsewhere in my application. I talked about the adversity I faced and the challenges my family faced in order to get access to the healthcare. Then I reflected on these challenges and talked about why I am motivated to pursue a career in medicine and serve people in need.

Does anyone know how we're suppose to answer this question? It's kind of vague and I'm not even sure what it is exactly asking.

Does anyone know how we're suppose to answer this question? It's kind of vague and I'm not even sure what it is exactly asking.

I spoke about the dedication I showed for my experiences (two in particular), why I had a passion for such dedication, and how it relates to upholding dignity, professionalism, etc. I tried to incorporate a few "buzzwords" from the prompt, without forcing it. I think its just another way of asking, tell us about your most admirable attributes. If you have already written it, look at the A&M prompt about their honor code. The attributes they list would fit really well here.

How is everyone referring to the school in your writing? TTUHSC? For example, I believe X,Y, and Z will help me advance TTUHSC's missions of......

I'd suggest TTUHSC EP or PLFSOM.

Anyone know when they generally start sending out IIs?

Members don't see this ad :)
Please describe how a parent, guardian, friend, relative, or mentor influenced your aspirations to obtain a medical degree. If not applicable, please so indicate.

Do you think it would look bad to say "This prompt is not applicable to my situation." and leave it at that? I could try to really squeeze something out for the sake of it, but beyond being generally supportive, nobody in my life is connected enough to medicine to have a really big influence on my ambitions. I've shadowed, but not enough to make close friends with any of the doctors and have big heart to heart moments. I could talk about inspiration from shadowing, but that would be more about my read on the experience - not so much based on the doctors' mentoring - I'm not sure if that's what the prompt is asking?

Do you think it would look bad to say "This prompt is not applicable to my situation." and leave it at that? I could try to really squeeze something out for the sake of it, but beyond being generally supportive, nobody in my life is connected enough to medicine to have a really big influence on my ambitions. I've shadowed, but not enough to make close friends with any of the doctors and have big heart to heart moments. I could talk about inspiration from shadowing, but that would be more about my read on the experience - not so much based on the doctors' mentoring - I'm not sure if that's what the prompt is asking?

FWIW, it's also totally acceptable to talk about someone who has influenced you but is not directly in the medical field. Just be sure to relate the person/experience and your motivations/aspirations.

I don't know of anyone who has gotten one, but last year they came out around the third week of July. We might see some next week.
Yep, 7/18 was the first SDN reported one I saw. A&M’s was on the 13th, and thanks to you they’re right on track, so let’s hope for the same from the rest of them! Congrats by the way!!!

To those that got and II, does your portal change when you start being reviewed?

Congrats! When were y'all complete?
I think around 5/24? or so. Just booked my flight. My wallet is going to feel it :/ But it's balanced out by my excitement for the interview

I think around 5/24? or so. Just booked my flight. My wallet is going to feel it :/ But it's balanced out by my excitement for the interview

Dang dude congrats! You are 100% so far!

For people who have gotten IIs, has your casper score been processed yet?

Damn, there hasn't been any interviews from here in a long time.

I haven't had an II at el paso yet. Im IS, lizzy of 65, submitted the 2nd mid-june. Do you think I have a chance to interview at el paso?
I think you have a good chance because you are in state. I heard from many people that paul foster places an importance on having clinical skills more than mcat.

Hello Everyone,

I am a current MS1 at PLFSOM, and we just finished our first week of new material. I love this school from the bottom of my heart, and am so happy that I am here! Seriously, this school is AWESOME and nothing can compare!

With that being said, I remember being in your shoes just last year. And I remember just how difficult it was submitting the application and waiting for those interviews...just waiting. Shout out to my reapplicants as well.

If you all have any questions about the school, please do not hesitate to ask. Medical school is rigorous (and fun!), but I will try to get back to your questions as soon as I can (maybe 2 days?) I just want you all to know that your hard work will pay off, and everything will work out for the better in the long run.

My stats, if y'all wanted to know:
In-state, not a minority.
MCAT: 505 (after 2 old MCAT attempts pre-2015 change, 2 new post-2015 change)
GPA: Upper 3.8's (graduated top of my class)
Application submitted: 05/08
Secondary submitted: Late May
Prior major activities: Scribe, Tutor, Researcher (multiple posters), President's Service Award.
Interview Date: 08/03/2017 (almost one year :D)
Acceptance Date: Matched Feb 1, 2018 (the longest wait ever--6 months)
Interviews: Only MD school in state, many DO schools in and out of state.

I want to be as transparent with you all and as honest as possible. My MCAT was not the best, but I think the rest of my application was as tip top as it could be. I tried very hard on this secondary application and tried to make it match PLFSOM's mission statement.

I hope I don't discourage anyone with this post; instead I want to provide motivation for you if you apply! If you think your stats are not up to par, please do not worry now. Try your best on your application and secondary, considering your scores are in range. Not everyone of you will get an interview, no matter how good your MCAT/GPA is. But if I could do it, I am sure you can too! Believe in yourself, and do not hesitate to ask any questions. I will try to get back in a timely fashion (try)!

<3

Reactions: 12 users
Also, I have several friends here who had their interviews here on the last day possible (December), and matched here as well. Like quite a few. It is natural to worry about not getting an interview yet, but it is only August. We have a lot of time in this interview process.

Reactions: 1 users
II today! Looks like I need to hop back over to google flights. At least if I don't get into medical school I should have platinum status with American Airlines by the end of the process :D

Reactions: 6 users
II today! Looks like I need to hop back over to google flights. At least if I don't get into medical school I should have platinum status with American Airlines by the end of the process :D
When did you have your primary and then secondary in by?

6/26, 7/6

Wait that’s strange? I submitted my primary on 6/20, but it didn’t transmit until 7/9? I couldn’t receive the secondary until after the transmittance was complete (TX reapplicant-been through this once and interviewed here last year). How did your primary get transmitted on 6/26 and then you turned the secondary in by 7/6? Pretty sure TMDSAS transmits based on order of submission? Or no? Lol

Wait that’s strange? I submitted my primary on 6/20, but it didn’t transmit until 7/9? I couldn’t receive the secondary until after the transmittance was complete (TX reapplicant-been through this once and interviewed here last year). How did your primary get transmitted on 6/26 and then you turned the secondary in by 7/6? Pretty sure TMDSAS transmits based on order of submission? Or no? Lol

Oh, I submitted to TMDSAS on 6/11, they transmitted on 6/26, secondary submitted 7/6