2018-2019 Texas Tech University - El Paso

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
@candycanegal just to add on to @LibBum and @red_tangoes, at this time Osmosis is not provided by the school, however a large enough group can buy in at a more reasonable price (which happened this year and in previous years). As mentioned, UWorld is provided during MS2, and there are talks about Firecracker coming down the pipeline as well.

@Nanz90 and @sugar12 I just wanted to remind y'all that the school offers a free shuttle to the airport (unless they said otherwise for the upcoming interview day?), leaving at 3 (end of student panel) and every 30 minutes after that. With a 6 PM flight I would recommend taking advantage of this. Otherwise, Uber tends to be prevalent enough in the area and shouldn't be a problem. TSA recommends 2 hours for a domestic flight, and I think my longest wait at ELP was 30 minutes, although I've done it in 5 from the curb. Y'all will be fine with a 6 PM flight.

Thank you! The email specifically said that no shuttle is provided by the school.

Members don't see this ad.

Thank you! The email specifically said that no shuttle is provided by the school.

Oddly enough I actually looked back and saw this in my own interview e-mail, and have no explanation! Perhaps I will be wrong, but don't be surprised if they ask shuttlers to add their name to a list as part of the logistics first thing in the morning. If they don't, at least you already budgeted the Uber. Sorry for the confusion.

@candycanegal just to add on to @LibBum and @red_tangoes, at this time Osmosis is not provided by the school, however a large enough group can buy in at a more reasonable price (which happened this year and in previous years). As mentioned, UWorld is provided during MS2, and there are talks about Firecracker coming down the pipeline as well.

@Nanz90 and @sugar12 I just wanted to remind y'all that the school offers a free shuttle to the airport (unless they said otherwise for the upcoming interview day?), leaving at 3 (end of student panel) and every 30 minutes after that. With a 6 PM flight I would recommend taking advantage of this. Otherwise, Uber tends to be prevalent enough in the area and shouldn't be a problem. TSA recommends 2 hours for a domestic flight, and I think my longest wait at ELP was 30 minutes, although I've done it in 5 from the curb. Y'all will be fine with a 6 PM flight.

Oddly enough I actually looked back and saw this in my own interview e-mail, and have no explanation! Perhaps I will be wrong, but don't be surprised if they ask shuttlers to add their name to a list as part of the logistics first thing in the morning. If they don't, at least you already budgeted the Uber. Sorry for the confusion.

I II’d here last year and they specifically said in the email they would provide a shuttle back to the airport after the interview- this year they specifically stated they would NOT be doing this. Just wanted to chime in Incase of any confusion.

Members don't see this ad :)
I II’d here last year and they specifically said in the email they would provide a shuttle back to the airport after the interview- this year they specifically stated they would NOT be doing this. Just wanted to chime in Incase of any confusion.

Interviewed here last month and they still provided the shuttle back to the airport.

Reactions: 1 users
Lol, they need to get it together then lol.

upload_2018-11-23_17-28-50.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-11-23_17-28-50.jpeg
    upload_2018-11-23_17-28-50.jpeg
    32.5 KB · Views: 97
Reactions: 1 user
Had my interview here 11/8 and the email said they would not provide shuttle to the airport, but the first thing they handed me in the auditorium was the airport shuttle sign up, haha.
I interviewed in August and that was exactly my experience. I was ready to have to uber, but they were nice enough to just drive us.

Hey for those who interviewed here recently, how was lunch like? I remember last year we had something so absurd imo. Like it was empanadas or enchiladas with Salsa or something. And I was in a suit and tie and thought “man this can get very messy, very quick”, so I just picked up a salad. Lol. Am wondering if it was still that same way?

Hey for those who interviewed here recently, how was lunch like? I remember last year we had something so absurd imo. Like it was empanadas or enchiladas with Salsa or something. And I was in a suit and tie and thought “man this can get very messy, very quick”, so I just picked up a salad. Lol. Am wondering if it was still that same way?

We had chicken taquitos, Mexican rice, refried beans, green salsa, salad, tortilla chips with guacamole, and mixed fruit cups. Drinks were lemonade, iced tea, and water. Food was pretty good imo. I recommend covering the taquitos with the green salsa so they aren’t super dry.

Reactions: 2 users
what about pathoma?

Nope. They are also considering revising the curriculum to online lecture units (not live stream) within a few years, eliminating the possibility of attending lectures in person. You would still attend anatomy labs and small groups sessions. It's something to consider if you choose to attend since you will have no choice once you are a student.

Also in the headlines - our anatomy professor is parting ways in Jan. He will be missed.

Nope. They are also considering revising the curriculum to online lecture units (not live stream) within a few years, eliminating the possibility of attending lectures in person. You would still attend anatomy labs and small groups sessions. It's something to consider if you choose to attend since you will have no choice once you are a student.

Also in the headlines - our anatomy professor is parting ways in Jan. He will be missed.

Didn’t the anatomy prof just start? I believe we met him in the interview. Short, bald, glasses?

Had my interview here 11/8 and the email said they would not provide shuttle to the airport, but the first thing they handed me in the auditorium was the airport shuttle sign up, haha.

Interviewed here recently, got email that said no shuttle and we got a shuttle. To clear up any confusion, I asked them and they said they email that they do NOT provide it because the shuttles are not always available so they don't want applicants to depend on a shuttle. Nevertheless, if the shuttles are available, they are more than happy to drive. I ended up splitting an uber with a fellow interviewee since our interviews both ended at ~2pm and I wanted to standby for an earlier flight (shuttle is at ~3:30/4). Uber was like $10. Also recommend bring your luggage, so you can head to airport right after interview. They stored it in the corner of the room.

Members don't see this ad :)

Dr. Gest?? No way he was one of the coolest people we met on interview day

II about 10 minutes ago! I was complete 9/11 and the only dates available were 12/6 and 12/13.

Reactions: 1 users
II today as well, chose 12/6!

Any updates from OOSers who already interviewed? I believe only one OOS has written on here about a post-interview acceptance. I'm OOS and wasn't given any sort of timeline for when I might hear back after my interview ("rolling admissions" is a super vague term), so the email neurosis is real.

Does anyone know if there will be a second wave of prematches?

Be Kind

Any chance for an OOS II at this point?
I have been looking back through threads of years past to get an idea of what to expect and had recent contact with the admissions director. The latest II email I found was on Dec 20th and per the director interviews will continue through mid January though she didn’t say whether they were exclusively IS. Good luck to you.

II today. LizzyM 64. Dates available were Jan 3 and 10. If anyone has any tips please PM me.

Reactions: 9 users
II today. LizzyM 64. Dates available were Jan 3 and 10. If anyone has any tips please PM me.

Congrats and also thank you for this info - it's giving me hope for an interview invite here lol

congrats mate. I interviewed here on the same exact day, lmk if you have any questions.

Last edited:
Hey y'all! I'm new to SDN but I prematched to PLF last Monday :) So there is a chance to pre-match the Monday after your interview

Reactions: 5 users
Hey y'all! I'm new to SDN but I prematched to PLF last Monday :) So there is a chance to pre-match the Monday after your interview

Congrats!! I wish I could discern a pattern for when they send out acceptances. It always seems so random, haha. Here's to hoping for more offers in the coming days/weeks!

Hey congrats that’s awesome! So you PreMatched the week right after your interview? What day did you interview?

wow that is so freaking cool. congrats! Do you receive an email?

I interviewed on Thursday (11/29) then received an email on Monday (12/3) morning with my pre-match offer! I think maybe they do that for interviews during the pre-match period?

Reactions: 7 users
I interviewed on Thursday (11/29) then received an email on Monday (12/3) morning with my pre-match offer! I think maybe they do that for interviews during the pre-match period?
Wow congrats! Mind sharing stats?

Damnnnnnn, no wonder the fast PreMatch and turn around here! :laugh:

Congrats! Definitely deserve it

Lol thank you but tbh I think my interview played a lot more into it than my stats, I feel like they care a lot about fit.

Reactions: 2 users
Lol thank you but tbh I think my interview played a lot more into it than my stats, I feel like they care a lot about fit.
you must've totally rocked that interview. congrats

Any prematch offer here today? Share your good news with us!

Reactions: 3 users
Did anyone receive a letter in the mail about how “they hope I rank their medical school high on my rank list”?

Did anyone receive a letter in the mail about how “they hope I rank their medical school high on my rank list”?
Lol yes I got real excited when I received it but I believe it is sent to everyone who interviews.