2018-2019 Texas Tech University - El Paso

Started by gyngyn
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
@candycanegal just to add on to @LibBum and @red_tangoes, at this time Osmosis is not provided by the school, however a large enough group can buy in at a more reasonable price (which happened this year and in previous years). As mentioned, UWorld is provided during MS2, and there are talks about Firecracker coming down the pipeline as well.

@Nanz90 and @sugar12 I just wanted to remind y'all that the school offers a free shuttle to the airport (unless they said otherwise for the upcoming interview day?), leaving at 3 (end of student panel) and every 30 minutes after that. With a 6 PM flight I would recommend taking advantage of this. Otherwise, Uber tends to be prevalent enough in the area and shouldn't be a problem. TSA recommends 2 hours for a domestic flight, and I think my longest wait at ELP was 30 minutes, although I've done it in 5 from the curb. Y'all will be fine with a 6 PM flight.

Thank you! The email specifically said that no shuttle is provided by the school.
 
Thank you! The email specifically said that no shuttle is provided by the school.

Oddly enough I actually looked back and saw this in my own interview e-mail, and have no explanation! Perhaps I will be wrong, but don't be surprised if they ask shuttlers to add their name to a list as part of the logistics first thing in the morning. If they don't, at least you already budgeted the Uber. Sorry for the confusion.
 
@candycanegal just to add on to @LibBum and @red_tangoes, at this time Osmosis is not provided by the school, however a large enough group can buy in at a more reasonable price (which happened this year and in previous years). As mentioned, UWorld is provided during MS2, and there are talks about Firecracker coming down the pipeline as well.

@Nanz90 and @sugar12 I just wanted to remind y'all that the school offers a free shuttle to the airport (unless they said otherwise for the upcoming interview day?), leaving at 3 (end of student panel) and every 30 minutes after that. With a 6 PM flight I would recommend taking advantage of this. Otherwise, Uber tends to be prevalent enough in the area and shouldn't be a problem. TSA recommends 2 hours for a domestic flight, and I think my longest wait at ELP was 30 minutes, although I've done it in 5 from the curb. Y'all will be fine with a 6 PM flight.

Thank you! The email specifically said that no shuttle is provided by the school.

Oddly enough I actually looked back and saw this in my own interview e-mail, and have no explanation! Perhaps I will be wrong, but don't be surprised if they ask shuttlers to add their name to a list as part of the logistics first thing in the morning. If they don't, at least you already budgeted the Uber. Sorry for the confusion.


I II’d here last year and they specifically said in the email they would provide a shuttle back to the airport after the interview- this year they specifically stated they would NOT be doing this. Just wanted to chime in Incase of any confusion.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I II’d here last year and they specifically said in the email they would provide a shuttle back to the airport after the interview- this year they specifically stated they would NOT be doing this. Just wanted to chime in Incase of any confusion.

Interviewed here last month and they still provided the shuttle back to the airport.
 
Lol, they need to get it together then lol.

upload_2018-11-23_17-28-50.png
 

Attachments

  • upload_2018-11-23_17-28-50.jpeg
    upload_2018-11-23_17-28-50.jpeg
    32.5 KB · Views: 174
Had my interview here 11/8 and the email said they would not provide shuttle to the airport, but the first thing they handed me in the auditorium was the airport shuttle sign up, haha.
I interviewed in August and that was exactly my experience. I was ready to have to uber, but they were nice enough to just drive us.
 
Hey for those who interviewed here recently, how was lunch like? I remember last year we had something so absurd imo. Like it was empanadas or enchiladas with Salsa or something. And I was in a suit and tie and thought “man this can get very messy, very quick”, so I just picked up a salad. Lol. Am wondering if it was still that same way?
 
Hey for those who interviewed here recently, how was lunch like? I remember last year we had something so absurd imo. Like it was empanadas or enchiladas with Salsa or something. And I was in a suit and tie and thought “man this can get very messy, very quick”, so I just picked up a salad. Lol. Am wondering if it was still that same way?

We had chicken taquitos, Mexican rice, refried beans, green salsa, salad, tortilla chips with guacamole, and mixed fruit cups. Drinks were lemonade, iced tea, and water. Food was pretty good imo. I recommend covering the taquitos with the green salsa so they aren’t super dry.
 
what about pathoma?

Nope. They are also considering revising the curriculum to online lecture units (not live stream) within a few years, eliminating the possibility of attending lectures in person. You would still attend anatomy labs and small groups sessions. It's something to consider if you choose to attend since you will have no choice once you are a student.

Also in the headlines - our anatomy professor is parting ways in Jan. He will be missed.
 
Nope. They are also considering revising the curriculum to online lecture units (not live stream) within a few years, eliminating the possibility of attending lectures in person. You would still attend anatomy labs and small groups sessions. It's something to consider if you choose to attend since you will have no choice once you are a student.

Also in the headlines - our anatomy professor is parting ways in Jan. He will be missed.

Didn’t the anatomy prof just start? I believe we met him in the interview. Short, bald, glasses?
 
Had my interview here 11/8 and the email said they would not provide shuttle to the airport, but the first thing they handed me in the auditorium was the airport shuttle sign up, haha.

Interviewed here recently, got email that said no shuttle and we got a shuttle. To clear up any confusion, I asked them and they said they email that they do NOT provide it because the shuttles are not always available so they don't want applicants to depend on a shuttle. Nevertheless, if the shuttles are available, they are more than happy to drive. I ended up splitting an uber with a fellow interviewee since our interviews both ended at ~2pm and I wanted to standby for an earlier flight (shuttle is at ~3:30/4). Uber was like $10. Also recommend bring your luggage, so you can head to airport right after interview. They stored it in the corner of the room.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Any updates from OOSers who already interviewed? I believe only one OOS has written on here about a post-interview acceptance. I'm OOS and wasn't given any sort of timeline for when I might hear back after my interview ("rolling admissions" is a super vague term), so the email neurosis is real.
 
Any chance for an OOS II at this point?
I have been looking back through threads of years past to get an idea of what to expect and had recent contact with the admissions director. The latest II email I found was on Dec 20th and per the director interviews will continue through mid January though she didn’t say whether they were exclusively IS. Good luck to you.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey y'all! I'm new to SDN but I prematched to PLF last Monday 🙂 So there is a chance to pre-match the Monday after your interview

Congrats!! I wish I could discern a pattern for when they send out acceptances. It always seems so random, haha. Here's to hoping for more offers in the coming days/weeks!
 
Hey y'all! I'm new to SDN but I prematched to PLF last Monday 🙂 So there is a chance to pre-match the Monday after your interview

Hey congrats that’s awesome! So you PreMatched the week right after your interview? What day did you interview?
 
I interviewed on Thursday (11/29) then received an email on Monday (12/3) morning with my pre-match offer! I think maybe they do that for interviews during the pre-match period?
Wow congrats! Mind sharing stats?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad