2018-2019 University of California - Irvine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Do you think it would be wise for me to email the interviewers as well, to tell them about the situation? Or is that being too extra hahah
Just email admissions. Be direct and to the point. They don't have a lot of time to make it happen if they do have a spot open so send it now

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi! Wrote a LOI on 5/20, but i have to commit to another school(which is my only acceptance) by 5/31. Should I write another letter of intent reminder, or should i just play the cards of fate? Thanks! (I'm on the high-priority WL btw)

So I was in a similar situation. I had to choose a medical school by May 12th -military deadline- and I was placed on UCI's high priority waitlist. I sent admissions an update regarding my situation. Dean Peterson called me on the 13th of May to let me know I had been pulled off the waitlist and the seat was mine if I wanted it. So in my situation, I want to say it helped out. I also made it very clear that UCI was my number one choice and that I would attend if given a seat.

Reactions: 1 users
Has anyone heard of any movement on the waitlist this week? It’s been very quiet here.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dr. Peterson explained this to me once...I don't remember how late into the cycle the decisions are made, sadly.
I believe it was pretty late, though.

It's been over a month at this point. Would it be frowned upon/annoying to follow up at this point? I only ask as the director had mentioned they'd be in touch in the 'very near future with information and next steps in the consideration process'.

It's been over a month at this point. Would it be frowned upon/annoying to follow up at this point? I only ask as the director had mentioned they'd be in touch in the 'very near future with information and next steps in the consideration process'.
If your last contact was a month ago, a follow-up would not be inappropriate.

If your last contact was a month ago, a follow-up would not be inappropriate.
I spoke too son, I received an email to fill out a survey for continued interest. There's a portion which is asking 'for anything else you would like the committee to know'. There isn't a word limit for this section. I previously sent an update/LOI before being rejected in February. Is this section intended to be used for updates and commitment for the school, or would that be redundant on my part?

I spoke too son, I received an email to fill out a survey for continued interest. There's a portion which is asking 'for anything else you would like the committee to know'. There isn't a word limit for this section. I previously sent an update/LOI before being rejected in February. Is this section intended to be used for updates and commitment for the school, or would that be redundant on my part?
You were rejected by UCI in Feb and they just sent you this email? I'm a little confused by your message. I was waitlisted on 4/30 after my 4/8 interview. I sent a LOI beginning of May, but did not receive this survey... I wonder what this means for me.

This is a stock prompt for all of those under consideration.
Use any bits from your previous update that you think are important. Just freshen it up in case the same person read the LOI.

Use any bits from your previous update that you think are important. Just freshen it up in case the same person read the LOI.

@gyngyn. Would this indicate that if you did NOT receive the “stock” prompt, that you are not under consideration for acceptance even though you remain on the waitlist and have sent in a LOI? Or is this specific to those under consideration for the Conditional Acceptance program?

@gyngyn. Would this indicate that if you did NOT receive the “stock” prompt, that you are not under consideration for acceptance even though you remain on the waitlist and have sent in a LOI? Or is this specific to those under consideration for the Conditional Acceptance program?
If you have not been rejected, you are still under consideration for direct acceptance.
The invitation for this special program is entirely separate.

Thank you!! I'll be sure to do that.

Members don't see this ad :)

Are you aware if the review process includes an interview? I have to travel in July, but am hesitant to make plans incase I'm offered an interview.

Still hoping for some movement..seems like the only movement has been for special circumstances. Has anyone without special deadlines been accepted off of WL?

Still hoping for some movement..seems like the only movement has been for special circumstances. Has anyone without special deadlines been accepted off of WL?

Also still waiting to hear. I’m trying to remain a little hopeful at least until the end of June

It sure has been quiet for UC Irvine. I wonder if they have been quietly having acceptances, or if they are waiting until the last moment? Any one have news to share?

Reactions: 2 users
Just withdrew from the alternate list as there seemed to be little to no movement this year. Best of luck to everyone!

The school where I’m holding an acceptance has their CTE deadline in one week. I wrote UCI an email about this along with an LOI since I’m on the WL but would much prefer UCI over the other school. Is there anything else I should do or is it basically over?

UCI may be a school that underaccepted because of the change in traffic rules this year, and thus may have decent movement at or around their CTE deadline. Or perhaps even up to orientation. I would not lose hope here.

It seems weird to me even with the CTE deadline that they would wait until so late in the cycle to accept from the alternate list because the later it gets the more likely it is people from their waitlist will have decided (or had another CTE deadline) to go somewhere else or been accepted off another waitlist. Since they created a 'high alternate list' of folks who interviewed late in the cycle in April, this makes me believe they wanted to accept them outright but because there weren't any spots available they were forced to create this exclusive alternate list. I think there could be some movement but those spots are most likely going to those on the high alternate list.

I've been lurking around some other UC sdns out of curiosity and it seems like there was generally less waitlist movement this year. At UCLA the rumor is they over-accepted and won't pull anyone from the waitlist. Again, I want to remain hopeful for everyone still on Irvine's alternate list, but it seems this year the new traffic rules changed everything haha

It seems weird to me even with the CTE deadline that they would wait until so late in the cycle to accept from the alternate list because the later it gets the more likely it is people from their waitlist will have decided (or had another CTE deadline) to go somewhere else or been accepted off another waitlist. Since they created a 'high alternate list' of folks who interviewed late in the cycle in April, this makes me believe they wanted to accept them outright but because there weren't any spots available they were forced to create this exclusive alternate list. I think there could be some movement but those spots are most likely going to those on the high alternate list.

I've been lurking around some other UC sdns out of curiosity and it seems like there was generally less waitlist movement this year. At UCLA the rumor is they over-accepted and won't pull anyone from the waitlist. Again, I want to remain hopeful for everyone still on Irvine's alternate list, but it seems this year the new traffic rules changed everything haha
I believe this was the case as well. I was on the high alternate list for 2 weeks without hearing anything. I withdrew so it's possible I would've been pulled up after that, but I wouldn't expect much for anyone still on the waitlist

Regarding the “high alternate list”. From reading the previous posts throughout, I only recall a couple of people who confirmed they received an email referencing this. One of which was a special circumstance due to military. I haven’t heard anyone else confirm they recieved this email. I wonder how many of those were actually sent out? I would think more people would have confirmed they received the email. Any thoughts about this?

Also, someone mentioned that UCI had a CTE date of July 1, when previously it was July 15. Now the post is no longer there. Did UCI change their CTE date?

Reactions: 1 users
Regarding the “high alternate list”. From reading the previous posts throughout, I only recall a couple of people who confirmed they received an email referencing this. One of which was a special circumstance due to military. I haven’t heard anyone else confirm they recieved this email. I wonder how many of those were actually sent out? I would think more people would have confirmed they received the email. Any thoughts about this?

Also, someone mentioned that UCI had a CTE date of July 1, when previously it was July 15. Now the post is no longer there. Did UCI change their CTE date?
I received it and am not military. I think few people got it. I still wasn't accepted within a couple of weeks

Did anyone figure out if their CTE deadline is today, hoping for a miracle WL movement

Why not give them a call?
Would it be appropriate to email the Director of Admissions to get more information about the process or timeline? I don't want to come across as annoying, especially since they haven't disclosed much over the phone. I called again last week and was informed the program is fairly new and they don't have much information themselves. The deadline to submit the survey for continues interest was June 11, would you recommend waiting a month from then and reaching out to the Director next week? Or would that be frowned upon?

Would it be appropriate to email the Director of Admissions to get more information about the process or timeline? I don't want to come across as annoying, especially since they haven't disclosed much over the phone. I called again last week and was informed the program is fairly new and they don't have much information themselves. The deadline to submit the survey for continues interest was June 11, would you recommend waiting a month from then and reaching out to the Director next week? Or would that be frowned upon?
An email seems fine.

Email just now that I was not chosen for a deferred acceptance. I have not yet been rejected from the Alternate List, but I’m assuming that this means I was also rejected from there. Any thoughts?

Email just now that I was not chosen for a deferred acceptance. I have not yet been rejected from the Alternate List, but I’m assuming that this means I was also rejected from there. Any thoughts?
Same here. I sent an email asking if we are indeed rejected from the alternate list. Will keep you posted.

Also not chosen for deferred acceptance

I got the same email. I think someone posted earlier on the thread they were offered deferred acceptance but turned it down. I'm thinking this is a bad sign :/
I tried to find this post and did not see it. There’s another conditional acceptance program, maybe that’s the one that accepted someone?

We're still on the alternate list. I wasn't told anything other than that there has been very little movement. My impression is that UCI is desirable enough for most folks to hold on to their acceptances.

We're still on the alternate list. I wasn't told anything other than that there has been very little movement. My impression is that UCI is desirable enough for most folks to hold on to their acceptances.

Thanks for emailing. Doesn't surprise me, seemed like a great school!

So sad that the movement that we all expected at UCI, never really materialized - just like most of the schools this cycle. Times have changed. They used to have a fair amount of their class come off the wait list.

Reactions: 4 users
hey everyone from last year, i've been accepted this cycle and I was wondering if UCI gives any merit or need based aid?