2018-2019 University of Pikeville College of Osteopathic Medicine (KYCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So this last class that will start tomorrow actually got brand new iPad Pros with an Apple Pencil and keyboard. If you do not finish the program you have to return it, but as long as you graduate it is yours. They also provide the Apple Care for all 4 years on it. All textbooks are also online, but you can usually check out hard copies from the Library if that’s more your style. All equipment (even the electronics) are brand new. Its really an amazing deal:)
Did you have DO shadowing experience before acceptance to KYCOM?

Members don't see this ad.

Have most of you shadowed a DO? I have a lot of shadowing hours but none with a DO yet, I am working on setting some up now.
I did not shadow a DO in the traditional sense, but I worked very closely with one in an international healthcare relief organization and did medical mission work with her so she wrote me a letter of rec

Reactions: 1 user
Did anyone use their AACOMAS fee waiver for their supplemental fee? If so, how long did it take for them to email you back saying your waiver was approved? I cant submit my secondary without paying until they waive the fee

Sent from my SM-G955U using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you have DO shadowing experience before acceptance to KYCOM?
I did have a great deal of shadowing and shadowed a DO but it is not a must. If you are able to find a DO to shadow prior to interviewing it may be an experience you can add to your interview conversations.

Did anyone use their AACOMAS fee waiver for their supplemental fee? If so, how long did it take for them to email you back saying your waiver was approved? I cant submit my secondary without paying until they waive the fee

I never got a response when I emailed them about the fee waiver so I called Ronnie and he waived the secondary fee while we were still on the phone!

Reactions: 1 users
I never got a response when I emailed them about the fee waiver so I called Ronnie and he waived the secondary fee while we were still on the phone!
He didn't answer the phone so I left a voicemail. Hopefully my fee gets waived soon so I can submit my secondary!

Still waiting on my secondary for this school. Submitted my application 2 weeks ago.

Any hopes with getting in contact with Ronnie, or anyone else in Admissions? I called him two days ago, and left a voicemail to no avail. Also sent in an email. :/

Any hopes with getting in contact with Ronnie, or anyone else in Admissions? I called him two days ago, and left a voicemail to no avail. Also sent in an email. :/
Hey so I know he has been swamped the last couple of days so try and call him again today. Pleasantly persistent ;)

I got the email saying "Contact us in 2 weeks if you don't hear about your status" 2 weeks ago
Should I call or email today?
Has anyone else gotten this email?

I got the email saying "Contact us in 2 weeks if you don't hear about your status" 2 weeks ago
Should I call or email today?
Has anyone else gotten this email?

I'm in the same boat. I'm going to wait until Monday to call though just in case it updates at some point today.

Hi guys.
Current student on rotation.
First 2 years have a great faculty. I think most schools have a good education there. Not a lot of complaints.
People always ask my least favorite thing.
The big thing I don’t like is you feel very isolated if you’re not doing your rotations in Pikeville. I’ve figured everything out myself and the people I’m in contact with at the school aren’t the most responsive. I wish there was more guidance there. You have to stay on top of making sure Evals get submitted and all of that jazz.
I’ve gotten everything worked out, though.
BUT that being said I’ve heard the same complaint from others at DO schools. I think it happens a lot where they spread us out.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Anybody know the statistics/where to find them about interviews? Like percent of people that get them, percent of people who interviewed that get in? etc

Yes I called and left a message for Ronnie, he called me back about 10 min later saying I got an interview!
Did either of you guys call? I'm in the same boat. want to know what they said...
@mingy78

Reactions: 4 users
Anybody know the statistics/where to find them about interviews? Like percent of people that get them, percent of people who interviewed that get in? etc
I thought there was a page on KYCOM by SDN with stats but I can say that the earlier you interview the better odds you have since we operate on rolling admission basis.

Was your portal updated by that point with an interview tab?
Yes, once I called Ronnie said he would update the portal and then when I checked right after the portal was updated

Well, that may not be a good sign for me since I didn't get a call back haha
I'm not sure he knew I had been offered an interview when he called back, he said he was going into my file and stuff. I think I called right before his lunch break ended so maybe that's why he got right back to me. I'd try to call around 1-2, that's when I called

I'm not sure he knew I had been offered an interview when he called back, he said he was going into my file and stuff. I think I called right before his lunch break ended so maybe that's why he got right back to me. I'd try to call around 1-2, that's when I called

That's like right when I called also. I'm gonna give him a call again tomorrow, so we'll see what happens.

Congrats for those with II’s, what were your stats if you don’t mind me asking

GOTt an II, but does anyone know if they will provide more dates later on?

Did you guys get II thru the portal still?

The website seems to be down for me.

Did you guys get yours within the two weeks promised in the email? I was 2 weeks on Friday and emailed yesterday. Haven't heard anything.

Did you guys get yours within the two weeks promised in the email? I was 2 weeks on Friday and emailed yesterday. Haven't heard anything.
I’m in the same boat, also emailed yesterday and haven’t heard anything.

I would just give them a call. It had gone over 2 weeks for me as well and when I called last week, they told me when my application would be up for review by the adcom(which was yesterday).

I called and left a voicemail last week as well as yesterday. Still haven't heard anything back.

Just got an interview invite this morning. Will be going Sept 7th. Driving there straight from a Sept 6 at WVSOM. Any feedback on interviews?

Also, not sure if this is just a coincidence, but I emailed Ronnie last night about my status because it had been 2.5 weeks since my confirmation. Then I woke up with the II. Strange how it happened the day after I emailed her.

Also, not sure if this is just a coincidence, but I emailed Ronnie last night about my status because it had been 2.5 weeks since my confirmation. Then I woke up with the II. Strange how it happened the day after I emailed her.
I did the exact same thing and also got an invite.

I did the exact same thing and also got an invite.

Starting to think I'm about to get the R. I've left two voicemails over the last week and haven't heard anything back yet. If they review just by completion date then our files were probably in the same review meeting.

Edit: Looks like I'm probably on some type of "unofficial" hold. The guy I spoke with would only say that my file remains open in case I have any new updates and that they re-review files over the course of the cycle for interviews. In my case, that probably means I'm done because I can't really change my MCAT score and I'm done with undergrad at this point lol.

Last edited:
This may be random, but is there a lap pool anywhere near Pikeville? I've been a swimmer my whole life and this may be an important factor for me. I know that the school doesn't have one, but if there were a gym I could buy a membership to or a YMCA with a pool within a reasonable drive that would be fine.

Is anyone else having issues with their secondary? Every section that I fill out and save still says it is incomplete and I'm not sure why.

This may be random, but is there a lap pool anywhere near Pikeville? I've been a swimmer my whole life and this may be an important factor for me. I know that the school doesn't have one, but if there were a gym I could buy a membership to or a YMCA with a pool within a reasonable drive that would be fine.
No. The YMCA just has an outdoor pool, and it was closed this summer for repairs.

So I had to test this theory out. I decided I would send him an email to see the status of my application since it had been awhile and he responded with an interview invite hahah

Good luck to all interviewing Friday. Update us afterwards.

I still haven't heard anything from Ronnie regarding waiving my supplemental fee. I emailed her over a week ago and left two voicemails for her already. I really want to submit my application. Is anyone else having this problem?

Last edited:
How do I ask about your status in a professional way? I am thinking about doing that for another med school.