2018-2019 Vanderbilt University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Accepted Wednesday! No scholarship info, they just said financial aid info would be released later in the cycle

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Although unless people just stopped reporting it, it sounds like they're done giving out scholarships.

They're still giving out scholarships, they gave me a full ride.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations! Did you just get a call? Or were you also accepted on Wednesday?

Thank you! I was accepted on Wednesday. I just didn't share the scholarship information bc i didn't think people would be interested until I saw your post

Accepted! Got the call 35 minutes ago-complete first week of august, interviewed 11/09. No mention of scholarship-anyone know if they're typically always released at time of acceptance? Eternally grateful regardless!

If you didn't get a merit scholarship at the time of the call, I don't think it will be offered to you unless you get accepted into a competing med school that is ranked higher than Vanderbilt.There is still need aid though, and that offer will be revealed in the spring. I didn't get a merit scholarship either, but I was lucky enough to receive some need based aid. This brought the COA for Vanderbilt closer to my other acceptance, which was an instate public school.

Congrats to everyone who got an acceptance!

I asked the admissions office about this wave of acceptances because I have a buddy from undergrad applying this cycle who interviewed in October but didn't get an update this week. They told me that all of the December admission offers and scholarship awards have been made, and these folks will be getting an email and have their portal status updated in early January after the admissions office reopens. They also told me that everyone who's status says "under review" is still under consideration for the late Feb offers.

Reactions: 2 users
If you didn't get a merit scholarship at the time of the call, I don't think it will be offered to you unless you get accepted into a competing med school that is ranked higher than Vanderbilt.There is still need aid though, and that offer will be revealed in the spring. I didn't get a merit scholarship either, but I was lucky enough to receive some need based aid. This brought the COA for Vanderbilt closer to my other acceptance, which was an instate public school.

I asked the admissions office about this wave of acceptances because I have a buddy from undergrad applying this cycle who interviewed in October but didn't get an update this week. They told me that all of the December admission offers and scholarship awards have been made, and these folks will be getting an email and have their portal status updated in early January after the admissions office reopens. They also told me that everyone who's status says "under review" is still under consideration for the late Feb offers.
Thank you so much for the info! Really appreciate it. Do you think it's plausible that people who interviewed earlier but didn't hear anything in December could still receive merit aid if offered acceptance in February?

when youre still under review for...interview+pity+

Any advice on how to negotiate scholarship offers? I was accepted this past week and am very grateful, but will likely not be able to attend without some financial aid.

I've been accepted to a top 10 school that is significantly cheaper for me, but I really think Vanderbilt has the best curriculum of any school I interviewed at and would love to pursue my medical education there if the financials work out.

Reactions: 1 users
Any advice on how to negotiate scholarship offers? I was accepted this past week and am very grateful, but will likely not be able to attend without some financial aid.

I've been accepted to a top 10 school that is significantly cheaper for me, but I really think Vanderbilt has the best curriculum of any school I interviewed at and would love to pursue my medical education there if the financials work out.

I've been wondering the same thing.

Members don't see this ad :)
I emailed admissions a couple days ago asking about the status of my application (yes I know you're not supposed to, but I'm impatient and figured this late in the game I have nothing to lose). They said I'm still under consideration for an interview and that they hope to have more information in the coming weeks.

I say chances are pretty slim, but not totally impossible. Still expecting the R soon though
I sent an update on December 18th and they said they would review it and consider it. I don't think we are totally out of luck yet!

Is Vanderbilt receptive to post interview thank you cards? I know some schools discourage them. Thanks!

Is Vanderbilt receptive to post interview thank you cards? I know some schools discourage them. Thanks!

They are definitely receptive! But does anyone recall what that sheet of paper they gave us after the interview said in regard to where to send them? To the admissions email or individual interviewers? (I misplaced my paper in the chaos of the holidays...)

I e-mailed yesterday to ask about acceptance e-mail and portal. They told me they won't be sending those out until they're back in office next week.

does vanderbilt accept pre-II letters of interest?! I’ve interviewed at a dozen other schools & been accepted to several fantastic programs. However, I still can’t help but wish for just an II from here!!

does vanderbilt accept pre-II letters of interest?! I’ve interviewed at a dozen other schools & been accepted to several fantastic programs. However, I still can’t help but wish for just an II from here!!
looking at last year's thread this time, I think they are done sending out interviews

Just got an acceptance email! Not the actual letter, but still nice to finally have something in writing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why have I not been rejected already smh

Reactions: 5 users
Anyone still waiting on the portal to update acceptance status? The email said it would have updated this week

Called them today and apparently, they are still sending out interviews

Called them today and apparently, they are still sending out interviews

A lot of schools say that but I highly doubt that that is true. Technically, schools can be “giving” interview until Jan 28th or whenever their cycle ends but in reality all interviews have been giving out. In other words, don’t get your hopes up.

A lot of schools say that but I highly doubt that that is true. Technically, schools can be “giving” interview until Jan 28th or whenever their cycle ends but in reality all interviews have been giving out. In other words, don’t get your hopes up.

Shot through the heart, man.

Rejected pre-II just now. Complete 9/11.

Pre-II R just now. LM 82 OOS (Canadian) Complete mid-late Oct. Congrats to all accepted, and best of luck to everyone will awaiting decision.

R just now. Pretty disappointed to be honest after having to wait for months. God, I hate this process sometimes

And now all the rest of the rejections start.....I will add to the misery

+1 Nashville Hot Rejection

Rejected Pre-II, complete August. If they weren’t gonna give me an II it would’ve been nice to know sooner! Was on the hook for like 5 months with no communication. Good luck to everyone else!

Reactions: 4 users
Anyone have experience with student hosting here? I submitted a request through their website a while ago but never received a confirmation email, or heard back either affirmatively or negatively.

Anyone have experience with student hosting here? I submitted a request through their website a while ago but never received a confirmation email, or heard back either affirmatively or negatively.
I emailed them multiple times and never heard back until maybe 3 days before, when they told me the students had an exam and wouldn't be able to host. they weren't super helpful tbh

I emailed them multiple times and never heard back until maybe 3 days before, when they told me the students had an exam and wouldn't be able to host. they weren't super helpful tbh
What was the email address you tried contacting? I filled out a form on their website but I may try emailing directly

What was the email address you tried contacting? I filled out a form on their website but I may try emailing directly

I tried vusmhosting@vandy and when that didn’t work I just emailed the regular mdadmissions address

When you talk about potentially being able to get more aid from Vandy if accepted to a higher ranked school, does COA have to be cheaper for the other school which would make it so you're asking for Vandy to match it? Or can you pretty much be like (in no certain terms) "I got into a higher ranked school, but I'd rather attend your institution, can you increase my financial aid?"

I ended up getting one last second. I submitted my request like 5 days before my interview and got lucky that my student hosts had just gone through the list. The way it works is they scroll through the list each week and decide if they want to host anyone that week (at least thats how my hosts did it). If you don't hear back within a week before the interview that's when I'd get worried. Maybe find a backup plan now that is refundable and you can always cancel if you end up getting one.

I ended up getting one last second. I submitted my request like 5 days before my interview and got lucky that my student hosts had just gone through the list. The way it works is they scroll through the list each week and decide if they want to host anyone that week (at least thats how my hosts did it). If you don't hear back within a week before the interview that's when I'd get worried. Maybe find a backup plan now that is refundable and you can always cancel if you end up getting one.
Hmm that’s kind of annoying. I wish they’d just respond yes or no so I could make concrete plans. How did you submit a request? Was it through that online form, or did you email student hosting/MD admissions?