2018-2019 Vanderbilt University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gyngyn

Alta California
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Autobiography
Write a brief autobiography. As completely and precisely as possible, give a picture of yourself, your family, and events you consider important to you. In doing so, identify the values that are of greatest importance to you. If you have completed your undergraduate education, please comment on what you have done or have been doing since graduation. (1200 words)

Challenge
Please discuss a challenging situation or obstacle you have faced in the past. Why was it challenging? How did you handle it? Knowing what you know now, would you do anything differently? What did you learn? (500 words)

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: Vanderbilt University School of Medicine

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
I received a couple emails from Vanderbilt encouraging me to apply to their program. I am very familiar with one of their professor's research. ( I do similar research here in CA). So, I would love to apply, but I am not sure of the legitimacy of the recruitment emails. Given my financial limitations, I don't want to apply to a school where the invitation is not genuine. My current PI is an admission director for a med school here in CA; his opinion was that the email was generic and I should substantiate the validity of the invitation before spending the extra money. What are people's thoughts? Should I just go for it? Thank in advance for your thoughts!

You will receive a lot more generic emails from schools throughout the application cycle. Be prepared.

Barring any financial straits, If you can see yourself attending then you should apply. It is as simple as that

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Secondary received-questions seem to be the same.

Autobiography
Write a brief autobiography. As completely and precisely as possible, give a picture of yourself, your family, and events you consider important to you. In doing so, identify the values that are of greatest importance to you. If you have completed your undergraduate education, please comment on what you have done or have been doing since graduation. (1200 words)

Challenge
Please discuss a challenging situation or obstacle you have faced in the past. Why was it challenging? How did you handle it? Knowing what you know now, would you do anything differently? What did you learn? (500 words)

Good luck to everyone applying!

Reactions: 1 users
No secondary. Email just said my application will be continuously reviewed at this time.

Reactions: 2 users
Does Vanderbilt prescreen? I got the invite but their email made it sound like they screened before hand. "At this time, our Screening Committee would like to invite you..."

Does Vanderbilt prescreen? I got the invite but their email made it sound like they screened before hand. "At this time, our Screening Committee would like to invite you..."

Yeah they definitely pre-screen. Looks like everybody either got the secondary invite or notification that they're still screening.

I got the "still screening" note. MCAT = 521, cGPA = 3.7, OOS.

Yeah they definitely pre-screen. Looks like everybody either got the secondary invite or notification that they're still screening.

I got the "still screening" note. MCAT = 521, cGPA = 3.7, OOS.
I didn't get either email... Do you think there are any waves to this or should I be concerned. I was verified mid-june.

I didn't get either email... Do you think there are any waves to this or should I be concerned. I was verified mid-june.

Probably waves... but I can only guess. I was verified late June.

Based on threads from past years, users were speculating that there's an "auto-secondary" that gets sent out to people w/ high GPA and MCAT combo (possibly >3.8 + >521), and that all others essentially get sent to be manually screened.

Members don't see this ad :)
their automatic screen last year was 515 and 3.5 right? does anyone who's received a secondary already have below this?

Secondary received. MCAT 518-519, GPA 3.7-3.8. Anybody know what's up with uploading letters? I don't have access to my committee packet and I submitted them through AMCAS. Will AMCAS send them?
Yes, all the letters you designate on the primary will be sent via AMCAS.

Received the secondary, LM~82

their automatic screen last year was 515 and 3.5 right? does anyone who's received a secondary already have below this?
I am 3.6 cGPA 513 MCAT and I received a secondary invite today.

I'm URM tho

tag me when yall post qs

Autobiography

Challenge

@Lucca

Last edited:
Has anyone not received an email at all from Vandy? By the way, I applied to a special program, not regular MD.

Secondary received.

White, 2x MCAT (500 & 516), 3.76 c / 3.72 s

I got my Application Received email 1 min before my secondary invitation. Maybe they have computer programs for screening? ORM, high gpa, mcat 5-6 below average.

I got both emails today too.

I don't know what I want to talk for the "challenge" question. I read from the previous year's thread that we should write about a professional challenge.

Anyone here know the Secondary --> II turnover rate? Curious since their screening process seems so strict.

Submitted 7/20! Good luck y'all! I think nashville would be a fun place for a med student.

Reactions: 1 users
can anyone else just not bring themselves to write this autobiography? i'm already 20 secondaries deep for the season and i'm really lacking the motivation to complete this one lol

can anyone else just not bring themselves to write this autobiography? i'm already 20 secondaries deep for the season and i'm really lacking the motivation to complete this one lol

Same, I really like the sound of their program but I'm kinda emptied out of my motivation to write this.

I got both emails today too.

I don't know what I want to talk for the "challenge" question. I read from the previous year's thread that we should write about a professional challenge.

What was the thread where you read that about the challenge question? Just curious because I didn't wanna write about a professional challenge. Who had said that we should?

what would you guys recommend choosing for the FERPA waiver??

Same, I really like the sound of their program but I'm kinda emptied out of my motivation to write this.

If you have the money, I say go for it!

Unless you already have an acceptance somewhere else, you lose nothing except money and the time you spend writing.

You've been working years towards this goal, and you're very much at the hardest part of it -- are you really going to give up now? Just because you don't want to write an essay?

I get it, it's tough. Maybe you just need a break. Go for a walk. Meditate. Hang out with some friends.

But to throw away a secondary that you've received? When the school could have just completely ignored you and not send anything at all? And when you have no indication that other schools are even interested in you for an interview?

C'mon!

what would you guys recommend choosing for the FERPA waiver??
My advisor has always recommended waiving your right. You don't HAVE to, but it looks kind of sketchy if you don't, and it's generally accepted practice to waive it.

Unless you already have an acceptance somewhere else, you lose nothing except money and the time you spend writing.

You've been working years towards this goal, and you're very much at the hardest part of it -- are you really going to give up now? Just because you don't want to write an essay?

I get it, it's tough. Maybe you just need a break. Go for a walk. Meditate. Hang out with some friends.

But to throw away a secondary that you've received? When the school could have just completely ignored you and not send anything at all? And when you have no indication that other schools are even interested in you for an interview?

C'mon!

And this right here is exactly what I needed to read at this very moment. I sent in 30+ primaries and very quickly recognised the magnitude of the task at hand. Thank you sir!

For the autobiography prompt, I wrote about 800 words out of 1200 words max and I feel really happy with what I've said. I don't have anything else I really want to add, but is my essay too short as is? What do ya'll think?

For the autobiography prompt, I wrote about 800 words out of 1200 words max and I feel really happy with what I've said. I don't have anything else I really want to add, but is my essay too short as is? What do ya'll think?
I wrote around 850 for that essay, and near the cap for the other. It will be fine as long as you hit all the points you want to. 75% of the max is a good target.

C'mon!

Lol don't worry I definitely don't plan on throwing any away. Will be filling out every single one of them. Just was lacking motivation to work on this one at the time, so worked on other ones instead. Thanks for the pep talk though haha!

Edit: Duke is way worse and I still plan on doing theirs so I have no excuse for this one

What was the thread where you read that about the challenge question? Just curious because I didn't wanna write about a professional challenge. Who had said that we should?

blog dot accepted dor com slash vanderbilt dash university dash school-of-medicine dash secondary dash application dash essay dash tips slash

Here you are. It won't let me post a link

Did anyone get a confirmation email after sending in their secondary? and if so, how many days after submission did you receieve it? and when were you complete??

Finally submitted Friday after sitting in my inbox for ~2 weeks.