This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
@gyngyn -- many of the recent posts have questioned whether you still thought there would be a lot of mid-July post-CTE movement, as you thought might be possible a few months ago when the end of April rolled around, and you have hedged. There was also a recent question regarding staying on WLs post CTE, and whether the WL schools were enforcing the "suggestion" that they not do so. I actually don't think that matters as long as they are going to follow the recommendation and not offer acceptances to their WL candidates that have CTE'd elsewhere. This leads to my question, the answer to which might very well explain why the AAMC is breaking its figurative arms patting itself on the back -- to the point, do you know of any schools actually pulling anyone off WLs that have CTE'd elsewhere? Have you heard of any CTEs breaking their commitments? If not, then the system is working exactly as designed, despite the relative lack of visibility. As long as there is no last minute chaos and all seats are filled, wouldn't you agree that this system could fairly be declared a success, at least from the perspective of the schools, notwithstanding the increased anxiety of WL candidates who are not seeing the movement they would like, in a more convenient time frame?
I have spoken to colleagues who believe that CTE's do not exclude candidates who would prefer to be accepted off a WL.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have spoken to colleagues who believe that CTE's do not exclude candidates who would prefer to be accepted off a WL.
@gyngyn -- I have no doubt, but if the WL schools play by the "rules" and don't offer them an acceptance (since the schools can see who they are) then it doesn't matter what they prefer, and the potential chaos will not ensue. That is my question -- you are plugged in, and plenty of schools have had CTE deadlines pass and there has been some WL movement at those schools -- to your knowledge, has any school so far honored another school's CTE acceptee's preference and pulled that person in from its WL? If not, what makes you think it's going to happen next month? Why do you think schools will actually pull in a higher ranked WL person who has CTE'd elsewhere over someone on the WL who has not?

You have stated previously that there is not a lot of difference between applicants on a given WL. Why open the can of worms when it can be avoided by avoiding candidates who have CTE'd? Other than drawing from your prior years' experience where limited poaching was acceptable, why do you think CTE will be ignored on a scale sufficient to induce a lot of movement, when there is no good reason from the schools' perspective to do so? What great benefit would accrue to the schools from the last minute musical chairs, versus simply limiting WL offers to candidates that would not be forced to break a commitment in order to accept an offer?

Based on everything that has been reported on SDN so far, it honestly looks like you and your colleagues served your institutions well given the situation this year, and less acceptances have led to less multiple acceptances, which have led to less WL movement. It seems as though most PTEs are converting to CTEs, and the balance will convert when the hoped for last minute large WL movement does not materialize. Whatever spots are opened up when those relatively few remaining folks with multiple PTEs choose a CTE will go to those on WLs who have not CTE'd elsewhere, if that indeed has been what has been happening to date. Chaos will not reign, AAMC will do its victory dance for a successful rejiggering of the system, and going forward candidates will have to learn to live with having less choice due to less initial acceptances leading to less multiple acceptances, and less WL movement.

Based on what you have seen so far, do you still think there is a reasonable chance that schools will ignore CTE designations and intentionally create vacancies at other schools when filling their own holes, when they have a perfectly viable alternative that does not cause that result? Aren't all schools better off if no school does this? If you think this could happen, but it hasn't happened yet, what is different about the schools with upcoming CTE deadlines as compared to those whose deadlines have already passed?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I do this too bro. You are not alone. #hellodarknessmyoldfriend #butreally #wegotthis
Hey fam. Have you been able to get any info about our VCU waitlist? I called the admissions office one but they gave generic info. I wish I knew if I was towards the top of the list

Hey fam. Have you been able to get any info about our VCU waitlist? I called the admissions office one but they gave generic info. I wish I knew if I was towards the top of the list

No new info from me I'm afraid. I only know what people have posted on sdn. Every time I've sent an update to the admissions office I get a "thank you" response email. But hey, at least they are confirming receipt of updates. If I do get any new info I will post tout suite!

ICYMI, someone just posted they were accepted from the waitlist at Hopkins today, and giving up their spot at another top university. Get ready for that trickle down ripple y'all... :lol: #fingerscrossed #anyhopeisstillhope

Reactions: 7 users
@gyngyn

You have stated previously that there is not a lot of difference between applicants on a given WL.

Based on what you have seen so far, do you still think there is a reasonable chance that schools will ignore CTE designations and intentionally create vacancies at other schools when filling their own holes, when they have a perfectly viable alternative that does not cause that result? Aren't all schools better off if no school does this? If you think this could happen, but it hasn't happened yet, what is different about the schools with upcoming CTE deadlines as compared to those whose deadlines have already passed?
If I said something that led you to infer that there is little variability in the WL, my apologies. There is wide variety in WL candidates and some of them are much more highly stratified than others.

Yes, I do believe that a highly stratified candidate who has affirmed a credible desire for a WL school rather than a school with an artificially early CTE date will still be considered by the WL school. I have no independent knowledge of it happening...yet.

When there were rules, we all played by them. Now, we have bullying by schools that would not have been permitted before. I do have reliable information that schools have been calling and emailing to coerce compliance with an arbitrary CTE deadline.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
If I said something that led you to infer that there is little variability in the WL, my apologies. There is wide variety in WL candidates and some of them are much more highly stratified than others.

Yes, I do believe that a highly stratified candidate who has affirmed a credible desire for a WL school rather than a school with an artificially early CTE date will still be considered by the WL school. I have no independent knowledge of it happening...yet.

When there were rules, we all played by them. Now, we have bullying by schools that would not have been permitted before. I do have reliable information that schools have been calling and emailing to coerce compliance with an arbitrary CTE deadline.
@gyngyn -- thanks again for the invaluable insight, and sorry for misunderstanding your earlier comment regarding WL candidates. I fully expected the bullying by schools who want to firm up the class, and ignoring CTE status also wouldn't shock me but for the fact that, in the intermediate and long run it would be so mutually destructive. I'll believe that schools are not going to use the tool and simply pluck their more desirable WL candidates who have CTE'd elsewhere off the WL when you see it! There is a reason the world didn't end during the Cold War! :)

@gyngyn -- thanks again for the invaluable insight, and sorry for misunderstanding your earlier comment regarding WL candidates. I fully expected the bullying by schools who want to firm up the class, and ignoring CTE status also wouldn't shock me but for the fact that, in the intermediate and long run it would be so mutually destructive. I'll believe that schools are not going to use the tool and simply pluck their more desirable WL candidates who have CTE'd elsewhere off the WL when you see it! There is a reason the world didn't end during the Cold War! :)
Not really. Schools are used to having students poached. The only new wrinkle is the use of CTE as an arbitrary shield.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Would it be weird to make sure vaccines/TB test were up to date just in case I somehow miraculously get pulled off the waitlist last minute?

Members don't see this ad :)
Would it be weird to make sure vaccines/TB test were up to date just in case I somehow miraculously get pulled off the waitlist last minute?
It is never a bad time to ensure you have a prepared immune system and do not have any infections.

• Haha
Reactions: 12 users
It is never a bad time to ensure you have a prepared immune system and do not have any infections.
Vaccines were created by the Illuminati as a form of mind control. Change my mind.

• Haha
Vaccines were created by the Illuminati as a form of mind control. Change my mind.
That's a rumor created by Russia in an attempt to weaken the immunity of the United States. Educate yourself fool.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
It is a very good idea. I did that just in case and it helped tremendously with the already long list of matriculation tasks. And if you don't get in you won't have to worry about it next yr.

If you previously wrote an update letter that you were scheduled to present your research on x date at y event, and that date has passed and you have presented, should you write another letter saying that you did or is that too redundant?

When a school you're waitlisted at sends you an interview invite for this upcoming cycle, idk if I should be happy or mixed. I saw the email and at first thought it was a waitlist offer, but hey can't be mad at an II (I am a tx res btw cycle is a little earlier)

Reactions: 2 users
Which texas school is already sending out II? That is an interesting development. Currently on Tx WL too but decided not to apply this cycle and focus on some post-bac classes and try again in 2020.

Which texas school is already sending out II? That is an interesting development. Currently on Tx WL too but decided not to apply this cycle and focus on some post-bac classes and try again in 2020.
utmb, tech also sent some out yesterday

Congrats - I have already technically moved on from my Tech Lubbock WL hopes in taking time off (2nd application cycle) to focus on nailing this thing next year with some improvements but then again there is this stupid little voice that says well maybe - just maybe get a hail Mary.

Congrats - I have already technically moved on from my Tech Lubbock WL hopes in taking time off (2nd application cycle) to focus on nailing this thing next year with some improvements but then again there is this stupid little voice that says well maybe - just maybe get a hail Mary.
wishing you the best good luck

Definitely do this! I had my Hep B titers done and, even though I have the 3 dose vaccine, I showed no immunity. Had to restart the series which takes about 7 months. It's a pain!

Definitely do this! I had my Hep B titers done and, even though I have the 3 dose vaccine, I showed no immunity. Had to restart the series which takes about 7 months. It's a pain!

I had the same issue. Just started the series again. :/

Reactions: 1 users
I had soon-to-be M1's at UCSF and UCSD look over my app before my 1st cycle. They thought my app was strong enough to get in somewhere. Given that I am applying back-to-back cycles now, and the schools that WLed me won't give me feedback (1 won't ever, 1 will in August), I can't help but wonder if I am missing necessary feedback to improve. This could result in me applying a 3rd time.

I really wish I knew if I was at the bottom, top, etc. Of the waitlists. It would give me a better idea of the strength of my app

Reactions: 3 users
So I emailed my WL school on Wednesday night telling them I have a CTE deadline coming up and reiterating my interest in their school. I also put the context of the email in a word doc and uploaded that to the portal. However, they never acknowledged my email, and they always have before... should I call them on Monday to verify that they saw my email? Just getting antsy because my CTE deadline is July 8th..

all i ask is for some poaching to begin so that i can get off the wl at one of 3 schools. is that too much to ask for in the dark and troubled times. if jhu can have wl mvmt this late in the game, why not the rest of the top 20???

Reactions: 11 users
Went to my WL school thread and saw someone post they got accepted off the WL yesterday. My heart sank for a second because I didnt get an acceptance & thus there's less available spots. But the person said they would decline. I said "thank god!" aloud.

Thanks med schools and SDN for doing this to me...haha

• Haha
Reactions: 9 users
Realizing that this week, more than likely, will determine everything for me is frightening.

That's a mood fam. If I don't have an acceptance letter in my inbox in 13 days then it is over for me. Which, given the slow pace, is likely to be the outcome. Y I K E S
Yay for final days of constant wondering and crying!

That's a mood fam. If I don't have an acceptance letter in my inbox in 13 days then it is over for me. Which, given the slow pace, is likely to be the outcome. Y I K E S

Is the 13 days until your CTE or when school starts? Cuz if it's your CTE then I think you'd still have a chance

So I was recently invited to write a scientific article (not a paper), which will definitely be published next Month. Do you think this is worthy of an update so late in the game?

Got off the waitlist at one of my top schools on Friday. I’m done waiting! Thanks for all the support everyone, stay strong and don’t lose hope.

Reactions: 32 users
Most definitely!

Thank you for the reply! Then I am a little unsure as to how to phrase it in my update letter. So what happened was that the director of this journal reached out to me for an “expert point of view” article. Do you think it’d be wise to mention I was invited with an honorarium or does that sound arrogant?

Have people been noticing lots of WL movt at their respective waitlisted med schools few days following the CTE or has it been very little movement?

Have people been noticing lots of WL movt at their respective waitlisted med schools few days following the CTE or has it been very little movement?

Dartmouth, Duke, Emory, Hofstra, UKansas, ULouisville, and UVA all have their CTE deadlines tomorrow so you can check out their school-specific threads over the next week

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
The deadline for UofL is tomorrow, and I don’t even know what I’m feeling anymore. It’s a pretty weird combination of fear, hopelessness, and slight hope. I think more than anything I’m ready to get this week done and over with. I’ve been dealing with this waitlist fiasco since October and my brain needs a break.

Reactions: 5 users
The deadline for UofL is tomorrow, and I don’t even know what I’m feeling anymore. It’s a pretty weird combination of fear, hopelessness, and slight hope. I think more than anything I’m ready to get this week done and over with. I’ve been dealing with this waitlist fiasco since October and my brain needs a break.

CTE for my school was last Thursday and school starts in two weeks. I have a weird hope because my school is notorious for last minute acceptances but at the same time. Can't wait for this to be over too. I definitely feel ya

I hope you guys hear good news. But at the same time, I hope you are able to use this time to be well-prepared and reflective of your experiences so that you can excel in possible future application cycles, and in preparedness for the challenges ahead in medical school as well as your role, commitment, and impact on patient lives. That may sound cheesy or unnecessary, but it will breed respect, future success, and fulfillment on this long and demanding journey. For me, this has been true before, in the face of many future potential application cycles, and after acceptance. All of the work, debt, volunteering, writing that I put in re-applying as an older applicant was not a waste at all, and is fruitful for certain programs within the school, the direction that I want to take in medicine, who I want to reach out to and form connections with, and future residency and practice.

Time and life are valuable, and you can use this time to grow, forge your path, and make a difference in meaningful ways, large or small. I held true to that, even accepting rejection in this cycle while still being prepared for any outcome, and I hope that you guys will be able to rise and meet that challenge of commitment and vision so that it may carry you through the sacrifices, rejection, and delayed gratification. There are too many stories out there of amazing physicians who required, and are thankful, of their multiple application cycles as well as the success of re-applicants in this very thread.

TLDR; Time is valuable and can be used to prepare and better succeed in medical school and beyond in endless ways. Make effort to take advantage of and appreciate life through these difficult times, also improving your confidence and chances of admission. GL with the CTE dates and here is hoping to continued movement.

Reactions: 6 users
Got off the waitlist at one of my top schools on Friday. I’m done waiting! Thanks for all the support everyone, stay strong and don’t lose hope.
Congrats! Mind if I ask which school?

Status
Not open for further replies.