This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes. It wouldn't be a transfer so to speak. You would just withdraw, leaving a seat permanently unfilled if it's past orientation and you will start at the next school. Messed up, but possible with the new traffic rules.

Seems like that's just a suggestion and can only be enforced if the schools require it. So weird.
If someone actually does this, I’m curious where they are getting the money to presumably move multiple times on short notice....along with tons of other questions about that person’s ethics. I’m sure you could come up with a few scenarios to justify this action, BUT it just really seems like a loser move, that will likely have negative implications for their career later on. People talk and if someone pulls something like this, important higher ups will most certainly remember the name of that student and not for good reason.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
If someone actually does this, I’m curious where they are getting the money to presumably move multiple times on short notice....along with tons of other questions about that person’s ethics. I’m sure you could come up with a few scenarios to justify this action, BUT it just really seems like a loser move, that will likely have negative implications for their career later on. People talk and if someone pulls something like this, important higher ups will most certainly remember the name of that student and not for good reason.
You really think an adcom is going to remember an applicant who left their school 4 years later? I highly doubt that.

Reactions: 2 users
Yes. It wouldn't be a transfer so to speak. You would just withdraw, leaving a seat permanently unfilled if it's past orientation and you will start at the next school. Messed up, but possible with the new traffic rules.

I personally do not think it would be a good idea for anyone to do this, unless there is a SIGNIFICANT difference in the schools. You are likely going to get a similar education at multiple schools you are accepted to because they are likely to have similar STATs because they both accepted you. It would leave an empty seat and put another applicant out of a seat they could have. I think once you commit to enroll somewhere and you start at that school, then you should hold to your commitment. Unless the difference in the schools were drastic which again is not likely to be the case.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You really think an adcom is going to remember an applicant who left their school 4 years later? I highly doubt that.
Absolutely. People tend to remember when someone behaves unprofessionally and/or screws them over. This is just a fact of life.

All 3 main branches of the military struggle with wastefulness.
I am not talking about wastefulness specifically here , I am talking about “oh , this method completely screwed things up last time ? Let’s do it again “... hahaha . Happens every time .

Ok time to sleep . Anatomy exam on Thursday FML. This thread is more fun and intense than any of my Tv shows

I am not talking about wastefulness specifically here , I am talking about “oh , this method completely screwed things up last time ? Let’s do it again “... hahaha . Happens every time .

Ok time to sleep . Anatomy exam on Thursday FML. This thread is more fun and intense than any of my Tv shows

Yes but they abandon projects for new ones that also don’t work. Leading to wastefulness lol.

@gyngyn would adcoms be negatively inclined to accept someone off the waitlist if they know that he/she have already begun classes somewhere else? I am wondering if I screwed my chances by letting a school know that my other accepted program begins early June, although I made it clear I'd commit if accepted.

I don't think it will hurt their career in any way, but who knows. It's not illegal and I think it's unethical for mulitiple schools to discuss specific students. I mean if their new school allows it shame on them not the student. They could not be moving at all or moving to be with a spouse or kids or a free ride, who knows. I'm more concerned that a med school seat would be unfilled and less concerned with the person's ethics as we all know this process can be torture and many things go in to which school you attend. Especially considering how the new rules are leaving students scrambling and hanging.

Absolutely. People tend to remember when someone behaves unprofessionally and/or screws them over. This is just a fact of life.

Unless the person in med school admission is also handling residency applications I doubt it matters. Would be petty to hold a grudge for 4 years especially if the student had no ill intent.

I don't think it will hurt their career in any way, but who knows. It's not illegal and I think it's unethical for mulitiple schools to discuss specific students. I mean if their new school allows it shame on them not the student. They could not be moving at all or moving to be with a spouse or kids or a free ride, who knows. I'm more concerned that a med school seat would be unfilled and less concerned with the person's ethics as we all know this process can be torture and many things go in to which school you attend. Especially considering how the new rules are leaving students scrambling and hanging.

Unless the person in med school admission is also handling residency applications I doubt it matters. Would be petty to hold a grudge for 4 years especially if the student had no ill intent.

Intent is irrelevant.

To you sure. I was just sharing my perspective.

Ok. Though I sincerely disagree with your implication that this hypothetical situation wouldn’t be that big of a deal. The end result of this kind of situation would cause a seat to be unfilled which means that someone would have to reapply simply because someone else was too selfish. We can disagree on whether the intent of that is “ill” or not.

Members don't see this ad :)
@gyngyn when a student CTEs at your school, I've got a couple questions:

1. Can you (adcoms) see if they have withdrawn all other As/WLs at that time?
  2. Can you see the school names of the other As/WLs that student is continuing to hold?
If the answer is no to both (1) and (2), then do we really think the CTE deadlines for each school are going to solve anything if they're just as unenforceable as the PTE lol?

And even if the answer to (1) is yes and (2) is no, will adcoms hesitate to pull the trigger and rescind an A on a CTE student who they obviously want, but don't want to lay down the hammer on since they don't know who the ongoing competition is for that student? To top it all off, the CTE deadlines are distributed across June-July, and so school X (that student CTEed at) might speculate that Student_We_Really_Want is probably just waiting for the CTE deadline at school Y whose identity we don't know and whose CTE deadline might differ from ours.

This is just the most asinine system imaginable. And the excuse that the AAMC is 'figuring things out' with this first year of rule changes is just ridiculous, we're talking some very simple logistical guideline setting here, not landing on Mars. I'm very fortunate to have an A somewhere at this point so I'm thankful I'm not at least in the re-applying limbo (bless everyone's heart who is in this position, I truly hope you get some answers soon :). But there is some really annoying WL limbo that is preventing me from finalizing a lease/purchasing a car and all the other life stuff that accompanies starting medical school.

Last edited:
  • Angry
Well i feel i May potentially be in this situation. I’ve been accepted to a DO a school 8 hours away and have an MD waitlist at my local state school ~15 minutes away that’s about 25k cheaper. Waitlist movement is up until the first week in August for the state school and the DO starts 3rd week in July so it’s possigle i could be pulled off the waitlist after the start of classes. and i would 100% take the state school over the school im currently accepted at if i had the opportunity. but What happens with loans and such if i paid tuition already. You can withdraw from the wchool with refund up to a certain date but I’m not sure what happens with my loans if i decides to go to a different school?

Reactions: 5 users
Well i feel i May potentially be in this situation. I’ve been accepted to a DO a school 8 hours away and have an MD waitlist at my local state school ~15 minutes away that’s about 25k cheaper. Waitlist movement is up until the first week in August for the state school and the DO starts 3rd week in July so it’s possigle i could be pulled off the waitlist after the start of classes. and i would 100% take the state school over the school im currently accepted at if i had the opportunity. but What happens with loans and such if i paid tuition already. You can withdraw from the wchool with refund up to a certain date but I’m not sure what happens with my loans if i decides to go to a different school?
@OchemOficionado since you responded to the original poster about the “transferring” maybe you could answer?

Reactions: 1 users
I’m in a similar position with similar timelines. I too have not been able to find an answer about this anywhere.

Reactions: 4 users
I’m in a similar position with similar timelines. I too have not been able to find an answer about this anywhere.
This is all I could find on this situation!

Ok. Though I sincerely disagree with your implication that this hypothetical situation wouldn’t be that big of a deal. The end result of this kind of situation would cause a seat to be unfilled which means that someone would have to reapply simply because someone else was too selfish. We can disagree on whether the intent of that is “ill” or not.

Ok, and I mentioned that in my original post, lol. I don’t know if I’d consider the last minute life changing decision to be selfish, but I said leaving a seat unfilled will suck. Let’s just agree to disagree on the entire subject. I didn’t respond to the other users question to start a debate.

@OchemOficionado since you responded to the original poster about the “transferring” maybe you could answer?

You can cancel your loans once they have disbursed up to a certain date. What’s most important is meeting your school’s “last day to drop with a refund date” because they will automatically send your loans back once your withdrawal paperwork has been processed (sometimes they are only required to send back a partial amount as you may have attended classes and “earned” some of your aid, but you can always request it to be all sent back or you can simply pay it back to your loan services). Even if you’ve received a refund already they will send the federal funds back to the Dept of Ed and you’ll owe the school itself, but your fed aid will be free to use at a different school. I’m sure this issue isn’t new to fin aid offices and that they work with students with other FAFSA delays. If you’re worried please call the fin aid department and they can explain much more clearly than I. Hope that helps!

Last edited:
Ok, and I mentioned that in my original post. I don’t know if I’f consider the last minute life changing decision to be selfish, but I said leaving a seat unfilled will suck. Let’s just agree to disagree on the entire subject.
Whatever helps you sleep at night!

Whatever helps you sleep at night!

I’ve always slept soundly. I was never conflicted over this hypothetically ethical dilemma. People should do what’s best for themselves. I try not to judge and certainly don’t take other’s actions personally.

It’s okay to not agree, I just don’t think we should debate every little thing.

• Haha
Reactions: 13 users
I haven’t been following this thread too much, but does anyone else suspect that their school did this:

1) Only give out acceptances = class size
2) Prior to April 30, rank waitlist
3) See that X people dropped acceptances on April 30
4) May 1, accept 1-X on waitlist

Kinda sucks and makes me feel like I’m out of it already, although there will of course be some more movement.

• Sad
Just called 2 of my WL schools and all the first one could tell me was that they “accept students up until orientation” the second one told me that the ADCOM was out of the office today and to call back tomorrow if I had questions regarding the WL....

Not sure if that means that they are genuinely out of the office or if that means that they could be meeting.

@gyngyn any insight?

Does anyone know if there’s a deadline when we have to accept our financial aid packages by if we’re still waiting on a waitlist? Or if we should accept them at all if we aren’t 100% sure we’re going yet? I’m worried that accepting the aid will mean I have to go to that school. This whole thing has been confusing for me

Does anyone know if there’s a deadline when we have to accept our financial aid packages by if we’re still waiting on a waitlist? Or if we should accept them at all if we aren’t 100% sure we’re going yet? I’m worried that accepting the aid will mean I have to go to that school. This whole thing has been confusing for me
It depends on the school. I would ask the financial aid department where you are accepted.

I have never posted on SDN before (silent reader- I know, the worst), but I need to rant. I am currently on four waitlists with no acceptances. Mostly silence on individual school threads. When I started applying to schools last summer, I was so excited for the opportunity to become a doctor, a lifelong dream of mine. Today, my anxiety is through the roof, I can't sleep, and I am significantly less excited about my future in medicine. I am a strong applicant, I know that, but this past year my confidence has been rocked. I don't understand how these schools expect students to continuously show enthusiasm about attending when they might just pull us off a waitlist in July, three days before classes start. Do they expect us to just pack up and move, stay in a hotel until we find housing, and be thrown into classes? (this is rhetorical- I know the answer is yes). I don't have the money to apply to medical school 7 times. This entire process is so poorly designed. Why can't it be like undergrad- all schools have the same commitment deadline. The best part is that schools expect you to be professional and abide by the PTE/CTE deadlines through AMCAS, only send one letter of intent, etc, etc, etc. Meanwhile, they are showing absolutely no respect for their future students. I hate being a part of this system.

I know this has all been said before, but I am mad, so ranting on the internet seemed like a logical choice.

Reactions: 45 users
I have never posted on SDN before (silent reader- I know, the worst), but I need to rant. I am currently on four waitlists with no acceptances. Mostly silence on individual school threads. When I started applying to schools last summer, I was so excited for the opportunity to become a doctor, a lifelong dream of mine. Today, my anxiety is through the roof, I can't sleep, and I am significantly less excited about my future in medicine. I am a strong applicant, I know that, but this past year my confidence has been rocked. I don't understand how these schools expect students to continuously show enthusiasm about attending when they might just pull us off a waitlist in July, three days before classes start. Do they expect us to just pack up and move, stay in a hotel until we find housing, and be thrown into classes? (this is rhetorical- I know the answer is yes). I don't have the money to apply to medical school 7 times. This entire process is so poorly designed. Why can't it be like undergrad- all schools have the same commitment deadline. The best part is that schools expect you to be professional and abide by the PTE/CTE deadlines through AMCAS, only send one letter of intent, etc, etc, etc. Meanwhile, they are showing absolutely no respect for their future students. I hate being a part of this system.

I know this has all been said before, but I am mad, so ranting on the internet seemed like a logical choice.
Hang in there from a fellow lurker.

Reactions: 6 users

I know this is such a stereotypical thing to say, but as someone going through the same thing... grab your pup (or yourself!) and go on a nice long walk/hike, preferably in nature if you can. Listen to a good podcast, or an audiobook, and let yourself get lost. I had to go do this Monday and for 2 sweet hours I didn't think about anything... (>'.')> *virtual hug*

Reactions: 10 users

Sorry for such a large image.

• Love
Reactions: 12 users
like i said. sit, wait, and zhitpost is all we can do... and reapply... we can reapply :(:(

• Wow
The waiting doesn’t piss me off anymore.

What infuriates me is the notion that seats might do unfilled.

Reactions: 5 users

preach brotha

Reactions: 2 users
Accepted! It took a 4.0 in an SMP, but I got in...5 year applying

• Love
Reactions: 74 users

Let's not sit and pretend that applicants don't have preferences when it comes to school choice. You're assuming the adcoms are naive/unable to deal with a situation such as this, which they aren't.

In my experience, the military is pretty loathe to abandon projects for the very reason that they’ve already invested money into them.

I don’t want to start a debate about this because this is not on topic. However, I will say that there has been tons of research showing that anywhere between a third to half the military budget is not spent wisely.

I don’t want to start a debate about this because this is not on topic. However, I will say that there has been tons of research showing that anywhere between a third to half the military budget is not spent wisely.

Yeah I’ve seen that stuff. There is a difference between the military wasting money by abandoning projects (which actually doesn’t happen that often because once you spend billions on something you tend to want to try to use it) and what actually causes the ridiculous spending. I’ve mentioned it before, but one of the biggest causes of waste is in the money we pay to civilian contractors. The people we get our stuff from have contracts with the government, so the services only have a few options to choose from (and in some cases only one), which means they charge ridiculous amounts of money. They also have a thing called lowest replaceable items, which is the smallest part you can reorder on a piece of equipment. Often you will have a single thing that is damaged and would cost dollars to replace, but you are required to replace the whole component which costs more money.

I can go on and on about it, but I won’t unless you want to talk about it in a PM or something. The government definitely wastes money, but it is not mostly due to unwise spending (well I guess not in the way I inferred from your post).

I’m not published on it, but I do have 7 years of experience actually being in the military and seeing the bureaucracy in action. *shrug*

Status
Not open for further replies.