2019-2020 Carle-Illinois

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I also did not receive updates earlier in the week. However, it sounds like the itinerary they sent us was the most detailed bit we would get. Does it feel like any part of this will have some sort of interview? Sounds more like lectures all day. How can they decide who to accept based on that?
They got back to me about the "update" which was the same email I received back in December when I confirmed my attendance to the showcase.

I really want to know how they cut down from 300 showcase invites to a class of 40 students. Granted they may give up to 100 or so acceptances (I'm not sure what is a reasonable guess on acceptances for 40 spots), but that is still a significant cut down from those invited to the showcase. I just have a hard time believing we aren't being secretly evaluated. Maybe i'm paranoid lol.

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone else's flight been cancelled or travel hampered? I was scheduled to fly out this morning from SoCal, at first was delayed and then eventually cancelled. Talked to the airline and they said the earliest flights would be Monday so I'd be missing the showcase. Tried to reschedule into other airports in Ohio or Indiana to no avail. Just wondering if anyone else facing similar issues or are most people closer so they can drive?

Anyone else's flight been cancelled or travel hampered? I was scheduled to fly out this morning from SoCal, at first was delayed and then eventually cancelled. Talked to the airline and they said the earliest flights would be Monday so I'd be missing the showcase. Tried to reschedule into other airports in Ohio or Indiana to no avail. Just wondering if anyone else facing similar issues or are most people closer so they can drive?

Sorry to hear that, I had a similar situation today flying from SF but I was fortunate to have a heads-up a few days early about potentially bad weather in Chicago and I rerouted my flights to avoid ORD.

My flight still almost got cancelled anyways. Assuming you were originally flying AA to CMI, I'd say you could see if they'd fly you to St Louis instead and you could try renting a car / busing? Before my flight was cleared for boarding I was talking with AA about that option. According to Google flights a lot of flights still can be purchased for tomorrow arriving in STL so I'd assume they still have availability to put you on those flights.

The only nonstops that I see flying to CMI tomorrow depart from ORD, but that'll be tough to line up because 1000+ flights were just cancelled in Chicago, so a lot of people are trying to get into Chicago or stuck in Chicago and trying to get out. So if STL doesn't work out, you could try looking into other nearby airports relatively unaffected by the weather / cancellations yesterday, since you won't have to fight a backlog of flyers.

For what it's worth there was no availability to fly into BMI or PIA when I asked, but you never know, things could change there as well. Good luck, hope this helps if you're still trying to make it here!

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry to hear that, I had a similar situation today flying from SF but I was fortunate to have a heads-up a few days early about potentially bad weather in Chicago and I rerouted my flights to avoid ORD.

My flight still almost got cancelled anyways. Assuming you were originally flying AA to CMI, I'd say you could see if they'd fly you to St Louis instead and you could try renting a car / busing? Before my flight was cleared for boarding I was talking with AA about that option. According to Google flights a lot of flights still can be purchased for tomorrow arriving in STL so I'd assume they still have availability to put you on those flights.

The only nonstops that I see flying to CMI tomorrow depart from ORD, but that'll be tough to line up because 1000+ flights were just cancelled in Chicago, so a lot of people are trying to get into Chicago or stuck in Chicago and trying to get out. So if STL doesn't work out, you could try looking into other nearby airports relatively unaffected by the weather / cancellations yesterday, since you won't have to fight a backlog of flyers.

For what it's worth there was no availability to fly into BMI or PIA when I asked, but you never know, things could change there as well. Good luck, hope this helps if you're still trying to make it here!

What?! Are flights to ORD canceled? I fly to ORD tomorrow!

Yeah I tried everything. Tried standby today no luck. Even paying for a new ticket won't work because they're all severely overbooked. I decided to fly in a day early to checkout the town on the weekend to miss less work, but if I had decided to do that after I'd honestly be fine as far as flights which is frustrating.

What?! Are flights to ORD canceled? I fly to ORD tomorrow!

Yesterday there were huge delays that canceled hundreds of flights but I believe flights today won't be impacted that way.

Yeah I tried everything. Tried standby today no luck. Even paying for a new ticket won't work because they're all severely overbooked. I decided to fly in a day early to checkout the town on the weekend to miss less work, but if I had decided to do that after I'd honestly be fine as far as flights which is frustrating.

I'm sorry to hear that. I hope the admission committee would be kind enough to accommodate your situation. I wish you luck this cycle!

I'm sorry to hear that. I hope the admission committee would be kind enough to accommodate your situation. I wish you luck this cycle!

You don’t have to attend the showcase to be considered for admission, you just have to be invited. In other words, it’s not the end of the world if you can’t go.

Was there any mention of when we should start hearing back about A/R/Waitlists?

From what I understood, there will be a few lucky souls from this 3rd showcase that will get a decision next week. All others, including the previous 2 showcase attendies which haven't hea d anything, will be on a silent waitlist which will be narrowed down by March. I heard a number of 10 spots being available.

Reactions: 1 users
From what I understood, there will be a few lucky souls from this 3rd showcase that will get a decision next week. All others, including the previous 2 showcase attendies which haven't hea d anything, will be on a silent waitlist which will be narrowed down by March. I heard a number of 10 spots being available.

Pretty high chances then...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
What I don't understand is that they'd extend up to 80 acceptances total for 40 spots. Why not invite just 160? That should give them enough insurance to fill those spots.

What I don't understand is that they'd extend up to 80 acceptances total for 40 spots. Why not invite just 160? That should give them enough insurance to fill those spots.

During the showcase, I got the impression that they didn’t really have any good predictions on students that would end up matriculating - alluding to the lack of guaranteed scholarships as the primary culprit. May explain the generous number of showcase invites.

Also, they’re new and are prolly just trying to get their name out there. Not many people recognize this school yet, ime.

Reactions: 1 user
During the showcase, I got the impression that they didn’t really have any good predictions on students that would end up matriculating - alluding to the lack of guaranteed scholarships as the primary culprit. May explain the generous number of showcase invites.

Also, they’re new and are prolly just trying to get their name out there. Not many people recognize this school yet, ime.

The showcase was very impressive though. Everything's well planned and structured.

Also, everyone knows supply and demand. They'd have a plethora of students wanting to matriculate.

The showcase was very impressive though. Everything's well planned and structured.

Also, everyone knows supply and demand. They'd have a plethora of students wanting to matriculate.

yes I mean most schools interview many more than they can ever dream of accepting. I dont see this as any different. They may not call it an interivew but it really is....just of a different structure!

At the first showcase they said they’d accept a few stellar applicants afterwards but most people could expect to hear back in January. So did they change it since then and now there’s very few spots left and we can expect to hear in March? I’m so confused

At the first showcase they said they’d accept a few stellar applicants afterwards but most people could expect to hear back in January. So did they change it since then and now there’s very few spots left and we can expect to hear in March? I’m so confused

It looks like they are working with very limited historical data. They are trying to ensure that they have 40 and only 40. They don't have the luxury to go over (even by one - what they said). They also mentioned that once they have the waitlist narrowed down, they are going to be removing people from the waitlist on a one-to-one accepted person turning down an acceptance to removing someone from the waitlist.

Showcase was very well organized and offered answers to many questions. They have a great support network. Small class size with personalized curriculum and caring staff

Okay, so here is what I learned about the admin process at the showcase.

Just under 3000 applicants. Each applicant is reviewed by at least 2 different faculty members and score the applications. The person review the application takes at least 45 minutes per application and is only allowed to watch the video last in order to reduce bias. Based on the average score applicants receive from this review, just under 300 showcase attendance offers are given.

With this most recent showcase on Monday, a subcommittee will now meet on Thursday from 8 am to 5 pm and go over each showcase attendee in depth. Some time in between Monday and Thursday an experience subcommittee member will completely review up to 10 applicants. In front of the subcommittee, each experienced subcommittee member will make the case of why their applicant show be accepted, and this subcommittee will all give a score to the applicant anonymously and electronically. From there, the average of all the scores is assigned to the applicant.

Then on Friday, the next day, the subcommittee will reconvene to review the scores for each applicant and there will be an opportunity for committee members to make cases why an individual score for an applicant should be higher or lower.

Then the following Tuesday, this subcommittee will present their top candidates for acceptance to the full admissions committee. The full admissions committee will then offer acceptances that week to a hand full of candidates (about 10 was the number given). If you are not given an acceptance next week, you will be on the silent waitlist and more acceptances will trickle out. I was not told how many acceptances were currently given, but they said by March 15th they expect to have their initial 80 acceptances given. After that there will only be 1 for 1 swap acceptances given when the total number of accepted students drops below 40. This can go on as late as the week before class which was the latest acceptance given last year.

I was super impressed with the whole school, curriculum, transparency about the process, and caliber of the faculty. Really hope I get in lol. I now think this school is exactly how I would make a medical school if I could build exactly what I wanted.

Reactions: 4 users
DAE feel that the small group PBL activity was kind of like the interview where they assessed you mostly during your time there?

good luck to everyone!!

Last edited:
DAE feel that the small group PBL activity was kind of like the interview where they assessed you mostly during your time there?
I actually did not at all. I was seated right next to the medical student who was in the room with us and he only wrote down our names at the very beginning and never wrote anything down. I also believe them that they were possibly only taking notes as part of research into their PBL style.

Additionally, they said they were filming throughout the day to help see how the flow of the showcases went. They are looking into how they will change admissions when they move from 40 students to classes of 64 students. They are trying to determine the maximum number of students they can have attending one showcases to determine if they want to add more showcases or just have 3 showcases with more attendees.

I actually did not at all. I was seated right next to the medical student who was in the room with us and he only wrote down our names at the very beginning and never wrote anything down. I also believe them that they were possibly only taking notes as part of research into their PBL style.

Additionally, they said they were filming throughout the day to help see how the flow of the showcases went. They are looking into how they will change admissions when they move from 40 students to classes of 64 students. They are trying to determine the maximum number of students they can have attending one showcases to determine if they want to add more showcases or just have 3 showcases with more attendees.

I thought they've always had 60ish for the past 2 years and this year it's 40.?

I agree, during my PBL I also sat next to the med student, and the facilitator only wrote down our preferred names & like one or two notes regarding the different things we mentioned during the activity (for example, one person in our room was the "cardiac" person because they kept relating all of the diagnoses to a heart-condition origin. Could be wrong though, this whole admissions process is quite the black box!

I agree, during my PBL I also sat next to the med student, and the facilitator only wrote down our preferred names & like one or two notes regarding the different things we mentioned during the activity (for example, one person in our room was the "cardiac" person because they kept relating all of the diagnoses to a heart-condition origin. Could be wrong though, this whole admissions process is quite the black box!

Just to add neuroticism... Interviewers in any setting do not typically write anything down during interviews. Even those MMIs you had, no one was writing profusely (if at all) whilst the interview was taking place. They jot things down right after. Suffice to say, when the facilitator was not writing anything during your PBL, that did not mean you were not being assessed.

• Hmm
Just to add neuroticism... Interviewers in any setting do not typically write anything down during interviews. Even those MMIs you had, no one was writing profusely (if at all) whilst the interview was taking place. They jot things down right after. Suffice to say, when the facilitator was not writing anything during your PBL, that did not mean you were not being assessed.
1579302346384.png

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users
Then the following Tuesday, this subcommittee will present their top candidates for acceptance to the full admissions committee. The full admissions committee will then offer acceptances that week to a hand full of candidates (about 10 was the number given). If you are not given an acceptance next week, you will be on the silent waitlist and more acceptances will trickle out. I was not told how many acceptances were currently given, but they said by March 15th they expect to have their initial 80 acceptances given. After that there will only be 1 for 1 swap acceptances given when the total number of accepted students drops below 40. This can go on as late as the week before class which was the latest acceptance given last year.

Is that Tuesday supposed to be today, and are the acceptance offers supposed to be sent this week?

After the 2nd showcase, a few people from the first showcase got accepted or rejected-is it likely that a few from the first and second showcases will hear back this week too?

just trying to gauge how neurotic I’m going to be this week :/

After the 2nd showcase, a few people from the first showcase got accepted or rejected-is it likely that a few from the first and second showcases will hear back this week too?

just trying to gauge how neurotic I’m going to be this week :/

Yes, now is the time for neuroticism

Reactions: 2 users
With this most recent showcase on Monday, a subcommittee will now meet on Thursday from 8 am to 5 pm and go over each showcase attendee in depth. Some time in between Monday and Thursday an experience subcommittee member will completely review up to 10 applicants. In front of the subcommittee, each experienced subcommittee member will make the case of why their applicant show be accepted, and this subcommittee will all give a score to the applicant anonymously and electronically. From there, the average of all the scoresThen the following Tuesday, this subcommittee will present their top candidates for acceptance to the full admissions committee. The full admissions committee will then offer acceptances that week to a hand full of candidates (about 10 was the number given). If you are not given an acceptance next week, you will be on the silent waitlist and more acceptances will trickle out. I was not told how many acceptances were currently given, but they said by March 15th they expect to have their initial 80 acceptances given. After that there will only be 1 for 1 swap acceptances given when the total number of accepted students drops below 40. This can go on as late as the week before class which was the latest acceptance given last year.

Did you get the impression that’d they’d send out 80 acceptances and see how many stay after April? That seems kinda risky - what if they end up with more than 40?

Did you get the impression that’d they’d send out 80 acceptances and see how many stay after April? That seems kinda risky - what if they end up with more than 40?

They're engineers. They know how to Math and calculate Probability. I'd bet they'll play it conservatively at first too, and see how many bites they'd get.

Also, as Goro says: admissions deans use black magic to get the number of acceptances just right

Yes. I got the impression of 80 by March 15th and then see how many from there. They admitted they have limited data to base this on especially with the first class being bad data since everyone got a full tuition scholarship. But as ayjaystudent said, they are engineers and they seem confident that if they have 80 acceptances they will have at least 40 people withdraw their acceptance.

I don't have MSAR, but does that have any data about how many people were accepted last year to fill a class of 32?

I don't have MSAR, but does that have any data about how many people were accepted last year to fill a class of 32?

MSAR only has matriculation data, not acceptance.

I mean, they could just continue giving full-tuition scholarships. I would be ok with that.

MSAR only has matriculation data, not acceptance.

I mean, they could just continue giving full-tuition scholarships. I would be ok with that.

They already stopped that for their 2nd class, and was fine without it. They're interviewing for their 3rd class.

Accepted just now! From the January Showcase. I got an email to check the update in my portal. So excited to become a doctor!!

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 9 users