2019-2020 Carle-Illinois

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone been invited to the next showcase?
Got an invite to the next showcase on Jan 13th. They emailed me on Nov 18th and I was complete sometime around Sept 1st. Hope this helps!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I wonder how they would respond to asking about doing a PhD at UofI between M2 & M3?
Got an invite to the next showcase on Jan 13th. They emailed me on Nov 18th and I was complete sometime around Sept 1st. Hope this helps!
Yup, I'll see ya there!

I wonder how they would respond to asking about doing a PhD at UofI between M2 & M3?

People asked about this at the November showcase. They just said that it currently isn't funded like a standard MD/PhD. The PhD would likely be funded, but you wouldn't get a break on the MD tuition. They made it sound like they will support people in whatever they want to do (within reason).

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
People asked about this at the November showcase. They just said that it currently isn't funded like a standard MD/PhD. The PhD would likely be funded, but you wouldn't get a break on the MD tuition. They made it sound like they will support people in whatever they want to do (within reason).
That's what I was thinking - at least they're up to talking about it!

Accepted just now from the 11/4 showcase!!! :)

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
Accepted just now from the 11/4 showcase!!! :)

Your first??

edit: What is your degree?
I think we care more about your degree than your stats on this thread lol

• Haha
Rejected just now from the November Showcase :( Good luck everyone!

• Sad
Reactions: 4 users
Your first??

edit: What is your degree?
I think we care more about your degree than your stats on this thread lol
My first acceptance this cycle, yes.

I think my degree is the most common one here...
drum roll...

BS in Biomedical Engineering

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Accepted just now from the November showcase!!! OMG :soexcited:

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
Rejected from the September showcase. Good luck all.

• Sad
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Got any other computer science majors here?

Also received an acceptance today!! Attended the November showcase.

Reactions: 3 users
To those familiar with Urbana-Champaign, how is that city like? Is it very rural?

To those familiar with Urbana-Champaign, how is that city like? Is it very rural?
I'm not that familiar but when I drove over from Chicago (which is about 2 hours away) there was a whole lot of nothing in between. However, around the campus there seems to be a decent amount of food options and life from what I have seen.

It is a college town in the middle of a LOT of cornfields, a couple hours from Chicago, few hours from St. Louis: It’s not really a “city” but has your typical large state school stuff (cheap rent, cheap restaurants, cheap bars). It doesn’t have a small-town feel per say, but the university definitely makes up a majority of the area’s population. When the winds pick up in the warmer months, the smell of the south farms is quite something

You're a 10+ year member?! Wow. You've been premed for a decade.

I was a software engineer for a decade. Wanted to be a doctor when I was younger but 2008 happened and family needed money. One thing led to another and a decade goes by. Now I'm finally doing this for me, though schools haven't been very cooperative with my dreams lol

Reactions: 5 users
I was a software engineer for a decade. Wanted to be a doctor when I was younger but 2008 happened and family needed money. One thing led to another and a decade goes by. Now I'm finally doing this for me, though schools haven't been very cooperative with my dreams lol

Am sure you gonna get in somewhere! Stay at UC for that in-state tuition!

I'm late to sharing, but I got accepted from the November showcase!!!! I got the email on Nov 20th!

What airport is best to fly into to get to Carle? Also, what's the best to take (rail?) to travel from the airport to somewhere near the school? And I'm assuming you look for places to stay yourself and there are no student hosts?

What airport is best to fly into to get to Carle? Also, what's the best to take (rail?) to travel from the airport to somewhere near the school? And I'm assuming you look for places to stay yourself and there are no student hosts?
Personally, I flew to Chicago and took the Amtrak to Champaign. It was a lot cheaper for me to do that, but of course, took a bit longer. They have a med school rate of $99/night at the Hampton Inn which is like a 2 min walk from where the Showcase is held on campus. There was no information about student hosts.

I drove so I will only speak to the last one. I stayed at an Airbnb for $30 and it was great. Nice, clean place.

I'm flying to Chicago and driving my brother's car to Carle (along with a big roadtrip throughout the midwest, since I have Mizzou the week before). I'm also gonna do Airbnb since @CornFed can't get over his fantastic deal :D

• Haha
Just got an invite to the January 13th showcase! Secondary complete on September 14th.

Just wondering if there are any current M1s or M2s out there that can speak to how they are enjoying the culture of the school and the balance of focus on engineering/innovation and clinical care. I've not seen/heard from any current students on this thread and id be very interested in learning more. I plan to attend the second look weekend as well so looking forward to meeting others then!

Has anybody received the itinerary for the showcase next Monday?

What is the teaching method at Carle? Is it Flipped Classroom like most new schools are?

What is the teaching method at Carle? Is it Flipped Classroom like most new schools are?
From what they said at showcase, its mainly PBL. They do have some lecture, but not a whole lot. Also, you're exposed to the clinic within the first 2 weeks.

From what they said at showcase, its mainly PBL. They do have some lecture, but not a whole lot. Also, you're exposed to the clinic within the first 2 weeks.
What is PBL?

Actually, I just received a schedule today. Hopefully, you did as well. But the email also mentioned "updates that we sent you earlier in the week." I did not receive anything earlier this week. Anyone else going to the January showcase receive updates earlier in the week?

Actually, I just received a schedule today. Hopefully, you did as well. But the email also mentioned "updates that we sent you earlier in the week." I did not receive anything earlier this week. Anyone else going to the January showcase receive updates earlier in the week?

I would suggest you email them back regarding that wording to confirm it.

I would suggest you email them back regarding that wording to confirm it.
Yep, I replied to the email inquiring about it. They also have sent me a rejection email for having an MCAT below 498 (EDIT: previously sent this in August due to a mistake on their end) , so I would not be surprised if they messed up some sort of communication lol.

Last edited:
Yep, I replied to the email inquiring about it. They also have sent me a rejection email for having an MCAT below 498, so I would not be surprised if they messed up some sort of communication lol.

I'm confused. So they invited you to the Showcase then, but now they rescinded it and have rejected you?

I'm confused. So they invited you to the Showcase then, but now they rescinded it and have rejected you?
Sorry for being unclear. Back in August they sent me a rejection email for having an MCAT below 498. My MCAT score was greater than 498 so I emailed them. They rescinded the rejection and apologized and then sent me a showcase invite in December. So I already know they can mess up communication majorly so I am not surprised if they messed up again.

I didn't either. It's probably fine.

I also did not receive updates earlier in the week. However, it sounds like the itinerary they sent us was the most detailed bit we would get. Does it feel like any part of this will have some sort of interview? Sounds more like lectures all day. How can they decide who to accept based on that?