2019-2020 Carle-Illinois

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Would those accepted mind sharing their stats? I'm super excited for the showcase in November, not sure what to expect though!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I know a ChemE that also got accepted this cycle, but I have a feeling they will intentionally have some non-engineer major students in the class for diversity.

Would those accepted mind sharing their stats? I'm super excited for the showcase in November, not sure what to expect though!

cGPA: 3.8ish, MCAT: 515+

The showcase throws a lot of information at you about the school, and the schedule of the day given I would say gives a detailed view of what the day would entail.

Members don't see this ad :)
cGPA: 3.8ish, MCAT: 515+

The showcase throws a lot of information at you about the school, and the schedule of the day given I would say gives a detailed view of what the day would entail.
Thanks for the reply! I haven't gotten the itinerary yet, but that is good to know.

Mcat 509 GPA 3.72

Reactions: 1 users
Congrats to all you getting accepted. I haven't heard anything since submitting the supplemental materials-has anyone heard back from them other than for showcase invites? Do they do silent rejections?

Congrats to all you getting accepted. I haven't heard anything since submitting the supplemental materials-has anyone heard back from them other than for showcase invites? Do they do silent rejections?

You have to be invited to the showcase to be accepted (although you do not have to attend if invited). So if you aren't invited to any of the showcases then you are by default rejected.

You have to be invited to the showcase to be accepted (although you do not have to attend if invited). So if you aren't invited to any of the showcases then you are by default rejected.
But showcase invites are rolling, yes? Those of us still waiting could still receive an invite?

My LizzyM(cguire) score is 74.90!

And I'm pretty sure the invites are rolling. As of the first showcase, their plan was to have another showcase in November and the last one in January.

Reactions: 2 users
Has anyone received a schedule yet for the second showcase?

Has anyone received a schedule yet for the second showcase?
I did a couple days ago. I have my email (gmail) separated by "primary," "social," and "promotions." For some reason, the email went to "promotions." Make sure to check all of your email folders.

Members don't see this ad :)
I did a couple days ago. I have my email (gmail) separated by "primary," "social," and "promotions." For some reason, the email went to "promotions." Make sure to check all of your email folders.

Oh yeah, I lied... it was inside that unassuming email that looked exactly like the email we got a few weeks ago. There is a link to the itinerary

I think SDN should have like a secret handshake so we know each other when we get to interviews.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 4 users
Whats the pbl activity like? (Not asking for specifics but the set up)

They basically say "this patient comes in with these symptoms what do you think it could be" and you discuss it as a group. There are no wrong answers. I doubt they even evaluate you during the activity and if they are, you probably just have to participate. I don't think they have any expectations for you to know any specifics.

I am also BME with coding experience :banana:

Google engineer for 9 years with a bioinformatics background and I've just gotten sad trombones (but also a two-day extension which was nice) so it's not just engineering background they look for. That should be encouraging to non-engineers I suppose?

Whats the pbl activity like? (Not asking for specifics but the set up)

You participate in the PBL activity in a group of 8 applicants with one of the faculty PBL facilitators. The facilitator asks people to volunteer for various roles, like a reader and a person who writes on the white board. Honestly, the activity introduces you to PBL and lets you know whether it's suited for your learning or not. Pretty standard PBL/CBL session, so you can google what those are like as well.

Heads up, my friend who went to the showcase said tuition is actually secretly about 80-90k per year, depending on IS/OOS. Some fine print about paying for the REQUIRED summer session separately.....sad day

Heads up, my friend who went to the showcase said tuition is actually secretly about 80-90k per year, depending on IS/OOS. Some fine print about paying for the REQUIRED summer session separately.....sad day

From what I remember from the showcase out of state tuition is $45k for fall+spring and $15k for summer which adds up to $60k/year in total. Maybe someone can correct me if I'm wrong

Out of curiosity, does your portal change when they look over your file? I still have the same message as the day I was complete (which was 9/4, not sure if this was too late!) Starting to get a little antsy because It's been dead silence from them, and I had a whole issue with being rejected by accident earlier this cycle.

Anyone who has been accepted.... ddI you go on the hospital tour? Wondering if it really was /is optional ?

From what I remember from the showcase out of state tuition is $45k for fall+spring and $15k for summer which adds up to $60k/year in total. Maybe someone can correct me if I'm wrong

The first summer is an extra $21k, the fall and winter is $68k. Then I think it’s 68k every year after that. So yes, it’s a lot

Did anyone at the showcase catch what in state tuition was? They didn’t have the correct numbers at the Sep showcase.

Been kinda quiet on here... Has anyone been accepted after the November showcase?

Been kinda quiet on here... Has anyone been accepted after the November showcase?

Does anyone remember when they said they were meeting to discuss it? I wanna say end of the month? But I can't remember.

They said that the admissions committee is meeting on the 19th and that some acceptances will be sent out after that.
Does anyone remember when they said they were meeting to discuss it? I wanna say end of the month? But I can't remember.

They said that the admissions committee is meeting on the 19th and that some acceptances will be sent out after that.

Yeah, they said the vast majority of people will hear nothing until after the last showcase. I am not holding my breath about hearing back before then.

Yeah, they said the vast majority of people will hear nothing until after the last showcase. I am not holding my breath about hearing back before then.
Yeah, I'm not holding my breath either. You never know though, seems like they sent out a decent amount after the September showcase. Let's keep the positivity!

Yeah, I'm not holding my breath either. You never know though, seems like they sent out a decent amount after the September showcase. Let's keep the positivity!

Haha yeah sorry... you guys are all great! Good luck!

I just don't think we hear back till after Thanksgiving at the earliest

Got a showcase invite today! :) January 13th

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Got show case invite for January 13th! I'm excited but also have concerns because of the heavily engineering-influence this curriculum seems to be built upon.

Are there any M1 or M2s on here that could answer some questions?