2019-2020 Central Florida

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I have a 3.9 GPA from an Ivy league school, 519 MCAT score, poured my heart and soul into my academic work, research, volunteerism, and passion for this career, UCF is my #1 choice, I am in-state resident and I want so much to come home and be near family, and and they haven't given me any love since I submitted 7/25, so who knows. A faculty member I know well at UCF told me I'm perfect for the mission of the school but that the committee probably thinks I'm over-qualified and not serious about UCF. It's my dream school! I've already interviewed at 5 schools and still hoping for love from UCF! I've even uploaded an update and still I don't think they have even looked. Very disheartening. Good luck to you! Maybe they will notice your hard work!

This was the opposite of answering their question lol.

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
Reactions: 10 users
Yeah sorry... I got a bit emotional. LoL...was just trying to say that its hard to answer if they would be appreciative of an upward trend, when high stats dont necessarily seen to matter. Can you tell how much i want to go here? :)
This was the opposite of answering their question lol.
Definition of “weird flex, but ok”

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I have a 3.9 GPA from an Ivy league school, 519 MCAT score, poured my heart and soul into my academic work, research, volunteerism, and passion for this career, UCF is my #1 choice, I am in-state resident and I want so much to come home and be near family, and and they haven't given me any love since I submitted 7/25, so who knows. A faculty member I know well at UCF told me I'm perfect for the mission of the school but that the committee probably thinks I'm over-qualified and not serious about UCF. It's my dream school! I've already interviewed at 5 schools and still hoping for love from UCF! I've even uploaded an update and still I don't think they have even looked. Very disheartening. Good luck to you! Maybe they will notice your hard work!
So use an "update" to include new info as well as mention your desire to attend. Our review teams do not exclude for the items you mentioned, we have several that we do interview. It is very important to have a strong display of consistency of medical motivation and humanism. Metrics are helpful too.

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone know if UCF will notice upward trends? My cGPA is a 3.31 because of three classes during my freshman year (3.6- 4.0 every semester since then). I am afraid that no one will even bother to look further once they notice that low GPA. Any success stories here from people in a similar situation?
We do look at trends. You can always use an update to add new info, describe your bad GPA period and also mention your desire to attend....so weirdly you and Jecki46 are interlinked again.

So use an "update" to include new info as well as mention your desire to attend. Our review teams do not exclude for the items you mentioned, we have several that we do interview. It is very important to have a strong display of consistency of medical motivation and humanism. Metrics are helpful too.

Thank you, sir. I have done that already. Still holding out hope that it gets noticed!

Does anyone know if UCF will notice upward trends? My cGPA is a 3.31 because of three classes during my freshman year (3.6- 4.0 every semester since then). I am afraid that no one will even bother to look further once they notice that low GPA. Any success stories here from people in a similar situation?
they absolutely do notice this!

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
We do look at trends. You can always use an update to add new info, describe your bad GPA period and also mention your desire to attend....so weirdly you and Jecki46 are interlinked again.
Great to know. Thank you :)

I hope that you are hearing about your choices and power regarding the AAMC Choose Your Medical School (CYMS) process that was instituted and tested last year at every interview day. Having served for 6 years on the AAMC Committee for Admissions I am well versed in the intent and applicant confusion regarding this process. Below are some quick thoughts IRT CYMS:

- I wish that the AAMC CYMS instructions were more detailed. They are good to define the options, but they do not tell you how to apply those options. By options I mean that they are exactly that, you DO NOT HAVE TO SELECT Plan to Enroll (PTE) or Commit to Enroll (CTE) until YOU are ready.
- I see no merit in selecting PTE before April 30. It is not a binding decision and it is not even visible to med programs until around the April 30 date. If you want to amuse yourself, or practice, before April 30 you can assign PTE do different programs that have offered you an acceptance -- but of course it will be a game of solitaire because no one else will see your moves...:>)
- After April 30 some med programs may have deadlines and other instructions about how they want you to use PTE/CTE. These instructions should be clearly available on that programs Admissions website. IF you are accepted to a program that does not have this information on their website please email me so that I can encourage them to post this information. Several programs did not post instructions in this past year. Some of those programs also were very unreasonable with their process with applicants. I want to do my best to ensure that programs and applicants have a clear understanding of expectations. IF YOU DO NOT FIND CYMS instructions at an institutions website, please share that institutions name with me either via this site or email [email protected].
- In general programs are encouraged to set their CTE date no more than 3-4 weeks prior to class matriculation. Last year some programs set this date in the first two weeks of May even though their class matriculated in late July or early August. This is totally unreasonable and forces applicants to have little to no option to await a waitlisted program which may be their most preferred program.
- All programs should allow you at least 5 days to make a decision on waitlisted programs after April 30.
- Programs are not allowed to offer scholarships contingent on acceptance.
- Programs are not allowed to offer a scholarship and shorten the acceptance (5 day) window unless they are close to matriculation. ie. They cannot offer you an $80k scholarship but give you 3 days to make the decision.

Be aware, and beware. I hope that this helps.
@REL -- Thank you so much for posting this, particularly this early in the season. It is truly unique for someone in your position to be so transparent, and at least as concerned about the outcomes for candidates as for those for the school. It really sets UCF apart from everyone else, and I just wanted to let you know how much I appreciate it.

Now, for my observations and questions :):

1. -- As you noted, it is unreasonable (and also unjustifiable, given how med school admission is such a "sellers' market") for candidates' ability to remain on a WL to be dictated by arbitrary CTE deadlines set by various schools. You guys have common dates for when applications open, and for when admission decisions may be released -- why can't there be a common date (4/30, 5/15, 5/31, whenever) for when a single CTE election must be made, and why can't the CTE "commitment" be subject to a release if and when a candidate is offered a spot off a WL, right up until classes begin? Are you still involved with the AAMC Committee? Is this a tweak they would be open to?

2. -- The current implementation of the CYMS tool is flawed insofar as it does not give schools the information necessary to enforce their own rules, opening the door to unethical gaming by candidates and placing those playing by what pass for "rules" at a distinct disadvantage. After 4/30, schools can run reports to see which of their accepted or WL candidates have selected PTE/CTE elsewhere, but they have no information regarding their accepted candidates (who were required to select PTE/CTE) who also held acceptances elsewhere but were not required by the other schools to select PTE/CTE. This requires some candidates to relinquish multiple acceptances weeks or months before others, based solely on which schools they were accepted to and whether they require use of the CYMS tool, and, if so, when. It also causes issues for the schools themselves, since they have no idea which of their CTE candidates are truly "committed." After 4/30, why doesn't AMCAS identify for each school which of its accepted candidates hold acceptances at other schools (while not identifying the schools), so that schools can enforce whatever requirements they have regarding holding multiple acceptances after that date? This would clean up an inequity which caused some folks to lose their acceptances last cycle while others were allowed to hold multiple acceptances indefinitely with impunity!

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!!! :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I got AORTA maybe a week ago. How long has it taken people to go from eligible to getting an II, if they did already.

II earlier today! Complete 7/18.
Really excited to learn some more about this program!!

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
@REL -- Thank you so much for posting this, particularly this early in the season. It is truly unique for someone in your position to be so transparent, and at least as concerned about the outcomes for candidates as for those for the school. It really sets UCF apart from everyone else, and I just wanted to let you know how much I appreciate it.

Now, for my observations and questions :):

1. -- As you noted, it is unreasonable (and also unjustifiable, given how med school admission is such a "sellers' market") for candidates' ability to remain on a WL to be dictated by arbitrary CTE deadlines set by various schools. You guys have common dates for when applications open, and for when admission decisions may be released -- why can't there be a common date (4/30, 5/15, 5/31, whenever) for when a single CTE election must be made, and why can't the CTE "commitment" be subject to a release if and when a candidate is offered a spot off a WL, right up until classes begin? Are you still involved with the AAMC Committee? Is this a tweak they would be open to?

2. -- The current implementation of the CYMS tool is flawed insofar as it does not give schools the information necessary to enforce their own rules, opening the door to unethical gaming by candidates and placing those playing by what pass for "rules" at a distinct disadvantage. After 4/30, schools can run reports to see which of their accepted or WL candidates have selected PTE/CTE elsewhere, but they have no information regarding their accepted candidates (who were required to select PTE/CTE) who also held acceptances elsewhere but were not required by the other schools to select PTE/CTE. This requires some candidates to relinquish multiple acceptances weeks or months before others, based solely on which schools they were accepted to and whether they require use of the CYMS tool, and, if so, when. It also causes issues for the schools themselves, since they have no idea which of their CTE candidates are truly "committed." After 4/30, why doesn't AMCAS identify for each school which of its accepted candidates hold acceptances at other schools (while not identifying the schools), so that schools can enforce whatever requirements they have regarding holding multiple acceptances after that date? This would clean up an inequity which caused some folks to lose their acceptances last cycle while others were allowed to hold multiple acceptances indefinitely with impunity!

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!!! :)

You have a very good understanding of the problem and have wrapped up the thoughts of most admissions offices and applicants well. In fact what you are saying is what I preached to my UCF interviewee groups last year. My time on the the Committee for Admissions (COA) ended ~4 years ago but I still have a strong voice along with many counterparts around the nation. I could go into a long explanation as to why the system changed, but it short the AAMC used this ridiculous anti-trust court case that everyone knew would get no traction, predictably the judge ruled that there was no anti-trust as long as there were no finances involved by admissions. (Please note that Admissions has no control of finances/scholarships. They may receive information from their own scholarship committees to pass to applicants.) The judge also commented that the current (now past) admissions process did not did not appear to violate anti-trust. The AAMC had already strong-armed the change through COA and was not about to reverse course because their real goal was to remove themselves from any legal risk and shift it all to the med programs. "IMO" the AAMC took advantage of the case they knew was ridiculous and used it to change the rules and, most importantly to them, get themselves out of a potential legal risk situation. Also IMO there was likely a national situation (on-going for years) where a few medical programs were likely practicing "back room" agreements off the books where, if questioned, the AAMC could be implicated.

In truth the AAMC/COA was never an enforcer of rules in the prior process, enforcement was always up to programs as far as their own process rules were within agreed upon boundaries. They did intercede on the behalf of a program if one program felt that another program was not working in accordance with the community agreed-upon Traffic Rules (Protocols). As you correctly indicate the new process provides the med programs with no tangible knowledge of anything about the acceptance of an applicant except that they are accepted somewhere in the MD world. The new process also gives med programs authority to determine their own CTE deadline authority after April 30. Some programs set this unreasonably early to "lock down" applicants and deny them wait list opportunities. This is bad for applicants and for the med school community for obvious reasons. There are many other things about these changes that are very disturbing to med programs. Active conversations continue between the med programs and AAMC to try to modify and mollify.

Regarding your idea, it has some merit but the med community has to come to a consensus. The major problem that will have to be overcome in some way will be to provide the med programs with some information about who is holding acceptances/wait list offers. The AAMC/COA maintains that providing us with a number (not the school) violates student confidentiality in their opinion; even providing us with zero is a violation. We have a different opinion and need something tangible to enforce any rules. As we agree without some information enforcement impossible.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
Hey all, I’m an M1 at the COM. If you have any questions or want to get some answers from a student’s perspectives, feel free to reach out! Best of luck to all of you and hope to see many of you next year!

• Love
Thanks for offering!

Hows the culture there? Are students generally relaxed or does it feel high stress? Do you think the admin cares about how students are feeling about the curriculum, etc?

Also, considering it’s a relatively new school, do you feel well supported with resources, and opportunities to come up with a strong residency app?

thanks!

Thanks for offering!

Hows the culture there? Are students generally relaxed or does it feel high stress? Do you think the admin cares about how students are feeling about the curriculum, etc?

Also, considering it’s a relatively new school, do you feel well supported with resources, and opportunities to come up with a strong residency app?

thanks!

great questions! The culture is awesome! Everyone is super helpful, and I found a great group of friends that I spend time with on the weekends. We have an exam coming up and I honestly don’t feel that stressed about it. An interviewee asked how much sleep I get. I get 8 hrs of sleep every night and have time to take naps in the afternoon. So lots of free time! Yeah, the admins care a lot about how students feel about the curriculum because we have optional class meetings where we go and talk about what we like or don’t like with the admins. I personally don’t have any complaints about the curriculum.

lots of resources and opportunities! I am interested in ortho and had no trouble finding a mentor for my FIRE project in ortho.

Reactions: 7 users
Got the AORTA competitive for possible interview email.

@REL

Would you be able to give a rough estimate of what fraction of applicants get this email as opposed to the not competitive email? Or does pretty much everyone get this as long as you have the 500 MCAT and 3.0 GPA screen they have?

Got the AORTA competitive for possible interview email.

@REL

Would you be able to give a rough estimate of what fraction of applicants get this email as opposed to the not competitive email? Or does pretty much everyone get this as long as you have the 500 MCAT and 3.0 GPA screen they have?

Did you recieve an email or did your status just change on the portal?

Does UCF take ITA requests? Do you guys know which days they interview?

Marked AORTA EFI recently and I was so happy I almost cried. I know it isn't a guarantee, but after my disheartening cycle last year I have high hopes. Last year I was rejected from UCF before my application was reviewed due to a letter of recommendation being late due to a natural disaster, so I am extremely pleased to see that this year is working out better (thank you mother nature for not throwing another hurricane my way!).

• Love
II received last Thursday! Complete mid August and OOS.

Reactions: 6 users
II!

Complete 7/26

Reactions: 8 users
I just got marked eligible for interview. Does anyone know if they mark anyone who meets their minimum requirements as eligible or does it actually mean something?

I just got marked eligible for interview. Does anyone know if they mark anyone who meets their minimum requirements as eligible or does it actually mean something?
It just means you’ve met the minimum requirements :meh:

Congrats to those recently accepted! Definitely feel free to PM if you have any questions/concerns about the school and want some perspective from an M1!

I think I just got a call that said I was accepted but I'm literally so tired from not sleeping last night in anticipation that I am not sure if I was DREAMING!!!

Omg I am soooo thrilled!

• Love
Waitlisted today :(.
Since it's early in the cycle, waitlist positions are likely to change right?

Current M1 as well. Culture is super chill and what you make of it. It's medical school so you get a mix. So in pre-med, you have neurotic people and you have chill people. Med school is the exact same depending on the type of person they are. As far as how going to UCF vs. another school influences this, it's relaxed. Admin definitely cares to a point that it is almost annoying. We are asked to provide feedback for everything from courses to curriculum to how powerpoints are designed. We can appeal test questions via a formal process where the questions are reviewed. It's awesome.

The resources are fantastic. There's a wide range of specialties represented in our faculty and those involved with the school. Going here, I can honestly say the sky is the limit. The school wants us to succeed and it truly shows. This atmosphere is one of the main reasons I chose UCF.

• Love