2019-2020 Central Florida

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I haven't received a secondary from here yet. Submitted 8/14 :/ Guessing rejection.

They don’t screen. You should call them.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
About to submit my secondary right now. IS with average stats but hopefully strong experiences. Let's see if I get an interview.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got the call for an II!

IS, 518 MCAT, 3.95 cGPA

Reactions: 6 users
II today by phone as well! OOS (with ties), Complete 7/30

Reactions: 3 users
I am a current M4 here, feel free to ask me any questions. Definitely best decision I ever made was choosing UCF for med school. Good luck to all!

I am a current M4 here, feel free to ask me any questions. Definitely best decision I ever made was choosing UCF for med school. Good luck to all!

I have been complete since 7/19, and have been AORTA for ~2 weeks. Is it too early to email them?

I have been complete since 7/19, and have been AORTA for ~2 weeks. Is it too early to email them?
Yea way too early, the interview season is a long one, so it takes time to sift through all the apps. But Rel can answer you better

Reactions: 1 users
Yea way too early, the interview season is a long one, so it takes time to sift through all the apps. But Rel can answer you better
Thank you! I was thinking about sending a letter of intent to them, wondering i they'd find that more annoying than anything lol

there isn't a word/character count for any of the essays right? I don't see it, but I just want to make sure

there isn't a word/character count for any of the essays right? I don't see it, but I just want to make sure

It is 500 char for background questions, 750 for short essay questions, and for connections to FL, academic difficulties, and who are you essay, you get 2000 characters. My form doesn't show the character limits now that I've submitted, but those are the numbers I noted in my obsessively documented secondaries spreadsheet :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Just FYI, make sure to check your portals guys. I submitted my application two weeks ago and was waiting for them to add my LORs to the app. Today I saw that they had downloaded my LORs but said I still needed 1 more. After emailing them they said one of my letter writers didn't put their letter on official letterhead or sign the letter.
Has anyone had a similar situation? I definitely think the letter they're referring to is my best letter and I'm hoping other schools aren't disregarding this letter for that same reason

Just FYI, make sure to check your portals guys. I submitted my application two weeks ago and was waiting for them to add my LORs to the app. Today I saw that they had downloaded my LORs but said I still needed 1 more. After emailing them they said one of my letter writers didn't put their letter on official letterhead or sign the letter.
Has anyone had a similar situation? I definitely think the letter they're referring to is my best letter and I'm hoping other schools aren't disregarding this letter for that same reason
Where do you see anything about the letters? I dot see that on my portal.

Thanks for letting us know!, did you see this in the "Supplemental Application Package" tab?

Where do you see anything about the letters? I dot see that on my portal.

Above where it says "Statuses" which for me all say submitted for the first one and complete for the rest.

1567561657958.png

The same thing happened to me! I explained what happened to my letter writer, and they were able to upload a new letter using the same AMCAS ID and my UCF portal was updated about 5 business days later! From a few other portals, I think uploading it through AMCAS automatically updated that letter for all the schools I had sent it to too.

II received today. Secondary completed 7/23
Congrats captain poopy pants! When did AORTA mark you as “eligible for interview”? Also did they call you on the phone? If so, was it an Orlando area code? I love ignoring calls I don’t recognize so I wanna be prepared (should they decide to show me some love) ....... :bucktooth:

Congrats captain poopy pants! When did AORTA mark you as “eligible for interview”? Also did they call you on the phone? If so, was it an Orlando area code? I love ignoring calls I don’t recognize so I wanna be prepared (should they decide to show me some love) ....... :bucktooth:

Thank you cat lady but normal! I don't remember exactly when, 2-3 weeks ago sounds right. Yes by phone with an Orlando area code. That's the only reason I answered the call lol

Last edited:
Received II today! Secondary completed 7/26

Reactions: 4 users
my status changed to “eligible for interview” today but I didn't receive a phone call; submitted 08/28

I get a lot of spam calls from orlando, so i usually don't answer random 407/321 numbers. Do they also send an email if invited for an interview?

I get a lot of spam calls from orlando, so i usually don't answer random 407/321 numbers. Do they also send an email if invited for an interview?

Yes, they sent an email to return the call and schedule an interview!

my status changed to “eligible for interview” today but I didn't receive a phone call; submitted 08/28
Read previous posts on this thread, including those from REL, admissions officer. "Eligible for interview" does not mean you are getting an interview. It is pretty clear from their explanation on the portal as well:
AORTA - ELIGIBLE FOR INTERVIEW SELECTION
Your file is in a pool of applicants to be considered for an interview group on a near-weekly basis as we construct interview groups. This means the file is eligible for selection for an interview group, IT DOES NOT MEAN that selection for an interview is guaranteed or will be granted. You are welcome to update your information. 3 updates are allowed via your dashboard. Next status is either Interview Scheduled (after phone call) or Unable to Offer Interview (after email at end of interview cycle). Final Scheduled interview date is February 22.

Most of us here have been sitting at this status for a couple of weeks.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Does anyone know if they’re switching to pass/fail?

Does anyone know if they’re switching to pass/fail?
No, not anytime soon. I haven't taken my first exam yet but being Pass/Fail vs graded doesn't seem like a huge issue. Most students (from what I've heard from M2-M4s) do very well on the exams anyways.
EDIT: A few of our courses are H/P/F though!
Interviewing here tomorrow! I'm so excited!!!
Good Luck! Can't wait to see the interviewees starting to roam the COM halls tomorrow! :D Just be yourself and you'll be fine!

Last edited:
Can someone please check their secondary PDF for me? The spaces between my paragraphs were cut off for some reason and my final essay is now one giant paragraph :( I wonder if anyone else has the same problem

Last edited:
Can someone please check their secondary PDF for me? The spaces between my paragraphs were cut off for some reason and my final essay is now a one giant paragraph :( I wonder if anyone else has the same problem
Same thing happened to me But don’t worry about it

07:45-08:10am: Arrival and light breakfast in the Admissions Conference Room (111).
08:15-08:50am: Welcome and discussion with COM Dean and Student Affairs Dean
09:00-10:30am: Two 30 minute, one-on-one interviews with COM Faculty
10:30-11:10am: Student Panel Q&A
11:10am-11:50pm: Admissions Overview
12:00pm-12:45pm: Lunch at COM with medical students
1:00pm-2:00pm: Curriculum, Financial Aid and Student Wellness overview
2:00pm-2:45pm: Building tour by COM students
2:45pm-3:0pm: Wrap up discussion by COM Admissions

I'm trying to plan my trip and I don't have a lot of money to spend. My least expensive option includes a plane ride that would require me to leave early (somewhere in the bolded area). Anyone who's already interviewed at UCF, did everyone stay the entire time, or was it acceptable to leave early? I interviewed at Baylor and many students left early rather than going to the final tour at the end of the day. Would this look negatively upon me or is it acceptable?

07:45-08:10am: Arrival and light breakfast in the Admissions Conference Room (111).
08:15-08:50am: Welcome and discussion with COM Dean and Student Affairs Dean
09:00-10:30am: Two 30 minute, one-on-one interviews with COM Faculty
10:30-11:10am: Student Panel Q&A
11:10am-11:50pm: Admissions Overview
12:00pm-12:45pm: Lunch at COM with medical students
1:00pm-2:00pm: Curriculum, Financial Aid and Student Wellness overview
2:00pm-2:45pm: Building tour by COM students
2:45pm-3:0pm: Wrap up discussion by COM Admissions

I'm trying to plan my trip and I don't have a lot of money to spend. My least expensive option includes a plane ride that would require me to leave early (somewhere in the bolded area). Anyone who's already interviewed at UCF, did everyone stay the entire time, or was it acceptable to leave early? I interviewed at Baylor and many students left early rather than going to the final tour at the end of the day. Would this look negatively upon me or is it acceptable?
Everyone stayed the entire time during my interview day, but this is a question you should send directly to the admissions office to get appropriate feedback given your situation.

Calls from UCF will normally come from office numbers that are 407-266-13xx depending upon who calls you. We will also use some cell phones that would orginate from 407 or 813 areas codes.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Everyone stayed the entire time during my interview day, but this is a question you should send directly to the admissions office to get appropriate feedback given your situation.
In general it is best to stay the day, but we do understand flights schedules and if you have to leave we will not be offended.

I hope that you are hearing about your choices and power regarding the AAMC Choose Your Medical School (CYMS) process that was instituted and tested last year at every interview day. Having served for 6 years on the AAMC Committee for Admissions I am well versed in the intent and applicant confusion regarding this process. Below are some quick thoughts IRT CYMS:

- I wish that the AAMC CYMS instructions were more detailed. They are good to define the options, but they do not tell you how to apply those options. By options I mean that they are exactly that, you DO NOT HAVE TO SELECT Plan to Enroll (PTE) or Commit to Enroll (CTE) until YOU are ready.
- I see no merit in selecting PTE before April 30. It is not a binding decision and it is not even visible to med programs until around the April 30 date. If you want to amuse yourself, or practice, before April 30 you can assign PTE do different programs that have offered you an acceptance -- but of course it will be a game of solitaire because no one else will see your moves...:>)
- After April 30 some med programs may have deadlines and other instructions about how they want you to use PTE/CTE. These instructions should be clearly available on that programs Admissions website. IF you are accepted to a program that does not have this information on their website please email me so that I can encourage them to post this information. Several programs did not post instructions in this past year. Some of those programs also were very unreasonable with their process with applicants. I want to do my best to ensure that programs and applicants have a clear understanding of expectations. IF YOU DO NOT FIND CYMS instructions at an institutions website, please share that institutions name with me either via this site or email [email protected].
- In general programs are encouraged to set their CTE date no more than 3-4 weeks prior to class matriculation. Last year some programs set this date in the first two weeks of May even though their class matriculated in late July or early August. This is totally unreasonable and forces applicants to have little to no option to await a waitlisted program which may be their most preferred program.
- All programs should allow you at least 5 days to make a decision on waitlisted programs after April 30.
- Programs are not allowed to offer scholarships contingent on acceptance.
- Programs are not allowed to offer a scholarship and shorten the acceptance (5 day) window unless they are close to matriculation. ie. They cannot offer you an $80k scholarship but give you 3 days to make the decision.

Be aware, and beware. I hope that this helps.

Reactions: 10 users
I hope that you are hearing about your choices and power regarding the AAMC Choose Your Medical School (CYMS) process that was instituted and tested last year at every interview day. Having served for 6 years on the AAMC Committee for Admissions I am well versed in the intent and applicant confusion regarding this process. Below are some quick thoughts IRT CYMS:

- I wish that the AAMC CYMS instructions were more detailed. They are good to define the options, but they do not tell you how to apply those options. By options I mean that they are exactly that, you DO NOT HAVE TO SELECT Plan to Enroll (PTE) or Commit to Enroll (CTE) until YOU are ready.
- I see no merit in selecting PTE before April 30. It is not a binding decision and it is not even visible to med programs until around the April 30 date. If you want to amuse yourself, or practice, before April 30 you can assign PTE do different programs that have offered you an acceptance -- but of course it will be a game of solitaire because no one else will see your moves...:>)
- After April 30 some med programs may have deadlines and other instructions about how they want you to use PTE/CTE. These instructions should be clearly available on that programs Admissions website. IF you are accepted to a program that does not have this information on their website please email me so that I can encourage them to post this information. Several programs did not post instructions in this past year. Some of those programs also were very unreasonable with their process with applicants. I want to do my best to ensure that programs and applicants have a clear understanding of expectations. IF YOU DO NOT FIND CYMS instructions at an institutions website, please share that institutions name with me either via this site or email [email protected].
- In general programs are encouraged to set their CTE date no more than 3-4 weeks prior to class matriculation. Last year some programs set this date in the first two weeks of May even though their class matriculated in late July or early August. This is totally unreasonable and forces applicants to have little to no option to await a waitlisted program which may be their most preferred program.
- All programs should allow you at least 5 days to make a decision on waitlisted programs after April 30.
- Programs are not allowed to offer scholarships contingent on acceptance.
- Programs are not allowed to offer a scholarship and shorten the acceptance (5 day) window unless they are close to matriculation. ie. They cannot offer you an $80k scholarship but give you 3 days to make the decision.

Be aware, and beware. I hope that this helps.

Thank you @REL! This post addresses a couple of concerns I've had.

Does anyone know if UCF will notice upward trends? My cGPA is a 3.31 because of three classes during my freshman year (3.6- 4.0 every semester since then). I am afraid that no one will even bother to look further once they notice that low GPA. Any success stories here from people in a similar situation?

Does anyone know if UCF will notice upward trends? My cGPA is a 3.31 because of three classes during my freshman year (3.6- 4.0 every semester since then). I am afraid that no one will even bother to look further once they notice that low GPA. Any success stories here from people in a similar situation?
I have a 3.9 GPA from an Ivy league school, 518 MCAT score, poured my heart and soul into my academic work, research, volunteerism, and passion for this career, UCF is my #1 choice, I am in-state resident and I want so much to come home and be near family, and and they haven't given me any love since I submitted 7/25, so who knows. A faculty member I know well at UCF told me I'm perfect for the mission of the school but that the committee probably thinks I'm over-qualified and not serious about UCF. It's my dream school! I've already interviewed at 5 schools and still hoping for love from UCF! I've even uploaded an update and still I don't think they have even looked. Very disheartening. Good luck to you! Maybe they will notice your hard work!

Last edited: