2019-2020 Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine (LECOM-Bradenton)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Submitted my secondary about a week ago. Anyone in the same boat? Is it too late for an interview or is it still under review?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Submitted my secondary about a week ago. Anyone in the same boat? Is it too late for an interview or is it still under review?
Well, I just got an auto-generated email from AACOMAS about application deadlines. Apparently LECOM extended their application deadline to 4/10/2020. Not trying to give anyone false hope, and not that they extended it by much, but I think that would be a super weird thing for one to do if they've already filled their class... just saying.

Reactions: 1 user
Well, I just got an auto-generated email from AACOMAS about application deadlines. Apparently LECOM extended their application deadline to 4/10/2020. Not trying to give anyone false hope, and not that they extended it by much, but I think that would be a super weird thing for one to do if they've already filled their class... just saying.
I spoke with admissions just before my portal changes and was told that I was wait-listed, but they didn't foresee much movement happening.
Now, that could mean the class is full, but they're filling the wait list, or it could mean they still have seats to fill with more ideal candidates. Who knows.

I spoke with admissions just before my portal changes and was told that I was wait-listed, but they didn't foresee much movement happening.
Now, that could mean the class is full, but they're filling the wait list, or it could mean they still have seats to fill with more ideal candidates. Who knows.
When was this?

Is there a difference between wait-list and alternate list? I heard that there are two wait-lists but I’m unsure about this. Does anybody me happen to have more information about this? Thank you!

Does anyone know if they are still giving out II? The last few years' threads said they stopped at the end of March but with the COVID situation that might have changed?
Also if II are done do they do silent rejections or should I expect an email?

Does anyone know if they are still giving out II? The last few years' threads said they stopped at the end of March but with the COVID situation that might have changed?
Wouldn't hurt to email admissions for a definite answer on that. As far as a decision, you get a call for acceptance then a letter, and only a letter for waitlist and rejection. In some cases, they'll just wait on the decision for a while. I have no idea why.
Got waitlisted at Seton Hill after a month, but have been waiting on LECOM-Bs answer since December.

Still waiting to hear back as well. I know LECOM extended the deadline (by just a few days) so hopefully that means they are still looking for applicants!

Still waiting to hear back as well. I know LECOM extended the deadline (by just a few days) so hopefully that means they are still looking for applicants!
You should email Ron Shively and reach out... saying when you interviewed and that you are still waiting to hear back. That’s what I did and a week or so later I was told a decision. I interviewed in October and I think I found out at the end of January

Members don't see this ad :)
If anyone remembers the names of who virtually interviewed them today can you PM me? I'm having trouble remembering

Is there a difference between wait-list and alternate list? I heard that there are two wait-lists but I’m unsure about this. Does anybody me happen to have more information about this? Thank you!

Bump

Yeah I think so. The Wait-list would be ranked higher than the alternate list.

If post-interview we still haven't heard back, does that mean most likely going to get wait-listed? Is it worth calling or sending an email to shively?

If post-interview we still haven't heard back, does that mean most likely going to get wait-listed? Is it worth calling or sending an email to shively?

Current OMS1, I will share my experience. I interviewed and was expecting (like most on these boards) to receive a decision within 2 or 3 weeks. 2 or 3 weeks past by and nothing, so I waited another week...and nothing. I eventually called Ron and he told me that he had planned on calling me that day (doubtful) to tell me I had been wait-listed/alternate listed. My opinion and observation is this, LECOM likes to hear how much you want to go to the school, how you believe in the program etc....So definitely call and express an interest- make sure you call, not e-mail..make it personal. I called, sent a letter of intent, updated with my graduate programs grades, etc. I constantly kept them in the loop and made sure that they knew I was serious about wanting to go to LECOM and that I had a vested interest. Ended up getting in and here I am now.

Now circumstances might be different because of the quarantine protocols occurring and I do not know which faculty are at the school, but continue to make the effort to show interest.

are they not the same thing? any current students able to confirm this?
Ok, I contacted a current student that got in off the waitlist. The waitlist and the alternate list is the same thing

Ok, I contacted a current student that got in off the waitlist. The waitlist and the alternate list is the same thing

Sorry I should have addressed that question as well. I took them as the same thing when I was on it.

Better late than never! Just received an ii. They're having it over zoom. Anybody else get this email?

I had an interview over zoom on 3/20/20. Does anyone know how it will take to hear a decision? I saw that some people had to wait months post-interview :(

Current OMS1, I will share my experience. I interviewed and was expecting (like most on these boards) to receive a decision within 2 or 3 weeks. 2 or 3 weeks past by and nothing, so I waited another week...and nothing. I eventually called Ron and he told me that he had planned on calling me that day (doubtful) to tell me I had been wait-listed/alternate listed. My opinion and observation is this, LECOM likes to hear how much you want to go to the school, how you believe in the program etc....So definitely call and express an interest- make sure you call, not e-mail..make it personal. I called, sent a letter of intent, updated with my graduate programs grades, etc. I constantly kept them in the loop and made sure that they knew I was serious about wanting to go to LECOM and that I had a vested interest. Ended up getting in and here I am now.

Now circumstances might be different because of the quarantine protocols occurring and I do not know which faculty are at the school, but continue to make the effort to show interest.

Do you know when they start pulling from the wait list/alternate list? Also congrats! :)

I had an interview over zoom on 3/20/20. Does anyone know how it will take to hear a decision? I saw that some people had to wait months post-interview :(

I hope you hear back quickly! Can you tell me a little bit about the zoom interview? How was it?

Do you know when they start pulling from the wait list/alternate list? Also congrats! :)

I do not know exact dates but I will say this, I know people in my class who were called days before class started and were accepted off alternate/wait list. So even if it gets late in the cycle you still might have a chance.

I hope you hear back quickly! Can you tell me a little bit about the zoom interview? How was it?
Very standard interview with one doctor, DO and one professor. Standard questions like Why DO, Why LECOM, How are you handling the COVID situation, Example of clinical experience and empathy. And it was very laid back and less than 30 minutes.

my portal has changed to decision made status. so if you don't get a call then no acceptance perhaps?

min
Very standard interview with one doctor, DO and one professor. Standard questions like Why DO, Why LECOM, How are you handling the COVID situation, Example of clinical experience and empathy. And it was very laid back and less than 30 minutes.

mine was with MD professor and an administrative person and lasted only for 10min.

Just had my interview this morning. About 15 minnutes long. Had a few covid-19 questions that I was definitely not prepared for. I do not think I did well, hopefully you guys had better luck than me. This far out in the cycle am I just competing for a waitlist position?

Just had my interview this morning. About 15 minnutes long. Had a few covid-19 questions that I was definitely not prepared for. I do not think I did well, hopefully you guys had better luck than me. This far out in the cycle am I just competing for a waitlist position?

I was wondering this same thing with it being so late in the cycle

I don't think I did that well either and I honestly have no idea if we are competing for a waitlist position or not.

Is the online interview still group based or individual?

03/20. the decision was made according to the portal. hope to receive the letter this weekend.

Lol how TF do they take 4 months for some people and like a week for others

Reactions: 1 users
Lol how TF do they take 4 months for some people and like a week for others
And I don‘t know why they do that. I know some schools leave the sort of middle of the ground people waiting in limbo becuase they aren’t “good” enough to accept but not “bad” enough to reject. So they wait to see how things play out before they decide where to put them.

And I don‘t know why they do that. I know some schools leave the sort of middle of the ground people waiting in limbo becuase they aren’t “good” enough to accept but not “bad” enough to reject. So they wait to see how things play out before they decide where to put them.

It may also be because these are later interviews so they have a better scope of where everyone is standing. Idk I can't seem to find a pattern to how any of these schools do things :confused:

Do you have any advice for how to express interest without coming across as a jerk?

To any current students: what’s your opinion on how far to live from campus? My family is looking at buying a house in St. Petersburg area or Apollo beach area and both look like they are 35 min drives from campus

To any current students: what’s your opinion on how far to live from campus? My family is looking at buying a house in St. Petersburg area or Apollo beach area and both look like they are 35 min drives from campus

Not a student, but live close to the campus. I personally would not recommend any commute that includes the Skyway or long stretches of 75. The amount of headaches you will endure just getting to the campus means that you will be in a bad mood more often than not when you get there. Also, that 35 minute commute will often turn into an hour or more and you stand to lose hours upon hours of time every week that could be spent studying. If you plan to live with your parents, I would suggest doing everything possible to convince them that Parish/Ellenton, Bradenton, or Sarasota are the better options. That should not need too much convincing, as Sarasota is far more beautiful than both St Pete and Apollo Beach, Bradenton has a lot of excellent real estate close to the water for relatively good deals, and the Parish/Ellenton area will provide far nicer houses at lower prices than both.

Not a student, but live close to the campus. I personally would not recommend any commute that includes the Skyway or long stretches of 75. The amount of headaches you will endure just getting to the campus means that you will be in a bad mood more often than not when you get there. Also, that 35 minute commute will often turn into an hour or more and you stand to lose hours upon hours of time every week that could be spent studying. If you plan to live with your parents, I would suggest doing everything possible to convince them that Parish/Ellenton, Bradenton, or Sarasota are the better options. That should not need too much convincing, as Sarasota is far more beautiful than both St Pete and Apollo Beach, Bradenton has a lot of excellent real estate close to the water for relatively good deals, and the Parish/Ellenton area will provide far nicer houses at lower prices than both.
Thank you for the response.. the issue being that my long term boyfriend would be working outside of Tampa so we were trying to find something in the middle of the two

Did you send any updates before the ii?

I did not but I called and expressed interest. It seems like (according to prior posts) that they like to see you take interest and they like to hear from you on the phone so maybe that had something to do with it? I didn't see that post before, but I got the invite about a week or so after I called. But in full honesty I'm not sure if you have gotten invited for an interview or not yet but it kinda seemed like this may be the last interview. I'm not entirely sure that's just the vibe I got. I would absolutely call the office and ask! They are all super nice.

In regards to location... my grandparents live in Bradenton close to the campus so I've traveled there my entire life. I agree with what SRQ veteran said. I know you mentioned your boyfriend and wanting to be closer to him but I'd really consider if it is worth the trouble of getting to/from school. Florida traffic can be absolutely miserable and I agree the 30 minute commute can easily turn into 1 hour just with traffic, it could be 1 hour+ if there is an accident. If you have an exam or class or something this would prove to be a big annoyance as you'd be making the drive to school more than to your boyfriends (I would assume). Again, don't want to come off rude or mean or anything just trying to offer some advice!! I don't know what your plan is but I would, if I were you, try to be closer to campus rather than to Tampa. Good luck!

I did not but I called and expressed interest. It seems like (according to prior posts) that they like to see you take interest and they like to hear from you on the phone so maybe that had something to do with it? I didn't see that post before, but I got the invite about a week or so after I called. But in full honesty I'm not sure if you have gotten invited for an interview or not yet but it kinda seemed like this may be the last interview. I'm not entirely sure that's just the vibe I got. I would absolutely call the office and ask! They are all super nice.

In regards to location... my grandparents live in Bradenton close to the campus so I've traveled there my entire life. I agree with what SRQ veteran said. I know you mentioned your boyfriend and wanting to be closer to him but I'd really consider if it is worth the trouble of getting to/from school. Florida traffic can be absolutely miserable and I agree the 30 minute commute can easily turn into 1 hour just with traffic, it could be 1 hour+ if there is an accident. If you have an exam or class or something this would prove to be a big annoyance as you'd be making the drive to school more than to your boyfriends (I would assume). Again, don't want to come off rude or mean or anything just trying to offer some advice!! I don't know what your plan is but I would, if I were you, try to be closer to campus rather than to Tampa. Good luck!
Thanks for the advice! We are currently in San Francisco for his job and if they would allow him, he would transfer to the Tampa office. That's why we were trying to compromise and split the difference between Tampa and Bradenton by looking at St. petersburg, Apollo Beach, etc. I mentioned Parrish but then that would be a 50+ minute commute for him. How many days a week would you say you are on campus? This is just such a difficult decision and we are trying to make both parties happy. So I do appreciate the feedback and advice.

Thanks for the advice! We are currently in San Francisco for his job and if they would allow him, he would transfer to the Tampa office. That's why we were trying to compromise and split the difference between Tampa and Bradenton by looking at St. petersburg, Apollo Beach, etc. I mentioned Parrish but then that would be a 50+ minute commute for him. How many days a week would you say you are on campus? This is just such a difficult decision and we are trying to make both parties happy. So I do appreciate the feedback and advice.

I actually have my interview Friday I haven't been a student there but my grandparents live close so I'm super familiar with the area and the drive to/from Tampa. I see your predicament. Any chance you guys would get separate places to live to make commuting issues easier and just see each other in the spare time? Unfortunately, with the difference between where you both need to be, if you were to make it easier for one person the other would be sacrificing. However, you pose a good question about how often students are required on campus!! If it is not every day or just a few days a week that would definitely be something to consider. I think the Bradenton campus is PBL based though so that may end up requiring you on campus more frequently- but again I am not sure! A current student would better be able to answer or if you want to call the office I'm sure they could provide you some advice. Sorry I can't be more help.