-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2019-2020 Meharry
Started by PapaGuava
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Secondary today.
Longtimecoming
Full Member
I hadn't been checking this thread and assumed I was prescreened out. But I got a secondary!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Nope, received and completed mine back in July. 😉 Hoping now that they have their secondary situation figured out that they will get rolling on the interview invites!Can we relax with the +X? Everyone appeared to get it today.
Anyone know if there are character/word limits on the secondary?
I don' think there is a character limit. A thread from a bunch of years back discussed that you could write however much you wanted. Several people said they wrote ~1 page, but it seems to be up to our discretion.
Is anyone that just got their secondary seeing 'this page doesn't apply to you when you click on the video interview tab? I see that this was what some people were seeing earlier in the thread.
I would like to know as well before submitting it without a video interview.
I had the same thing on mine.I would like to know as well before submitting it without a video interview.
Thank you.I had the same thing on mine.
Has anyone submitted the secondary already without the video interview portion? I want to submit mine ASAP, but I am hesitant due to the "this page doesn't apply to you" situation.
Some of us might not need to do the video interview. Not sure if that is a good/bad sign. They told me to skip the video interview part as it doesnt apply to me. Submitted my secondary today.
Submitted it today without the video interview. Recieved an email confirmation right.Has anyone submitted the secondary already without the video interview portion? I want to submit mine ASAP, but I am hesitant due to the "this page doesn't apply to you" situation.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My guess is that that admissions probably knows it doesn’t show for all/some applicants. I’d like to believe for the time they spent to correct the secondary issue, that the actual secondary would be working as intended...
Is there any mention of a word/character count for the essays? I don't see it anywhere on the secondary or on their site. Has anyone called for clarification? I might call tomorrow :/
There is no hard word count, totally up to you to determine how much to write.Is there any mention of a word/character count for the essays? I don't see it anywhere on the secondary or on their site. Has anyone called for clarification? I might call tomorrow :/
I find it interesting that HBCU's like Meharry and Morehouse require photos of applicants while I've only had one other school that wanted a photo.
How many schools did you apply to? The majority of mine, if not all, (non HBCU) have required pictures.
anyone hear anything about II here? submitted secondary way back in July haven't heard a thing since...wondering if I did it right :/
RedditorMD
Full Member
Is CASPER a requirement for the school? Anybody sending it?
Is CASPER a requirement for the school? Anybody sending it?
Their website says that all students are required to take Casper “before the interview.” I took Casper on 9/8 & selected Meharry when I registered.
I sent my primary application to Meharry last year, created an account for the secondary app and wrote the essays. I even entered my information but I didn't submit the secondary as I realized it was just way too late in the cycle (January). Anyway, I applied this year again and received the secondary email today. When I clicked on the link, it directed me to my old account so basically all my previous answers are saved, even the last year essays which I didn't submit to the school.
I modified my essays this year but my question is that do you think I should open another account with a new email address (I don't even know if that would be possible)? or shall I just modify the answers and submit the application with the old account? Thank you!
I modified my essays this year but my question is that do you think I should open another account with a new email address (I don't even know if that would be possible)? or shall I just modify the answers and submit the application with the old account? Thank you!
I used my old account. I don't think there should be any issue.I sent my primary application to Meharry last year, created an account for the secondary app and wrote the essays. I even entered my information but I didn't submit the secondary as I realized it was just way too late in the cycle (January). Anyway, I applied this year again and received the secondary email today. When I clicked on the link, it directed me to my old account so basically all my previous answers are saved, even the last year essays which I didn't submit to the school.
I modified my essays this year but my question is that do you think I should open another account with a new email address (I don't even know if that would be possible)? or shall I just modify the answers and submit the application with the old account? Thank you!
YOO SAME!! It looked like Howard was giving out free interviews to everyone who submitted the first daySubmitted the 1st day, don't want to make the same "mistake" with Howard's secondaries and miss the first round of interviews!
(I submitted the second day after Howard released it and I'm really just crying I haven't gotten an II yet lol)
...still haven't gotten a secondary but i emailed them today. i was verified mid july.
A lot of people got it yesterday. Maybe they screen for secondaries...still haven't gotten a secondary but i emailed them today. i was verified mid july.
my mcat and gpa are higher than their average and i've done lots of underserved work so...i thought i would be a great fit. i guess i'll keep waiting and hoping!!!A lot of people got it yesterday. Maybe they screen for secondaries
Just stay calm and have faith! This process can be aggravating and depressing, so no need to perpetuate those feelings. Wait awhile, and possibly see if by sometime next week you get one.my mcat and gpa are higher than their average and i've done lots of underserved work so...i thought i would be a great fit. i guess i'll keep waiting and hoping!!!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does Meharry waive secondaries? If so, do we need to forward the fee waiver email? Thank you
Yes they waive fees, I believe it’s already made to where you don’t have to pay if applicableDoes Meharry waive secondaries? If so, do we need to forward the fee waiver email? Thank you
For the "Number from 1 (highest) to 3 (lowest) the top three statements that mostly closely describe the reasons for your interest in a medical career" question, what exactly does community respect mean? The respect of your community? Or respecting and serving your community?
I took it as you want the respect from your community... not sure if that's right now that you phrase it that wayFor the "Number from 1 (highest) to 3 (lowest) the top three statements that mostly closely describe the reasons for your interest in a medical career" question, what exactly does community respect mean? The respect of your community? Or respecting and serving your community?
I thought it meant the prestige that comes from being a doctorFor the "Number from 1 (highest) to 3 (lowest) the top three statements that mostly closely describe the reasons for your interest in a medical career" question, what exactly does community respect mean? The respect of your community? Or respecting and serving your community?
Yeah, same. Did anyone else struggle with picking a third reason? Aside from helping the underserved and research, all of the other reasons seem crappyI thought it meant the prestige that comes from being a doctor
No... I just called it Meharry. Idk if that was wrong? Or you can probably also use MMCDid anyone call Meharry Medical College's School of Medicine MMCSOM?
Theprofessor’sprofessor
Full Member
Do they look at your smp gpa if provided or do they focus in your undergrad?
Longtimecoming
Full Member
I tried logging on tonight after I already submitted my secondary and it said access was denied. I just wanted to contribute to the conversation on this page after going over what I answered but I'd to review my application if I do end up getting an interview...
Theprofessor’sprofessor
Full Member
Does anyone know how soon they plan on interviewing?
This is definitely a question I am interested in. I called back in June or July and asked the admissions office. They were very vague and said the question was almost impossible to answer because of their holistic review. After I told her about my SMP experience, the woman over the phone did brush it off and focus on my undergraduate GPA... but that it's just one person. Who knows what the actual admission committee will decide. Good luck to you!Do they look at your smp gpa if provided or do they focus in your undergrad?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Medcine2205
Full Member
I think you do not have to do the video portion of the secondary if you are a reapplicant to the school. Is this also the case for you all or are you all first time applicants?Submitted it today without the video interview. Recieved an email confirmation right.
I’m a first time applicant and did not have to do the video portionI think you do not have to do the video portion of the secondary if you are a reapplicant to the school. Is this also the case for you all or are you all first time applicants?
Just now joining this thread (so I'm not being sarcastic), but from your comment are you saying that 2's just came out this past Thursday? I'm late to the app game because of a Sep MCAT score, but I app'd this morning, got a 2 a few hours later, and got my 2 returned this evening. I was worried that I am way behind on the timeline, but if people just started getting secondaries last week, maybe I'm in good shape!Can we relax with the +X? Everyone appeared to get it today.
FWIW, I applied today, and it told me the video interview did not apply to me. I'm a first-time applicant.I think you do not have to do the video portion of the secondary if you are a reapplicant to the school. Is this also the case for you all or are you all first time applicants?