2019-2020 Rocky Vista University College of Osteopathic Medicine (RVUCOM-Colorado)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was placed on the alternate list :/ really liked the school so I hope they have decent movement.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Not 100% sure. Going to have a long conversation with my advisor next week about pros and cons of both schools. At both interviews I felt very comfortable at the school and felt as if I matched the school very well. However, both schools are very different and have different cultures. But both are tremendous options.

I was accepted to ATSU KCOM and put on the alternate list post-interview at RVU. I completely agree with you! I rank them nearly the same after my interviews.

Reactions: 1 users
I was accepted to ATSU KCOM and put on the alternate list post-interview at RVU. I completely agree with you! I rank them nearly the same after my interviews.
Hey there is a good chance we'll be classmates!

Members don't see this ad :)
Not 100% sure. Going to have a long conversation with my advisor next week about pros and cons of both schools. At both interviews I felt very comfortable at the school and felt as if I matched the school very well. However, both schools are very different and have different cultures. But both are tremendous options.
Im sort of in the same predicament, but between KCU and Rocky Vista

Rejected post-interview. Don’t be like me folks lol. Their “you’re 80% likely to get accepted” spiel got my hopes up a bit. Ah well, goodbye Denver living. I was accepted to the first program I interviewEd at in November but I guess you never know where you’ll fit! Good luck to you all!!

• Sad
Rejected post-interview. Don’t be like me folks lol. Their “you’re 80% likely to get accepted” spiel got my hopes up a bit. Ah well, goodbye Denver living. I was accepted to the first program I interviewEd at in November but I guess you never know where you’ll fit! Good luck to you all!!

I feel you on that. I got a little cocky and told friends about the 80% post-interview acceptance rate.

• Sad
Hello!

I was recently accepted to RVUCOM-SU and cannot join the Facebook page due to me not having a Facebook page. Are any other future students looking for a potential roommate here? If yes, then please DM.

Hello!

I was recently accepted to RVUCOM-SU and cannot join the Facebook page due to me not having a Facebook page. Are any other future students looking for a potential roommate here? If yes, then please DM.
Trust me on this. It would be a serious mistake to try and make it through med school without a facebook page. So many important reminders and tips flow through that group that you’ll be doing yourself a disservice.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Have you guys already filled out the Fafsa? Would we all be considered Independent since medical school is a graduate program?

Yes, I recommend filling it out and putting all the schools you have interviewed at. Parental income is not required (although some schools require it for need-based aid).

Should be RVUCOM-CO Class of 2024
Hi all, I am a longtime Colorado resident who will be attending medical school out of state. While in med school, I will be renting out 1-2 bedrooms in my Denver Tech Center area home, which has mountain views and is in a beautiful neighborhood 15 minutes from RVU by car. It is a short walk to a great health club as well as to the Highline Canal bike path/riding trails. If interested, please let me know.

Has anyone whose decision was deferred until after the 7th heard anything?

does anyone know if the school includes the cost of a laptop in the total cost of attendance?

+1 on accepted pending! Do you know how many people are on this list so far? Is there a good likelihood that seats will open up for this fall?

+1 on accepted pending! Do you know how many people are on this list so far? Is there a good likelihood that seats will open up for this fall?
Congrats!! They said at the interview that they have initiated APS every year for the past 5 years and everyone matriculated into the class they applied except for last year a handful of students didnt. I'm hoping that means our chances are good for this fall!

What does that mean?
It means that they have already accepted as many students that they have seats. So if seats open up then we have them otherwise we are guaranteed a spot in next years class!

Congrats to everyone else. I also received an Accepted Pending Space email this morning. Do you guys think we can join the FB group now or should wait until we are officially accepted?

does anyone know if the school includes the cost of a laptop in the total cost of attendance?
it does not but you can apply to increase your COA to include it
Congrats to everyone else. I also received an Accepted Pending Space email this morning. Do you guys think we can join the FB group now or should wait until we are officially accepted?

Join it now, they post a lot of info and most people that get on the accepted pending space get in

It is pass/fail
Well... not really. You get a numerical grade and have a definitive class rank.
Edit: I still don't understand why they say it's pass/fail when it's clearly not. They told me the same thing in 2016 and it wasn't true then either.

Last edited:
Do we get refunded for Pre-Check? its the immunzations/background check and immunizations

Well... not really. You get a numerical grade and have a definitive class rank.
Edit: I still don't understand why they say it's pass/fail when it's clearly not. They told me the same thing in 2016 and it wasn't true then either.
They changed it for the current first years where it is actually pass fail. They keep the numeric grades for class rank which is reported in quartiles or something like that.

They changed it for the current first years where it is actually pass fail. They keep the numeric grades for class rank which is reported in quartiles or something like that.
Oh, interesting. I didn't realize they finally changed it. What they really need to do is reintroduce high pass to clinical rotations.

Oh, interesting. I didn't realize they finally changed it. What they really need to do is reintroduce high pass to clinical rotations.

They might have to now that USMLE is p/f

any info from the admin faculty in regards to step 1 turning into p/f especially since their curriculum is tailored around boards?

any info from the admin faculty in regards to step 1 turning into p/f especially since their curriculum is tailored around boards?
We just got an email that it won't affect the current students but that COMLEX and NBOME are likely not going to do the same. USMLE is dropping "Health maintenance/Disease prevention and pharmacotherapeutics" and COMLEX is not.

The super ironic thing would be if COMLEX suddenly became a positive thing

We just got an email that it won't affect the current students but that COMLEX and NBOME are likely not going to do the same. USMLE is dropping "Health maintenance/Disease prevention and pharmacotherapeutics" and COMLEX is not.

The super ironic thing would be if COMLEX suddenly became a positive thing
So is the general consensus that the USMLE Pass/Fail is VERY BAD for DO students? right?

Last edited:
So is the general consensus that the USMLE Pass/Fail is VERY BAD for DO students? right?
Your pretty much asking a guy who lived in isolation his entire life sees a fish for the the first time to know its a fricken fish.... No body knows

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using SDN mobile

I don't think anyone outside maybe the top 50 USMD schools since it will probably increase the value of school recognition, is particularly pleased with it. There are some good things in that STEP 2 is a more clinically oriented test but overall everyone is kind of upset in that it makes it harder for students at not top 50 schools to know where they stand in terms of what residencies they should target, if they even have the numbers for competitive specialties, how many apps they should send, etc. All it really does is shift the focus to STEP 2, push the stress of studying for the "big one" a year further along probably decreasing engagement during rotations, and just making it harder for students to apply to residencies as well as they can now.

All it really does is shift the focus to STEP 2, push the stress of studying for the "big one" a year further along

Except for DO students, who will have the stress of COMLEX 1 on top of the stress of COMLEX 2/USMLE Step 2 because its unclear how scores will be viewed in light of that...

Except for DO students, who will have the stress of COMLEX 1 on top of the stress of COMLEX 2/USMLE Step 2 because its unclear how scores will be viewed in light of that...
Most DO students are already taking STEP 1, RVU requires everyone to do so, and most people I have talked to are also starting to take STEP 2 on top of level 2. We had a IM residency research director give a lunch time talk from a program that I'm pretty sure used to be AOA and even they said take STEP 2 because nobody understands COMLEX

Most DO students are already taking STEP 1, RVU requires everyone to do so, and most people I have talked to are also starting to take STEP 2 on top of level 2. We had a IM residency research director give a lunch time talk from a program that I'm pretty sure used to be AOA and even they said take STEP 2 because nobody understands COMLEX

No but like currently the big factor is Step/Level 1. With this change though, for allopathic students the focus in theory is shifting to step 2 because step 1 won't show what the PD's want to see (a numerical score that helps stratify applicants). But DO students still have a scored exam 1. Will PD's keep their focus on COMLEX 1 for DO students, or ignore their COMLEX 1 in favor of their Step 2/Level 2 to maintain a single system of evaluation across allopathic and osteopathic applicants? Because that's up in the air with the maintained level 1 scoring system, the focus isn't necessarily "shifted to STEP 2" and the stress pushed along- it might just be doubled up stress trying to stay competitive for either scenario.

Last edited:

Does anyone know if RVU is still going to require us to take Step 1? Seems silly now. There’s no benefit anymore, is there?

Also, can we take Step 2 without taking Step 1?

I was under the impression that you would need to pass Step 1 in order to take Step 2 now. But I could be misinformed!

It’s been done before

Does anyone know if the school will provide us with a stethoscope, scrubs, etc.? I know we get the white coat during orientation week, is that all they provide? Do we even need the rest during preclinical years?

Does anyone know if the school will provide us with a stethoscope, scrubs, etc.? I know we get the white coat during orientation week, is that all they provide? Do we even need the rest during preclinical years?
Stethoscope/otoscope/ophthalmoscope/scrubs are not provided. You will need the first three for preclinical years + comlex PE.

Stethoscope/otoscope/ophthalmoscope/scrubs are not provided. You will need the first three for preclinical years + comlex PE.

Ah. Okay. Thank you! Do you know if we can wait until after school starts to get these things, or do we have to have these when school starts?

Ah. Okay. Thank you! Do you know if we can wait until after school starts to get these things, or do we have to have these when school starts?
You don’t need to get the stuff before school starts, but they should have a day where you order a bunch of it. MSK is the first class now, so you may need scrubs early on? Just get them from walmart, you’re gonna burn them when anatomy is over.

You don’t need to get the stuff before school starts, but they should have a day where you order a bunch of it. MSK is the first class now, so you may need scrubs early on? Just get them from walmart, you’re gonna burn them when anatomy is over.

Thank you!