2019-2020 Rocky Vista University College of Osteopathic Medicine (RVUCOM-Colorado)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So Thinking about withdrawing my II on jan 8th, Im already accepted to KCU, and I really loved the school (Im really surprised I got in to it.)
Just thought I would come here first and ask anyone if they chose RVU over KCU, and if so, why?
Hey! So i was accepted to KCU also, but I am actually leaning towards RVU. This is because of the location. I am from California and I literally do not know anyone nor ever been to the midwest before (besides my interview). The location for KCU is in kind of a sketchy area and I just felt more at home at RVU. I think both schools are close in terms of board scores and residency match rates (correct me if im wrong though).

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Just withdrew my acceptance. It was such a hard decision as I absolutely loved the school and program. I hope they give the spot to one of you soon!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just withdrew my acceptance. It was such a hard decision as I absolutely loved the school and program. I hope they give the spot to one of you soon!
Where you going instead?

Reactions: 1 user
Question for students currently attending:

Any tips on planning out housing? How early should students typically search? And are there any pages for students to coordinate with one another and find housemates?

There's a deposit due tomorrow ($750), but I was wondering what would happen if I didnt pay until Monday? Would my seat be forfeited?

Anyone else attending the interview on the 14th? I was looking to split an uber with someone if we're at the same hotel, and possibly hangout with before/after the interview.

Any tips on planning out housing? How early should students typically search? And are there any pages for students to coordinate with one another and find housemates?
I've heard Denver Tech Center and Englewood are good places to live. There's a facebook group but I don't think anyone has had any luck being added to it.

I've heard Denver Tech Center and Englewood are good places to live. There's a facebook group but I don't think anyone has had any luck being added to it.

Should we create a new facebook group? The admin created it on October 28 and hasn’t added anybody to the page. Perhaps he isn’t even attending the school anymore haha. I could create a new one if people are interested!

Should we create a new facebook group? The admin created it on October 28 and hasn’t added anybody to the page. Perhaps he isn’t even attending the school anymore haha. I could create a new one if people are interested!
I think this is a good idea. I’m trying to figure out housing/roommate options sooner rather than later.

Members don't see this ad :)
Withdrawing my acceptance here today. Hope it goes to one of you guys, best of luck!

Parker area is also really nice. I’d try and live as close as possible to the school. I lived on Broncos Parkway and it was great.

Secondary was Complete on 10/14 with an MCAT of 501...... no interview yet from here but it is one of my top schools. Anyone else out there waiting this long?

How do you guys feel about the school being for-profit?

This is one of my concerns as well. I just interviewed and absolutely loved the school and the student culture as well as the military presence. One of my reservations is the school being owned by St. George's.

From what I was told on interview day, the only implications it has on students is the school gets things quicker for students. They said they were able to buy 10 ultrasound machines within a week or two, where as at a non-profit it would have taken months to get approved. Other than that it just means the school is taxed differently.

Ehh I really haven't noticed anything as far as the for-profit status sits. It's a DO school, so you're paying through the nose anyway, so nothing unusual. The thought of being owned by St. George's though is what feels wrong.

This is one of my concerns as well. I just interviewed and absolutely loved the school and the student culture as well as the military presence. One of my reservations is the school being owned by St. George's.
I did not know this.. Does this mean that very few people get scholarships and grants?

Ehh I really haven't noticed anything as far as the for-profit status sits. It's a DO school, so you're paying through the nose anyway, so nothing unusual. The thought of being owned by St. George's though is what feels wrong.
I'm not sure about this year, but I believe last year their rejection letters recommended their students to apply to St. George's instead, which makes me uneasy.

That being said, this school is amazing and has proved themselves with amazing board passing rates with students finding success in traditionally competitive residencies at well-known programs.

Would anyone go to KCU instead of Rocky Vista? Why or why not?

I'm not sure about this year, but I believe last year their rejection letters recommended their students to apply to St. George's instead, which makes me uneasy.

That being said, this school is amazing and has proved themselves with amazing board passing rates with students finding success in traditionally competitive residencies at well-known programs.
Yep. I was rejected last year. CO resident with 3.9 and 516, and they told me to apply to SGU... lol now an M1 at USMD. Kinda made me glad I was rejected

Yep. I was rejected last year. CO resident with 3.9 and 516, and they told me to apply to SGU... lol now an M1 at USMD. Kinda made me glad I was rejected
Yeah with those stats you weren’t meant to go DO. Back when I applied I got into RVU with a 500/3.8.

“If you’re accepted we will give you a call, otherwise if your placed on the alternate list or not accepted you’ll receive an email”.

email received

Good morning! We wanted to let you know we are delayed on finalizing admissions decisions from interviews held January 8-10 and 13-15. We anticipate having those decisions by either the end of this week or beginning of next week, and we will notify you as soon as possible. We apologize for the delay!”

Nothing like a little roller coaster ride in the mornin

Reactions: 2 users
“If you’re accepted we will give you a call, otherwise if your placed on the alternate list or not accepted you’ll receive an email”.

email received

Good morning! We wanted to let you know we are delayed on finalizing admissions decisions from interviews held January 8-10 and 13-15. We anticipate having those decisions by either the end of this week or beginning of next week, and we will notify you as soon as possible. We apologize for the delay!”

Nothing like a little roller coaster ride in the mornin
Right... I replied and asked if our deposit/decision is till due on the 31st.

Seeing that email scared me into thinking I got an R.

Reactions: 3 users
Have you guys already filled out the Fafsa? Would we all be considered Independent since medical school is a graduate program?

Just received the email several minutes ago. Accepted pending seat!

Edit: Interviewed 1/14

• Love
From what I remember years ago is that the people that were accepted pending a seat this early ended up getting accepted later. I hope that helps.

Now for the tough decision of deciding AT Still or RVU :confused:, I guess it is a good problem to have!

Any tips?

Do they have more upcoming interviews or were you guys the last batch?

What are you leaning towards?
Not 100% sure. Going to have a long conversation with my advisor next week about pros and cons of both schools. At both interviews I felt very comfortable at the school and felt as if I matched the school very well. However, both schools are very different and have different cultures. But both are tremendous options.

Just received the email several minutes ago. Accepted pending seat!

Edit: Interviewed 1/14

I was just notified today that I would be interviewing for this position at the South Utah campus. They didn't tell me when I initially scheduled the interview a couple weeks ago. Did they tell you they were offering "acceptance pending seat" prior to arriving at the interview?

From what I remember years ago is that the people that were accepted pending a seat this early ended up getting accepted later. I hope that helps.

Thanks! This is helpful information. I was reading past threads trying to find a comment just like this.

I was just notified today that I would be interviewing for this position at the South Utah campus. They didn't tell me when I initially scheduled the interview a couple weeks ago. Did they tell you they were offering "acceptance pending seat" prior to arriving at the interview?

Thanks! This is helpful information. I was reading past threads trying to find a comment just like this.
When they briefed us on interview day they mentioned we may be interviewing for an APS spot since around this time of year they are nearly full or are already full. But we weren't fully certain if we were interviewing for open seats or APS.