2019-2020 Rocky Vista University College of Osteopathic Medicine (RVUCOM-Colorado)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone know what the 3rd and 4th year rotations will be like? Are they year longs or is there a lot of travelling involved? I haven't been able to find out too much info online yet :S

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone know what the 3rd and 4th year rotations will be like? Are they year longs or is there a lot of travelling involved? I haven't been able to find out too much info online yet :S

3rd year is lottery based in terms of rotation sites. The sites of those rotations is on the RVU website but here's the guide - http://www.rvu.edu/wp-content/uploads/2020/01/20200127_RVUCOM-CO_ClinicalSiteGuide.pdf
I think about 1/2 the class stays in the Denver area for 3rd year and the rest are dispersed among the other sites.

4th year is Sub Is and electives, which you mostly set up on your own so you could be all over the country depending where you get those set up. Those usually last 2-4 weeks depending on the hospital, program, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
T
3rd year is lottery based in terms of rotation sites. The sites of those rotations is on the RVU website but here's the guide - http://www.rvu.edu/wp-content/uploads/2020/01/20200127_RVUCOM-CO_ClinicalSiteGuide.pdf
I think about 1/2 the class stays in the Denver area for 3rd year and the rest are dispersed among the other sites.

4th year is Sub Is and electives, which you mostly set up on your own so you could be all over the country depending where you get those set up. Those usually last 2-4 weeks depending on the hospital, program, etc.

Thank you for the info and link! It looks like once you get your lottery location, you stay at that location for the duration of the year and rotate between the different hospitals and clinics listed?

Is the entire 4th year at random locations across the country? Or can you set up most of your Sub Is and electives in CO? My wife is going to kill me if I move her and the kids all the way across the country and then basically spend a year away from them lol.

Reactions: 1 users
T

Thank you for the info and link! It looks like once you get your lottery location, you stay at that location for the duration of the year and rotate between the different hospitals and clinics listed?

That is correct for 3rd year. Usually for Denver, you rotate between different hospitals/clinics around the city vs if you are in a location like Pueblo, it is mostly one hospital so you don't have to switch as much. Obviously Pros and Cons to both.

Is the entire 4th year at random locations across the country? Or can you set up most of your Sub Is and electives in CO? My wife is going to kill me if I move her and the kids all the way across the country and then basically spend a year away from them lol.

4th year is mostly up to you. If you can find preceptors in the Denver area, then I assume you can mostly stay here. Depending on the specialty you're interested in and how competitive as an applicant you are, you may want to do quite a few Sub Is and electives at places you potentially want to go for residency. Between interviews, Sub Is, and away rotations, you will likely be all over the place for at least the first half of fourth year. But that's with anywhere you go for medical school (osteopathic schools anyway).

Hey everyone, I was checking myvista this morning but no longer saw the applicant tab which showed my status on the waitlist and application info. Does this have any significance or is this some error?

Hey everyone, I was checking myvista this morning but no longer saw the applicant tab which showed my status on the waitlist and application info. Does this have any significance or is this some error?
I just noticed this as well and was wondering the same thing!

I emailed Katy this morning and they got back to me. There wasn't a status change or anything, they had IT restore the tab for me and said I'm still registered as an alternate in their system

They postponed the white coat ceremony until we can do it in person!

Does anyone know when we should be receiving financial aid info? All of my required documents are in but I haven't received any award yet.

Does anyone know when we should be receiving financial aid info? All of my required documents are in but I haven't received any award yet.

the budget isn’t finalized yet, they are still waiting on the cost of student health insurance

Members don't see this ad :)
Just withdrew. RVU was one of my top choices, so it was a tough decision to make. Hoping one of you hears back with good news soon!

I emailed Katy this morning and they got back to me. There wasn't a status change or anything, they had IT restore the tab for me and said I'm still registered as an alternate in their system
Did your portal update to show APS status again? I emailed Katy as well and she said the glitch was fixed and I'm back the APS status. The tab has reappeared but my status says no results returned by this query.

Did your portal update to show APS status again? I emailed Katy as well and she said the glitch was fixed and I'm back the APS status. The tab has reappeared but my status says no results returned by this query.
Mine also showed no results but they reassured me I'm still in the same position

Wow was anyone else insulted by this from the email they just sent out?

For those who are concerned about tuition, we have been informed that our affiliated school, St. Georges University (SGU) will offer an automatic acceptance along with a generous Partnership Grant of $20,000, in addition to any other scholarships or grants that students may be eligible for, to any member of the Class of 2024 who would like to attend their medical school. They also offer a “Why Wait” program which allows students to start the MD program online at SGU in August. If the student determines that the program isn’t right for him/her, SGU will reimburse the tuition and fees and the student will be allowed to matriculate at RVUCOM or the school of their choice the following year. SGU has scheduled a presentation for accepted RVUCOM candidates to explore this option if interested. The presentation will be held on (date) and can be accessed by (link).

For those who are concerned about tuition, we have been informed that our affiliated school, St. Georges University (SGU) will offer an automatic acceptance along with a generous Partnership Grant of $20,000, in addition to any other scholarships or grants that students may be eligible for, to any member of the Class of 2024 who would like to attend their medical school. They also offer a “Why Wait” program which allows students to start the MD program online at SGU in August. If the student determines that the program isn’t right for him/her, SGU will reimburse the tuition and fees and the student will be allowed to matriculate at RVUCOM or the school of their choice the following year. SGU has scheduled a presentation for accepted RVUCOM candidates to explore this option if interested. The presentation will be held on (date) and can be accessed by (link).

They also gave the people matriculating the option to defer a year because of the current covid 19 situation. What are your guys thoughts on this?

I actually took this the opposite way. I thought this was a great opportunity to live in a beautiful country while extremely lowering the amount of debt that I will have once becoming a physician. I am highly considering this offer. And with taking COVID into consideration this option is even more appealing to me.

They also gave the people matriculating the option to defer a year because of the current covid 19 situation. What are your guys thoughts on this?

I think it’s good for people that can afford to defer

Current 4th year here. Like above rotation sites are based on lottery, but with that being said the overwhelming majority of the class is split between Denver, North Denver, and Colorado Springs. You are locked into that region for your 3rd year and will complete all your rotations there. I was in Denver and my longest commute was 30 min each way, some friends in North Denver had 45-60m each way.

As for quality of rotations, I can only speak to Denver, but theres a mix of academic based residency rotations and then preceptorship where you are one on one with docs. Residency programs you can be exposed to include IM, FM, Psych, Gen Surg. Overall a good balance and good quality, but it is what you make of it and what you put into it you get out of it.

4th year is entirely elective and SubIs, which can be absolutely anywhere you want. There are options to stay in denver, but some people use this as an opportunity to move to an area where they hope to do residency and grind to find their own rotations.

Reactions: 2 users
Withdrawing my A from here as I got off the waitlist at my top choice today! RVU is a great place and I was excited to attend, hopefully it goes to one of you guys! :)

Withdrawing my A from here as I got off the waitlist at my top choice today! RVU is a great place and I was excited to attend, hopefully it goes to one of you guys! :)

Wow late! Hopefully you can get your housing and pre-matriculation stuff figured out there soon. Congrats!

When is deposit due for this school? Looks like several people are quite far along in their decision-making process regarding attendance lol.

Hello peoples, I hope all your studies are going well during your first semester in medical school! I was just put on the alternate list for the 2021 entering class. Can anyone speak on how this works? Is there any chance that I'll get off or am I at a dead end? (Interviewed 9/28)