2019-2020 South Florida

Started by PapaGuava
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Waitlisted. Interviewed Dec. 9th for SELECT.

Check your mail! Sent it through snail mail not email. Does anyone know if they pull a decent amount from the waitlist?
 
Also got the email for second look! I feel like the admissions team are finally catching up after the holidays and the building move?
 
I had an 11/12 CORE interview and I called Michelle earlier today. She said that the admissions committee didn't start reviewing the interviewees from 11/12 until yesterday and that I could expect an answer within 4-6 weeks. Doesn't really seem to make sense bc I could've sworn I saw people in this thread who interviewed later and got accepted but that's what she said.
 
I had an 11/12 CORE interview and I called Michelle earlier today. She said that the admissions committee didn't start reviewing the interviewees from 11/12 until yesterday and that I could expect an answer within 4-6 weeks. Doesn't really seem to make sense bc I could've sworn I saw people in this thread who interviewed later and got accepted but that's what she said.

I think those people were all SELECT. It seems no one from 10/22 or 10/29 CORE have been accepted yet. Did she happen to say if they had finished reviewing the October interviewees?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I think those people were all SELECT. It seems no one from 10/22 or 10/29 CORE have been accepted yet. Did she happen to say if they had finished reviewing the October interviewees?
She didn't say anything about October but if the committee just got to reviewing 11/12 interviewees yesterday then I assume they're wrapping up on late October interviewees and will probably be contacting them soon. Just guessing though.
 
I think those people were all SELECT. It seems no one from 10/22 or 10/29 CORE have been accepted yet. Did she happen to say if they had finished reviewing the October interviewees?
I don’t know about this. I was a December CORE interviewee and got the call. If they go in order then this wouldn’t make sense
 
Here’s what I think is going on:

For those who are CORE and haven’t heard anything post interview for a few months, I think you’re probably waitlisted. Judging from last year, they seem to do a lot of waitlisting after the first few months of interviewing. The reason it’s taking a long time to hear back is probably because they use snail mail for people who are waitlisted (think about it, this takes time as each applicants info needs to be enveloped and mailed, not to mention the recent holidays + move downtown). This also explains why there is so few people on here who have heard anything recently for CORE (they call for acceptances, hence why the person on here who interviewed in December for CORE received their decision). That’s just my $.02
 
Here’s what I think is going on:

For those who are CORE and haven’t heard anything post interview for a few months, I think you’re probably waitlisted. Judging from last year, they seem to do a lot of waitlisting after the first few months of interviewing. The reason it’s taking a long time to hear back is probably because they use snail mail for people who are waitlisted (think about it, this takes time as each applicants info needs to be enveloped and mailed, not to mention the recent holidays + move downtown). This also explains why there is so few people on here who have heard anything recently for CORE (they call for acceptances, hence why the person on here who interviewed in December for CORE received their decision). That’s just my $.02
Here's my $.02 😉:

I'm an applicant who interviewed on 11/12. I called the admissions office (I think sometime the week of January 13th) and spoke to Michelle. She said that the committee had not yet met for that interview date and it wouldn't be for another few weeks until they actually met and discussed the 11/12 interviewees. So, this (somewhat) confirms that yes, it's possible that the committee just started reviewing 11/12ers last night, but who really knows at this point 🤔
 
Oh then I have literally no clue and can’t justify their decision making process at all
Who can ‍♀️ I’m hopeful they haven’t met for different interview dates like @jxa said above especially with the move and holidays.
also I got messaged asking: I’m OOS
 
Here's my $.02 😉:

I'm an applicant who interviewed on 11/12. I called the admissions office (I think sometime the week of January 13th) and spoke to Michelle. She said that the committee had not yet met for that interview date and it wouldn't be for another few weeks until they actually met and discussed the 11/12 interviewees. So, this (somewhat) confirms that yes, it's possible that the committee just started reviewing 11/12ers last night, but who really knows at this point 🤔
I was more referring to those applicant who haven’t heard since October, but keep us updated if you do end up getting that call
 
Interviewing in 11 days lmao. Yeah, I looked through the recent months post, and it’s not looking too good for me lmao.
no I wouldn't worry about the decision just because it's late. Also, based on previous years threads they do a lot of WL movement so don't sweat it. I just wanna know how long it would take them to get back to you about whatever their decision is.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just based on talking to the other people I interviewed with, one was totally laidback and one was a little more pressure, not bad pressure like grilling you but just, took no BS.
Not sure if this has been asked before, but how was the actual interview? Laidback or more pressured style?

I actually only had 1 interview, and I got grilled hard, probably harder than any other school. But to be honest, it was also kinda nice because my interviewer (he was a faculty researcher) didn't "hide" stuff. And hey, I got in.

What I mean is that for another top school of mine that I was REALLY banking on getting in (for IS tuition), it was "conversational" (which everyone always seems to praise so much) but what they seem to forget is that the interviewer is still going to write awful reviews (or just not recommend) at least half of their interviewees.

So if you get grilled, just don't panic and be confident and humble. It may end up actually being the interview where you did best, even if you didn't realize it.
 
Hey everyone!
I know they're moving the classes to the downtown building. Does anyone know if most students drive to the new campus? How is the parking downtown, is it realistic to be able to live where the rent is cheaper and drive to class?
 
Hey everyone!
I know they're moving the classes to the downtown building. Does anyone know if most students drive to the new campus? How is the parking downtown, is it realistic to be able to live where the rent is cheaper and drive to class?
I went to USF for undergrad and I've heard most med students live downtown close to the campus. But Tampa is a very drivable area so you could easily find a cheaper place to live a couple exits before downtown and drive there